• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK, fine tuned my build plan a bit more. Thanks again for everyone's advice. It's coming into my budget range nicely, but I am worried I'm missing something.

Is this everything I need? Do I need to get any additional fans or anything? What about cables/harnesses/wires?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.22 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($449.94 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1403.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-13 10:47 EDT-0400

e90Mark

Is it just me or have the cheaper G-Sync monitors disappeared? Just want something cheaper and in 1080p but I can only seem to find expensive stuff, and I don't think my rig could really handle 1440p.

There's a handful of 1080p G-Sync monitors. XB241H, for example.

thenexus6

Is it easy to switch from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa?

My guess would be
Uninstall GPU drivers
Turn off PC and remove card
Fit new card and install its drivers

Is that it?

vector824

OK, fine tuned my build plan a bit more. Thanks again for everyone's advice. It's coming into my budget range nicely, but I am worried I'm missing something.

Is this everything I need? Do I need to get any additional fans or anything? What about cables/harnesses/wires?

Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.22 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.49 @ SuperBiiz)

You need a CPU cooler, and I saved you a few bucks on the RAM, no need for 3200mhz because there isn't an advantage to that high a clock speed. Added one more fan for the top of your case.

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.46 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.9 CFM 140mm Fan ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1451.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-13 11:17 EDT-0400

Akronis

Why not 6700K? No overclocking plans?

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
My 980ti arrived today and I'm super happy with it. It doesn't look like it's an OC version, but I should still be able to OC it myself, right? Even if not, I played a bit of Witcher 3 earlier and the difference between this and my old card (MSI HD7950 TF Boost Edition) is like night and day. Previously I struggled to hit 60fps at 1080p with a mix of medium and high settings, but now I'm getting a locked 60fps at 1440p with everything on ultra except hairworks.

petran79

Banned
Recently I've been hearing some occasional clicking sound from the PSU. It could have happened earlier and I may have it confused with a HDD click, while the case was closed. But now I have an open case and I can discern that the sound comes from the PSU. On my previous build PSU was mounted on the upper part of the case, now it lies on the ground.

It is an old Silverstone SST-ST65EF, so it has all the necessary anti-surge protections and quality. I bought it in 2010. Should I worry? PSU fan works fine so far.

Zojirushi

My 980ti arrived today and I'm super happy with it. It doesn't look like it's an OC version, but I should still be able to OC it myself, right? Even if not, I played a bit of Witcher 3 earlier and the difference between this and my old card (MSI HD7950 TF Boost Edition) is like night and day. Previously I struggled to hit 60fps at 1080p with a mix of medium and high settings, but now I'm getting a locked 60fps at 1440p with everything on ultra except hairworks.

What's the name of the card?

aka_bueno

Anyone have an SG13 case? I built a nice little SFF PC with a i7 6700, 16GB LPX RAM, SFX PSU, M.2 intel SSD and GTX 1060 Mini 6GB.

LOVE how it all came together in this tiny case. But the stock intel cooler can get pretty loud under load. It's dead silent until I play an intensive game.

Everything else is quiet, including the GPU. The CPU temps are good, idle between 20-30's. Under load when it gets loud the temps for 2-3 cores never go higher than high50-low60 but one core or two will reach about high 60 or low 70s.

I need a quiet low profile heatsink that can match or beat the intel heatsink at keeping it cool.

Hi folks,

Hope you can assist with my build. If you could advise the best I could get for my budget that would be appreciated.

Budget: £800
Requirements: Gaming pc. At least 16 GB ram.
Note: I already have a screen / all accessories.

Thanks!
If you're not interested in overclocking then maybe something like this?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/pq2YNN

Managed to get an SSD within your budget but if you're not that bothered you could spend the extra cash on a GTX 1060.

There's a handful of 1080p G-Sync monitors. XB241H, for example.
I know they're out there they just seem rarer than hen's teeth all of a sudden, especially the cheaper ones.

jon bones

You need a CPU cooler, and I saved you a few bucks on the RAM, no need for 3200mhz because there isn't an advantage to that high a clock speed. Added one more fan for the top of your case.

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.46 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)

Thank you! Some questions:

1) Thanks! I like that the reviews on that cooler say it's quiet & the price is right but installation sounds a bit tough. Any thoughts on handling it for a first timer?

2) The current deal on the RAM you added ends shortly and I may not purchase it before then. After the rebate ends, it actually ends up being a few dollars more expensive than the 3200 mhz RAM I had initially. Are there any downsides to having the 3200mhz RAM if it ends up being a little cheaper?

3) Any reason you subbed out the case fan for a different size?

Why not 6700K? No overclocking plans?

Nope, I want my machine to run as cool & quiet as possible. I'm also trying to make as solid a stock machine as possible within my budget.

vector824

Thank you! Some questions:

1) Thanks! I like that the reviews on that cooler say it's quiet & the price is right but installation sounds a bit tough. Any thoughts on handling it for a first timer?

2) The current deal on the RAM you added ends shortly and I may not purchase it before then. After the rebate ends, it actually ends up being a few dollars more expensive than the 3200 mhz RAM I had initially. Are there any downsides to having the 3200mhz RAM if it ends up being a little cheaper?

3) Any reason you subbed out the case fan for a different size?

Nope, I want my machine to run as cool & quiet as possible. I'm also trying to make as solid a stock machine as possible within my budget.

1) It can be tough, read the manual and watch some youtube vids on how to do it. The trick with thermal paste is NOT applying too much.

2) No problem, there's no downside to 3200mhz RAM, but there's no upside either. If its what you want, go for it.

3) More airflow and quieter for a 140mm fan than a 120mm. Your case supports two fans up top, helps keep dust out of the case when blowing out.

RootCause

Is it upside down?
aA290Ych.jpg
I think it's in the proper orientation?

You can overclock no problem. I know Asus has their own gpu tuning app so you should probably start there unless you already are used to afterburner or precision. There should be preset Oc profiles if you use the Asus program. However the real fun starts when you learn how to flash a custom bios. My 980ti hybrid hits a constant core speed of 1532 no throttling, and is just as fast as a overclocked 1070.

I'm getting a little depressed at how slowly CPUs are advancing, and figure I might be better off buying a watercooler for my i72600k and overclocking, instead of buying a new PC this year.

Current build is: i7 2600k stock speeds, GTX 970, 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM.

I bought that in 2011 (with a GTX 560 Ti though) and thought I'd be upgrading to a new PC this year. Looking at the roadmap for CPUs... I think I might be best off waiting until the latter half of 2018 before putting a whole new PC together. I'll also be guaranteed a single GPU 4k solution then, and a 2+TB SSD.

I'm very new to PC parts though. I know what they do, and chose the parts for my PC myself, but had it built for me by the company I bought from. If I want to buy a new watercooler (and presumably redo thermal paste since it's been 5 years?) is there anything I should know? Will anything fit? How likely am I to do something wrong and spray water everywhere? =P

LilJoka

Okay, but could you tell me why you don't recommend it?
I'm new to this, so I'd like to learn as much as possible. :)

As it was said, molex means full speed fans, plus why run a molex cable chain that wont power anything but a fan, its messy for cable management. Avoid molex at all cost. Its also a shoddy connector - pins move around..

jon bones

1) It can be tough, read the manual and watch some youtube vids on how to do it. The trick with thermal paste is NOT applying too much.

2) No problem, there's no downside to 3200mhz RAM, but there's no upside either. If its what you want, go for it.

3) More airflow and quieter for a 140mm fan than a 120mm. Your case supports two fans up top, helps keep dust out of the case when blowing out.

Thank you very much again for your help.

My last question (for now...) - is there any particular order I should be picking these pieces up? I'll probably spend $400 a month on pieces for the rest of the year and I should have everything I need, just wondering what to get first.

LilJoka

Hi folks,

Hope you can assist with my build. If you could advise the best I could get for my budget that would be appreciated.

Budget: £800
Requirements: Gaming pc. At least 16 GB ram.
Note: I already have a screen / all accessories.

Thanks!

An mATX option:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£213.34 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£94.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£79.95 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£36.94 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.97 @ BT Shop)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ARMOR OC Video Card (£227.89 @ More Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£67.82 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Novatech)
Total: £841.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-13 19:27 BST+0100

If you don't want to have overclocking as a feature, we should easily get under £800 with an SSD included.

vector824

Thank you very much again for your help.

My last question (for now...) - is there any particular order I should be picking these pieces up? I'll probably spend $400 a month on pieces for the rest of the year and I should have everything I need, just wondering what to get first.

Honestly the best thing to do would be to save your money until you're ready to buy it all at once. Technology changes weekly and there could be price drops on what you'd order now.

Karl2177

Related to molex, what about molex to SATA connections? I have an old power supply and I want to add a couple hard drives that are SATA. That should be fine, right?

RootCause

Okay so I'm in the uefi bios menu
When choosing boot option
It's giving me three options;
ssd
Uefi asus drw-24b1st
P6 asus drw-24b1st

I'm installing from a disc, so o should select the last option, correct?

Also, what else should I do while in the bios menu?

Ok guys I have a dilemma, I will be building my first PC and I'm having trouble picking a monitor. My system will be running a gtx 1070 and I wanted to get a 27inch 1440p 144hz monitor but all the ones I saw were either gsync or free sync and the gsync monitors are way too expensice. So I saw that the Asus MG278Q is only $382 on Amazon which is the perfect price for me. I wanted to know is it OK to get a free sync monitor for an Nvidia card ( I know it doesn't support free sync) or are there any other options that fit my needs?

RootCause

Installed Windows.
I downloaded all the drivers. So inside the drivers there's like two different asus setup. Which one am I supposed to click. -_-"

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
You can overclock no problem. I know Asus has their own gpu tuning app so you should probably start there unless you already are used to afterburner or precision. There should be preset Oc profiles if you use the Asus program. However the real fun starts when you learn how to flash a custom bios. My 980ti hybrid hits a constant core speed of 1532 no throttling, and is just as fast as a overclocked 1070.

I've just installed Asus GPU Tweak II, but the built-in OC profile doesn't seem to add much. The default clock goes from 1000MHz to 1026MHz, the boost clock from 1076MHz to 1102MHz and the memory stays at 1753MHz.

Edit - I've just ran Heaven and the monitor in GPU Tweak says it went up to 1253MHz during the benchmark, so I'm somewhat confused.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Can anyone recommend an IPS monitor in the 24 inch $300ish range?

I won't be doing much gaming on it as I have the tower connected to my TV right now and I much prefer that for the kind of games I play. I just want a nice display for skype, web browsing, and the odd game of Civ VI or AOE etc.

Vipu

Banned
Ok guys I have a dilemma, I will be building my first PC and I'm having trouble picking a monitor. My system will be running a gtx 1070 and I wanted to get a 27inch 1440p 144hz monitor but all the ones I saw were either gsync or free sync and the gsync monitors are way too expensice. So I saw that the Asus MG278Q is only $382 on Amazon which is the perfect price for me. I wanted to know is it OK to get a free sync monitor for an Nvidia card ( I know it doesn't support free sync) or are there any other options that fit my needs?

How much is MG279Q? It should be about same price but ips, so much better.

RootCause

Installed just about everything. But the audio one keeps repeating the same process of uninstalling, rebooting, and asking me to uninstall again. :/

Another thing. I just tried to update the video card(amd catalyst), and it's telling me to use a Windows 8.1 64 bit driver.
I'm on win 10.

I'm lost.

RootCause

Installed just about everything. But the audio one keeps repeating the same process of uninstalling, rebooting, and asking me to uninstall again. :/

Another thing. I just tried to update the video card via amd catalyst, and it's telling me to use a Windows 8.1 64 bit driver. I'm on win 10.

I'm lost.

Also, I don't have any audio from my tv. Connecting via HDMI.

Those are my three problems.

To the folks watching 1080p movies on their 1440p monitors: are you happy with the IQ? How does it scale? Are you using madVR for better scaling?

I'm into getting one of those 1440p IPS 144Hz, but I watch a lot of movies so I think it'd be a waste if it didn't look as good.

Why aren't here any 1080p IPS 144Hz :(

--------

Seriously, the monitor market is in a terrible state right now, in my opinion. The variety is simply awful. We finally reached a point where all these advanced technologies reached the consumer market at a reasonable price - but we're stuck with only one kind of monitor. I don't get why they totally skipped one essential step. 1440p is great, but it isn't that big of a deal - and more importantly, my GTX1080 can't keep up as it is in 1080p. 4K (and hopefully OLED) is the upgrade we're waiting for, but 4K 144Hz is far, far from reality.

We're simply stuck in between two generations, and it's quite underwhelming.

Garou

Another thing. I just tried to update the video card(amd catalyst), and it's telling me to use a Windows 8.1 64 bit driver.
I'm on win 10.

I'm lost.

Regarding audio: In that case Windows likely has already a newer driver than the one you try to install.
You start setup, it uninstalls, reboots, Windows reinstalls its own newer driver on boot, the setup to install starts and notices an installed driver and offers to uninstall. Just skip it.

And regarding he TV-audio: Click the speker-symbol in the task bar, click on the speaker-name and select your TV.

OmegaDL50

Damn man, my computers max temp on a full load is 47 C. I literally work in hotter temperatures than that.

What CPU are you using.

For reference my i7 6700k idles at 30c and goes up to 50c during a stress test.

The i7-6700k doesn't even begin to throttle until 100°C. Anything below 70°C under full load on all cores is acceptable as being pretty safe and anything under 80°C, while not desirable, is probably not going to cause damage as it would never see those temps under normal usage.

Temps of 30 to 50c is fairly normal for computer usage depending on load circumstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom