• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have an HTPC with an i3-2120. I just recently bought a GTX 970 for my main rig so I moved my 760 to the HTPC. I'm starting to use it now for some light gaming and emulation. I was tinkering around with Dolphin the past few days and a couple games. Performance seems decent but I know it can be quite a bit better if I upgrade my CPU.

It's an H77 mini itx board so no overclocking. What CPU would you recommend would be the best upgrade from the i3? It's a lga 1155 board. Seems most those processors aren't being made anymore and if it is new then the price is kinda high, so I'm willing to buy used on eBay. Trying to basically find the best to use for emulation and a price within reason ~$200 new or used.

LordAlu

So I have an HTPC with an i3-2120. I just recently bought a GTX 970 for my main rig so I moved my 760 to the HTPC. I'm starting to use it now for some light gaming and emulation. I was tinkering around with Dolphin the past few days and a couple games. Performance seems decent but I know it can be quite a bit better if I upgrade my CPU.

It's an H77 mini itx board so no overclocking. What CPU would you recommend would be the best upgrade from the i3? It's a lga 1155 board. Seems most those processors aren't being made anymore and if it is new then the price is kinda high, so I'm willing to buy used on eBay. Trying to basically find the best to use for emulation and a price within reason ~$200 new or used.
A used i7-3770 would be your best bet, with a bit of luck you could get one for ~$200 on eBay.

980ti I'm basically top of the line on everything. 6700k all that jazz. I really want a nice screen but, 800 is too much. I'll be nearing 2k total spent.

OraleeWey

980ti I'm basically top of the line on everything. 6700k all that jazz. I really want a nice screen but, 800 is too much. I'll be nearing 2k total spent.

Then you won't benefit from freesync. NVidia cards use GSYNC.

You can't go wrong with either of those monitors though. They're pretty similar in specs. In your case you should go with the BenQ monitor. It looks like it is a TN panel though, you get higher frame rate (144fps) but you sacrifice color accuracy. I don't know what VESA adaptive-sync is (what the BenQ supports) but a quick Google search shows that nvidia doesn't support that either. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that please. If you're going to be using your PC for competitive gameplay, such as CSGO, then TN panel is the way to go. But if you aren't interested in competitive gaming, then I would suggest an IPS display. The choice is yours thought. High frame rate is nice. With an IPS display you get better color accuracy but generally get lower frame rate (60fps) and a higher response time (about 5ms).

Arcteryx

Waste of money then, as you've got an nVidia card (which would utilize GSYNC, not FreeSync).

IMO: unless you NEED 144hz, just pick up a nice IPS 60-75hz panel for ~$250-300.

Elitist1945

Also when turning my PC on to see if it works, all the lights and fans come on, but those no display or even beeps from the MB. What could this mean?

Canklestank

Neo Member
Also when turning my PC on to see if it works, all the lights and fans come on, but those no display or even beeps from the MB. What could this mean?

Sounds like it's not POSTing. Is there an error code on the digital display on the top right of the motherboard?

EDIT: Quoted for clarity.

Gaogaogao

do I get the i5 6600k or the i7 6700k?
how big a disadvantage is the i5?

also, any good deals on (dual channel) ram?

anandtech convinced me to get the MSI Z170A SLI Plus motherboard, anything I should know?

do I get the i5 6600k or the i7 6700k?
how big a disadvantage is the i5?

also, any good deals on (dual channel) ram?

anandtech convinced me to get the MSI Z170A SLI Plus motherboard, anything I should know?

What will you be doing with the pc? If strictly gaming, the i5 is fine. If you are doing encoding or anything that is strongly threaded, i7. Alternatively, if you're keeping the PC for a long time (say 5 years out of your cpu), I'd also lean to the i7 myself.

Gaogaogao

What will you be doing with the pc? If strictly gaming, the i5 is fine. If you are doing encoding or anything that is strongly threaded, i7. Alternatively, if you're keeping the PC for a long time (say 5 years out of your cpu), I'd also lean to the i7 myself.

I just game, but I also go 5+ years between upgrades. my current cpu is a i5 750.

I'm looking to upgrade my video card. The 560 Ti is mostly fine, but it can't handle Dark Souls 3 and I doubt it will be decent for the new Deus Ex. Those two and Overwatch are the only games I'm really looking to play. Should I go for a mid range card, or just spend the extra money for a 970?

CPU is i5-3570K, 500w power supply.

OraleeWey

I'm looking to upgrade my video card. The 560 Ti is mostly fine, but it can't handle Dark Souls 3 and I doubt it will be decent for the new Deus Ex. Those two and Overwatch are the only games I'm really looking to play. Should I go for a mid range card, or just spend the extra money for a 970?

Many will probably tell you to wait for Pascal but it depends on how badly you need/want it. Otherwise the 970 is a good video card.

This guy has everything maxed and it runs 60fps on a 970

kuYuri

Depends on what settings you're playing at. You can probably do 1080p/60fps on medium settings on a GTX 950 with Overwatch. A 4GB 960 might be enough for high settings.

Deus Ex, we have no idea of the system requirements right now, but I'd guess a 970 or a 980 for 1080p/60fps on high settings depending on how optimized that version ends up being.

GAF, I'm having big problems installing my hyper 212 evo. So I put on the backplate and secured the stand offs (middle hole for skylake) and I proceeded to mount the cooler and put the bracket in between the copper pipes. When I put it in and expand it back out, the screws are over the standoffs, but after screwing one in the other side raises up a little, and it makes it near impossible to screw in unless i put excessive force on it. Not my image but kind of like this.

XzLU4cH.png

Am I doing it wrong? I'm afraid to put pressure on incase I damage my CPU. Also, is it okay to take the cooler off to see if I can position it better? Keep in mind I don't have any rubbing alcohol or anything to take off the thermal paste. This is really bumming me out :(

paskowitz

GAF, I'm having big problems installing my hyper 212 evo. So I put on the backplate and secured the stand offs (middle hole for skylake) and I proceeded to mount the cooler and put the bracket in between the copper pipes. When I put it in and expand it back out, the screws are over the standoffs, but after screwing one in the other side raises up a little, and it makes it near impossible to screw in unless i put excessive force on it. Not my image but kind of like this.

XzLU4cH.png

Am I doing it wrong? I'm afraid to put pressure on incase I damage my CPU. Also, is it okay to take the cooler off to see if I can position it better? Keep in mind I don't have any rubbing alcohol or anything to take off the thermal paste. This is really bumming me out :(

I had exactly the same problem a couple days ago. Nothing wrong in admitting defeat and starting the process over again. Wipe the TIM with alc and a cloth (CPU and cooler should be shinny). Make sure the mounting bracket is position EXACTLY how it is shown in the manual. Also be mindful of the little metal upright next to the hole (where the bracket rests) on the CPU cooler. This has to be aligned with the slot on the bracket. Finally, make sure your tighten in a alternating X pattern (top left to right... 1,4,2,3). Don't be afraid to apply a fair amount of force (don't make the PCB creak... but put some muscle behind it). Also note that the H212Evo will be a "little" loose when it is fully tightened... this is normal.

Gaogaogao

we are (allegedly) 2 months away from new nvidia cards.

I had exactly the same problem a couple days ago. Nothing wrong in admitting defeat and starting the process over again. Wipe the TIM with alc and a cloth (CPU and cooler should be shinny). Make sure the mounting bracket is position EXACTLY how it is shown in the manual. Also be mindful of the little metal upright next to the hole (where the bracket rests) on the CPU cooler. This has to be aligned with the slot on the bracket. Finally, make sure your tighten in a alternating X pattern (top left to right... 1,4,2,3). Don't be afraid to apply a fair amount of force (don't make the PCB creak... but put some muscle behind it). Also note that the H212Evo will be a "little" loose when it is fully tightened... this is normal.

Okay since I don't have alcohol, should I just box it up and leave it until I get some? Also, the little nub that sits up, is that supposed to click into the bracket?

Edit: Success! I got it applied, it was the little nub not alligned giving me grief I think. I just hope there is adequate thermal paste on there now, most of the cpu was covered when I took it off to realign it. Do you guys recommend that I take it all off completely, clean with alcohol and reapply the thermal paste? Or should I be good with my current situation?

Tak3n

Banned
so I need some advice, possible being told to be sensible.... I am getting the itch to change PC's, my current one is a i5-4670K, 12GB and a Asus 980 4GB...

My issue is I have fallen in love with the new Fractual case

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-202-integra-sfx-450w-psu

I currently have a Fractual R4, lovely case but it is a huge fucking thing

has anyone got one of these noded 202? when I read it would take a 980 I was excited..... however do i REALLY need to do another PC, I would take the 980 from current system and go to a I5 6770K I reckon with DDR4 ram.... total build will be about £700 as the GPU cost wont need to be added...

But when I put my sensible head on....damn I am not so sure

Got my mobo installed into the case fine. Hoping I didn't damage any pins or anything, non seemed visably changed so I think I'm good. Hoping the thermal paste is okay too but I think it should be enough. Most I will be doing is a light OC anyways down the line. Other than that it was a good experience. Just need to wait till Tuesday for my PSU and GPU to arrive and I am set.

kpeezy

Banned
They're both x16 slots, so it doesn't matter which slot the card is in.

Not particularly no, but my OCD is gnawing away at me. Plus you'd want to give the graphics card more room for better airflow.

The second slot is only x8. It fits the x16 connector but when using both slots it runs at x8/x8 because the second slot is only x8. You can actually see that only half of the pins are present on the second "x16" slot.

Definitely put it in the top slot if you're running a single card.

crpav

I tried each stick by itself in each slot and all the same :/

I had the same issue when I built my system last year. I fist had a bent pin on my socket but luckily was able to bend it back without damaging it. First check that.

BUT more than likely it's the cooler and the CPU not having even pressure. For me it was my cooler was not seated evenly and also had it tightened too much. I undid everything and made sure to apply even pressure and not over tighten it.

SRG01

This is a really dumb question, but how do I unlock the PCI-E locking tab? I have a GTX 960, but it covers two slot widths so I can't get at the tab at all... Any tips?

Okay since I don't have alcohol, should I just box it up and leave it until I get some? Also, the little nub that sits up, is that supposed to click into the bracket?

Edit: Success! I got it applied, it was the little nub not alligned giving me grief I think. I just hope there is adequate thermal paste on there now, most of the cpu was covered when I took it off to realign it. Do you guys recommend that I take it all off completely, clean with alcohol and reapply the thermal paste? Or should I be good with my current situation?

You can use the pc until you buy some alcohol, then redo it. Your computer isn't going to overheat and blow up. You just won't get the best temperatures. Just leave the cpu at stock speeds.

Elitist1945

I had the same issue when I built my system last year. I fist had a bent pin on my socket but luckily was able to bend it back without damaging it. First check that.

BUT more than likely it's the cooler and the CPU not having even pressure. For me it was my cooler was not seated evenly and also had it tightened too much. I undid everything and made sure to apply even pressure and not over tighten it.

I loosened the cooler and now I have a code 99. I like the progress, but I'm not sure if it's better or worse.

This is a really dumb question, but how do I unlock the PCI-E locking tab? I have a GTX 960, but it covers two slot widths so I can't get at the tab at all... Any tips?

There is always some space left enough to get there though it may be a bit difficult. No videocard completely blocks you from accessing that tab.

kuYuri

so I need some advice, possible being told to be sensible.... I am getting the itch to change PC's, my current one is a i5-4670K, 12GB and a Asus 980 4GB...

My issue is I have fallen in love with the new Fractual case

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-202-integra-sfx-450w-psu

I currently have a Fractual R4, lovely case but it is a huge fucking thing

has anyone got one of these noded 202? when I read it would take a 980 I was excited..... however do i REALLY need to do another PC, I would take the 980 from current system and go to a I5 6770K I reckon with DDR4 ram.... total build will be about £700 as the GPU cost wont need to be added...

But when I put my sensible head on....damn I am not so sure

Your build is fine as is, just transfer everything from one case to the other. You already have a good CPU and GPU, I don't think you need to upgrade anytime soon. Unless you really want to spend money right now.

crpav

I loosened the cooler and now I have a code 99. I like the progress, but I'm not sure if it's better or worse.

Hmm, are all devices and cables plugged in tightly? 99 is an issue with I/O initialization.

"Qcode 99 is "Super IO Initialization" and IO meaning anything connected to the board by any interface is not initializing.
If you have just built the system, then it is saying a device is not connected properly or there is a lack of power to a device causing the IO error.

First check all cables and components are seated flush and level and aligned in parallel with Pci-e slots and your DIMMs seated correctly."

Can you take a lighted and more clear picture of the entire inside of your case? Do you have power going up to the upper left of the board? I assume so as it wouldn't get this far without.

I have the same board by the way so trying my best.

Elitist1945

Hmm, are all devices and cables plugged in tightly? 99 is an issue with I/O initialization.

"Qcode 99 is "Super IO Initialization" and IO meaning anything connected to the board by any interface is not initializing.
If you have just built the system, then it is saying a device is not connected properly or there is a lack of power to a device causing the IO error.

First check all cables and components are seated flush and level and aligned in parallel with Pci-e slots and your DIMMs seated correctly."

It went to BIOS and is now at 64 so guess everything good? Lol

Edit: it only says there's 8gb of memory even though I have 16. Is that normal at first?

Tak3n

Banned
Your build is fine as is, just transfer everything from one case to the other. You already have a good CPU and GPU, I don't think you need to upgrade anytime soon. Unless you really want to spend money right now.

Good idea, I presume I will need a new mobo as that node 202 will need a itx mobo I presume

crpav

It went to BIOS and is now at 64 so guess everything good? Lol

Edit: it only says there's 8gb of memory even though I have 16. Is that normal at first?

Well no you should see all 16 GB. Mine does. As for the code

"Q-code 64 is usually a pause whilst Bios tries to recognize a device plugged into a USB port. Try unplugging all USB connected devices and then Boot, I bet it boots a lot faster."

Had a thought as I'm looking at the ugly ass of my computer, so positioned to give me access to the ports - Are there any cases that mount the motherboard backwards, so as to have all the ports in front? I haven't used an optical drive in years, there's really no reason for the front of my PC to be a blank slate. I found this during a google search, which is a good alternate path to what I'm thinking of, but not quite ideal.

Had a thought as I'm looking at the ugly ass of my computer, so positioned to give me access to the ports - Are there any cases that mount the motherboard backwards, so as to have all the ports in front? I haven't used an optical drive in years, there's really no reason for the front of my PC to be a blank slate. I found this during a google search, which is a good alternate path to what I'm thinking of, but not quite ideal.

Just take a regular case and turn it around? lol

You'll want one with a power button on top of course..

LilJoka

Looking good, what are the full specs? I think we have a few parts in common..

i7 6700k (testing 4.5Ghz 1.34v atm)
G.Skill trident 2x8gb 3000mhz cl15 1.35v
Asus Z170I Pro Gamer
Venomous X CPU cooler, hyper 212 fan
2x160gb Intel X25 RAID0
3Tb Toshiba HDD
Corsair RM650x
MSI GAMER GTX 970

When the rig idles only the CPU fan is running, pretty neat.

LilJoka

I so want a new case but don't want the pain of moving over my parts.

It's taken me about 4 hours to swap boards between two Node 304 ITX builds, and only one build is done lol.

Although if it was ATX it's normally an hours job or a couple for mATX depending on how tight the case is.

Does anyone else have the Raijintek Pallas cpu cooler? I'm trying to install the goddamn fan but I must be doing something wrong with the clips because I can't get them to slide onto the cooler at all. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

There's a picture of what I'm talking about.

LilJoka

Does anyone else have the Raijintek Pallas cpu cooler? I'm trying to install the goddamn fan but I must be doing something wrong with the clips because I can't get them to slide onto the cooler at all. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

There's a picture of what I'm talking about.

Just be careful with the orientation and usually they need a little stretch/pull to get over the cooler fins then it'll snap into its spot.

Just take a regular case and turn it around? lol

You'll want one with a power button on top of course..
Yeah, that's what I'm doing now, and it looks bad. It's purely a cosmetic complaint, but I would definitely buy a case that corrected the issue.
Maybe I should look at some HTPC cases...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom