• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordAlu

So playing BF4 my GPU temp was around 70 (celsius) if my Cam NZXT app is to be believed. That seems really hot - is that a normal temp?
Do you still have your graphics card in the bottom slot or did you move it to the top as we suggested? If it's still in the bottom it won't be getting much airflow, although 70 degrees really isn't bad.

Canklestank

Neo Member
So playing BF4 my GPU temp was around 70 (celsius) if my Cam NZXT app is to be believed. That seems really hot - is that a normal temp?

Yes, that's normal. I still think you should move it to the top slot and make sure your CPU fan is blowing towards the rear exhaust. Also download memtest86, and follow the directions to put it on a usb and run it.

Elitist1945

Do you still have your graphics card in the bottom slot or did you move it to the top as we suggested? If it's still in the bottom it won't be getting much airflow, although 70 degrees really isn't bad.

Yes, that's normal. I still think you should move it to the top slot and make sure your CPU fan is blowing towards the rear exhaust. Also download memtest86, and follow the directions to put it on a usb and run it.

Ah yes I forgot to do that. I will definitely move it!

ethomaz

Banned
Hello PCGaf.

I will build a new cheaper PC for my parent's house but I need expert help ;)

First it needs to be a PC that can live for over 5 years without issues like the previous PC we had (Athlon 64 X2 4000 + 4GB RAM + Abir nForce 405) and it needs to be really cheaper one with potential upgrade paths.

Your Current Specs: Athlon 64 X2 4000+ / 4GB DDR2 / Abit nForce 405 / 160GB ATA 7200RPM + 120GB SATA 5400RPM
Budget: $500 + Brasil (I will have trouble with the high dolar/real conversion due actual crisis)
Main Use: 1: Office, 1080p video play, light image editing, light games (Football Manager)
Monitor Resolution: Not sure yet... a good IPS with 1080p display... 17" or 19"... I maybe will use the old 17" CRT at begin and buy another monitor in few months.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Monitor for some time and 120GB SATA HDD for data I guess (I plan to use a 120GB SSD for the SO/Programs)
When will you build?: In few weeks but there are no deadline... it can take a month or two.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes,if possible in the future to hold it more years to come.

Let's make sure what I wanted...

Skylake LGA1151 with onboard GPU (I will chance the CPU in the future so I want a cheaper one)
Z170 with USB 3.1 (not required but good for the future)
SSD for OS

These are the first things I want to buy/choose... case, keyboard, mouse, etc is something that any good will fit.

I believe Core i3 6100 is my option for now but I can go to Pentium too while Core i5/i7 is out of question but in a few years I will get one K model.

My biggest issues now is the motherboard... I'm having a hard time to decide between Brand, model and others things.... that is where I want some help.

Cheaper Z170 motherboard ($80-120 or less)?

To be clear my range price for MB is R$500-800 in Brasil... from what I found there are even $160 MB with these ranges here (it is weird but depending of the brand/model the conversion is not directlly... I found the MSI PC Mate more expensive than some MSI Gaming that cost in US $160).

It is better for me to have the models to check price and see what is the cheapest option here.

PS. I know it is not what most GAFers do here... you choose more high-end parts and not the low-ends but I think it will be fun and I live em Brasil where high-end parts can cost over R$20k to build a PC.

Edit - I already bought Windows 10 (R$450) and signed Office 360 (R$215 per year) early this year... I'm using in the old machine but I will migrate than to the new without addiction costs.

Super Rey

Neo Member
Does anyone know the maker of this case:

8201c1cb-5ca0-4014-a324-8c7d681c934e.png

MEATER

I hope someone here can help me out:

I bought a Asus PG278Q and kinda got addicted to having games run in 90+ fps which my current setup can't provide at high+ details in 2560x1440 for newer games. Especially worried about DOOM: Beta runs with only 45fps at 1440p! Have to turn it down to 720p for it to never drop under 60fps!

My current setup:

i5 3570K on ASUS P8Z77-M with 16GB DDR3@+666Mhz
Palit Geforce GTX 980 with 4GB

Questions:
1) Is there a faster CPU that fits on my motherboard and will provide a significant speed boost? Or will I have to upgrade CPU+MoBo+RAM?

2) If I need all three: What do you recommend? What investment am I looking at?

Some other games I (will) play a lot and want to boost:

Heroes of the Storm (runs at ~75fps avg)
Rainbow Six Siege (runs at 80-90 on very high, only 30-40 on ultra)
The Division (about the same as Rainbow Six)
Overwatch
DOOM
Paragon

Thanks for your help! It's highly appreciated!

Preliminary results

Are you using offset or fixed vcore?

Did you disable any of the c states and other power saving features? I'm doing the same dance right now.

edit:
also, I'm having trouble getting my DDR4-3000 CL15 1.35V G.skill kit stable at 3000MHz. It is fine at 2900MHz, but the extra 100 seems to kill stability. I've tried increasing System Agent voltage a bit (and VCCIO if I remember correctly), but still not too much luck. Did you have to mess around with those voltages at all?

Jordan

Hi all,

Having some issues with my current PC and had been toying with an upgrade and a downsize.

Your Current Specs: Intel i5 4670K, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX770 2048MB Edition, Avexir MPower Red Series 8GB, Hyper 212 Cooler, 600T Case.
Budget: £700
Main Use: Will be running a virtual environment to assist me through my VCP exam so would like 32GB RAM. Playing games, currently addicted to Osu and The Division but will probably planning to keep graphics card
Monitor Resolution: I will keep my two IPS 1080p monitors
Looking to reuse any parts?: Will reuse SSD and HHD, graphics cards to save cost mainly and unless recommended.
When will you build?: In a few weeks
Will you be overclocking?: Have never really had the urge to do so.

I priced up the below as a quick put together:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£261.35 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£139.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£123.22 @ More Computers)
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£79.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£82.94)
Total: £687.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-16 22:31 BST+0100

If anyone has any recommended changes to this build that'd be great. I'm pretty set on this particular case and am going for a white/black theme. Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1151.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-16 13:14 EDT-0400

Just chiming in on the S340. It's a great choice and the one I use myself. Not too small not too big, perfect cable management and looks good.

rrs

Did you disable any of the c states and other power saving features? I'm doing the same dance right now.

edit:
also, I'm having trouble getting my DDR4-3000 CL15 1.35V G.skill kit stable at 3000MHz. It is fine at 2900MHz, but the extra 100 seems to kill stability. I've tried increasing System Agent voltage a bit (and VCCIO if I remember correctly), but still not too much luck. Did you have to mess around with those voltages at all?
Could just be a low binned memory manager on the CPU keeping you away from 3 GHz. As for my OC, I've used offset, disabled most C states, kept a few power saving features (speedstep, etc). Although, I got a 2500K and not a skylake CPU so your mileage may vary

Faiz

Tax returns finally done, setting our budgets at $1250 each (building two machines, one for me and my wife, planning identical builds).

Gonna finalize tonight and post. Psyched. My last PC was built for Wrath of the Liche King.

Massa

Hello PCGaf.

I will build a new cheaper PC for my parent's house but I need expert help ;)

First it needs to be a PC that can live for over 5 years without issues like the previous PC we had (Athlon 64 X2 4000 + 4GB RAM + Abir nForce 405) and it needs to be really cheaper one with potential upgrade paths.

Your Current Specs: Athlon 64 X2 4000+ / 4GB DDR2 / Abit nForce 405 / 160GB ATA 7200RPM + 120GB SATA 5400RPM
Budget: $500 + Brasil (I will have trouble with the high dolar/real conversion due actual crisis)
Main Use: 1: Office, 1080p video play, light image editing, light games (Football Manager)
Monitor Resolution: Not sure yet... a good IPS with 1080p display... 17" or 19"... I maybe will use the old 17" CRT at begin and buy another monitor in few months.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Monitor for some time and 120GB SATA HDD for data I guess (I plan to use a 120GB SSD for the SO/Programs)
When will you build?: In few weeks but there are no deadline... it can take a month or two.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes,if possible in the future to hold it more years to come.

Let's make sure what I wanted...

Skylake LGA1151 with onboard GPU (I will chance the CPU in the future so I want a cheaper one)
Z170 with USB 3.1 (not required but good for the future)
SSD for OS

These are the first things I want to buy/choose... case, keyboard, mouse, etc is something that any good will fit.

I believe Core i3 6100 is my option for now but I can go to Pentium too while Core i5/i7 is out of question but in a few years I will get one K model.

My biggest issues now is the motherboard... I'm having a hard time to decide between Brand, model and others things.... that is where I want some help.

Cheaper Z170 motherboard ($80-120 or less)?

To be clear my range price for MB is R$500-800 in Brasil... from what I found there are even $160 MB with these ranges here (it is weird but depending of the brand/model the conversion is not directlly... I found the MSI PC Mate more expensive than some MSI Gaming that cost in US $160).

It is better for me to have the models to check price and see what is the cheapest option here.

PS. I know it is not what most GAFers do here... you choose more high-end parts and not the low-ends but I think it will be fun and I live em Brasil where high-end parts can cost over R$20k to build a PC.

Edit - I already bought Windows 10 (R$450) and signed Office 360 (R$215 per year) early this year... I'm using in the old machine but I will migrate than to the new without addiction costs.

Looking at MB prices in Brazil, I'd personally save R$400 on the board by going H170 or B150 and spend that on getting an i5 instead of the i3.

For more specific advice, I'd recommend looking into the Z170 models available at your price range and then asking here about them.

LilJoka

edit:

Its been a learning experience for me since i havent touched a newer sysem than Ivy Bridge.

We need to adjust VCCSA and VCCIO for the 3000Mhz ram, this will be chip dependant, on AUTO with XMP applied it used 1.15v VCCIO and 1.2v VCCSA. I manually set both to 1.1v.

As for Vcore, i used Manual, disable SVID if you can. That will mean the Vcore in BIOS wont be exceeded by ridiculous amount under AVX workloads etc like Haswell did (thats why we really didnt use Prime95).

After setting manually i wanted to use Adaptive, however whatever i set here results in 99% boot loop. And when it does get into Windows it works as expected, i have about 1.34v under Prime95 load, multi 40-lowest works as if the CPU was stock. And only 41-45 is using a scaled Vcore from the x40 VID to the x45 Vcore set. CPU downclocks without issues this way. Much better than offset which effects the Vcore for stock multipliers.
If only adaptive would boot the PC successfully all the time. Must be a bug.

Lunar FC

Those are very weird issues. After not seating it properly in the case right away it's hard to pinpoint. I would start with the mobo and try to isolate the problem there.

If it's not the mobo then it might be the PSU and/or the SSD.

All are options. You could try and replace them all and see what happens or do them one by one.

Fairly certain it is the mobo at this point. But i am still wondering about my previous question: If I replace it, will I run into more issues with the ssd/os?

Cocaloch

Prices have changed a little since then, so you can swap one or two out.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($299.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $868.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 14:55 EDT-0400
  • This has a Z170 board, so if you decide to upgrade to the i5-6600K or i7-6700K in the future you can do the overclocking you've marked as "Maybe" :)
  • As you have a Z170 board you can have some faster RAM in there, so there's some 3000MHz DDR4 in now.
  • With the stock shortages on the EVO getting worse the price is climbing up again, so the Crucial BX200 is there now (you'd likely not notice the difference).
  • The R9 390 has gone up - the cheapest one is now $300, but the GTX 970 isn't significantly cheaper so it's not worth swapping it out.
  • There's a slightly nicer case, plus in your previous build you wouldn't have been able to use the Bluetooth functionality of your wireless card due to a lack of USB2.0 headers, but as there's no card reader on the case you can use it with this one.
  • Finally there's a better power supply, if slightly lower wattage.

I'm pretty close to biting the bullet on this build, but I was wondering if anyone else had any comments on it?

Cptkrush

Hey guys, got a weird thing happening. I am helping a friend with a build and we are trying to install windows 10 from usb, it's a Sandisk cruzer so it isn't compatible with the media creation tool so I used winUSB to get around that. However when the pc boots, it recognizes the drive, but doesn't recognize the windows install files and just says "Missing Operating System". So I dunno what's going on other than possibly the mobo not being compatible with this exact thumb drive?

It's an ASRock H97M Pro4, and everything else seems to be functioning perfectly. Anyone have any ideas?

Hey guys, got a weird thing happening. I am helping a friend with a build and we are trying to install windows 10 from usb, it's a Sandisk cruzer so it isn't compatible with the media creation tool so I used winUSB to get around that. However when the pc boots, it recognizes the drive, but doesn't recognize the windows install files and just says "Missing Operating System". So I dunno what's going on other than possibly the mobo not being compatible with this exact thumb drive?

It's an ASRock H97M Pro4, and everything else seems to be functioning perfectly. Anyone have any ideas?

Rufus

Cptkrush

Tried Rufus, got a new message that was something like "choose a new boot device or insert bootable media and restart"

aaaaand it's working now. We're all good.

RayStorm

I assume this is still a good monitor? I just want three of the same.

I can't talk about the quality of the monitor, but can offer you the following observation: Those bezels seem huge. I prefer thin bezels, even if I'm not using my three screens for surround gaming, but just as expanded desktops.

Dmented

Banned
Very very happy now. Just ordered some new gear to update just a bit but will grab a new GPU after the next ones come out.

What I got:

In the coming future I'll grab a new GPU, M.2 SSD, and case. A Vive will be right after a new GPU.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Your Current Specs: None. A laptop with a 540M
Budget: $1,500 to $2,000, USA. Monitor and Accessories Included.
Main Use: Light Gaming: 2, Gaming: 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii): 3, Video Editing: 5, Streaming games in HD: Streaming to something else? 4?, 3D/Model work: 1, General Usage:5.
Monitor Resolution: New a new monitor. 1080p. G-Sync is a necessity apparently. 1440p sounds cool but just like 120fps, it sounds unneeded. Excessive even. I'm open to upgrading later, yes.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Adobe Premiere, XCOM 2, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Final Fantasy 15. Is 30fps acceptable? It is. But I don't want it to be. 60? Perfect. 120? Sounds awesome in theory. Dunno if it'd be worth it. Meh. Literally could not care even a tiny little bit about PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Hell, I've gone years without Anti-aliasing. Whatever. High res textures, native res rendering, rock solid framerate. Things I want.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Haha, no.
When will you build?: 2 weeks from now or after E3.
Will you be overclocking?: Does that either cost more power, drastically increase fan noise, reduce the life of my equipment, or need to be carefully performed and sought after? If yes to any, then no.

Unimportant Stuff: So what's happening is that with the advent of the PS4K and PSVR being upwards of $1k of investing, I figured if I just routed that into a PC, I'd come out far, far, ahead. I bought a $1.5k Surface Book and realizing the $2k model is the only one I can play XCOM2 on made me realize how foolish the whole thing is. The whole thing makes me rationalize that not only could I make a $3k desktop, I could get everything I wanted for much less. So I'm returning the laptop and building a PC. Gonna get an iPad for all my laptop needs, unless you're gonna tell me there's some way to nearly laglessly play my Desktop / PS4 Remote Play over the internet otherwise. I want the ability to potentially do VR. Not now, but like a year from now with upgrades.

All The Things I Need: A desktop, monitor, an iPad, mouse, keyboard. I understand the need for a great monitor. But not a $100 dollar keyboard or mouse. 2TB HDD max. Good sized SSD. Oi, I might need a good pair of headphones. Probably not, but might. SILENCE IS GOLDEN
(to a reasonable extent)

Thanks PC-GAF !! And may I say, you're avatar is looking especially on point today.

ethomaz

Banned
Looking at MB prices in Brazil, I'd personally save R$400 on the board by going H170 or B150 and spend that on getting an i5 instead of the i3.

For more specific advice, I'd recommend looking into the Z170 models available at your price range and then asking here about them.
I will do that tomorrow... I wanted Z170 due more options to future overclock but maybe these others chipsets are more suited to our conditions.

BTW I found the MSI Z170-A PRO at R$859 (~$200 but don't look at the conversion price... it is a good price for Z170 I guess).

Just looking for some advice:

Is there any advantage in upgrading from an i5 4690k to an i7 4790k in terms of performance I'd see in AAA games? I've been offered a deal on one I'm not sure if it's worth the increase in power.

My build isn't old by any stretch and I'm planning on buying Pascal or Polaris when they release (currently using a 970) so I don't want to buy into Skylake at this stage. But if I can get a good price on a previous gen i7, should I go for it or just overclock the i5?

And generally, can someone tell me what the real-world advantage of using DDR4 over DDR3?

LordAlu

Your Current Specs: None. A laptop with a 540M
Budget: $1,500 to $2,000, USA. Monitor and Accessories Included.
Main Use: Light Gaming: 2, Gaming: 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii): 3, Video Editing: 5, Streaming games in HD: Streaming to something else? 4?, 3D/Model work: 1, General Usage:5.
Monitor Resolution: New a new monitor. 1080p. G-Sync is a necessity apparently. 1440p sounds cool but just like 120fps, it sounds unneeded. Excessive even. I'm open to upgrading later, yes.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Adobe Premiere, XCOM 2, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Final Fantasy 15. Is 30fps acceptable? It is. But I don't want it to be. 60? Perfect. 120? Sounds awesome in theory. Dunno if it'd be worth it. Meh. Literally could not care even a tiny little bit about PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Hell, I've gone years without Anti-aliasing. Whatever. High res textures, native res rendering, rock solid framerate. Things I want.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Haha, no.
When will you build?: 2 weeks from now or after E3.
Will you be overclocking?: Does that either cost more power, drastically increase fan noise, reduce the life of my equipment, or need to be carefully performed and sought after? If yes to any, then no.

Unimportant Stuff: So what's happening is that with the advent of the PS4K and PSVR being upwards of $1k of investing, I figured if I just routed that into a PC, I'd come out far, far, ahead. I bought a $1.5k Surface Book and realizing the $2k model is the only one I can play XCOM2 on made me realize how foolish the whole thing is. The whole thing makes me rationalize that not only could I make a $3k desktop, I could get everything I wanted for much less. So I'm returning the laptop and building a PC. Gonna get an iPad for all my laptop needs, unless you're gonna tell me there's some way to nearly laglessly play my Desktop / PS4 Remote Play over the internet otherwise. I want the ability to potentially do VR. Not now, but like a year from now with upgrades.

All The Things I Need: A desktop, monitor, an iPad, mouse, keyboard. I understand the need for a great monitor. But not a $100 dollar keyboard or mouse. 2TB HDD max. Good sized SSD. Oi, I might need a good pair of headphones. Probably not, but might. SILENCE IS GOLDEN
(to a reasonable extent)

Thanks PC-GAF !! And may I say, you're avatar is looking especially on point today.
This is what I came up with, obviously others can chime in too:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($619.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($349.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($29.99 @ Micro Center)
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1943.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-17 04:23 EDT-0400

A few things of note:
  • The case, cooler and power supply I chose to keep it as quiet as I could. The cooler will be much quieter than a stock-style one, the case is padded to reduce noise and the power supply is semi-passive, so the fan only spins up under a lot of stress.
  • The monitor is only 1080p (which is fine for 24") but is G-Sync and 144Hz - 144Hz especially makes gaming just so much better.
  • A half-decent keyboard/mouse combo is included as is what is widely considered one of the better headsets for PC. It's obviously not gonna please audiophiles as much as a $300+ headset but it's much better than a lot of stuff that's more expensive.
  • I'd be very tempted to hold out on the graphics card as the latest NVIDIA ones are expected in the next two to three months. If anything it means you may get a 980Ti a little cheaper :p
Just looking for some advice:

Is there any advantage in upgrading from an i5 4690k to an i7 4790k in terms of performance I'd see in AAA games? I've been offered a deal on one I'm not sure if it's worth the increase in power.

My build isn't old by any stretch and I'm planning on buying Pascal or Polaris when they release (currently using a 970) so I don't want to buy into Skylake at this stage. But if I can get a good price on a previous gen i7, should I go for it or just overclock the i5?

And generally, can someone tell me what the real-world advantage of using DDR4 over DDR3?
Depends entirely on how cheap. You won't see any real performance increase in gaming, save for one or two games. It would mainly help with 3D editing, rendering, that kind of stuff.

Of course, if it's like $100 then I'd probably go for it anyway just cause!

Depends entirely on how cheap. You won't see any real performance increase in gaming, save for one or two games. It would mainly help with 3D editing, rendering, that kind of stuff.

Of course, if it's like $100 then I'd probably go for it anyway just cause!

Thanks for the advice. It's cheaper, just not cheap enough to justify it! Think I'll start experimenting with overclocking my i5 instead.

Looking for some new monitor advice, diving into 120hz territory for the first time...

I am currently using an ASUS VS248H. I want a 120hz+ monitor for Overwatch/Quake Live/Doom/similar games (I know Doom will only be 60fps). Trying to decide between these three:

ASUS VG248QE
BenQ XL2411Z
BenQ XL2430T

They seem to be the only 120hz+ monitors in my price range around here. The XL2430T is $100 more than the other two.

I'm only interested in maintaining 120hz/120fps, 144hz doesn't matter to me at all.

Does it really matter which one of those three I choose? Doesn't seem to be much difference, but this is a big purchase for my poor self, I want to make the right choice.

Thanks for the advice. It's cheaper, just not cheap enough to justify it! Think I'll start experimenting with overclocking my i5 instead.

Yea the 4690K is fine even at stock clocks. Jumping to the 4790K could get you maybe better frametimes and higher minimum frames in some rare situations but that's it. Just overclock the i5 IMHO.

To be honest if you play at 60fps I don't feel like the jump to even a 6700K would be that noticeable if not for the high freq DDR4.

Canklestank

Neo Member
This is what I came up with, obviously others can chime in too:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($619.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($349.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($29.99 @ Micro Center)
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1943.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-17 04:23 EDT-0400

A few things of note:
  • The case, cooler and power supply I chose to keep it as quiet as I could. The cooler will be much quieter than a stock-style one, the case is padded to reduce noise and the power supply is semi-passive, so the fan only spins up under a lot of stress.
  • The monitor is only 1080p (which is fine for 24") but is G-Sync and 144Hz - 144Hz especially makes gaming just so much better.
  • A half-decent keyboard/mouse combo is included as is what is widely considered one of the better headsets for PC. It's obviously not gonna please audiophiles as much as a $300+ headset but it's much better than a lot of stuff that's more expensive.
  • I'd be very tempted to hold out on the graphics card as the latest NVIDIA ones are expected in the next two to three months. If anything it means you may get a 980Ti a little cheaper :p

Coolasj19, just as an additional note to this, you'll have to remove the top HDD tray in that case for that GFX card to fit. You'll still have room for 3 drives though.

Elitist1945

So I moved my GPU to the top slot as recommended, and playing The Division it peaked to 84 Celsius, which according to my CAM app isn't very good. So I guess I'll need to install more fans?

EDIT: I installed MSI Afterburner. Is there a recommended fan speed to go to for a 980ti (ref)?

e90Mark

Looking for some new monitor advice, diving into 120hz territory for the first time...

I am currently using an ASUS VS248H. I want a 120hz+ monitor for Overwatch/Quake Live/Doom/similar games (I know Doom will only be 60fps). Trying to decide between these three:

ASUS VG248QE
BenQ XL2411Z
BenQ XL2430T

They seem to be the only 120hz+ monitors in my price range around here. The XL2430T is $100 more than the other two.

I'm only interested in maintaining 120hz/120fps, 144hz doesn't matter to me at all.

Does it really matter which one of those three I choose? Doesn't seem to be much difference, but this is a big purchase for my poor self, I want to make the right choice.

I'd go with one of the BenQ's, since both have built in strobing.
ASUS can do it with a software program, but the colors are worse vs the BenQ.
(I have the xl2411z and a buddy has the Asus)

Asus has displayport while the XL2411z does not, but I think the 2430T does. Might be worth your $100.

ethomaz

Banned
Guys any opinion about these MB listed...

R$859 MSI Z170-A PRO http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813130892

R$759 ASROCK Z170 PRO4S http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157636

R$779 MSI Z170 MORTAR http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemNumber=N82E16813130877

R$850 ASROCK Z170 PRO4 http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemNumber=N82E16813157635

R$874 ASROCK Z170 GAMING K4 http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157634

R$889 ASROCK Z170 Extreme4 http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157633

The others Z170 I found are over R$900 like the example below:

R$935 GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813128845

I can look for more options near R$1000 but I really wanted something below R$850.

If these MB are not good I will try to make a list near R$1000.

So I've been looking into building the cheapest PC possible for a friend who has an extremely small budget ($300 or less).

Here's what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($68.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin ECO2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($38.73 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($23.26 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $236.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-17 14:29 EDT-0400

My friend wants to be able to play *some* games, obviously not the latest ones, so this build needs a video card... but I'm already up to $236.

What's the cheapest video card from Nvidia or AMD that provides a substantial enough performance increase over integrated graphics to be worth the money?

kuYuri

So I've been looking into building the cheapest PC possible for a friend who has an extremely small budget ($300 or less).

Here's what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($68.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin ECO2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($38.73 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($23.26 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $236.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-17 14:29 EDT-0400

My friend wants to be able to play *some* games, obviously not the latest ones, so this build needs a video card... but I'm already up to $236.

What's the cheapest video card from Nvidia or AMD that provides a substantial enough performance increase over integrated graphics to be worth the money?

Nvidia GTX 750 Ti can be found for $120 or less consistently and is a great budget video card.

Nvidia GTX 750 Ti can be found for $120 or less consistently and is a great budget video card.

The 750 Ti is a great budget card, but as I said in my post, his budget is $300 or less. I have chosen the absolute cheapest possible components while making sure the power supply isn't going to explode as soon as it's plugged in and I'm already at $236.

ethomaz

Banned
The 750 Ti is a great budget card, but as I said in my post, his budget is $300 or less. I have chosen the absolute cheapest possible components while making sure the power supply isn't going to explode as soon as it's plugged in and I'm already at $236.
I guess any video card bellow $60 is better to stay with the IGP.

Maybe he can use the IGP right now and wait to buy the GPU.

kuYuri

If you can find something like a GTX 560 Ti on Ebay for less than $65 or whatever, than go for that.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Is there any news in SSD space? Good time to buy or is something new coming out soon?

Because it's my birthday in like a month and I'm seeing the Samsung 850EVO 250GB for 90€ on amazon, the Crucial BX200 240GB for 60€. I see in the OP the BX100 is suggested, is it better? In general, which one would be better.

Edit: Apparently the BX200 sucks, there's the BX100 250GB for like 10€ less and the EVO though.

Ac30

Guys any opinion about these MB listed...

R$859 MSI Z170-A PRO http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813130892

R$759 ASROCK Z170 PRO4S http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157636

R$779 MSI Z170 MORTAR http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemNumber=N82E16813130877

R$850 ASROCK Z170 PRO4 http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemNumber=N82E16813157635

R$874 ASROCK Z170 GAMING K4 http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157634

The others Z170 I found are over R$900 like the example below:

R$935 GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813128845

I can look for more options near R$1000 but I really wanted something below R$850.

If these MB are not good I will try to make a list near R$1000.

I've got the mortar, works great with my 6600k, no complaints and feels above its price range. Just don't try crossfire, lol, the 2nd slot operates at X4 when you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom