• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

That's awesome. Do you mind telling me what HDMI cable you used? I bought a 25 foot one from Amazon but it didn't work. No signal. Sent it back. :(

I just used this one:

HDMI Cable

Cheap, really well reviewed, and did the trick for me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried before plugging it in after spending hours running the cable to the living room. Probably should've tested it before putting in all that work, lol. Oh well!

zedge

I just used this one:

HDMI Cable

Cheap, really well reviewed, and did the trick for me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried before plugging it in after spending hours running the cable to the living room. Probably should've tested it before putting in all that work, lol. Oh well!

Haha no kidding. Thanks.

dcx4610

Getting the itch for a build upgrade. All I plan to upgrade is motherboard, CPU and memory. The CPU choice is obviously going to influence everything else and I'll probably go M.2 drive as well.

For CPU, I currently have a i7 4790k which is still capable but starting to show it's age in games like Watch Dogs 2. I'm leaning towards the i7 7800x but I'm seeing mixed reviews. I've never had an AMD processor and while I'm open minded but hesitant since they've lagged behind for so long.

Any suggestions or should I wait it out for the next round?

kuYuri

Is it a bad time to buy a 1070?

Looking for 4k30 on current gen titles.

Yes, prices have increased significantly cause of miners. Would recommend a 1080 for slightly more money instead. I've seen 1080s for about $40-$50 more which is a big increase in power considering.

Is it a bad time to buy a 1070?

Looking for 4k30 on current gen titles.

Mining has made Graphics card prices insane. Spend the extra and get the 1080.

I just picked up a 1080 ti at cost. First time in my history of building computers that I paid suggested retail for a card. Absolutely insane.

Najaf

Don't really know what to make of the coffee lake headlines of late. Will this be a good step up from Intel's latest offerings? All the praise for AMD has put my upgrade plans on hold to see how Intel responds.

Don't really know what to make of the coffee lake headlines of late. Will this be a good step up from Intel's latest offerings? All the praise for AMD has put my upgrade plans on hold to see how Intel responds.

That is a safe bet. I had a PC from 2010 so I was forced to upgrade. If you are not in a forced upgrade situation a few months will not kill you.

From a gaming POV, 6 cores isn't really going to matter much for at least a couple years. Don't expect miracles from Coffee Lake.

Getting the itch for a build upgrade. All I plan to upgrade is motherboard, CPU and memory. The CPU choice is obviously going to influence everything else and I'll probably go M.2 drive as well.

For CPU, I currently have a i7 4790k which is still capable but starting to show it's age in games like Watch Dogs 2. I'm leaning towards the i7 7800x but I'm seeing mixed reviews. I've never had an AMD processor and while I'm open minded but hesitant since they've lagged behind for so long.

Any suggestions or should I wait it out for the next round?

Isn't watch dogs 2 terribly optimized? I have a 4770k and was researching if it was worth upgrading a couple days ago and the answer seems to be nope not yet. Can't say I have any complaints regarding the CPU I was just curious really. This thing still plays everything amazingly well.

I am going to buy parts from microcenter and have them build it. This is the build I'm going with:

CPU

AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard

Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage

Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card

EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card

Buy
Case

NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply

EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Is this good for a budget under 900?

Update:

I decided to go with Corsair CX650M and added a Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB ($99.99). I also got a WD Black Performance 1TB hard drive for $59.99.

I wish I had the time to put it together and test it. Hopefully Microcenter does a good job doing that for me.

MANGOD

Banned
Without derailing the thread but I keep coming across graphic card prices going through the roof because of mining. Can someone explain wtf this means please?

Liha

Banned
Well, obvious do the upgrade, since it's free. You'll probably need a new PSU since it was hit by lightning. A newer graphics card would be good also, if it's not overpriced.

Thank you for your advice. I just want to play PUBG and BF1 with high and stable FPS so which one would be the best for my needs?

Thank you for your advice. I just want to play PUBG and BF1 with high and stable FPS so which one would be the best for my needs?

Understand that PUBG is still an EA game and not really well optimized yet so I wouldn't expect a solid frame rate on that one regardless of what you have really. People all play on low settings anyway as it gives you an advantage lol. I play on a 1060 and it's fine.

Do SSD and Hard drives consume much power? Because I have two old SSD (Crucial M4 64GB and Samsung 840 128GB with TLC NAND) and two old drives (Samsung Hybrid 500GB Drive and WD Blue 640GB drive). I just wanted to start out with a fresh SSD and hard drive for this new build

It would eventually be a total of 3 SSD and 3 Hard drives.

Bloodember

Pubg is still early access so it's not optimized yet. If I were you get both. Your Computer was hit by lightning the psu should be changed no matter what, I don't care if it shows ok. You only need a 500w psu, not anywhere near 700w. If you can get a GPU at a good price grab one, if not wait till prices stabilize.

Liha

Banned
Pubg is still early access so it's not optimized yet. If I were you get both. Your Computer was hit by lightning the psu should be changed no matter what, I don't care if it shows ok. You only need a 500w psu, not anywhere near 700w. If you can get a GPU at a good price grab one, if not wait till prices stabilize.

Should I keep my PSU or get a new one (old one is still working) and should I get a 1060GTX 6GB or another one? I also want to get a larger SSD (SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB).

👀
Yes, prices have increased significantly cause of miners. Would recommend a 1080 for slightly more money instead. I've seen 1080s for about $40-$50 more which is a big increase in power considering.

Mining has made Graphics card prices insane. Spend the extra and get the 1080.

I just picked up a 1080 ti at cost. First time in my history of building computers that I paid suggested retail for a card. Absolutely insane.
Yeah, I'm really tempted by the 1080. It's only £50 more than the 1070 which is... ridiculous.

Guys I'm taking my build and converting it to a Mini-ITX, I can't decide on a case. I'm looking for something cheap, short, and that has at some decent airflow.

- Cooler Master Elite 130
- Fractal Design Define Nano S
- SilverStone SG13B w/ the Mesh Front
- Thermaltake Core V21?

What do you guys think? I gotta fit a GTX770 and an ATX Modular PSU.
The Elite 130 doesn't have much clearance between the PSU and CPU. Think, barely room for a small stock cooler. But there is room for a 120mm rad up front and the GPU has its own intake vents on the side.

I built my HTPC in one, really cramped.

jrcbandit

Update:

I decided to go with Corsair CX650M and added a Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB ($99.99). I also got a WD Black Performance 1TB hard drive for $59.99.

I wish I had the time to put it together and test it. Hopefully Microcenter does a good job doing that for me.

Any way to upgrade the 1060 to a 6 gb card (or are they all out of stock due to miners)? The card will have much more longevity with the extra 3 GB of memory. 3 is just way too limiting with today's games. WTH, i just did a search and Microcenter is pricing 1060s at $299/285, guess it isn't just online stores that jack up in response to miners. Try going for the $285 card, I see the 3 GB models going for like $230-250 which is freaking ridiculous as they should be $199.

Any way to upgrade the 1060 to a 6 gb card (or are they all out of stock due to miners)? The card will have much more longevity with the extra 3 GB of memory. 3 is just way too limiting with today's games. WTH, i just did a search and Microcenter is pricing 1060s at $299/285, guess it isn't just online stores that jack up in response to miners. Maybe go for the $285 card.

I already bought the 3GB version for $219 plus I would have needed to drop the SSD if I wanted it. I'll most likely upgrade to a Volta card next year so the 3GB version should be fine till then.

Bloodember

Should I keep my PSU or get a new one (old one is still working) and should I get a 1060GTX 6GB or another one? I also want to get a larger SSD (SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB).
It was hit by lightning yes I would get a new psu. If the 1060 isn't above MSRP yes. SSD is up to you.

Late response, but I'm so jealous of this deal. I'd been checking Amazon Warehouse deals, but it hadn't occurred to me to check Adorama. I'll keep an eye out for a similar price. If you haven't already, let us know what condition it's in when it arrives!

So my Dell S2417DG arrived today. Box was a bit beat up but the monitor seems flawless. I don't even understand how it's listed as only "Very Good" condition. Works beautifully, no issues at all, no dead pixels, and got it calibrated a bit already and it's quite improved. $290 including taxes and shipping for a Dell S2417DG? Fucking insanely good deal IMO.

Trogdor1123

Are we expecting a big change in ram in the nExt year or so? I can get 16 gigs of good ddr4 from a friend for dirt cheap but I'm not making my new pc till next spring. I'd hate to sit on them for a year when another buddy could use them now.

On a side note, I upgrade ever 4-5 years. Is 16 gigs enough for that time frame?

So my Dell S2417DG arrived today. Box was a bit beat up but the monitor seems flawless. I don't even understand how it's listed as only "Very Good" condition. Works beautifully, no issues at all, no dead pixels, and got it calibrated a bit already and it's quite improved. $290 including taxes and shipping for a Dell S2417DG? Fucking insanely good deal IMO.

Yeah the monitor is brilliant for the price. There are calibration specs all over the net for it. Is it an upgrade?

Flandy

My friend wants a 1080Ti and is looking between these two
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXJL3HM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-gfx-gtx-1080-ti-liquid-cooled-graphics-card

The Gigabyte seems to have been the best in a lot of benchmarks he looked at and it's also one of the more quiet cards which is something he likes.
He had a few questions about the MSI/Corsair
Does it requires any extra water cooling specific maintenance? Does he need to buy anything else extra because it's liquid cooled?

kuYuri

The Gigabyte seems to have been the best in a lot of benchmarks he looked at and it's also one of the more quiet cards which is something he likes.
Does it requires any extra water cooling specific maintenance? Does he need to buy anything else extra because it's liquid cooled?

Nope. AIO water coolers are designed to be just that, little to no maintenance like any other air cooler.

It is a closed loop system. Completly plug and play. If your friend does not really care about insane clocking it is fine.

MRORANGE

Hey, I've been a mac user for a while but want a pc for gaming. Mostly DOTA, PUBG, old games. Are there any good deals for pre-built pc, budget around £500?

Quite a stretch but doable if you are willing to build, the 1050ti will allow for 50fps at highh 1080p settings:

piKc0Mz.png

The board will allow to easily OC and future RAM options and GPU options will make this a very good option for upgrading when needs be.

Hopeford

Are there any trends showing mining slowing down? Since I had to deal with Newegg support and things didn't go right, wondering if I should wait it out a bit until the mining craze goes away...or if this is here to stay.

Need help, I am starting to build my PC. I have a p400s case, and it came with 2 fans and a fan control. Both fans are connected to the fan control, but the connection of the fan control is female, where do I plug on the Mobo? I need extra cable ? It is not in the box. Fuck

20170802_205248.jpg

Jarnet87

From a gaming POV, 6 cores isn't really going to matter much for at least a couple years. Don't expect miracles from Coffee Lake.

As a prospective first time builder all i really hope is that it's not a huge jump in price from kaby lake and that they listened to all the complaints about the high temps.

All I use my desktop for it to game with minor multi tasking like watching streams or youtube and having voice chat programs open. I keep leaning towards the I7700k but I am looking to build this machine for a 5-6 year use period with very little upgrades aside from a graphics card refresh after 3-4 years and a RAM upgrade. That and the temperatures scare me even though I would plan on buying a high end AIO or air cooler. the long term use makes me think the 1700 could be the right choice if games head towards using more cores but hasn't there been talk about games going that way for awhile now. my current computer has an I7 860 so either would probably be a huge upgrade lol.

Need help, I am starting to build my PC. I have a p400s case, and it came with 2 fans and a fan control. Both fans are connected to the fan control, but the connection of the fan control is female, where do I plug on the Mobo? I need extra cable ? It is not in the box. Fuck

20170802_205248.jpg

Have you checked the manual (for the case)? I built a system with a P400S a few months ago and that doesn't look familiar. I think you are probably looking at the wrong cable, just check the manual to be sure.

Yeah the monitor is brilliant for the price. There are calibration specs all over the net for it. Is it an upgrade?

I was using a single ASUS VE247H. So I went from 1080p/60 to 1440p/165/GSync. Huge upgrade for my new 1080 Ti.

I'm looking into getting a dual monitor stand so I can set the old monitor in portrait and use it for streaming purposes. Pretty excited for that.

CazTGG

This happened to me once, and I just explained the situation to their CS Chat. I'm pretty sure they gave me store credit for the difference. Not a perfect solution, and the store credit had an expiration date, but it made me feel better. You could try something similar. *shrug*

I'll give it a shot but i'd prefer not to bother CS about this given the response they originally gave.

Top Bottom