• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

another stupid question: I am going to build my first PC this weekend. I still don't have any mointor because I am waiting on a good dead for a 144hz 1440p screen. Can I use any TV as a monitor to test and do basic operations? does it go to the BIOS if I connect the desktop to the TV?

another stupid question: I am going to build my first PC this weekend. I still don't have any mointor because I am waiting on a good dead for a 144hz 1440p screen. Can I use any TV as a monitor to test and do basic operations? does it go to the BIOS if I connect the desktop to the TV?

Yes, you can use any display - including your TV - as a monitor, so long as it has a port compatible with your GPU (which it should be, with an HDMI port). It'll boot to BIOS regardless of what screen it's using, just make sure to hit the key to actually go it.

Yes, you can use any display - including your TV - as a monitor, so long as it has a port compatible with your GPU (which it should be, with an HDMI port). It'll boot to BIOS regardless of what screen it's using, just make sure to hit the key to actually go it.

it will be a fresh install, so it will have to go to bios. the reason why I ask is because every time I connect my laptop to the TV, no images shows up until the windows screen comes on. not sure if this is something laptop related or not.

it will be a fresh install, so it will have to go to bios. the reason why I ask is because every time I connect my laptop to the TV, no images shows up until the windows screen comes on. not sure if this is something laptop related or not.

I think that's because you're essentially running a dual screen setup with the laptop, and I don't think BIOS can run on two monitors.

Worth upgrading a 1080GTX to a Ti for 1080p gaming? (144hz)

I'd say no. A 1080 should be able to handle 1080p/144Hz, I think. Are you having issues with it right now on a 1080?

Kysen

I'd say no. A 1080 should be able to handle 1080p/144Hz, I think. Are you having issues with it right now on a 1080?
No but I have some cash to burn. The card has some light coil whine and puts out a ton of heat, minor annoyances.

I think that's because you're essentially running a dual screen setup with the laptop, and I don't think BIOS can run on two monitors.

Yep. It's having to actively shift from knowing it's displaying on the laptop, to an external monitor, even if you're not using the laptop in a dual setup. I know this because I did the same thing for years, before I finally got my own desktop system.

Kassu

Banned
Is this okay? First time trying to figure the parts out myself and I have no idea what I'm doing. Main goal is at least 1080p/60fps with max settings in most games

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($323.65 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - Z270 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($106.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($234.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $986.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-01 08:21 EDT-0400

Is this okay? First time trying to figure the parts out myself and I have no idea what I'm doing. Main goal is at least 1080p/60fps with max settings in most games

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.98 @ Newegg)

Normally I'd recommend a 1060 instead if 60 fps were the goal, but given the current market... Yeah, have fun with a 1070 if you can get one at good cost.

Yep. It's having to actively shift from knowing it's displaying on the laptop, to an external monitor, even if you're not using the laptop in a dual setup. I know this because I did the same thing for years, before I finally got my own desktop system.
awesoe, thanks.

I will use my shitty old ps3 3d display as monitor for now, until I find a good deal on a gaming monitor.

kuYuri

Looks good to me. 1070 prices are ridiculous right now, so depending on that and when you purchase these parts, you might be able to get a better deal on a 1080.

Considering the bad TIM on the latest Intel chips, you might want to swap out the H7 for a bigger air cooler or an AIO water cooler.

Kassu

Banned
Normally I'd recommend a 1060 instead if 60 fps were the goal, but given the current market... Yeah, have fun with a 1070 if you can get one at good cost.
Looks good to me. 1070 prices are ridiculous right now, so depending on that and when you purchase these parts, you might be able to get a better deal on a 1080.
Thanks! I'm probably fine with 1070 though.

Considering the bad TIM on the latest Intel chips, you might want to swap out the H7 for a bigger air cooler or an AIO water cooler.
Is this something I should be concerned about? Any suggestions for better cooler?

zeemumu

Right, so...been putting this off for a while.

I bought this a long ass time ago to play the games that were in my Steam library at the time (none of them that physically demanding and I only had like 20) and to function as my general use laptop and it's obviously time for a change.

I don't need to have the best possible performance. I just need something that'll run current gen games (around Battlefield 1 quality) without feeling like it's just barely getting by. Budget would be around $800. Would either of the builds around that price in the OP work fine? Are there any recommended premades that would work as well?

bomblord1

Banned

I bought this a long ass time ago to play the games that were in my Steam library at the time (none of them that physically demanding and I only had like 20) and to function as my general use laptop and it's obviously time for a change.

I don't need to have the best possible performance. I just need something that'll run current gen games (around Battlefield 1 quality) without feeling like it's just barely getting by. Budget would be around $800. Would either of the builds around that price in the OP work fine? Are there any recommended premades that would work as well?

Just to be sure you do want a desktop right not a replacement for the laptop right?

Guffers

Nothing insane about it. It's your best choice for wanting to play at 4K.

Awesome. Thank you. I went ahead and bit the bullet. The 1080ti is a bloody enormous upgrade on the 780 I'd happily used since 2013. I'm sure there's a bottleneck with my 4670k but I'm getting quite predictable performance at 4K with all games I've tried out so far. According to most widely published benchmarks that I've checked out.

It looks like we are still another generation away from full ultra settings, 60fps @ 4k for every game but with some sensible tweaks I'm comfortably hitting 60fps in most titles. The only offenders are notoriously poorly optimised ports such as Arkham Knight and Mafia 3. Frame rates are in the mid 40s so I'm considering locking at 30fps.

My only regret is not researching my monitor purchase thoroughly enough. I went with the 40 inch Philips BDM4037U which ran me $1000 Australian. Frankly, it doesn't handle dark scenes well at all. There's a ton of ghosting and blurring and I'll likely sell it off and pick something different within 12 months. Still, native 4K at 60fps looked like vodoo to me after 4 years of gaming at 1080p. Certain scenes in certain games gave me a really strange diorama effect, where I felt like I was peering into another hyper detailed world. Way, way beyond anything I'd ever experienced on consoles or 1080p PC gaming before. I'm a PC gamer for life now. Count me in as addicted.

another stupid question. my first build will be a ryzen 5 1600, with gtx 1080.

I am looking for a1440 p monitor, Gsync and 144hz, which seems to be at leas $400-500 on sale, and sometimes as high as $700.

you can get cheaper monitor if you go down to 75hz.

Questions:
1. a jump from 75hz to 144hz is noticeable?
2. If I have a 144hx monitor, and I want to play on lower FPS (let's say 80-100fps if I want to push for ultra settings and maximum resolution), is there a problem with that? Will the image look worse if I play lower FPS on a 144hz monitor?

thanks

Something like this?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card ($261.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $805.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-01 10:22 EDT-0400

Skittles

Need help with monitor suggestions. On a GTX 670 and looking for 2, 1080P monitors. One will be used for gaming(so g-sync needed) and the other for media viewing(so VA or IPS). Thinking of these 3 right now, if there's anything better let me know

For Gaming:
ASUS ROG SWIFT PG248Q 24" Full HD 1ms 180Hz DP HDMI Eye Care G-SYNC eSports Gaming Monitor with DP and HDMI ports

For Media Viewing:
BenQ GC2870H 28" FHD 1080p LED Eye-Care Monitor 1920x1080 Display VA Low Blue Light Technology Flicker-free BLACK
ASUS PB238Q 23" Full HD 1920x1080 IPS DisplayPort HDMI DVI VGA USB Monitor
Anyone?

Is this something I should be concerned about? Any suggestions for better cooler?
Yup:
https://www.techspot.com/news/69204-intel-responds-i7-7700k-high-temperate-issue-tells.html
If you own one of Intel’s new i7-7700 and 7700K CPUs, you may be one of the few to notice the chips have been randomly spiking in temperature. There have been reports of them hitting 90C (194°F), which is uncomfortably close to the 100C (212°F) threshold. TechSpot's features editor Steve Walton touched on this in a video for Hardware Unboxed back in February.

Delidding can help, but a bigger cooler like the Cryorig R1 Universal/Ultimate could probably keep the temps in check.

Canklestank

Neo Member
Purolator sent my 1700 back because they "had trouble delivering to the designated address" and Newegg CS' response was "well we refunded you so you can re-order it if you want" despite the only reason I bought it was due to it being on sale at the time.

Yeah, i'm waiting on Threadripper now and not tapping Newegg for that.

This happened to me once, and I just explained the situation to their CS Chat. I'm pretty sure they gave me store credit for the difference. Not a perfect solution, and the store credit had an expiration date, but it made me feel better. You could try something similar. *shrug*

zeemumu

Just to be sure you do want a desktop right not a replacement for the laptop right?

Right. I have a standard cheap ass laptop for general use now so there's really no need for a 2nd laptop. Plus maintenance-wise, gaming laptops are a bit of a hassle.

Something like this?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card ($261.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $805.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-01 10:22 EDT-0400

Yeah this looks pretty good. How long would you say it'd last for (in terms of meeting the standards for PC gaming, not before it dies)

Sami+

So from what I can tell, the Samsung Ultrawide that Vega comes with a $200 voucher for has garbage Freesync support. 😬 At least according to some of the comments I've been reading on it. Unfortunately Freesync would've been my main reason for getting Vega over a 1080 Ti, so that's looking like a bust.

Yeah this looks pretty good. How long would you say it'd last for (in terms of meeting the standards for PC gaming, not before it dies)
Depends on what games you play. For AAA games, not as long as you'd think, since most studios seems to be shifting to engines that like having more cores and threads and really tax 4 core CPUs. Frostbite 3 is one particularly notorious example.

Right. I have a standard cheap ass laptop for general use now so there's really no need for a 2nd laptop. Plus maintenance-wise, gaming laptops are a bit of a hassle.

Should last you a couple years at least, though some games will see you drop below 60 FPS at ultra settings - some compromises to high or medium should sort things out though. Otherwise you can ease the CPU bottleneck a bit by either overclocking the CPU, or replacing it with something else on the AM4 socket (which AMD will ideally support for years).

Guys, how much should I be looking for when looking to sell a 3GB 7950 these days? Nothing wrong with the card just surplus to requirements after an upgrade. Any ideas?

Depends on what you consider a good standard.

I only went with the quad-core to meet your budget.

Personally, I'd save a bit more and go with the 6c/12t Ryzen.

zeemumu

Depends on what games you play. For AAA games, not as long as you'd think, since most studios seems to be shifting to engines that like having more cores and threads and really tax 4 core CPUs. Frostbite 3 is one particularly notorious example.

I'll use it for AAA when they're on sale on Steam but for the most part I tend to buy those on console. I'll be playing a lot of multiplayer-heavy stuff on here like Friday the 13th, Dead by Daylight, and Overwatch so I can avoid a console online subscription fee.
Should last you a couple years at least, though some games will see you drop below 60 FPS at ultra settings - some compromises to high or medium should sort things out though. Otherwise you can ease the CPU bottleneck a bit by either overclocking the CPU, or replacing it with something else on the AM4 socket (which AMD will ideally support for years).

Shouldn't be a problem.

Depends on what you consider a good standard.

I only went with the quad-core to meet your budget.

Personally, I'd save a bit more and go with the 6c/12t Ryzen.

My standard is that I generally only expect a good build to last at most a few years before things start needing replacements

bomblord1

Banned

Seems like you already have a pretty solid suggestion but I'll throw in my 2 cents as well.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($156.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($115.88 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($314.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $802.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-01 12:29 EDT-0400

Slightly better CPU slightly worse GPU and only a single HDD.

Decado

Could use some advice. I am moving into a new condo in a few months. Going to make one bedroom an entertainment room. Planning to pick up a 65"+ 4k tv and all the lovely bits and pieces. My gaming PC is from late 2012 with the only upgrade being a GTX 1070.

I'm planning on giving my current PC to my fiancee and buying a new one. I know there is always something better around the corner, but should I keep my 1070 for a bit? I have my old 670 that will meet my fiancees needs if there is something significantly better for 4k coming soon.

Also, will all new components give me a good performance bump with my current card (should that be the best route)?

Current specs:
Bitfenix Prodigy mITX Mini-ITX Tower Case
Gigabyte GTX 1070
Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI mobo
Intel Core i5 3570K (OCed to 4.2 GHz)
Corsair 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Seasonic 520W psu
Cooler Master GeminII S524 CPU Heatsink
Bitfenix Spectre Pro fan
Samsung 830 Series 128GB sshd
12X Blu-Ray Reader
1 TB hd

zeemumu

Seems like you already have a pretty solid suggestion but I'll throw in my 2 cents as well.

Slightly better CPU slightly worse GPU and only a single HDD.

Hmm, I might end up mixing and matching and seeing if I can get away with a single HDD with the CPU and GPU of the other one to start and then get the SSD if I feel like it's not cutting it. Sort of a buy as you go. Thoughts?

Dr.Acula

Banned
My orders went through. I bought my Fatal1ty B350 M4 the other day for about ~125 CAD, pulled the trigger because the mail-in-rebate was going to expire Aug 3rd (already sent in). Now i've got a Ryzen 1600, 16 gigs of 3000mhz ram, and a 1080ti in the mail. I hate ordering stuff online, but the place where I bought my mobo was sold out of the 1600, and their ram was too expensive.

Only thing I need is an evo 960 m.2, but the 250gb is on backorder and I feel like I'd be breaking the bank for the 500. Hmmm.

Hmm, I might end up mixing and matching and seeing if I can get away with a single HDD with the CPU and GPU of the other one to start and then get the SSD if I feel like it's not cutting it. Sort of a buy as you go. Thoughts?

I would never build a system w/o the primary OS drive being solid state. Even if you only get a 200 gig drive, just play one game at a time or something ;)

bomblord1

Banned

I find buying parts a little at a time as I have the money usually a good idea if that's what you are referring to.

dcx4610

another stupid question (I am a noob, please be patient):

I am building a system with Ryzen 6 1600, gygabyte GTX 1080 windoforce.
My case is p400s, and it comes with 2 case fans(in front, one rear). 120mm

how many fans should I use? I plan to overclock the ryzen a bit, nothing fancy.

I was thinking adding a 140mm in the rear (exhaust), and put 2 120mm in the front as intake. Do I add a third fan as front intake? any need for top fans (exhaust or intake?)

Ideally you want cool air coming in hitting your components and then exhaust the remaining heat. At minimum, you want 1 front fans and 1 exhaust fan. To be the most efficient (imo) is 2 big front fans sucking air in, a good sized rear fan to exhaust the heat and if possible, 1 or 2 fans on top also for exhaust.

I still prefer air cooling and I get extremely good results with this set up every build.

mdsfx

So my kids somehow shattered my 1920x1080 monitor and I need a replacement. I'd like to stay at that resolution due to my rig limitations for performance. Any recommendations??

So my kids somehow shattered my 1920x1080 monitor and I need a replacement. I'd like to stay at that resolution due to my rig limitations for performance. Any recommendations??

Depends what you're doing with it, but this Acer is a nice cheapo one.

A decent ASUS one, little more expensive, but has a 1ms response time instead of the 5ms with the above Acer.

Speaking of monitors, does anyone know of an inexpensive VESA mount that doesn't clamp to a desk, but is somehow weighted enough that it rests on the desk? I want to mount my VE247H in portrait mode, but the only way I can find to do that is with a VESA mount... however, I don't have any space on/near my desk to which a standard clamp-style VESA mount will work, so I'm looking for an alternative. Any ideas?

Raxious

Ideally you want cool air coming in hitting your components and then exhaust the remaining heat. At minimum, you want 1 front fans and 1 exhaust fan. To be the most efficient (imo) is 2 big front fans sucking air in, a good sized rear fan to exhaust the heat and if possible, 1 or 2 fans on top also for exhaust.

I still prefer air cooling and I get extremely good results with this set up every build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ

1 front and 1 back should be more than enough.

Dumb question time. Sorry I don't really keep up with CPU news lol. With whatever intel is releasing next will it be worth upgrading from a 4770k? This CPU still plays everything great and I have no issues with games I play. Just curious really. Also I have this cooler:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856078

I didn't build this PC and am unfamiliar with liquid cooling (only ever used air coolers). Will that work on whatever the next intel chip is (if it's worth upgrading too that is) and if so is it easy to just swap over? I realize I would need a new mobo/ram with the CPU of course. But I've just never dealt with liquid coolers so unfamiliar with installation and such.

kevin1025

Banned
Dumb question time. Sorry I don't really keep up with CPU news lol. With whatever intel is releasing next will it be worth upgrading from a 4770k? This CPU still plays everything great and I have no issues with games I play. Just curious really. Also I have this cooler:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856078

I didn't build this PC and am unfamiliar with liquid cooling (only ever used air coolers). Will that work on whatever the next intel chip is (if it's worth upgrading too that is) and if so is it easy to just swap over? I realize I would need a new mobo/ram with the CPU of course. But I've just never dealt with liquid coolers so unfamiliar with installation and such.

I don't know much of anything, haha, but I think the next Intel line are six-cores, unless someone can correct me. They're called Coffee Lake, and there's rumors it was going to be in the fall but got pushed to potentially February now.

Hopefully someone can confirm that, I don't know for certain!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I know this isn't the tech support thread (is there one?) But can someone explain why in the goddamn fuck my Geforce 1070 with a BenQ 1440p monitor will occasionally boot to the desktop at only 1080p resolution when I have it is supposed to be set to 1440p? When that happens it doesn't even give me the option to select 1440p. I usually just have to reboot the computer. This seems to be happening more frequently now and it's just pissing me off.

I know this isn't the tech support thread (is there one?) But can someone explain why in the goddamn fuck my Geforce 1070 with a BenQ 1440p monitor will occasionally boot to the desktop at only 1080p resolution when I have it is supposed to be set to 1440p? When that happens it doesn't even give me the option to select 1440p. I usually just have to reboot the computer. This seems to be happening more frequently now and it's just pissing me off.

Not really sure, but I'd suggest you try swapping out the cable you're using (HDMI or DisplayPort or whatever) with a different one. Easy/quick test so it's a good first step.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Have you tried a different / newer driver for the video card?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not really sure, but I'd suggest you try swapping out the cable you're using (HDMI or DisplayPort or whatever) with a different one. Easy/quick test so it's a good first step.
Have you tried a different / newer driver for the video card?
It's only happened twice. Once before I updated my latest drivers and again after.

However, I don't recall it ever happening before I updated to the latest BIOS.

Sou Da

Maybe go check one out in person. I don't like how low DPI 1080p at 27" is but you might not care.
Yeah I was thinking about that. You folks got a good recommendation for a 24 in?

EDIT: That monitor I linked comes up to $160 after taxes and non-member fees btw.

Top Bottom