• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

F34R

Yeah I take everything from them with a grain of salt. Plus why would NVIDIA jump so many numbers? We really won't know what they will call them until they announce them.

Oh I agree, just kinda got me "spooked" into playing a little wait game. I dunno. I might just drop for the 1070 for now, and then see what happens over the next few months, or if I even need a 1080 Ti for 1440p at this point.

Noctua's website lists the NH-D15 as being fully compatible with the Asrock X370 Taichi: http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/comp, provided you are using the required AM4 mounting kit. You should have no issues using a videocard in the top pci-e 3.0 x16 slot. However, if you did move the videocard down to the next pci-e 3.0 x16 slot then it shouldn't make any difference as far as performance.

Thank you so much!!!!!

Smokey

Cheers mate, but all good on my end. It's so weird :/. I'm going to roll back the Creators Update to Anniversary and see if the issue is still there. If so it could be hardware related.

I know for a fact the previous update to the Creator's gave me better performance, but I recently did a clean install on all my drives, and decided to give it another chance in a fresh environment.

The Asus ROG Strix Z270G Motherboard's spec page says that it has:

2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1

as expansion slots, does that mean I can safely use the second PCIe slot for my graphics card? My cooler is going to end up blocking the top PCIe slot.

ISee

2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1

as expansion slots, does that mean I can safely use the second PCIe slot for my graphics card? My cooler is going to end up blocking the top PCIe slot.

Yes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Good lord, that looks like a nightmare to install. I thought my aftermarket cooler was cumbersome.

They are the most frustrating things to install, but they look nice once in.

2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1

What cooler do you have that's that big?

Nokterian

Dunno where to post it but this is my new PC, very happy with it.

Ryzen 1700X 3,4Ghz
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 250gb SSD
Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSD
Western Digital 4 TB Black
G.Skill Flare X 16GB 3200mhz
Corsair 750i power supply
Asus Crosshair Vi Hero
Corsair Hydro Series H110i
Asus Strix GTX 1080 8GB A8G
Corsair 600c Case

First guess would be you made a mistake with the thermal paste or setting up the cooler in some manner.

Also, what vcore do you see in cpu-z?

Reset BIOS defaults and update firmware. Maybe your mobo is doing something weird. 100C is crazy, even for spikes, especially on an AIO.

Next I'd RMA it. Because I mean what else are you going to do with it? I assume you can't return? And trying to sell without telling someone why would be a dick move plus you'd lose money.

It is a solid CPU; sounds like you just had really bad luck.

Maybe the auto voltage on you MB is going nuts, for whatever reason, so take a look at the voltage levels and try a manual setting. But I seriously doubt it's that.

100°C at stock speed isn't normal at all, especially not with an AIO watercooler. Something is wrong here, if you are 100% sure it's not the cooler than rma the CPU.

That is absolutely not normal. I have the Kraken X52 and before delidding, I would see 60-65c tops at stock speeds. I replaced the stock thermal paste with Kryonaut though. I also adjusted my fan curve in CAM to react to CPU temps.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I cleaned up the thermal paste and reapplied, and while I was at it I made sure to update the bios. Something was going on, but now I feel like I got it under control. I honestly can't tell what it was as the block was connected. I'm just glad it's running better now. Haven't seen anything over 60c yet. Really appreciate the help guys.

I do have another question and this might sound stupid. I've got a EVGA 1080ti SC do I need two separate cables going to it? My cables from my EVGA G3 650 has two 6+2 pins on each cable. I only ask because it's not clear to me and I am not sure if it's getting full power or not.

Still trying to pick up a second hand 970 for circa £110

Got close a few times

A brand new 570 for £160 is certainly catching my eye though

Jabronium

Planning a build for Sept/Oct, and man, I wish solid info on the new GPU's and CPU's would hurry up and drop. The uncertainty is killing me.

RS4-

I do have another question and this might sound stupid. I've got a EVGA 1080ti SC do I need two separate cables going to it? My cables from my EVGA G3 650 has two 6+2 pins on each cable. I only ask because it's not clear to me and I am not sure if it's getting full power or not.

Use both.

Branson

I know I was suggested a different CPU cooler, but is there anything wrong with a Hyper212 now or anything? Its still the top recommend on PC part picker.

Blitzhex

Fuck it, the Dan A4 case is just too sexy. I'm not missing it this time!

(January 2018 though... ��)

pfwGjsq.jpg
Backed so hard.
I don't mind the wait. I'm just building in this for fun and new cpu and gpus should be out or nearly out by the jan-march shipping window.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Open up system for the first time in like a year to install new RAM and vid card and as I remove OLD RAM what do I see? Water leaking down the board. No power and nothing plugged in...so not too panicked. Check hoses, no leaks...hmmmm. see some dust, spray it with air since I am in there. Air blows out some more water from behind stuff.
%&#@$%$@!!!!!

Removed everything, pat dried it all, PC now drying with fan.

Gonna go buy new cooler and paste...but God damnit...i wanted to game today!!!!

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I wound up buying a prebuilt on Friday. I havent had a new PC or upgrade since 2012. Mine is still fine but figured i would upgrade everything. It is the Dell Alienware desktop on Slickdeals right now. Consensus seems like its a good deal and hard to beat pricewise when buying separately and building. Should keep me up to date for a bit with the 1080.

I can't wait to get back into PC gaming after taking a breather since the new consoles came out. Next Steam sale will be brutal for me.

A correctly running radiator fan(s) won't tell you if there's a blockage somewhere in the AIO. Yeah, if the ambient temps increase, cpu temps should also increase, but didn't you say the ambient temps were lower?
Taking a look via Google, temps are about the same, but it certainly feels a lot less hot than Thursday and Friday, which is when the heat really turned up, as well as my CPU temps.

knitoe

Taking a look via Google, temps are about the same, but it certainly feels a lot less hot than Thursday and Friday, which is when the heat really turned up, as well as my CPU temps.

It's possible you got use to the daily weather temps, and thus, it feels cooler to you. You can just monitor your temps and see if it gets worse.

Weevilone

Open up system for the first time in like a year to install new RAM and vid card and as I remove OLD RAM what do I see? Water leaking down the board. No power and nothing plugged in...so not too panicked. Check hoses, no leaks...hmmmm. see some dust, spray it with air since I am in there. Air blows out some more water from behind stuff.
%&#@$%$@!!!!!

Removed everything, pat dried it all, PC now drying with fan.

Gonna go buy new cooler and paste...but God damnit...i wanted to game today!!!!

This is why I'll never water cool. I know it's not something that happens often, but the possibility is enough to keep me away.

Does anyone know if the G.Skillz Ripjawz V RAM will fit just fine under the Noctua NH D-15 cooler? It has 64mm of RAM clearance, but can't seem to find out whether or not the Ripjawz V will work. Doing this for my Ryzen build.

Melchior

Finally building a "new" PC after 8 years. This i7 2600 still holds up but I want to get a new case/new mb for more sata slots so that snowballed into new motherboard with new CPU. I grabbed this motherboard for the decent price and it has pretty much everything I need. I thought it would be pricier but I'm saving a decent amount of money by bringing over my GPU and ram to this new PC. Cannot wait to have a PC that doesn't sound like it's prepping for take-off.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
This is why I'll never water cool. I know it's not something that happens often, but the possibility is enough to keep me away.
4 years and no issue. Was a closed system (Corsair H60) that I could not make leak a drop after I took it out. Not putting it back in fhough heh.

Need some paste now too and everywhere near me is closed. Tomorrow it is :)

Finally building a "new" PC after 8 years. This i7 2600 still holds up but I want to get a new case/new mb for more sata slots so that snowballed into new motherboard with new CPU. I grabbed this motherboard for the decent price and it has pretty much everything I need. I thought it would be pricier but I'm saving a decent amount of money by bringing over my GPU and ram to this new PC. Cannot wait to have a PC that doesn't sound like it's prepping for take-off.

If the ram you're bringing over is from your 2600 build it's not compatible (it's DDR3, for LGA 1151 you need DDR4).

Melchior

If the ram you're bringing over is from your 2600 build it's not compatible (it's DDR3, for LGA 1151 you need DDR4).

Yea I got ddr4 ram from a friend from christmas since I mentioned needed an upgrade. I just kept them in my room since I knew I was building a new pc. Pretty lucky.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does anyone know if the G.Skillz Ripjawz V RAM will fit just fine under the Noctua NH D-15 cooler? It has 64mm of RAM clearance, but can't seem to find out whether or not the Ripjawz V will work. Doing this for my Ryzen build.

In dual-fan mode the NH-D15 has 32mm of ram clearance and the ripjaws v is 42mm tall. However, you can adjust the front fan upwards by 10mm to give yourself the needed 42mm of clearance. The only thing to be aware of is that this will also increase the total height of the cooler from 165mm to 175mm so you would need to make sure that your case has the space.
http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification

Cost is the only thing that should deter you if you're a fairly experienced builder; everything else you can learn and leaks aren't as scary as they sound. When you first test, you only have the pump on so the chances of frying anything is essentially zero. Leaks that form over long periods of time aren't common and, if they do, they amount to such little water that as long as you pay attention, you'll notice it before any damage is done. It's not like something is just going to burst open and water is going to go shooting everywhere.

This is coming from someone who recently fired up their first custom loop and guess what? A leak! But the list of causes is typically narrow and I fixed mine quickly.

I went from just knowing what parts are needed/the basics to building a crazy custom loop in an open-air case. It was the most challenging by its nature but also the most fun, personalized, highest-performing and coolest-looking build I've ever done. If you have the funds and have built a few rigs, I'd totally consider it.

ISee

I know I was suggested a different CPU cooler, but is there anything wrong with a Hyper212 now or anything? Its still the top recommend on PC part picker.

The 212 Evo didn't rise in popularity because it was the best cooler out there. But it was very cheap, had a good price/performance ratio and it was way better than stock coolers.
But the competition didn't sleep and we now have even better coolers in the $30 price range like the cryorig h7 or the beQuiet pure rock.

sleepnaught

Will Coffee Lake be compatible with z270 boards? I'm thinking of just going ahead and upgrading to an i7 7700k as my i7 920 is having overheating and stability issues and I'm so ready to be rid of it. At the same time, I wanna leave the option of upgrading later to Coffee Lake if its compatible and sell the 7700k.

ISee

Will Coffee Lake be compatible with z270 boards? I'm thinking of just going ahead and upgrading to an i7 7700k as my i7 920 is having overheating and stability issues and I'm so ready to be rid of it. At the same time, I wanna leave the option of upgrading later to Coffee Lake its compatible and sell the 7700k.

Kabylake is a refreshed skylake, more or less. The improvements aren't mind blowing. Kabylake has slightly higher clock speeds, the iGPU has native h265 support, z270/h270 boards have slightly more lanes. That's probably why Intel decided to make them compatible.
Coffee lake in the ither side is supposed to be a new thing and especially the promised native USB 3.1 gen 2 support makes me thing that it won't be compatible with socket 1151. But who knows...
Still the 7700k is a huge upgrade over the 920 and it is still a long time till coffee lake arrives.
Another option would be to go for Intels new kabylake/skylake-x cpus. A high end, expansive solution if you are looking for more than 4c/8t from Intel.

Bendoruu

Neo Member
Like many people here the wait for solid info on the new CPUs is killing me. I have a good price for a Z270 / i7 7700k combo but I don't want to be hasty and regret my purchase in a few months.

According to certain sites, the unveil of Coffee Lake with 6c/12t i7 around the same price of the current i7 could arrive this summer.

Grr, this is frustrating !

StonedRider

Please, help me, PC-GAF!

i7-7700K, Gigabyte Z270x mobo, Evo 212 cooler.

I moderately oveclocked it to 4.5 Ghz with 1.280 Vcore.

CPU temp is near 80C with peaks up to 90C under heavy load (prime95), but heatsink on the cooler is completely cold. It is even cold right above the CPU. By cold I mean cooler than my body temperature.

For me it looks like the cooler does not receive heat from CPU. Do I have to reapply thermal paste?

Idle CPU temp is around 38-40C. Room ambient temp is 23C

Stubo

I think 1.28v is enough for 4.7 or 4.8Ghz from what I've seen. (There are some OC stats here)

You could try lowering the voltage a little, maybe to 1.20v - 1.22v and see if that's stable.

Is the air the fan is blowing away from the cooler warm? That's probably more important than the external plate on the cooler.

LilJoka

Please, help me, PC-GAF!

i7-7700K, Gigabyte Z270x mobo, Evo 212 cooler.

I moderately oveclocked it to 4.5 Ghz with 1.280 Vcore.

CPU temp is near 80C with peaks up to 90C under heavy load (prime95), but heatsink on the cooler is completely cold. It is even cold right above the CPU. By cold I mean cooler than my body temperature.

For me it looks like the cooler does not receive heat from CPU. Do I have to reapply thermal paste?

Idle CPU temp is around 38-40C. Room ambient temp is 23C

Temps seem about right to me.

StonedRider

No, first I noticed the air is cold even under heavy load and then decided to touch heatsink to check its temp and it is cold as fuck too.

Thanks for link, looks like I have a room to lower voltage a bit, but I need to solve my cooling problems first.

edit

Temps seem about right to me.

Isn't it supposed to be around 70C?

LilJoka

No, first I noticed the air is cold even under heavy load and then decided to touch heatsink to check its temp and it is cold as fuck too.

Thanks for link, looks like I have a room to lower voltage a bit, but I need to solve my cooling problems first.

edit

Isn't it supposed to be around 70C?

It is, and latest prime95 uses AVX2 which is probably the peak to 90c. And with a 23c ambient it's about right.
The air blowing over the heatsink should come out fairly warm.

Remember you are limited by the contact between the die and the IHS due to the paste being used rather than solder, that leads to temp spikes.

And where are you reading the vcore? CPUz vcore under load is what we would normally reference.

And what is the load line calibration set to? Level 4/5 is good for Asus.

StonedRider

It is, and latest prime95 uses AVX2 which is probably the peak to 90c. And with a 23c ambient it's about right.
The air blowing over the heatsink should come out fairly warm.

Remember you are limited by the contact between the die and the IHS due to the paste being used rather than solder, that leads to temp spikes.

And where are you reading the vcore? CPUz vcore under load is what we would normally reference.

And what is the load line calibration set to? Level 4/5 is good for Asus.

I mean vcore in bios settings, not in cpuz, will check it today after work.
Left Vcore Loadline calibration on Auto. It is not Asus, I have Gigabyte mobo. Does this setting correlate with temp peaks?

And I used nice Gigabyte overclocking guide, which advised to use prime95 v.27.9 with custom test parameters, it is not the latest version afaik.

The problem is air is not warm and heatsink is cold too. I think I will reapply thermal paste anyway, just to be sure.

Top Bottom