• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I have a problem :(. I got a new motherboard and it won't work with 2 sticks of ram. Both the ram sticks work because I've tried them one at a time...Anyone know a possible fix?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Guys I have a problem :(. I got a new motherboard and it won't work with 2 sticks of ram. Both the ram sticks work because I've tried them one at a time...Anyone know a possible fix?

Some motherboards are more finicky then others. Try one stick in at a time, see if the board boots with a single stick. Also try setting the voltage and speed manually instead of letting the motherboard autoset it.

Worst comes to worst, return the memory and double check the boards compatibility list.

Echoes

All gumstick drives throttle. Most people won't notice it though during normal use.

To be honest I think it's fine even if it throttles, as nothing I do on Photoshop or Lightroom is that intensive (and I thankfully don't do video editing), but I got it just in case. We'll see how it works with the PM961.

A bit OT but I've been comparing coolers with the one I have (Cooler Master Nepton 240M) and I'm shocked at how much better the NH-D14 is. Much lower noise and better performance (sometimes by 5~7°). I got mine when I first started building the machine so I didn't have a lot of experience. Now that I'm OCing and hitting 80° I certainly wish I researched better, hah.

wihio

I finally found time to fully test my first OC on my new i7 6700k. With the Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero mobo and the H110i v2 AIO I got a rock solid 4.6ghz @ 1.24v, idling at ~20c and topping out at 63c after an hour at 100%. I was able to keep it stable at 1.23, but once I turned on adaptive cpu core/cache voltage I needed to go up a bit for total stability. This is with 16gb of 3000mhz ram (Trident Z). Unfortunately I now have the bug and may push the OC further!

Meanwhile my 4ghz OC'd i7 930 gathers dust...

So I just picked up a GPU a GTX 1080 founders edition? Does the "founder's edition" do anything special from the other cards?

Founder's Edition is Nvidia's term for their reference cards. They feature a blower style cooler and not fans like the non reference models from MSI, EVGA, and the like. Depending on your setup it might be noisy and not cool as well. Most people prefer to get the non reference models. Nvidia jacked up the proceeds for their founder's Edition, so I'd say it's not worth it if you can get an EVGA for a lower price.

Some motherboards are more finicky then others. Try one stick in at a time, see if the board boots with a single stick. Also try setting the voltage and speed manually instead of letting the motherboard autoset it.

Worst comes to worst, return the memory and double check the boards compatibility list.

I got it fixed :) thanks.

What is the best 1080 card that I can buy? I want something that is a beast out of the box but still has headroom to overclock. Is it the Asus ROG Strix OC or Gigabyte Xtreme or EVGA FTW?

kuYuri

What is the best 1080 card that I can buy? I want something that is a beast out of the box but still has headroom to overclock. Is it the Asus ROG Strix OC or Gigabyte Xtreme or EVGA FTW?

EVGA: Classified or Hybrid
Asus: Strix OC
Zotac: AMP Extreme
Gigabyte: Xtreme Gaming
MSI: Gaming Z

Take your pick.

kami_sama

30°C ambient temperature is of course a bit high and will result in higher temperatures both on your gpu and cpu. Still going over 80°C on a 1070 isn't good at all.
What kind of 1070 are you using (name)? Is your case airflow good? Are you applying some kind overclock (e.g. a lot of cables positioned randomly everywhere)? Are your GPU fans dust free?

Try setting a custom fan curve using msi afterburner. Nvidia has really conservative fan profiles from the factory that prioritize acoustics over performance.

Goddammit, I've found the culprit, and it was due to myself.
My card sags a bit, so I used a piece of wood to prop the card up. Seems it affected negatively to the card.
Went from 83 degrees to 70 maximum on OW with an ambient temperature of around 20 degrees. And the fan speed went from 86% to 59%.
So, is there no hope for my sag? :(

If you are keeping the CPU temp at 80, the cores be hitting 100c.

People will always refer to core temps, never CPU temp (this sensor lives at the top centre of the die). Core temps can be 15c higher than the CPU temp and will cause throttling before the CPU temp hits the package limit, normally around 75c.
Keep the core temps below 80 on average, a few spikes here and there are nothing to worry about.

Thanks, LFB. I think I will just stick with my current OC, even though my CPU maxed out at 62C, and it appears that I have a lot of room to run. I don't feel the desire to max out my chip's capability as I don't play anything so demanding that that extra power would be a must, but this is certainly good information to keep in mind.

Check out this answer from LilJoka. He knows more.

Dash

Debating if I should pull the trigger for i7 6700k or wait for Kaby Lake. I know the jump is only ~10%. You guys think I should wait? Is it for sure coming out in December, or is January/February possible? It's getting too hard for me to resist the upgrade itch D:

Patrick S.

Banned
Arma 3 is not the most optimized game out there from what I've heard.

Arma 3 is really weird because it has graphics settings that when you put them on higher settings you will actually get an increase in performance, because on lower settings the affected items like shadows and AA are handled mostly by the CPU, but on higher settings the GPU will take over and boost your framerates. To say it's not the most optimized game is very generous :p

Debating if I should pull the trigger for i7 6700k or wait for Kaby Lake. I know the jump is only ~10%. You guys think I should wait? Is it for sure coming out in December, or is January/February possible? It's getting too hard for me to resist the upgrade itch D:

What are the specs of your current system?

Dash

What are the specs of your current system?

I have a 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz, 980 TI, and 8GB of RAM. I'm finding there's moments of stuttering in Deus Ex, which I'm attributing to either having only 8GB of RAM or my oldish CPU. I game at 1440p for what it's worth. Honestly if Kaby Lake were either coming out next month or far off in the future, it'd make it easier decision. ~Four months is just that awkward time frame that makes me so indecisive.

LilJoka

I was told I could connect extra fans to the psu(molex), with the downside being it would run at max speed all the time.

Would you guys recommend that? or no?

No don't do that.
You have 3 fan headers if your CPU cooler has 1 fan.
Get the 3/4 pin splitters if you need more.

Kudo

I have a 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz, 980 TI, and 8GB of RAM. I'm finding there's moments of stuttering in Deus Ex, which I'm attributing to either having only 8GB of RAM or my oldish CPU. I game at 1440p for what it's worth. Honestly if Kaby Lake were either coming out next month or far off in the future, it'd make it easier decision. ~Four months is just that awkward time frame that makes me so indecisive.

You could be gaming on i7-6700K next week, and I assure you the performance difference won't be that big to make you miss not having Kaby Lake.
Whether or not you see the upgrade worth it right now is the question though.

RIP 7970. It was a gift. Launch 7970 that did 1 Ghz.

Tried everything but it just didn't boot. Running with an old 6850 I had lying around.

FPS counter went down to like 45% of what i had before. The struggle is real.

Try baking it. Seriously. You got nothing else to lose at this point anyway!

Re-reading the news articles on kaby lake it seems like the mobile chips will be out in Jan, and then maybe a month or two after the desktop parts will be released. So if you really want to build now just get a skylake. They are plenty fast.

Isn't DX's performance kind bad atm? Or have they patched it up? I mean unless you have 20 tabs open, I don't think the ram would affect it that much.

Dash

Re-reading the news articles on kaby lake it seems like the mobile chips will be out in Jan, and then maybe a month or two after the desktop parts will be released. So if you really want to build now just get a skylake. They are plenty fast.

Isn't DX's performance kind bad atm? Or have they patched it up? I mean unless you have 20 tabs open, I don't think the ram would affect it that much.

Oh so we're really looking at February or March for the 7700k? That definitely makes me want to just get a 6700k now then.

Yeah I really wasn't sure what was causing it. I did hear some people saying the extra ram did improve their performance though.

Founder's Edition is Nvidia's term for their reference cards. They feature a blower style cooler and not fans like the non reference models from MSI, EVGA, and the like. Depending on your setup it might be noisy and not cool as well. Most people prefer to get the non reference models. Nvidia jacked up the proceeds for their founder's Edition, so I'd say it's not worth it if you can get an EVGA for a lower price.
I already bought it, the founders edition. Paid $550.00 for it. So I have no choice now.

valouris

Getting a brand new system from the ground-up, and this is what I have come up with:

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R ~70€
PSU: Corsair CX 600 ~90€
CPU: i5 6600k ~250€
Cooler: Alpenfohn Sella air cooler ~25€
GPU: Gigabyte 1070 GTX Gaming G1 ~480€
MoBo: Gigabyte Z170/HD3P/DDR4 ~120€
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GBx2 2400MHz DDR4 ~80€
HDD1: OCZ Trion 150 240GB ~65€
HDD2: WD Blue 1TB ~50€
DVDRW: LG ~15€

Use: Gaming @ 1080p/60fps, and a lot of casual use, some work. I am trying to futureproof a bit by using an OC-able MoBo and CPU, and getting a 1070, even though I would probably be ok with a 1060 for a couple of years (I sure like my bells and whistles though).

The whole thing is going to be around 1200 euros, because I will have it built for me. If I buy every part separately I can get everything for around 100 euros less. Although I fiddle around my PCs a lot, I have never built one from scratch, and I don't have the time or the nerves to do so at this point in time. And I live quite far away from a big city, so if anything goes wrong it won't be easy to find a solution/replacement, so I prefer getting it delivered to me ready.

This is the reason why I have very limited options on CPU coolers, these are the only ones that this store stocks/promotes:

It is either
a) Alpenfohn Sella air cooler (25 euros)
b) Fazn (Maelstrom?) Hydro 120T (70 euros)
c) Corsair H55 (84 euros)
d) Corsair H60 (93 euros),
for my price range. Which one do you suggest? I am not looking to overclock the CPU right off the bat, as it will probably fill my needs for a couple of years. I may do so when I require. That is why I was thinking of getting the cheap air cooler for now, and replace it with a really good one when I need it.

So, questions:

1. What do you think on the cooler issue? Is it really stupid buying an OC MoBo and CPU, but mounting a basic air cooler - at least for now?
2. Are there any better options for 1070s around? The Gigabyte G1 is one of the cheapest I can find, and is one of the best performing as well, from what I researched a bit.
3. Would it be a better idea/more futureproof if I opted for a 6700k/1060 combo, so all I would have to upgrade would be the GPU in 2-3 years?
4. Any other suggestions/improvements/removals in general?

Is it just me or have the cheaper G-Sync monitors disappeared? Just want something cheaper and in 1080p but I can only seem to find expensive stuff, and I don't think my rig could really handle 1440p.

OmegaDL50

Possibly dumb question: I have a really recent install of Win 10 on my SSD, do I need to do a fresh install with a new mobo/CPU?

I'll let you know when I find out today. I just ordered a set of new parts myself and the HDD I have has Windows 10 on it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MXmmD8 = This is my new PC

And my old one - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/T8TH99

Basically almost the same, the major differences being just the motherboard, cpu, ram, and gpu.

I didn't buy a SSD yet but will in time, I plan to just do a straight motherboard swap with my new processor and ram and load Windows and do the built-in Windows 10 refresh option.

That is if my Windows 10 licenses checks out and doesn't throw me any issues due to the hardware change.

accx

Possibly dumb question: I have a really recent install of Win 10 on my SSD, do I need to do a fresh install with a new mobo/CPU?

Maybe not? Since you're going from intel to intel and the architectures aren't extremely different you might get away with not formatting and reinstalling.
However, if any issues would arise this would be the first thing to check.

Honestly, for peace of mind and not having to troubleshoot and possibly spend hours on something i'd just reinstall. With a fast usb 3 stick and ssd it takes like 10-20 minutes.
Use Ninite for batch install your commonly used programs and you should be up and running in an hour or so.

Jex

Hi folks,

Hope you can assist with my build. If you could advise the best I could get for my budget that would be appreciated.

Budget: £800
Requirements: Gaming pc. At least 16 GB ram.
Note: I already have a screen / all accessories.

Thanks!

Anustart

I'm going to be building a pc for my son for christmas, so I decided to hand me down my 4gb 760 to that build and splurge on a 1070. I prefer evga cards. Anyone have input on a 1070 from evga? I'd rather spend closer to 400 than 450....

Hi folks,

Hope you can assist with my build. If you could advise the best I could get for my budget that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£213.34 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£85.99 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£67.98 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ARMOR OC Video Card (£227.89 @ More Computers)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£47.59 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £785.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-13 15:08 BST+0100

doesn't include the price of windows license.

vector824

Hi folks,

Thanks!

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£67.98 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ARMOR OC Video Card (£227.89 @ More Computers)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£47.59 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £785.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-13 15:08 BST+0100

doesn't include the price of windows license.

Tweeked it a bit. Faster RAM, better PSU, same case just the all black variant (a tad cheaper), and a 140mm fan for the front. You really need two so I would go a bit over your budget for both. Also upgrade to an SSD once you have the cash, makes a world of difference for boot times and program launches coming from a spinny drive.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£68.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£63.59 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£56.54 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 83.6 CFM 140mm Fan (£7.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £797.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-13 15:15 BST+0100

Zojirushi

Thanks for the responses! Saves me about $500 on parts!

I dunno man I got the same CPU and OC paired with a 980ti and I can definitely feel the CPU bottlenecking me especially in Open World stuff. It not so much average framerates but framepacing.

Don't upgrade you CPU yet (instead just see how it goes first) but yeah, expect some problems in terms of judderyness here and there with certain games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom