• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks,

Do you think that the 4690 or 4790k setups will also be more than sufficient for pascal? If I don't really need to upgrade to skylake then that would be better!

The only reason I could think you could benefit from an overclocked Skylake i7 + high freq DDR4 over what you already have, is for trying to reach 120/144fps (which is often not possible regardless). That and higher minimum frames in some games. If that's worth upgrading the whole cpu+mobo+ram that's for you to decide. I wouldn't do it. If you only play at 60fps, that upgrade makes even less sense.

Beginning to think about my next build in prep for the new cards to spread out cost

I'm currently using a i5 4690k OCd to 4.3mhz and a 980ti.

If upgrading to sky lake and an i7 6700k will I see much improvement over my i5?

It depends entirely on the kind of games you're playing. Likely though, no. The 4690k is already a very competent CPU more than capable of handling games for the foreseeable future.

The only situation I could see a better a more powerful CPU/i7 being utilized is if you are a strategy games like Total War or simulation games with heavy CPU usage like Star Citizen. Even then a lot of that is simply not being well optimized. But the benefits would be negligible unless you're trying to Stream or something as well. Then it's a different story.

Ok thanks,

Do you think that the 4690 or 4790k setups will also be more than sufficient for pascal? If I don't really need to upgrade to skylake then that would be better!

Absolutely. I really don't see any reason you need to upgrade.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So I've got myself a GTX 770 4GB model right now that has lasted me for quite some time, at least three years so far. So far its been handling games alright, however in the last six months or so I've noticed games are starting to struggle and I'm needing to lower a number of settings instead of the usual shadow quality toggle.

My question is, is it worth upgrading to the R9 390X 8GB series? I've been eyeing them off and at $579AUD its really tempting, considering that was the price I jumped into the 770 4GB model. Answers appreciated!

LilJoka

Ok thanks,

Skylake is only 5-10% faster per clock. A stock 4790k pretty much matches the stock 6700k. So either will have the same suitablity for Pascal GPUs. And if you are overclocking, then you are going to be running either CPU for atleast 3 years easily.
Im running a 3770k at 4.2Ghz and have no issues with my heavily OCd 970, nor would it have an issue with a 6700k. CPUs havent had much progress.

Also what roadrunn3r posted, is true, if you are looking for 60fps, its not important, but its more relevant at 144fps etc.

Mystic654

Has their been any news as of late when the i7-6950X will be released? Right now, I don't have a CPU for my x99 PC. If the i7-6950X is going be launched in a month or two I can wait for the new CPU.

thenexus6

So I built my first PC last week and everything seems fine so far. Coming from a silent macbook pro the fan noise is pretty irritating to me. I powered the PC on with the case open and its definitely the stock CPU cooler. I would like to replace it with some of those coolmaster ones that everyone seems to have but not sure if I want to completely remove the motherboard to do it..

I also need some advice on my cable (well lack there of) management. I took a few photos I hope they are clear. I am using the Fractal Design 1500 case.

http://imgur.com/a/IcewH

Any tips to tidy this up? Makes me slightly paranoid having poor management for cooling and air flow.

OraleeWey

A friend and I settled on this rig here. I need advice on the video card though. Should I just get the 4gb VRAM version? Or a GTX 970?
Any other comments appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($294.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax Vortex ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $698.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 09:01 EDT-0400

LilJoka

So I built my first PC last week and everything seems fine so far. Coming from a silent macbook pro the fan noise is pretty irritating to me. I powered the PC on with the case open and its definitely the stock CPU cooler. I would like to replace it with some of those coolmaster ones that everyone seems to have but not sure if I want to completely remove the motherboard to do it..

I also need some advice on my cable (well lack there of) management. I took a few photos I hope they are clear. I am using the Fractal Design 1500 case.

Any tips to tidy this up? Makes me slightly paranoid having poor management for cooling and air flow.

Cable tidy tips
1. The SATA cables to the Drives should go out the cut out next to the board, excees cable should be cable tied behind the board and then neatly plugged into the drives.

2. The PCIE cable slack should go out the PSU cut out and tied behind the board. Or you can take the PCIE cables through the PSU cutout around the back of the board Then bring them back to the front through the cut out on the side of the board nearest to the GPU an SATA ports.

3. The Red 24pin ATX cable should go out the PSU cut out, tidied behind the board and then re enter the front of the case through the cut out next to the SATA ports.

4. USB 3.0 cable to the botherboard should live behind the board and drive cages then through the cable cutout near the 24 pin ATXports beside the board.

5. Unconnected cables should be folded togethor and ziptied in a neat bundle next to where the cables exit the PSU itself.

As for the CPU fan, make sure in the BIOS you are using a custom fan curve or using a Silent option. Or install motherboard software to setup your fan curve in Windows. If that is not enough, for some it isnt, then get a custom cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212.

Also check that the cable from the CPU fan is not touching the fan blades as it looks very close.

A friend and I settled on this rig here. I need advice on the video card though. Should I just get the 4gb VRAM version? Or a GTX 970?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($294.99 @ Newegg)

That's going to be a beastly build. I would say you're good. Stick with the R9 390. It outperforms my 970 and will only do better with DX12. Keep the 8GB, I've had a number of situations where I start to run up on 4GB+ VRAM on my 970 pretty easily in many modern titles.

My only suggestion is to try and convince him to pick up 16GB of ram instead of 8.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?i..., LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566

OraleeWey

That's going to be a beastly build. I would say you're good. Stick with the R9 390. It outperforms my 970 and will only do better with DX12. Keep the 8GB, I've had a number of situations where I start to run up on 4GB+ VRAM on my 970 pretty easily in many modern titles.

My only suggestion is to try and convince him to pick up 16GB of ram instead of 8.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?i..., LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566

Okay cool thanks for the video card advice. Any particular reason he should go with 16gb though?

Canklestank

Neo Member

You shouldn't have to remove your motherboard to install a new cooler.

For cable management, besides what's mentioned above, a general rule is everything should be routed to the right side of the case, tied down or tidied in some way, and then go back through the rubber grommet nearest where it needs to go. The right side of the case is meant for cable management.

Okay cool thanks for the video card advice. Any particular reason he should go with 16gb though?

There's a number of games nowadays that actually have a minimum requirements of 8GB ram specifically for the title. Battlefront for instance. You might see some performance reduction if he is trying to run programs outside of a game while playing. I know I do this all the time with chat programs, surfing, music etc. It's just nice to have the extra overhead.

Nillansan

I just got myself an Acer XB271HU and I immediately started putting it through a few tests. Here are some pictures that I took under slightly different lightning conditions.
Brightness set to 100. said:
SkcTAA2.jpg

Brightness set to 35 (slightly darker room). said:

I am strongly considering getting a replacement, the Backlight Bleeding seems excessive and it is noticeable when gaming. Any thoughts on this? Shouldn't I expect something significantly better than this? Lowering the Brightness does indeed have a significant impact on the Bleeding, but 35 is way too low for me, somewhere between 50 and 60 is much more preferable, which in turn causes increased Bleeding.

The CPU looks fine to me.

If you're like me and think the Intel stock cooler won't cut it, a cheap Cooler Master TX3, 212 EVO, or a Cryorig H7 will do wonders to temps. Optional, though, unless you live in Florida or something. :)

I think I strongly prefer motherboards with at least 4 memory slots if it's going to be your primary motherboard. Also not a fan of Gigabyte, but that's just me (or maybe my dad's company - something surely happened for them to stop going Gigabyte!)

Buy a kit of 2x8 GB RAM if possible. 8GB works, but 16GB leaves you tons of breathing room for the life of the PC. Most games don't need more than 8 GB of RAM, but it should help with keeping more things in memory if you do have more than that.

The HDD works. SSD makes things faster for anything stored in there, but non-critical for desktops IMO.

Note that my part choices do not take into consideration appearances for the most part. Feel free to spend a bit extra if needed - oh, and don't bother with the Kingston HyperX stuff in the USA. Their DDR4 stuff are oddly overpriced over there.

The 390 is an incredible deal, but do note that it's also 100W more than the 970. Plan accordingly. If thinking of a 970, the MSI Gaming 4G version looks great, performs great, and, best of all, overclocks really well. Remember to play around with GPU overclocking.

I wouldn't want to deal with a Raidmax case. Me, I use a Corsair Carbide 100R... it's a bit small for an ATX mid-tower, but most of the important stuff are there. Keep in mind that it has only one exhaust fan, and stepping up to the 200R will give you an intake fan and a bit more legroom for everything, though you do lose the big window for the most part.

The EVGA PSU should be adequate for your needs, though if you're like me and like to keep the amount of manufacturers to a minimum, the Corsair CX500 also happens to be just ever so slightly cheaper than the EVGA.

So... if I were doing your rig I'd probably have done it like this.

Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($304.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $753.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 09:49 EDT-0400

thenexus6

Thanks for advice. I'll jump into the bios and look at fan settings and tidying up those cables later. I was just going to remove two of the drive bays for cable space.

Flaxh

Hey guys! I'm set on buying a new 1151 CPU (6600K/6700K) and I'm looking for a decent mobo and RAM now. The ASUS Z170-A seems good but is there a better option for the same price?

Hey guys! I'm set on buying a new 1151 CPU (6600K/6700K) and I'm looking for a decent mobo and RAM now. The ASUS Z170-A seems good but is there a better option for the same price?

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Edit I take that back.

I found this deal on B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1242293-REG/intel_core_i7_6700k_4_0_ghz.html

$419.99 6700k with a nice Z170 MSI gaming mobo. The promotion just started this month.

CaLe

Wait for Broadwell-E, it uses the same X99 chipset and mobos as Haswell-E. So you can get a Haswell-E for supercheap when they firesale those.

I have corsair lpx.. Gskill seems good too, but I'm not really knowledgable to give suggestion

That's true, if he can wait then he probly should. If not, the 5820k seems good enough imo, 6800k and 6850k don't look like they have much diff to the 5820k. He can still upgrade to the 10core 6950k later lol

Do we know when Broadwell-E is coming out ? June at the latest ?

You can use that cooler with a NM-I2011 mounting kit. Noctua being Noctua, they will provide you one for free. Check it out.

Thank you !

OraleeWey

If you're like me and think the Intel stock cooler won't cut it, a cheap Cooler Master TX3, 212 EVO, or a Cryorig H7 will do wonders to temps. Optional, though, unless you live in Florida or something. :)

I think I strongly prefer motherboards with at least 4 memory slots if it's going to be your primary motherboard. Also not a fan of Gigabyte, but that's just me (or maybe my dad's company - something surely happened for them to stop going Gigabyte!)

Buy a kit of 2x8 GB RAM if possible. 8GB works, but 16GB leaves you tons of breathing room for the life of the PC. Most games don't need more than 8 GB of RAM, but it should help with keeping more things in memory if you do have more than that.

The HDD works. SSD makes things faster for anything stored in there, but non-critical for desktops IMO.

Note that my part choices do not take into consideration appearances for the most part. Feel free to spend a bit extra if needed - oh, and don't bother with the Kingston HyperX stuff in the USA. Their DDR4 stuff are oddly overpriced over there.

The 390 is an incredible deal, but do note that it's also 100W more than the 970. Plan accordingly. If thinking of a 970, the MSI Gaming 4G version looks great, performs great, and, best of all, overclocks really well. Remember to play around with GPU overclocking.

I wouldn't want to deal with a Raidmax case. Me, I use a Corsair Carbide 100R... it's a bit small for an ATX mid-tower, but most of the important stuff are there. Keep in mind that it has only one exhaust fan, and stepping up to the 200R will give you an intake fan and a bit more legroom for everything, though you do lose the big window for the most part.

The EVGA PSU should be adequate for your needs, though if you're like me and like to keep the amount of manufacturers to a minimum, the Corsair CX500 also happens to be just ever so slightly cheaper than the EVGA.

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.89 @ Newegg)

We aren't planning on doing any over clocking. A CPU cooler will definitely help, but we will reserve that for later. If we see we will need it then it'll be purchased. Also, please note I keep saying we but it's ultimately his final decision. I'm just going to assemble it.

If you compare your motherboard to the one I chose, they're pretty similar. 2 RAM slots isn't an issue, I don't think since 16gb RAM is all that he will likely ever need. But we will take the more expensive one into consideration, might be a tough choice for it though so I don't see us going for the more expensive one.

Okay, I'm convinced 16gb RAM is the way to go. I'm going to steal your RAM choice. You and Aztechnology have convinced me.

He might have an HDD lying around already. We might go with a sandisk 250gb SSD or something. But we are trying to keep the costs down. And the SSD can be added later.

We will take the 970 into consideration but I think the 390 is a better choice.

And the case was just a placeholder. I'll probably head to microcenter and look for a 200R. They're pretty cheap at microcenter too. I used a 200R for my cousins PC.

Flaxh

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Edit I take that back.

I found this deal on B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1242293-REG/intel_core_i7_6700k_4_0_ghz.html

$419.99 6700k with a nice Z170 MSI gaming mobo. The promotion just started this month.

Those deals just break my heart =/ I'm portuguese so the best I can hope for is buying on PC Componentes:

There's a guy that sells me a 6700K for 250€ claiming that it's brand new only used twice but he has no proof of purchase because it was a gift. It's 125€ cheaper than the price on most stores here and I'd probably get him to lower the price but I'd probably get into trouble with RMA if the cpu stops working.

Thanks for the RAM suggestion, I'm probably set on that.

Those deals just break my heart =/ I'm portuguese so the best I can hope for is buying on PC Componentes:

There's a guy that sells me a 6700K for 250€ claiming that it's brand new only used twice but he has no proof of purchase because it was a gift. It's 125€ cheaper than the price on most stores here and I'd probably get him to lower the price but I'd probably get into trouble with RMA if the cpu stops working.

Thanks for the RAM suggestion, I'm probably set on that.

Oh sorry I should have thought about asking your location. Glad to see the RAM at least helped.
So since I recently purchased a 980ti, if I were to down the road SLI it, would that hold up against the upcoming card(s)?

From what we've heard 980ti alone will still hold up very well, SLI would way more than hold up.

kuYuri

Just as an FYI, there is a windowed version of the 200R.

We aren't planning on doing any over clocking. A CPU cooler will definitely help, but we will reserve that for later. If we see we will need it then it'll be purchased. Also, please note I keep saying we but it's ultimately his final decision. I'm just going to assemble it.

If you compare your motherboard to the one I chose, they're pretty similar. 2 RAM slots isn't an issue, I don't think since 16gb RAM is all that he will likely ever need. But we will take the more expensive one into consideration, might be a tough choice for it though so I don't see us going for the more expensive one.

Okay, I'm convinced 16gb RAM is the way to go. I'm going to steal your RAM choice. You and Aztechnology have convinced me.

He might have an HDD lying around already. We might go with a sandisk 250gb SSD or something. But we are trying to keep the costs down. And the SSD can be added later.

We will take the 970 into consideration but I think the 390 is a better choice.

And the case was just a placeholder. I'll probably head to microcenter and look for a 200R. They're pretty cheap at microcenter too. I used a 200R for my cousins PC.

Yeah, I suppose the 200R is a good bet. Windowed or not, they make fine cases for almost any build.

Just as an FYI, there is a windowed version of the 200R.

Mmm. As for windowed or not, I find it up to personal preference. Though the window in the 200R is a bit too small to my liking, as if it were an afterthought. But to each of their own I guess? Though, the 200R definitely has more clearance for everything, should you ever consider going multi-video card or use a tall tower air cooler.

Is there a reason you are going with such high frequency ram? It usually comes at a premium that's typically gives very little performance increase. Especially with that CPU

What are you using the computer for?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...g-ddr4-to-3200mhz-improve-overall-performance

Thanks, ordered the first one though. It's not that much more here, maybe $20 more than a cheap kit (to go for a fast one). Some of the digital foundry youtube videos show that you can see sometimes significant (~10%) performance gains up to around the 3000MHz mark. I can link some later if you're curious. The 3200 kit actually had worse timings than I realized at first, went with the 3000 kit.

Thanks, ordered the first one though. It's not that much more here, maybe $20 more than a cheap kit (to go for a fast one). Some of the digital foundry youtube videos show that you can see sometimes significant (~10%) performance gains up to around the 3000MHz mark. I can link some later if you're curious. The 3200 kit actually had worse timings than I realized at first, went with the 3000 kit.

I believe those benchmarks showed for weaker processors though. A 6700k is hardly weak, but I guess way down the line it may help you eek out some additional performance.

If it's the video I remember they were testing it on I3's and a 2500k?

Is there a reason you are going with such high frequency ram? It usually comes at a premium that's typically gives very little performance increase. Especially with that CPU

What are you using the computer for?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...g-ddr4-to-3200mhz-improve-overall-performance

It would be nice if people stopped giving bad advice in this thread. 3000 CL 15 is sweet spot for performance with only small price increase.

http://www.purepc.pl/pamieci_ram/te...pamieci_ram_wybrac_do_intel_skylake?page=0,18

Sacrificing up to 10% of cpu performance for 20$ savings when you are spending hundreds on pc is bad choice.

A build like this would work for you:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($308.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VN248Q-P 60Hz 23.8" Monitor ($169.00 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Cougar 200K Wired Gaming Keyboard ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1193.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 02:45 EDT-0400

I've left some room for a tablet but I have no idea what one you'd go for. You can pick up Windows from Reddit for about $25.

This is an awesome start for me! Thank you!

Firebrand

I just got myself an Acer XB271HU and I immediately started putting it through a few tests. Here are some pictures that I took under slightly different lightning conditions.

I am strongly considering getting a replacement, the Backlight Bleeding seems excessive and it is noticeable when gaming. Any thoughts on this? Shouldn't I expect something significantly better than this? Lowering the Brightness does indeed have a significant impact on the Bleeding, but 35 is way too low for me, somewhere between 50 and 60 is much more preferable, which in turn causes increased Bleeding.
Does it remain constant regardless of angle (i.e. not IPS glow)? If so I would probably consider a replacement myself, with the bleed being so heavily non-uniform and excessive in the lower right.

Unfortunately it's always a bit of a lottery when it comes to displays so who knows if the next one might have dead pixels etc.

It would be nice if people stopped giving bad advice in this thread. 3000 CL 15 is sweet spot for performance with only small price increase.

http://www.purepc.pl/pamieci_ram/te...pamieci_ram_wybrac_do_intel_skylake?page=0,18

Sacrificing up to 10% of cpu performance for 20$ savings when you are spending hundreds on pc is bad choice.

Sorry what? Here are some more examples. Beyond a certain point the diminishing returns make the difference incredibly negligible. The only time you usually see big performance gains from higher frequency ram is why you're dealing with an underperforming CPU.

gtav.jpg

19.png

Pretty much every site that I can reference shows that beyond 2133 there's very little different in terms of gaming performance. For other things yes there is a more significant difference. Video editing? Go for it! Rendering? Go for it! Compiling? Sure. Compression? Sure. Gaming? It's really not necessary.

Nillansan

Does it remain constant regardless of angle (i.e. not IPS glow)? If so I would probably consider a replacement myself, with the bleed being so heavily non-uniform and excessive in the lower right.

Thank you for the reply. I have actually just submitted a request for a replacement and returned the monitor to the local store branch. They've got an excellent return policy. I am getting a new one on Friday. It only seemed to appear when looking at it from a normal viewing angle, does it sound like IPS glow rather than backlight bleeding? Either way it was hard not to notice it when gaming.

Unfortunately it's always a bit of a lottery when it comes to displays so who knows if the next one might have dead pixels etc.

Yup, I am quite nervous about Friday to say the least. I will report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom