• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo

Also a possibility but are you sure it's not shorting? When you switched the case did you check that there is nothing touching the mobo behind it? Maybe you left one of those screw holders in spot that touches the mobo and it doesn't always connect but when it does the problems occur.
Probably not, but I've seen first time builders have this problem. Though normally it just wouldn't boot at all if this was the case, only fans running.

I have a challenge. I need the cheapest motherboard processor and the ram combo. It's not required for anything other than testing graphics cards and hard drives so a pci e slot and some data ports are all that is required.

All parts need to be new.

Would really appreciate some help

Hayvic

Also a possibility but are you sure it's not shorting? When you switched the case did you check that there is nothing touching the mobo behind it? Maybe you left one of those screw holders in spot that touches the mobo and it doesn't always connect but when it does the problems occur.
Probably not, but I've seen first time builders have this problem. Though normally it just wouldn't boot at all if this was the case, only fans running.

I considered shorting. Pretty sure I placed the spacers in the right spots though. I need to also check out all the case connectors, you never know. Will do that tonight.

Just wait to replace your PSU, see if the BIOS problem still persists. If it does, your CMOS battery might be faulty.

Sounds either Motherboard or PSU related to me since it keeps resetting the BIOS like the Motherboard is losing power. I'd check the 24 pin and 4 pin cables to the motherboard. Either make sure they're in all the way or unplug them and securely plug them back in. If it keeps happening I'd try a different PSU, after that a different mobo.

Thanks, you confirmed my suspicions. I ordered a new PSU because my old one is too noisy so I want to replace it anyway.

ahoyle77

So pc gaf...looking at getting a desktop for my son (11). He will primarily use it for gaming, mostly minecraft right now, but also light school work. I want it to be upgradeable.

In US.
Buying in a month or 2.
Budget 600-800.
I have a monitor, its older. 19 inch with 1680x1050. It only has vga and dvi input, will that be a problem?

Thanks!

Oh yeah...looking at this one so far.
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16883102078

kennah

I have a challenge. I need the cheapest motherboard processor and the ram combo. It's not required for anything other than testing graphics cards and hard drives so a pci e slot and some data ports are all that is required.

All parts need to be new.

Would really appreciate some help
Just sort by price on pc parts picker.

Skii

Just started building the PC and nothing has gone up in flames (yet). Just a quick question, is it recommended to attach the wireless TP link card now whilst the motherboard is out of the case or near the end when it's in the case?

Just started building the PC and nothing has gone up in flames (yet). Just a quick question, is it recommended to attach the wireless TP link card now whilst the motherboard is out of the case or near the end when it's in the case?

Personally I prefer to put the pci-e cards after I put the mobo into the case.

NeoGAF, yesterday I had all my parts. I built the computer, and got the memok problem, no POST, on my ASUS A170-A.

Is there a known compatibility issue between the ASUS A170-A Board and these Ripjaws?

Cant find any on the internet and based on the walkthroughs I did, it's either that, the CPU, or the motherboard being broken.

My Part List

98C? Remount for sure. You want under 70C load if possible.

Hah I will try, during normal use it never goes above 45-55 while playing tf2 or mgs, just when I did prime 95.

The only other odd thing is that after playing sometimes for an hour or so the PC in tf2 will do a hard lock and I will have to restart the PC, this may be coincidental, but didn't happen until after trying to install the evo. Any thoughts and I appreciate the feedback already.

I am dumb, I didn't tighten the middle screw in the x-bracket... Should I tighten it now or uninstall it all and start over? Been about 2 days since I put mx-3 Tim on there.

low-G

NeoGAF, yesterday I had all my parts. I built the computer, and got the memok problem, no POST, on my ASUS A170-A.

Is there a known compatibility issue between the ASUS A170-A Board and these Ripjaws?

Cant find any on the internet and based on the walkthroughs I did, it's either that, the CPU, or the motherboard being broken.

My Part List

Did you check the motherboard manual? I also got that mobo but different g skill RAM, & my RAM is NOT in the mobo manual so I am wary. But maybe yours is?

BigAT

Any recommendations on a super cheap sound card? I don't know any bells and whistles, just need something since I'm having problems with my on board sound.

Vuze

My new PSU arrived and my experience with modular cables was great! Build looks much better now. Still not perfect, but quite the improvement. And more importantly: silence at last! Turned on the PSUs eco mode too so the fan won't even spin up until it reaches 20% load or a certain temperature :)

I noticed that my 970 bends a bit btw, but apparently that's normal? It works fine and doesn't produce any awkward noises so I'm just mildly worried.

My new PSU arrived and my experience with modular cables was great! Build looks much better now. Still not perfect, but quite the improvement. And more importantly: silence at last! Turned on the PSUs eco mode too so the fan won't even spin up until it reaches 20% load or a certain temperature :)

I noticed that my 970 bends a bit btw, but apparently that's normal? It works fine and doesn't produce any awkward noises so I'm just mildly worried.
Take a picture if you want but yeah that is normal. Which card is it? I had an old msi gaming 4g 970 which also drooped a bit, totally fine.

Alright. This is my pc as it is now

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB S-1155
Intel DP67BGB3 ATX S-1155
8GB DDR3 1600MHz Kingston HyperX (4x2GB)
1280MB Gigabyte Nvidia GTX570 GDDR5 PCI-E
Cooler Master HAF 922 u/PSU
750W Corsair TX CMPSU-750TXEU 140mm

Been looking to upgrade and want to buy the MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G . I'm an idiot so just want to make sure it will play together alright with the motherboard and everything. Or if there's something else you would recommend upgrading.

Vuze

Take a picture if you want but yeah that is normal. Which card is it? I had an old msi gaming 4g 970 which also drooped a bit, totally fine.
Yup, it's the same model, got it at launch so it's pretty old as well. It doesn't look crazy, I just noticed it for the first time now. Guess it's fine then, thanks :)

Skii

With your case, the power supply should be at the pointing down towards the grill on the underside of the case.

Yeah, realised that. Helps to use some common sense.

Now I'm majorly stuck on mounting my motherboard into the case. The holes just don't line up. It might be the fan in the case that is slightly obstructing something or the motherboard shield not properly lining up with the ports on the motherboard. I can't really tell.

Is the little thing sticking out in the middle of the case supposed to come out of the motherboard to ensure it is lined up? I can't seem to do that. I also have a stand off screw and wrench that I have no idea what its for lol.

EDIT: I managed to finally get it in. I'm being a bit too cautious with stuff because I expect everything to be extremely fragile. Same happened with CPU and Ram as well haha.

Irobot82

Ok GAF I could use some advice.

I plan on upgrading my GPU next year with the new node shrink. I have some money I came into now and was looking into buying a new monitor.

So my thoughts are thus.

1. Pick up a 24" 1080p 144hz monitor.
2. Try and find a QNIX 1440p DVI-D only and hope to get a decent OC on it. OR this one Crossover

Any advice?

hitgirl

So 21:9 monitors. Looking at them to use for work. Is 1440p really a big deal? We are looking at like $300 vs $1,000. I'm just using it for spreadsheet doing and writing. I'll have it hooked up to a good PC so might play some simulation games on it (things i can't do with my controller only HTPC setup). Should I splurge for the 1440p? It would be a difference of me paying cash vs financing it... I hear though that the 1080p it's just not that great for productivity, the vertical pixels are not enough. Also will a 780 overclocked and a i5 3570k machine run racing games at 60fps on a 1440p 21:9 monitor?

Alright. This is my pc as it is now

Been looking to upgrade and want to buy the MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G . I'm an idiot so just want to make sure it will play together alright with the motherboard and everything. Or if there's something else you would recommend upgrading.

You're all set for an upgrade. I think the MSI 970 is an awesome card, I have one myself.

harz-marz

So 21:9 monitors. Looking at them to use for work. Is 1440p really a big deal? We are looking at like $300 vs $1,000. I'm just using it for spreadsheet doing and writing. I'll have it hooked up to a good PC so might play some simulation games on it (things i can't do with my controller only HTPC setup). Should I splurge for the 1440p? It would be a difference of me paying cash vs financing it... I hear though that the 1080p it's just not that great for productivity, the vertical pixels are not enough. Also will a 780 overclocked and a i5 3570k machine run racing games at 60fps on a 1440p 21:9 monitor?

1440P is the best upgrade I've made. Using an Asus Predator gsync and could never go back.

phaonaut

Currently running a build from 2011 that needs some upgrades badly to hold me over until I can completely restart.

Current Setup
8gb Ram

I'm trying to stay under $400 and want to upgrade gpu/ram/and add an ssd.

Getting to my question...
My local Micro Center has an open box 290x for $207(+tax) or I can grab a Evga b-stock 970 online for $255. Which should I go with? I haven't bought open box or b-stock before, but I want to do this on the cheap since I plan to build new system next year.

darthbob

Can't wait to get paid so I can upgrade my cruddy old PC.

Old build: AMD FX-8350, 990FX board, 8GB single channel DDR3 1600, GTX 570.

New build: Intel 6600k, Asus Z170A board, 2x4GB DDR4 2133, GTX 960.

Can't wait.

Currently running a build from 2011 that needs some upgrades badly to hold me over until I can completely restart.

Current Setup
8gb Ram

My local Micro Center has an open box 290x for $207(+tax) or I can grab a Evga b-stock 970 online for $255. Which should I go with? I haven't bought open box or b-stock before, but I want to do this on the cheap since I plan to build new system next year.

That CPU will hold you a bit longer. The GPU's on the other hand, is that a 4GB 290x? Things to think about if you go with the 290x

• Bigger power requirement
  • More heat
  • A little better @ 1440p vs GTX 970 - Worse @ 1080p however

I want to say get the 970, but that 290x at that price is really tempting. You'll get equal performance out of both of them however.

Current Setup
8gb Ram

Get the 290x.

Skii

Guys, quick question, is the CPU cooler fan positioned correctly or is it supposed to be on the other side?

7mwnMbZ.jpg

If its too difficult to see, it is positioned above the ram.

Rufus

Guys, quick question, is the CPU cooler fan positioned correctly or is it supposed to be on the other side?

If its too difficult to see, it is positioned above the ram.
That's correct, yes. Provided the fan is blowing towards the back of the case.

phaonaut

That CPU will hold you a bit longer. The GPU's on the other hand, is that a 4GB 290x? Things to think about if you go with the 290x

• Bigger power requirement
  • More heat
  • A little better @ 1440p vs GTX 970 - Worse @ 1080p however

I want to say get the 970, but that 290x at that price is really tempting. You'll get equal performance out of both of them however.

Get the 290x.

Thanks

I have a 650w psu kind of concerned it might not be enough for 290x. Can anyone confirm if that will suffice?

Mr. Hyde

Does anyone use a battery backup unit for their PC? I see a lot of good reviews and then I see horror stories about the sine wave frying their PCS due to not being compatible with PSUs. I am rebuilding my PC after it was fried in the lightning storm and I want to make sure it's as protected as it can be.

Does anyone use a battery backup unit for their PC? I see a lot of good reviews and then I see horror stories about the sine wave frying their PCS due to not being compatible with PSUs. I am rebuilding my PC after it was fried in the lightning storm and I want to make sure it's as protected as it can be.

We have APC-branded units at work. They seem to work fine, I've only used it once or twice.

Izayoi

Banned
Does anyone want to take a HAF X off my hands? It's four years old, at this point, but it's in very good condition. I'm gifting my old computer to my fiancee and doing a small rebuild (putting it in a mid-tower and replacing the power supply), the HAF X is just too cumbersome to deal with at this point.

Edit: Probably would be best if you are in the greater Seattle area, as shipping would probably be half the amount of the case itself.

Does anyone want to take a HAF X off my hands? It's four years old, at this point, but it's in very good condition. I'm gifting my old computer to my fiancee and doing a small rebuild (putting it in a mid-tower and replacing the power supply), the HAF X is just too cumbersome to deal with at this point.

Where are you located? And please PM me with the cost, thanks.

ineji

Neo Member
Does anyone know if there is anywhere that still sells Ivybridge (looking at Z77) mini ITX boards in Europe?

I'm looking at moving to an ITX build, but I don't want to buy a new processor

LordAlu

It's kinda your preference really. With mATX you lose a few expansion slots, usually two SATA ports, less fan connectors etc, but in reality most people have two or three drives and just a single graphics card and wireless or sound card, so mATX is fine. Plus you can do smaller builds.

With X99 you get a bit more going ATX though, due to the extra lanes and quad-channel memory (with ATX you'll get eight memory slots instead of four on X99).

That second one is ATX btw (unless you meant to choose between mATX or ATX, in which case, go for your preference!) :)

hitgirl

Is there a good site to check for monitor deals? Dont really wanna subject my self to the contact sale deluge of fatwallet.

Mika

Hi again, I stopped by a couple months ago for some advice, and after tweaking things here and there I think I'm about ready to start buying everything. Just wanted to get some eyes on it to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NVt2CJ

Main thing I'm concerned about is I feel maybe I'm cheaping out too much on the monitor, considering all the other stuff I'm cramming in there? I think I'd at least want something IPS for the viewing angles/color accuracy (do a fair amount of Photoshop). Would something like the PA248Q be better? Or are there other recommendations here?

Also, if I wanted to go for a higher-end second screen later on (with G-sync?) what would you recommend I look at?

noshten

New Machine just arrived:

MAIN BOARD ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER/1150
CPU I7-4790K /4.0G/8MB/BOX/LGA1150
HDD ADATA SSD SP920 128GB
VIDEO CARD ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
CASE CM FORCE 500
CASE PSU FORTRON HYPER 700 700W
Corsair DDR3, 1333MHz 8GB 1X240 DIMM, x 2

Skii

Another question... I'm almost done now but I want to know if my case's fan (NZXT S340) can be connected to my motherboard (Z170-A)?

I think it has a Molex connector and the case's manual suggests sticking that into the PSU but I want to connect it to the motherboard so I can control fan speed. I can pull away a part that can only take in 3 prongs whilst my motherboard CHA FAN 1 has 4 prongs. What should I do?

SliChillax

It's kinda your preference really. With mATX you lose a few expansion slots, usually two SATA ports, less fan connectors etc, but in reality most people have two or three drives and just a single graphics card and wireless or sound card, so mATX is fine. Plus you can do smaller builds.

With X99 you get a bit more going ATX though, due to the extra lanes and quad-channel memory (with ATX you'll get eight memory slots instead of four on X99).

That second one is ATX btw (unless you meant to choose between mATX or ATX, in which case, go for your preference!) :)

Since I'm on a budget getting a Micro ATX mobo would mean to get a smaller case since it wouldn't make sense on my full size tower. I'll get the normal ATX mobo I posted, is it good or would you recommend anything else for that price range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom