• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

kmfdmpig

my new build <3 got rid of my nzxt h440 and went smaller with s340 elite and upgraded to z270:
my desk is cluttered but oh well lol

What RGB strip(s) do you have? I have the same case and like the look of what you have there. Did you line them all around the case (behind the darker part of the tempered glass?

Smokey

I not too recently bought the Dell S2716DG and it's great. I think the one you're looking at is the Dell S2417DG which is similar to mine but slightly smaller and can support higher framerates. Only flaw is that they don't come with built in speaker if you prefer that. I also heard that 1440p doesn't look as good in 24 inch screens but it might not bother everybody.

980 ti can't handle 4K well, and to be frank neither can the 1080 ti fully handle it. You're better off waiting for Volta.

As for the CPU, I don't know how much Ice Lake will offer over coffee lake (and I doubt that anyone who doesn't work at Intel knows, either).
I mean Coffee is getting 6 cores so that alone should give it a decent bump over what we currently have. Only problem is that the first generation of motherboards, which are repurposed 270s.

A 1080ti works well at 4k...

ocean

Banned
I've spent more time working on this while at work today than I should have haha. Anyway I removed the peripherals and monitor my friend put to just focus on the build. I told him not to include those things in his budget. I looked into that Noctua he picked and it seems better than most AiO coolers, I'm not a fan (get it?) but I can't deny the performance and price. Swapped out the RAM and MOBO and added an SSD, also put a GPU I'd go for.

I'll verify with him later today but it seems like he plans to stick to 1080p for now so I think this will take care of most things just fine for a while. I want this build to last him and for him to only need minor upgrades or be able to OC with my help in the future. What do you guys think?

I really want this to go well as his experience could potentially enable a bunch of my PS4 buddies to make the jump to PC gaming (I want my Destiny group to follow!)
The pre built I listed has some compromises (like a motherboard you can't OC your CPU with) but ultimately it's the same price for a significantly better performer. The leap from a 1070 to a 1080TI, for a computer that costs the same, is something you definitely want to consider.

There's only 1 left in stock (there were 11 when I first posted) but for just under 1500$ you get 7700K, liquid cooling, 1080TI, 16GB RAM, SSD+HDD, RGB mouse/keyboard...

I usually wouldn't vouch for a pre built but this is an anomaly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGY1V86/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just posting again just in case people doing builds are looking to save a little.

Intel G4560 1151 processor (New/Sealed) $70

ThermalTake ToughPower 750w Gold rated PSU. Used, but in great condition. $60

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153198

Asrock H170A-X1 Motherboard 1151 socket Great for a new gaming build. Used for two months kind of infrequently. Ended up getting a different Mobo during a deal that can support a lot more PCI lanes. Asking $65.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157683

I also have extra sticks of Corsair Vengenace 2400mhz DDR4 ram in 4GB sticks, $25 a stick
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820233716

Or PNY Anarchy 2400mhz 8GB sticks for $40 a stick.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178874

Chris R

Man, this case looks so damn good. A shame it doesn't seem to come in a mATX variety, even if the vertical GPU mount would be higher than the 4 slots you normally get in such a case :(

Already thinking about a potential new case for my build next year lol

SourBear

Banned
Looking for a good after market cooler that is AM4 compatible out of the box. I don't want to wait for a company to mail me shit after I've already bought the product. AIO or air I don't care really. It will be going in a Fractal Design Mini C

kmfdmpig

The pre built I listed has some compromises (like a motherboard you can't OC your CPU with) but ultimately it's the same price for a significantly better performer. The leap from a 1070 to a 1080TI, for a computer that costs the same, is something you definitely want to consider.

There's only 1 left in stock (there were 11 when I first posted) but for just under 1500$ you get 7700K, liquid cooling, 1080TI, 16GB RAM, SSD+HDD, RGB mouse/keyboard...

That would be much faster. I actually almost got that one but I didn't like the case and felt nervous about them cutting corners on cooling and psu. Still the specs for the price are great.

Looking for a good after market cooler that is AM4 compatible out of the box. I don't want to wait for a company to mail me shit after I've already bought the product. AIO or air I don't care really. It will be going in a Fractal Design Mini C

Well, I know the Deepcool Captain 240EX AIOs come with AM4 out of box.

Whatever you do, don't get a Coolermaster 212 LED Turbo. It's compatible out of the box but the bracket that comes with it is absolute trash.

Noctua have some "special" editions for AM4, haven't had any experience with them but from what I've seen of their brackets, they look veer easy to install and sturdy.

Voidwolf

Two minor suggestions.

1) Can you find RAM at an equivalent price but at a higher frequency? Instead of 2133 go for 2400 or higher if you can. It's minor, but I feel like you can finder faster RAM at that price.

2) get a 500-550w PSU. I know it's overkill, but if you want more upgradeability in the future, this'll give you an easier time swapping in a new GPU in 1-3 years. Given the Vega line from AMD is so power hungry, it wouldn't be entirely impossible for a good AMD-based GPU upgrade to appear in the next few refreshes, but you'd need/want more than 450w at that point.

Just some ideas. The build you have is solid as-is of course.

You're entirely right on both counts, I had 2400 RAM in there earlier but swapped it out, I'll check again in a bit. I'll do the same for the PSU, thanks!

Edit: Just noticed there was a new page...

Needs faster RAM and a better PSU. This list also takes advantage of the M.2 SSD slot on his Mobo for super fastness. You'll notice a solid improvement for only $100 more.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($323.11 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.95 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270H ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($142.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($147.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($117.60 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card ($443.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.69 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1579.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-29 17:14 EDT-0400

Good stuff, I like it. I'll be stealing this.

It's tempting dude, I'm not gonna lie. I'll mention it to him (although looks to be sold out atm) but I lean heavily towards building your own system. I think people end up appreciating it more in the end.

Silvard

Alright guys, I'm in the market for a new PC and I've come here for some suggestions. First of all, I'm experienced at building my own, even modifying cases to fit components and doing cable management, so nothing is really off the table here (except things that look ugly).

So I've been considering ordering a pre-built computer, something that probably sounds like heresy around these parts, because I don't mind paying a premium to not have to bother building it myself. I wouldn't have to wait around for parts to arrive at different speeds or worry about individual warranties. That said, I'm interested in the PC remaining at least slightly upgradable, and I have some requirements in terms of size and volume and what not, which leaves very few options.

Specifically I was looking at the Corsair One 1080Ti edition. This thing looks pretty damn good, and reviews are very positive. It seems like the build quality, thermals and acoustics are all very good. It can even be upgraded, albeit with some difficulty. The main problem is....it's out of stock. I've contacted Corsair and they've told me that they have no ETA on when it's getting a restock or if it's going to get restocked at all, which is quite annoying. I wish they'd tell me so I can know if I wait or if move on.

So keeping that in mind I'd like to start considering the possibility of simply building my own. As I said I'm very comfortable doing so because I've done it multiple times in the past, but I'm not particularly up to date on all the options for components or, more importantly, cases out there. This is where you come in GAF.

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs:
Surface Book i7 with the dedicated GPU.
Budget: $3000 USA
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Everything 5.
Monitor Resolution: 3440x1440. I will add a second ultra wide once the new g-sync HDR monitors come out, but they're also that resolution.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Anything well, with all whistles and bells. Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, Destiny 2, Civ 6, Hearthstone...
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope.
When will you build?:ASAP, would like to have the computer up and running by October 10.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not, but maybe?

Aside from components I'd like recommendation for a decent case that's small as possible while being able to hold all components in a decent thermal envelope. It also has to look nice. Ideally I'd be able to fit watercooling, even if it's like the Corsair One where it's essentially a couple of AIO kits, but I know I have to be flexible on this.

Jarnet87

Thoughts on the EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC, and the two 1080ti cards they have available through the step up program (EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING and EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition GAMING?

I have an I7 860 which some people said is still a decent CPU, if I upgrade the graphics card I should be able to play some newer games like PUBG. Was not looking to get a mid range card but the step up program they have looks like a good option with the intent to build the new system in a few months time.

Boss Man

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the most popular 1060 6GB options and how they differ? I also need MOBO help.

Coming into this build from an angle where I could technically get whatever, but my primary objective is bang-for-buck and I've decided on the case.

Here's what I've got so far:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/fancycorndog/saved/mjttJx

I want to run high settings at 1080p 60fps for a while.

kmfdmpig

Thoughts on the EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC, and the two 1080ti cards they have available through the step up program (EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING and EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition GAMING?

I have an I7 860 which some people said is still a decent CPU, if I upgrade the graphics card I should be able to play some newer games like PUBG. Was not looking to get a mid range card but the step up program they have looks like a good option with the intent to build the new system in a few months time.

I have the 1080 Ti SC Black Edition and it's been great. Runs cool and quiet and performs quite well. I actually didn't realize that there was a non "SC" Black Edition. It looks like the SC edition is just clocked a bit higher:

SC:
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti
3584 Pixel Pipelines
1556 MHz Base Clock
1670 MHz Boost Clock
348.8GT/s Texture Fill Rate

Non-SC:
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti
3584 Pixel Pipelines
1480 MHz Base Clock
1582 MHz Boost Clock
348.8GT/s Texture Fill Rate

Buying from a different vendor could cut the cooler cost in half.

I'd recommend getting a different SSD.
Otherwise the build looks reasonable to me.

Sorry for the double post.

Ahh true, that CPU cooler wasnt thought through. I'm gonna find a cheapo one.

You suggest a better ssd? Thanks for the advice!

EDIT:

OK ROUND 428

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n8MDLD

Swapped out the cooler for the generic one I use. ALTHOUGH, im not positive that will fit her case since it's huge... what do you guys think?

(Also swapped out ssd for the samsung one I use and made it 500gb, removed monitor since Im gonna give her mine, added a mouse)

that's an obscene price for a 140mm CPU cooler

Yeaaaa... didn't notice that. It has been dealt with!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J6W47h

Alright who approves of this build for my coworker? She needs one for game-development (art) and playing games.

Would love some eyes to help her!

Thanks!

that's an obscene price for a 140mm CPU cooler

edit: I see. Well I would go for something bigger than the Hyper 212 EVO to leave room for OC the 7700K more confortably. I think your were right to go for liquid cooler first. Additionally, seems like that case could be a bit awkward to built since it seem lyou can't remove the cages for HDD in front and whatnot.

kmfdmpig

Ahh true, that CPU cooler wasnt thought through. I'm gonna find a cheapo one.

You suggest a better ssd? Thanks for the advice!

EDIT:

OK ROUND 428

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n8MDLD

Swapped out the cooler for the generic one I use. ALTHOUGH, im not positive that will fit her case since it's huge... what do you guys think?

(Also swapped out ssd for the samsung one I use and made it 500gb, removed monitor since Im gonna give her mine, added a mouse)

Yeaaaa... didn't notice that. It has been dealt with!

If you want to stick with the same cooler just get it from one of the other vendors and it will be around 85-90 instead of the inflated price that outletpc had it at.

Looking at the specs of the case I'm not sure it can take a radiator bigger than 120mm, so maybe an air cooler would be a better option for that case?

Don't get the Hyper 212 for the 7700k, however. It was a great (legendary in its time) cooler, but it's been far surpassed by many other air coolers, and the 212 is not really up to the task of handling a 7700k.

Look at the air coolers in the OP as they'll perform much better and be a better match for the CPU.

The 850 will be good, and the larger size will allow her to put a few games on the SSD which will help a lot with loading.

cdyhybrid

My machine chugs a little bit (particularly my GPU) when playing new content in WoW - looking for some good bang-for-my-buck improvements that will help with that. Specs below:

b64DXCT.png

I also have an Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 Modular Power Supply

I also play DOTA (haven't had issues with it), XCOM 1/2 (2 pushes my machine a good bit), and Skyrim occasionally (but not super concerned about this, I plan to upgrade again before ES6 anyway). Other than games I mostly just do general use things, nothing demanding on hardware.

Any help is appreciated!

pislit

Was all good when I realize I can sell my 1060 for the same price, even more, when I bought it last year. But the fuck are these prices of 1070, literally 100 dollar price hike! At least in my country.

When will the mining craze die down, I'm upgrading my RAM instead, and surprise! Much more expensive than last year for the same model. Damn shortages.

NEO0MJ

A 1080ti works well at 4k...

I mostly meant when it came to maxing all games at 4K. Aren't there games that are too much for it? And since the poster already had a 980 ti (which can also run a few games at 4k) I feel it would be best to wait for Volta.

My machine chugs a little bit (particularly my GPU) when playing new content in WoW - looking for some good bang-for-my-buck improvements that will help with that. Specs below:

b64DXCT.png

I also have an Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 Modular Power Supply

I also play DOTA (haven't had issues with it), XCOM 1/2 (2 pushes my machine a good bit), and Skyrim occasionally (but not super concerned about this, I plan to upgrade again before ES6 anyway). Other than games I mostly just do general use things, nothing demanding on hardware.

Any help is appreciated!

All you need is a new GPU (and OC your CPU some!).

What's your budget? I'd be looking at maybe a 1070 or Vega 56.

cdyhybrid

All you need is a new GPU (and OC your CPU some!).

What's your budget? I'd be looking at maybe a 1070 or Vega 56.

$500ish or less ideally. Wouldn't need to upgrade my PSU for a 1070?

I was going to OC my CPU when I got it but I got scared and said fuck it instead of accidentally melting it D:

Hey INANPC GAF, I'm working on making some new example builds for the OP to get things more updated e.g., GPU price hikes and Ryzen. Anyone have any thoughts on these builds? I'm sure they're not perfect. I used PCPP for these as I think it's a bit easier to modify, and I may edit the lists to include parametric pricing for some parts as that should allow the lists to maintain viability for longer. I also like to include a few extra things the OP doesn't add, such as Windows and a bare minimum level of case fans.

Any suggestions? Explanations are included with each build.

Entry-level dual-core, $500
Entry-level quad-core, $800
Mid-range/balanced, $1,050
Upper-mid tier, $1,250
Octa-core first-level, $1,550
Octa-core second-level, $1,700
AMD high-end gaming, $1,900
Intel high-end gaming, $2,000
The "f*** you money" AMD build, $2,650
The "f*** you money" Intel build, $2,600

Hey INANPC GAF, I'm working on making some new example builds for the OP to get things more updated e.g., GPU price hikes and Ryzen. Anyone have any thoughts on these builds? I'm sure they're not perfect. I used PCPP for these as I think it's a bit easier to modify, and I may edit the lists to include parametric pricing for some parts as that should allow the lists to maintain viability for longer. I also like to include a few extra things the OP doesn't add, such as Windows and a bare minimum level of case fans.

Entry-level dual-core, $500
Entry-level quad-core, $800
Mid-range/balanced, $1,050
Upper-mid tier, $1,250
Octa-core first-level, $1,550
Octa-core second-level, $1,700
AMD high-end gaming, $1,900
Intel high-end gaming, $2,000
The "f*** you money" AMD build, $2,650
The "f*** you money" Intel build, $2,600

Nice idea. I only clicked on the intel high end but I'd suggest swapping the PSU for an EVGA G3. For the price the NEX unit doesn't make sense imo (see http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=442).

Does the D15 fit inside the case? It's only an extra $10 and you get a second high quality noctua fan, so I'd be inclined to go that way. MSI boards I don't know anything about though I lean Asus or Gigabyte myself.

Keep in mind that MX300 is a SATA drive in an m.2 form factor, so you won't get PCI-E speeds. Maybe pony up for the 960 evo or swap an 850 evo? Dunno how well the MX300 performs though--though I think the MX200 was a backwards step from the MX100 IIRC?

fake edit: just noticed you noted the SATA bit on the link. ignore above then.

BTW that RAM right now is only listed for sale by a third party on newegg for whatever reason.

Sorry, just some thoughts!

Nice idea. I only clicked on the intel high end but I'd suggest swapping the PSU for an EVGA G3. For the price the NEX unit doesn't make sense imo (see http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=442).

Does the D15 fit inside the case? It's only an extra $10 and you get a second high quality noctua fan, so I'd be inclined to go that way. MSI boards I don't know anything about though I lean Asus or Gigabyte myself.

Keep in mind that MX300 is a SATA drive in an m.2 form factor, so you won't get PCI-E speeds. Maybe pony up for the 960 evo or swap an 850 evo? Dunno how well the MX300 performs though--though I think the MX200 was a backwards step from the MX100 IIRC?

fake edit: just noticed you noted the SATA bit on the link. ignore above then.

BTW that RAM right now is only listed for sale by a third party on newegg for whatever reason.

Sorry, just some thoughts!

I appreciate the input. PCPP seems to think the D15 may not fit, hence the D14. When I'm back on my PC I'll do some rearranging especially regarding the PSU. Thanks!

Wi-fi PCIe cards or dongles maybe?

Silvard

Alright guys, I'm in the market for a new PC and I've come here for some suggestions. First of all, I'm experienced at building my own, even modifying cases to fit components and doing cable management, so nothing is really off the table here (except things that look ugly).

So I've been considering ordering a pre-built computer, something that probably sounds like heresy around these parts, because I don't mind paying a premium to not have to bother building it myself. I wouldn't have to wait around for parts to arrive at different speeds or worry about individual warranties. That said, I'm interested in the PC remaining at least slightly upgradable, and I have some requirements in terms of size and volume and what not, which leaves very few options.

Specifically I was looking at the Corsair One 1080Ti edition. This thing looks pretty damn good, and reviews are very positive. It seems like the build quality, thermals and acoustics are all very good. It can even be upgraded, albeit with some difficulty. The main problem is....it's out of stock. I've contacted Corsair and they've told me that they have no ETA on when it's getting a restock or if it's going to get restocked at all, which is quite annoying. I wish they'd tell me so I can know if I wait or if move on.

So keeping that in mind I'd like to start considering the possibility of simply building my own. As I said I'm very comfortable doing so because I've done it multiple times in the past, but I'm not particularly up to date on all the options for components or, more importantly, cases out there. This is where you come in GAF.

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs:
Surface Book i7 with the dedicated GPU.
Budget: $3000 USA
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Everything 5.
Monitor Resolution: 3440x1440. I will add a second ultra wide once the new g-sync HDR monitors come out, but they're also that resolution.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Anything well, with all whistles and bells. Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, Destiny 2, Civ 6, Hearthstone...
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope.
When will you build?:ASAP, would like to have the computer up and running by October 10.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not, but maybe?

Aside from components I'd like recommendation for a decent case that's small as possible while being able to hold all components in a decent thermal envelope. It also has to look nice. Ideally I'd be able to fit watercooling, even if it's like the Corsair One where it's essentially a couple of AIO kits, but I know I have to be flexible on this.

So I didn't get any help with this, but maybe with something more concrete to comment on:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($323.11 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H80i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($91.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($427.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($80.44 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($80.44 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 HYBRID GAMING Video Card ($789.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone - FT03B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($154.38 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone - Strider Titanium 600W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($136.21 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Optical Drive: Silverstone - SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Total: $2574.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-30 04:10 EDT-0400

Been meaning post some pic of my build for a while now, here it's guts:

R5 1600 with a 212 LED turbo cooler, EVGA SC2 1080, 8Gb of Corsair LPX 3000mhz RAM, ASRock B350M Pro4 motherboard, 550w Corsair PSU, 240Gb SSD and 1Tb SSHD.
Oh and a cheap LED strip. All crammed into a Thermaltake Core V21 case.

Still need tidy up the cooler fan cables, and I'm considering swapping out the 8Gb of RAM for 16Gb. Also thinking about taking the 200mm fan out the front and putting two 120mm fans in.

red731

Hello dears,

the time has come to update graphics cards.
Wedding is over, moving to another town is over and I need to revitalize my setup a little.

Bought March 2013 and still kicking 60fps with lower details on some engines, but am living more of a locked 30fps live now...

ASROCK Z77 Extreme6 mobo
i7 3770k@4.4 OC
16 GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3
7970 GHz 3GB
128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD 7.2k
750W PSU

I'm eying GTX 1070 to play in downsampled 1440 to 1080@60.

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X+ 8G? Or other brand? or even GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming possibly too. That price range is allright.

Thoughts? Notes?

Much appreciated and have a lovely day

ScOULaris

Hey everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a new (factory refurbished) EVGA GTX 1070 SC, and it's a big step up from the R9 270x that I had before. The first thing that struck me in a negative way about this card, however, is how quickly it shoots up into the low 80's temperature-wise under load.

It idles in the high 30's/low 40's with the fan being whisper quiet, and that's fantastic. But the moment I launch any game in fullscreen it ramps up into the low 80's within seconds, and the fan kicks up into the high percentage speeds as well. At this point the fans become distractingly loud while gaming.

So is this behavior normal for this card running at stock speeds?

A few things to keep in mind:
  • I live in Florida (high ambient temp, even indoors)
  • My case's airflow is good, but not great. A big exhaust fan on top with two rear exhaust fans and one lower-front intake fan.
  • I am running most games at high framerates (100-144fps) on average to take advantage of my 144hz monitor. When certain game menus lock the fps to 60, my temps drop down into the 60's and my GPU fans quiet down as well.
  • My PC is located under my desk, but not in an enclosure.
  • My CPU temps are always quite low even while overclocked, so this leads me to believe that my case's airflow might not be the issue.

Is this just the price to pay when playing at higher framerates with a more powerful GPU, or should I be concerned?

Hey everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a new (factory refurbished) EVGA GTX 1070 SC, and it's a big step up from the R9 270x that I had before. The first thing that struck me in a negative way about this card, however, is how quickly it shoots up into the low 80's temperature-wise under load.

It idles in the high 30's/low 40's with the fan being whisper quiet, and that's fantastic. But the moment I launch any game in fullscreen it ramps up into the low 80's within seconds, and the fan kicks up into the high percentage speeds as well. At this point the fans become distractingly loud while gaming.

So is this behavior normal for this card running at stock speeds?

A few things to keep in mind:
  • I live in Florida (high ambient temp, even indoors)
  • My case's airflow is good, but not great. A big exhaust fan on top with two rear exhaust fans and one lower-front intake fan.
  • I am running most games at high framerates (100-144fps) on average to take advantage of my 144hz monitor. When certain game menus lock the fps to 60, my temps drop down into the 60's and my GPU fans quiet down as well.
  • My PC is located under my desk, but not in an enclosure.
  • My CPU temps are always quite low even while overclocked, so this leads me to believe that my case's airflow might not be the issue.

Is this just the price to pay when playing at higher framerates with a more powerful GPU, or should I be concerned?

If you are talking about high ambient temperatures, how high exactly do you mean?

Looking at reviews, the SC actually seems to be one of the quieter cards and was actually praised as having "very low noise" by hardwareluxx.de.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...-1070-mit-custom-design-im-test.html?start=17
In German, but the stuff is pretty much self-explanatory, I guess.

Wi-fi PCIe cards or dongles maybe?

Might make a small list of peripherals to pick from for that purpose, or rather, add on to what's in the OP especially regarding WiFi adapters. Good idea, and thanks.

Been meaning post some pic of my build for a while now, here it's guts:

R5 1600 with a 212 LED turbo cooler, EVGA SC2 1080, 8Gb of Corsair LPX 3000mhz RAM, ASRock B350M Pro4 motherboard, 550w Corsair PSU, 240Gb SSD and 1Tb SSHD.
Oh and a cheap LED strip. All crammed into a Thermaltake Core V21 case.

Still need tidy up the cooler fan cables, and I'm considering swapping out the 8Gb of RAM for 16Gb. Also thinking about taking the 200mm fan out the front and putting two 120mm fans in.

I have the same case and our builds are similar. I ended up liquid cooling my 1080 Ti in addition to liquid cooling my CPU; I used a 240 radiator AIO front mounted for the CPU and a 140 radiator rear mounted for the GPU. I really like the front 200mm, so I kept mine in there pushing cool air into/around the 240 radiator while the fans for the radiator pull cool air in.

My advise is to leave the 200mm front fan in there. I don't think two 120s would be so much better hat it's worth it.

I also love the horizontal mobo layout. I had mine vertical for a month or two then rotated it when I put in my AIO CPU cooler. So nice having no worries of GPU sag.

If I just now bought a cryorig cooler directly from them through amazon, they gotta have the am4 mounting brace directly with it right? It looked like when I previously checked they were sold out of the cooler, then a day or two later it was in stock and I bought it, so I'm hoping it's brand new stock...

Getting the cooler Thursday and my friend is going to be over Friday to build my pc, don't want a stupid brace getting in the way of that

Hey guys, quick question: My girlfriend's graphics card has just blown (she had a 660GTX) and she's looking to spend between £90 and £130 on a new one. It's primarily used in her work machine (where she does video editing, Photoshop etc, which whilst not as graphically intensive as games, do have a lot of GPU accelerated aspects). But she also plays the odd game on it. Between these two things, she's willing to go up to about £130 (which is about $170 but because we get banged hard on hardware, it's probably worth about $130 in terms of hardware).

Any suggestions my good friends?

Might make a small list of peripherals to pick from for that purpose, or rather, add on to what's in the OP especially regarding WiFi adapters. Good idea, and thanks.

I have the same case and our builds are similar. I ended up liquid cooling my 1080 Ti in addition to liquid cooling my CPU; I used a 240 radiator AIO front mounted for the CPU and a 140 radiator rear mounted for the GPU. I really like the front 200mm, so I kept mine in there pushing cool air into/around the 240 radiator while the fans for the radiator pull cool air in.

My advise is to leave the 200mm front fan in there. I don't think two 120s would be so much better hat it's worth it.

I also love the horizontal mobo layout. I had mine vertical for a month or two then rotated it when I put in my AIO CPU cooler. So nice having no worries of GPU sag.

The only reason for wanting to change the front 200mm fan is aesthetics tbh. thinking of getting some RGB 120mm fans in there to light up the front mesh panel. Plus I find the 200mm fan is just clogging up the mesh with dust which is a pain to clean.

Would've loved to go with water cooling in there but can't justify the cost for it yet. Had my eye on one of those NZXT Kraken AIOs but the £150 price tag put me off. As is, the 212 was £35 and despite being an absolute pain to install, it's keeeping the CPU cool and it stays quiet. Staying under 65c at 3.75ghz/1.25v.
Biggest downside to it is the red LEDs. wish I knew how to turn them off.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Hey guys, quick question: My girlfriend's graphics card has just blown (she had a 660GTX) and she's looking to spend between £90 and £130 on a new one. It's primarily used in her work machine (where she does video editing, Photoshop etc, which whilst not as graphically intensive as games, do have a lot of GPU accelerated aspects). But she also plays the odd game on it. Between these two things, she's willing to go up to about £130 (which is about $170 but because we get banged hard on hardware, it's probably worth about $130 in terms of hardware).

£130 budget you'd be looking at:

Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti (although will be about £10-20 over budget)
Nvidia GTX 1050
AMD RX 560

I think the 1050 is the better card vs the 560 but if she will need more VRAM then the 560 might be the better choice or go for a 1050 Ti. Both the 1050 Ti and 560 have 4GB VRAM while the 1050 only has 2GB.

Personally, I'd go for the 1050 Ti. AMD cards do perform well but tend to run quite hot and use a lot of power in comparison to Nvidia. While the 1050 Ti might be over budget you will get better performance vs the 1050/560 and get more VRAM. If you went for the 560 you'd be sacrificing performance just for more VRAM. 2GB is not a lot these days and I'd say 4GB is the minimum if playing any games even if not often.

For around £130-140 she could get one of the cheaper 1050 Ti's new (probably a Palit one); that same money could pick up a more powerful GTX 970 used (and sans warranty). If wanting to fall in the middle of that, there's RX 560's available which, in the UK at least, haven't been consumed in the cryptocurrency boom - for editing purposes I'd recommend picking up up the 4GB variant, which in some places you can get for £120.

Hope those suggestions help.

ISee

Stupid question:

I ordered a new phone with an usb 3.1 type C port and my Asus z270 A also has usb 3.1 type C and A (one each). Now I'm trying to find an usb 3.1 type C to C (or A) 1.5-2 m cable. But there are only usb 3.0 cables on amazon.de
Those cables will obviously work (I guess) but are there no dedicated usb 3.1 cables or aren't they needed?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Stupid question:

I ordered a new phone with an usb 3.1 type C port and my Asus z270 A also has usb 3.1 type C and A (one each). Now I'm trying to find an usb 3.1 type C to C (or A) 1.5-2 m cable. But there are only usb 3.0 cables on amazon.de
Those cables will obviously work (I guess) but are there no dedicated usb 3.1 cables or aren't they needed?

Yeah, you can buy usb 3.1 cables. A 3.0 cable would work yeah but you'll only get 3.0 speeds instead of 3.1.

I had to translate the page so forgive me if I've misunderstood the listing but I think this is what you're looking for:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06ZY73DWL/

Got a Palit 1050ti that I'n looking to sell. PM if interested, only bought it earlier this year and has all the original packaging.

£130 budget you'd be looking at:

Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti (although will be about £10-20 over budget)
Nvidia GTX 1050
AMD RX 560

I think the 1050 is the better card vs the 560 but if she will need more VRAM then the 560 might be the better choice or go for a 1050 Ti. Both the 1050 Ti and 560 have 4GB VRAM while the 1050 only has 2GB.

Personally, I'd go for the 1050 Ti. AMD cards do perform well but tend to run quite hot and use a lot of power in comparison to Nvidia. While the 1050 Ti might be over budget you will get better performance vs the 1050/560 and get more VRAM. If you went for the 560 you'd be sacrificing performance just for more VRAM. 2GB is not a lot these days and I'd say 4GB is the minimum if playing any games even if not often.

For around £130-140 she could get one of the cheaper 1050 Ti's new (probably a Palit one); that same money could pick up a more powerful GTX 970 used (and sans warranty). If wanting to fall in the middle of that, there's RX 560's available which, in the UK at least, haven't been consumed in the cryptocurrency boom - for editing purposes I'd recommend picking up up the 4GB variant, which in some places you can get for £120.

Hope those suggestions help.

Thanks for the suggestions guys - it sounds like we have a winner!

Got a Palit 1050ti that I'n looking to sell. PM if interested, only bought it earlier this year and has all the original packaging.

Thanks for the offer, but as a business expense (technically) I think she'll probably want to buy a new one from a retailer. Thanks though!

The only reason for wanting to change the front 200mm fan is aesthetics tbh. thinking of getting some RGB 120mm fans in there to light up the front mesh panel. Plus I find the 200mm fan is just clogging up the mesh with dust which is a pain to clean.

Would've loved to go with water cooling in there but can't justify the cost for it yet. Had my eye on one of those NZXT Kraken AIOs but the £150 price tag put me off. As is, the 212 was £35 and despite being an absolute pain to install, it's keeeping the CPU cool and it stays quiet. Staying under 65c at 3.75ghz/1.25v.
Biggest downside to it is the red LEDs. wish I knew how to turn them off.

I hate that front dust filter not being removable. Stupid design decision. In with you in how hard it is to clean that thing.

Color in the red LEDs with a black sharpie marker. Or a small piece of electrical tape.

Top Bottom