• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madn

The GPU is definitely the bigger problem in your system. The CPU, as I said, isn't doing your performance too many favors, but it should be getting the job done. If you can't run Dark Souls 3 at a smooth framerate (between 30 and 60), it's the fault of your dusty old GPU, not your processor.

Thanks. Is there any point in getting an even better GPU than the ones you suggested (like a 970) or would that mean the rest of the PC would be too old to support it?

Thanks. Is there any point in getting an even better GPU than the ones you suggested (like a 970) or would that mean the rest of the PC would be too old to support it?

I think at that point, your CPU would be bottlenecking your GPU. I would get at most an R9 380, as anything beyond that is going to be limited by your CPU.

Personally though, if you're looking to save some cash, the GTX 750 Ti can handle Dark Souls 3 quite well. Just look at this Digital Foundry video if you need proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZsITS8_JAY&ab_channel=DigitalFoundry

Madn

I think at that point, your CPU would be bottlenecking your GPU. I would get at most an R9 380, as anything beyond that is going to be limited by your CPU.

Personally though, if you're looking to save some cash, the GTX 750 Ti can handle Dark Souls 3 quite well. Just look at this Digital Foundry video if you need proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZsITS8_JAY&ab_channel=DigitalFoundry

I see. I mostly play indie games so the only bigger games I played were Dark Souls 1 and 2. Do you think with a GTX 750 Ti I'll be able to go on a couple years? And while you're being so kind and answering everything I'll also ask: what would you suggest as a next upgrade?
Thanks for your time :)

I see. I mostly play indie games so the only bigger games I played were Dark Souls 1 and 2. Do you think with a GTX 750 Ti I'll be able to go on a couple years? And while you're being so kind and answering everything I'll also ask: what would you suggest as a next upgrade?

With the games you play, you'll probably get at least 1-2 years out of the 750 Ti.

The next upgrade I would recommend would probably be a new processor and a motherboard to support it, but if you upgrade to Skylake which is what I would recommend, you would also need to get some new DDR4 RAM, and at that point you are getting into some very expensive territory that might push you to just build a new PC entirely.

Upgrading the video card after the 750 Ti in a few years would likely mean buying a new Pascal or Polaris GPU (those are the upcoming new lines of GPUs from Nvidia and AMD respectively), but those aren't released yet so nobody can speak to which one will be the best bargain in terms of price/performance.

Madn

With the games you play, you'll probably get at least 1-2 years out of the 750 Ti.

The next upgrade I would recommend would probably be a new processor and a motherboard to support it, but if you upgrade to Skylake which is what I would recommend, you would also need to get some new DDR4 RAM, and at that point you are getting into some very expensive territory that might push you to just build a new PC entirely.

Upgrading the video card after the 750 Ti in a few years would likely mean buying a new Pascal or Polaris GPU (those are the upcoming new lines of GPUs from Nvidia and AMD respectively), but those aren't released yet so nobody can speak to which one will be the best bargain in terms of price/performance.

So I could be buying the 750 Ti as a stopgap, and then build something new in a couple of years?

kikonawa

instead of a 750ti, pay a bit more for a 960 or an amd 380 with 4Gb. your ram and cpu are still ok .

Manoko

I'm trying to play Dark Souls 3, but I'm getting huge frame drops (the screen freezes for some time everytime I enter a new area or look at a vista), and I was wondering what part of my (very old) rig I could change to improve performances and get rid of this problem.
Otherwise, on low settings, on 1680x1050, I'm getting good framerate, which is really puzzling.

Here are my specs:

-Motherboard: GA P35 DS4
-CPU: Q6600 @ 2.80Ghz
-GPU: HD 5850
-RAM: 4GB PC6400

I believe, it may be the graphics card, but I'm not sure and that's why I explained my issue, because I don't want to update one part if another will still be troubling anyway.

Thanks a lot. :)

Akoi

Thanks for the input. I'll sleep over it and decide what to do

If you want a faster CPU for your system get a xeon x3470

That will give your system a quad core, and if you are into overclocking at all even better since I got mine to 4ghz.

They go for about $70ish on eBay and are amazing cpus for their price. And you can still use the same motherboard.

That would be a fine CPU to pair with a better video card.

I have many friends that I recommended this to that are still very happy with their PCs.(I own the 6 core version of this tech in my 2nd PC at 4ghz and it's running everything I throw at it)

ethomaz

Banned
After a hell of research I increase my budget for MB a bit and ended with two options:

ASRock Z170 Extreme4
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3

Which do you guys recommend?

rrs

Anywhere I can buy a Windows 10 product key for cheap? I admittedly didn't buy it and just chose not to activate it.
Reddit has some cheap keys, don't know where to look but I'd assume done search would lead you to the right place.

Having come to the conclusion that all my CPU-bottleneck issues in recent history have been a result of my stock cooler slowly dying and causing heat-throttling, I'm looking for a decent aftermarket cooler to replace my stock one with.

Is the Hyper 212 EVO good? Or any other active cooling systems that would be better in the same price range? Not interested in any liquid cooling systems - My case isn't big enough and I'd rather limit the amount of re-arranging of my PC's case I'd have to do.
yeah, it's cheap and works wonders. It is quite tall, so you may need to check if it would fit if you got a small case

Vitanimus

So, a couple of problems. On my Asus z170-a, my 2x 8GB RAM is only appearing as 8GB. I've also gone from an AMD graphics card to a GTX 970, but every time I reset, I have to reinstall nvidia drivers again. Any idea what I've done wrong?

So, a couple of problems. On my Asus z170-a, my 2x 8GB RAM is only appearing as 8GB. I've also gone from an AMD graphics card to a GTX 970, but every time I reset, I have to reinstall nvidia drivers again. Any idea what I've done wrong?

Try going into safe mode and uninstalling all gpu drivers. Try Display Driver Uninstaller.

Reboot, install drivers.

As for the ram, who knows? Try putting them in different slots. Make sure they are in the right ones to start with.

Vitanimus

Try going into safe mode and uninstalling all gpu drivers. Try Display Driver Uninstaller.

Reboot, install drivers.

As for the ram, who knows? Try putting them in different slots. Make sure they are in the right ones to start with.

I'll try that again. I did that initially and selected AMD to get rid of all the stuff, but in my start menu is an option to click AMD Radeon settings, and it doesn't appear in my control panel programs for me to uninstall. Should I select nvidia too and uninstall the drivers and reinstall?

I'm trying to play Dark Souls 3, but I'm getting huge frame drops (the screen freezes for some time everytime I enter a new area or look at a vista), and I was wondering what part of my (very old) rig I could change to improve performances and get rid of this problem.
Otherwise, on low settings, on 1680x1050, I'm getting good framerate, which is really puzzling.

Here are my specs:

-Motherboard: GA P35 DS4
-CPU: Q6600 @ 2.80Ghz
-GPU: HD 5850
-RAM: 4GB PC6400

I believe, it may be the graphics card, but I'm not sure and that's why I explained my issue, because I don't want to update one part if another will still be troubling anyway.

Thanks a lot. :)

Everything in that PC is old enough to have issues with pretty much any modern game. No upgrade would entirely solve your problems so maybe it's time to build a new rig. (that glorious cpu is 8 years old afterall...) Anyway the problem you are describing is related to low amount of RAM I think. So another 4GB should help a bit.

I'll try that again. I did that initially and selected AMD to get rid of all the stuff, but in my start menu is an option to click AMD Radeon settings, and it doesn't appear in my control panel programs for me to uninstall. Should I select nvidia too and uninstall the drivers and reinstall?

Yeah, uninstall everything.

OraleeWey

Hmm. Is it possible to buy it online legitimately and download it? Or pay to activate it?

You can get Windows keys from a couple of retailers online like Amazon if that's what you're asking. They go from about $80-$120.

To activate it go to the settings on your computer and do it from there. Amazon should send you an activation code. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

RayStorm

It's actually not a requirement, but as far as I understand DDR3L is ok for a system looking to produce less heat and not the fastest possible performance. Again, I may well be wrong so feel free to correct me.

(also, I can't seem to find any other Asus mini-ATX board other than that one, which only supports DDR3L apparently so I had really no choice left... of course I might choose a different manufacturer as long as costs are comparable - this one by ASRock maybe would be fine?)

I do not believe that you would have notable differences in heat generation. And the very board you selected also has a version for DDR4 RAM. So I don't see much of a reason not to go for it, also if you don't plan on upgrading the RAM (and probably even if you are) it should prove beneficial to buy 2*4GB instead of 1*8GB. Might not be much, but still, why not go for the best possible performance if everything else is more or less equal?

What I meant was like... maybe with the stuff I'm planning to do with that PC there's actually no need for an i3 6100 and a "lesser" and/or cheaper CPU might be more suited.

Depending on how serious you are about video editing, you might actually want a higher CPU. But no, I think if you are not that hard strapped for money the I3 should be all right.

SOLDIER

I'm not looking to completely change my PC, I just had a question on whether I should upgrade to a new CPU or an SSD hard drive.

My current specs:

Windows 10
Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
Intel Core i5-4670K
8GB RAM
4 SATA hard drives

I was getting a little annoyed by the occasional stutter for games like Dark Souls 3 as well as when I'm browsing a million Firefox tabs, so I was thinking getting an SSD would take care of all that. I would like to know what the cheapest (but still reliable) options were for either that or for CPUs, if I'm better off switching the CPU instead.

kuYuri

After a hell of research I increase my budget for MB a bit and ended with two options:

ASRock Z170 Extreme4
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3

Which do you guys recommend?

Gigabyte board

I'm not looking to completely change my PC, I just had a question on whether I should upgrade to a new CPU or an SSD hard drive.

My current specs:

Windows 10
Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
Intel Core i5-4670K
8GB RAM
4 SATA hard drives

I was getting a little annoyed by the occasional stutter for games like Dark Souls 3 as well as when I'm browsing a million Firefox tabs, so I was thinking getting an SSD would take care of all that. I would like to know what the cheapest (but still reliable) options were for either that or for CPUs, if I'm better off switching the CPU instead.

SSD for sure, it will noticeably speed up your PC. If you are opening a bunch of Firefox tabs, consider going for 16GB of RAM for more efficient multitasking.

Turrican3

And the very board you selected also has a version for DDR4 RAM.
I swear that it wasn't showing when I did my search... must have made some mistake with the filters. :-\

Thanks anyway!

it should prove beneficial to buy 2*4GB instead of 1*8GB. Might not be much, but still, why not go for the best possible performance
Dual channel I guess... totally missed this as well, I've been out of the loop for far too long :-(

But no, I think if you are not that hard strapped for money the I3 should be all right.
Yep, I believe it would be a very good compromise.

Before doing anything, I suggest reading Section 3.11 in your manual. It talks about updating your BIOS and recovering if something goes wrong. It sounds scary, but your motherboard has an "easy" update feature. Here's the steps from the manual:

Use a USB 2.0 drive with a single partition and formatted to FAT32. Not sure if it's necessary for BIOS Flashback, but it's still good practice to Load Optimized Defaults and Clear CMOS before flashing. After it's done, go back into the BIOS and load optimized defaults again. Obviously, this will change all settings back to default. So make note of any changes you've made first.

If you have problems, or you don't want to use the BIOS Flashback feature, follow the steps in the "ASUS EZ Flash 3 Utility" section. That's the traditional method.

Download BIOS from here:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

User Manual

Hope that helps. Remember, read the manual! ;-)
I'd only recommend using bios flashback feature if there are hardware incompatibilities preventing you from posting. Just do it within UEFI with EZ flash util. It's very easy and never had any problems with it.

May I present to you...

The Budgetron 9000.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A6-7400K 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($51.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($27.80 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($23.26 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $189.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-18 12:27 EDT-0400

It's a computer! It can play games, though mostly just older ones! And it's less than $200!
RhjYCc.gif

Manoko

Everything in that PC is old enough to have issues with pretty much any modern game. No upgrade would entirely solve your problems so maybe it's time to build a new rig. (that glorious cpu is 8 years old afterall...) Anyway the problem you are describing is related to low amount of RAM I think. So another 4GB should help a bit.

I see, thanks a lot for the reply.
I'll wait then and save a year or so to build myself a new computer.

Is it worth waiting for Zen/Broadwell-E and Pascal/Polaris architecture in your opinion ? Or will they be too expensive for a mid-high range build for this next year - year and a half ?

I see, thanks a lot for the reply.
I'll wait then and save a year or so to build myself a new computer.

Is it worth waiting for Zen/Broadwell-E and Pascal/Polaris architecture in your opinion ? Or will they be too expensive for a mid-high range build for this next year - year and a half ?

It's indeed worth waiting for the new graphics cards as they will be out soon and new games tend to be optimized for the new generation. As for the rest of the system you could build a Skylake rig now and be perfectly fine as CPU performance jumps are quite low (5-10%) since 2011 at least.

kuYuri

Building a PC next month, what do you think of this build, GAF? Are there any components I'm missing?

First time doing this so a little nervous ._.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CnZ8RB

It's a strong build, but a few thoughts.

- Are you using the 2TB hard drive to install games? I'd recommend a 7200RPM drive for faster speeds if that's the case.
- Are you planning on having multi-GPUs down the line? That PSU is great, but a bit overkill if you're not having multi-GPUs. You can power 3-4 cards with that. I recommend a gold rated 650-850 watt one and save some money.

Otherwise, really good build!

Is there a thread for Steam game recommendations? I bought a customized PC from CyberPower and it came with a $50 gift card. Needless to say, I'm looking for something to play.

PC GAF - I want some advice.

This is approximately my current system -

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card

Memory: 8GB Corsair LP 1600mhz (4GB x 2)

PSU: EVGA Supernova 750watt Modular

Case: Fractal Design R3 Mid Tower

Monitor: Asus 60HZ 1080P 24"

I built everything in July 2012, minus the PSU and 760, which I put into the system in June 2014. I used it mostly for gaming, and it handled what I needed, but I feel the itch; especially since playing Dark Souls 3 on PS4 (love it, but will want to replay with better visuals).

I want to be able to play games at high settings in 1080P with 60FPS. I would like to have 16GB memory and a bigger SSD. I nearly pulled the trigger on a 970 and a Asus 144HZ monitor, but I can't help but feel I should upgrade everything. I've never overclocked the CPU or GPU, really couldn't find any good walkthroughs for the CPU OC, since everything seems to be named differently when I go into BIOS.

What is the best method going about selling my current setup to recoup value - try to sell all together, or part it out? Is there anything I should keep? Should I just wait till the next gen NVidia cards?

I don't really have a budget limit, but I also don't want to go crazy. I think I spent around $1000 when I built mine in 2012, so it would be fine around there.

So the Sapphire R9 390 I wanted to get is out of stock everywhere. Anyone know whether these things are usually back in stock relatively quickly?

If not, can anyone recommend a different version of the 390? I know the MSI one is popular, but I really don't like the red all over that one.

So the Sapphire R9 390 I wanted to get is out of stock everywhere. Anyone know whether these things are usually back in stock relatively quickly?

If not, can anyone recommend a different version of the 390? I know the MSI one is popular, but I really don't like the red all over that one.

I have the XFX 390x and its great, I had a MSI 390 before and that died on me, ran way hotter too. Could just be that particular card though. The XFX looks better (in my opinion) less flashy light stuff, just sleek and black and does the job.

OneUh8

Building a PC next month, what do you think of this build, GAF? Are there any components I'm missing?

That PSU is overkill by a large margin. You can stick with the P2 series if you like, I would just get a 650-750w versions instead.

You can get 16gb of 3200 ram for cheaper. Something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb

Everything else looks find if those are your preferences.

I have the XFX 390x and its great, I had a MSI 390 before and that died on me, ran way hotter too. Could just be that particular card though. The XFX looks better (in my opinion) less flashy light stuff, just sleek and black and does the job.

That's great to hear! I like the look of that one.

Anyone have any last minute recommendations for this build before I start purchasing? Like I said previously, I'm sticking with that case and I'm going for mainly black/white parts (no flashy stuff). Trying to stick right around $1000 total:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($324.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1040.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-19 10:42 EDT-0400

LordAlu

Anyone have any last minute recommendations for this build before I start purchasing? Like I said previously, I'm sticking with that case and I'm going for mainly black/white parts (no flashy stuff). Trying to stick right around $1000 total:

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($324.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Nope, looks fine to me :)

Double post because I'm a scumbag,

Don't buy the BX200 SSD, they've got major probs. Get a BX100 or, better yet, a Samsung 850 EVO. Might be a little more expensive but the extra money is well worth it.

Nope, looks fine to me :)

Double post because I'm a scumbag,

Don't buy the BX200 SSD, they've got major probs. Get a BX100 or, better yet, a Samsung 850 EVO. Might be a little more expensive but the extra money is well worth it.

Cool, thanks. And yeah, I was debating whether to get the crucial or the 850 evo, so if there are reported problems I'll probably just be safe and spend the extra $20.

Arex

The H90 has 140mm fans so it may only fit to the top of the case that you pick. Tho I think the H80i is newer and overall better build.

Also if the case comes with blue fans(?) that may conflict with your mobo and ram's color :p

And yeah, that PSU is way overkill lol

Flaxh

PC GAF - I want some advice.

This is approximately my current system -

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card

Memory: 8GB Corsair LP 1600mhz (4GB x 2)

PSU: EVGA Supernova 750watt Modular

Case: Fractal Design R3 Mid Tower

Monitor: Asus 60HZ 1080P 24"

I built everything in July 2012, minus the PSU and 760, which I put into the system in June 2014. I used it mostly for gaming, and it handled what I needed, but I feel the itch; especially since playing Dark Souls 3 on PS4 (love it, but will want to replay with better visuals).

I want to be able to play games at high settings in 1080P with 60FPS. I would like to have 16GB memory and a bigger SSD. I nearly pulled the trigger on a 970 and a Asus 144HZ monitor, but I can't help but feel I should upgrade everything. I've never overclocked the CPU or GPU, really couldn't find any good walkthroughs for the CPU OC, since everything seems to be named differently when I go into BIOS.

What is the best method going about selling my current setup to recoup value - try to sell all together, or part it out? Is there anything I should keep? Should I just wait till the next gen NVidia cards?

I don't really have a budget limit, but I also don't want to go crazy. I think I spent around $1000 when I built mine in 2012, so it would be fine around there.

Check my rig. I was in the same spot a few months ago and opted to get a 970 for now and upgrade the RAM.

I'd recommend getting 16GB of 2400MHz RAM and a new GPU once the new cards come out, specially if you really want those high framerates (>60fps)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, thanks. And yeah, I was debating whether to get the crucial or the 850 evo, so if there are reported problems I'll probably just be safe and spend the extra $20.

I bought a 1tb Samsung 850 and it's absolutely fantastic, can absolutely recommend the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom