• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

On ebay, Q9650 are about $20 (make sure you get the model exactly right). Ask your friend for their old, battered graphics card. Simply doing that will have freshened up your computer for these older games. The main thing that drags you down is the lack of a dedicated GPU: Intel integrated are shit for gaming at reasonable resolutions.

It won't give you a modern gaming computer, but it's a cool project for peanuts. And at worst, it will give you the occasion to tinker with the insides of a computer.

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I agree, I think even as a learning experience would be good for me to at least try something basic.

EL CUCO

So I built my first rig, this weekend!

Went with i7-7700k and EVGA 1070 FTW

Thankfully everything seems to be working ok, but I do have a question about temps. Im using a mid size tower with only 1 intake case fan at the front, for the moment. For the cpu cooling im using the Cryorig H7 fan and temps hanging around 40-50c while messing around in the BIOS. Are those temps looking ok for now? I am planning on adding an exhaust fan in the back of case for better air flow.

kuYuri

Guys,
I've recently discovered Blizzard games. Yes, in 2017. Overwatch on PS4, WoW on my friends gaming PC....

Anyways, I would love to try Starcraft 2, including the new Legacy of the Void. Probably Diablo at some point, and Skyrim (yes I know its Bethesda)

But I'm new to PC gaming...I have Dell mini tower case (~280w?), vostro 230, with an SSD, Win 10 Pro, 4GB RAM, Intel E6600 Dual core 3.06 ghz

I'm fairly sure I can upgrade the CPU to the Yorkfield Q9650 per this message board: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19476163

But what should I do about the video card and PSU? Any suggestions?

Or should I take the potential $300-$400 upgrading this and put it into a new gaming PC (assuming I can strip the case, dvd drive, and SSD.)

Budget matters...especially since I only plan on playing Blizzard games and I have a PS4 Pro.

I think going the budget build for $400-$500 is the better option rather than upgrading your current build. You also get a chance to upgrade down the line even more if you are inclined without starting completely over.

Here's a great budget build I made back in November. I'm lucky enough to live near a Micro Center for the CPU/motherboard discounts and fairly patient with my deal hunting. I'm not going to say you will definitely find deals like these right now, but it's definitely possible if you know when and where to look. Prices listed are exactly the price I paid for it, plus or minus a few tweaks to include coupon discounts. This was also back when Skylake was still the newest line of CPUs, before Kaby Lake and Ryzen, and RAM prices were not ridiculous. I even managed to squeeze in a decent, budget SSD and still managed just under $500. I could have even managed to save a few extra dollars by downgrading the power supply or graphics card, etc. but I was fairly happy with the build.

This build allowed me to easily play Blizzard games, and Skyrim is old enough that this build would run it very well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $108.74)
Motherboard: Asus - H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $30.48)
Memory: Avexir - Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $36.99)
Storage: ADATA - Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $53.99)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $46.81)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card (Purchased For $134.99)
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $34.99)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $49.99)
Total: $496.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-30 09:01 EDT-0400

Bloodember

Since we seem to be on the topic of case fans, I might as well ask now.

I have the new Enthoo Evolve mATX TG case, it comes with 2 140mm fans (1 front, 1 back) and I am planning to buy a third one for a 2 front, 1 back setup along with having 2 fans on my CPU cooler.

Is that sufficient or should I consider adding another fan on the top exhaust, The top vent on this case is actually fairly limited in exhaust capacity since it only has small slits on each side as you can see below.
You shouldn't need another fan, what your going to do will be enough.

What's everyone's thoughts on these new Core X CPU's that Intel has announced?

I wonder if we'll see significant gains in gaming from the Core X i7 processor.

Jabronium

I'm interested in seeing how the 6c 7800X OC's and benches. I thought I was pretty well set on a Ryzen build in a few months but am waiting to see how the 7800X and the 6C CFL perform.

If looks don't matter, although you can get them in grey, then there's really nothing better than those Noctua fans noise/cooling performance balance wise.
Looks won't matter as those fans are hidden away rather well. I figured the Noctua fans were the favorite, but I saw a lot of recommendations for those Gentle Typhoon fans as well. Will pull the trigger on the Noctuas.

Btw, why does Gaf state you as a Junior, did you get banned or something?

It was as self-imposed ban to give myself a break a while back. Not sure why it came back as junior, but it doesn't seem like it will go away.

That PSU looks great for the price - I see it's $40 after rebate on Newegg right now. I need a new PSU to replace my 6 year old one. Would 620w be enough to support the following:

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.5 GHz
2x8 GB DDR4 3200
960 4GB
2 SSDs, 2 HDDs

Looking online, 620w seems fine for that setup - I think a 550w would even be fine, but just looking for a second opinion before I buy that SeaSonic.

ISee

Just a tiny bit to expansive for a mainstream user like me. A high end z270/7700k build is more than enough for the next 3-4 years, imo.
I would instead use the extra 100-200€ for a better GPU, a bigger SSD or a better display etc.

I don't think gaming performance will be significantly better in comparison to kabylake, at least this year. This could of course change in the future with better multi-threaded games, but if that's the case than the r7 1700x would be the better and cheaper alternative.

Long story short: High end power and 100hz+ gamers are certainly happy. I'm more in the I'll wait for better mainstream cpus camp.

Smokey

Can't wait. I'm actually more excited about the platform, Basin Falls, than the chips themselves. My X79 rig has been rock solid, but is missing alot of modern features at the motherboard level, and I have one of the higher end boards, the Rampage IV Black Edition.

I don't expect gaming performance to be a huge step up from X99 tbh.

Magwik

Banned
So I figured I'd get some outside input on my next upgrade. Currently rocking:
i5-4590
GTX 1060 3GB
2x8GB RAM
1TB HDD
500W PSU
Hopefully wanting to max out (or come close to) Destiny 2 in September.
GTX 1070
i7-7700 (which would have to include a new mobo)
2x8GB RAM
250GB SSD + 1TB HDD
500W PSU (keeping)

yay or nay?

Bloodember

That PSU looks great for the price - I see it's $40 after rebate on Newegg right now. I need a new PSU to replace my 6 year old one. Would 620w be enough to support the following:

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.5 GHz
2x8 GB DDR4 3200
960 4GB
2 SSDs, 2 HDDs

Looking online, 620w seems fine for that setup - I think a 550w would even be fine, but just looking for a second opinion before I buy that SeaSonic.
620w will be fine.

So I figured I'd get some outside input on my next upgrade. Currently rocking:

Hopefully wanting to max out (or come close to) Destiny 2 in September.

yay or nay?
You're more limited by your video card than cpu.... If I were you I'd ride out your current system until later in the year and then upgrade to a fancy new card (Vega or Volta, whenever that comes). Imo.

Magwik

Banned
You're more limited by your video card than cpu.... If I were you I'd ride out your current system until later in the year and then upgrade to a fancy new card (Vega or Volta, whenever that comes). Imo.

True, I really should be prioritizing a new desk and case if anything >.>

Jacqli

I need a hand, I was thinking of upgrading my computer in Summer (birthday excuse!), but I am not sure what I should upgrade and what I can keep (the more I can keep, the better). I don't care about playing in the highest setting, but I do not want this feeling of "this might not work on my PC" that I am having lately.
And also, this would be my first upgrade: Will I have to format my computer? I don't really want to lose some configurations and programs that I already have (I use an SSD only for the OS).

My specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4,0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1866 8GB 2x4 CL9
CASE: Thermaltake Commander MS-I
POWER SUPPLY: FSP Raider 650W
GRAPHICS: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Dual-X 3GB GDDR5
HEATSINK: Raijintek Themis EVO

dcx4610

So I built my first rig, this weekend!

Went with i7-7700k and EVGA 1070 FTW

Thankfully everything seems to be working ok, but I do have a question about temps. Im using a mid size tower with only 1 intake case fan at the front, for the moment. For the cpu cooling im using the Cryorig H7 fan and temps hanging around 40-50c while messing around in the BIOS. Are those temps looking ok for now? I am planning on adding an exhaust fan in the back of case for better air flow.

Seems about right but wait... you only have one fan in the entire case? If you only have an intake fan, there's nowhere for the air to go. You need an exhaust.

b0bbyJ03

For those that have delidded CPUs in the past, did you have to reapply the thermal paste every few years? I used Cool lab liquid pro and from what I read some people say they never had to reapply, but others say that you do.

Bloodember

I need a hand, I was thinking of upgrading my computer in Summer (birthday excuse!), but I am not sure what I should upgrade and what I can keep (the more I can keep, the better). I don't care about playing in the highest setting, but I do not want this feeling of "this might not work on my PC" that I am having lately.
And also, this would be my first upgrade: Will I have to format my computer? I don't really want to lose some configurations and programs that I already have (I use an SSD only for the OS).

My specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4,0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1866 8GB 2x4 CL9
CASE: Thermaltake Commander MS-I
POWER SUPPLY: FSP Raider 650W
GRAPHICS: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Dual-X 3GB GDDR5
HEATSINK: Raijintek Themis EVO
Cpu, ram, motherboard and a new heat sink would be my first upgrade. Then upgrade the gpu at a later date if you need to wait on something. Not sure about the case, if you like it keep it. If your psu is more than 5 years old replace that as well.

dcx4610

For those that have delidded CPUs in the past, did you have to reapply the thermal paste every few years? I used Cool lab liquid pro and from what I read some people say they never had to reapply, but others say that you do.

As long as you do it right the first time, you shouldn't really need to reapply. The compound bonds with the CPU and heatsink. Unless you use poor quality compound or you start having trouble with overheating or bad temps, it should last you the life of the CPU.

If you remove the heatsink for any reason, you do need to clean it and apply new paste however to create a new thermal layer.

ISee

Not with liquid metal, but with normal thermal paste.

b0bbyJ03

As long as you do it right the first time, you shouldn't really need to reapply. The compound bonds with the CPU and heatsink. Unless you use poor quality compound or you start having trouble with overheating or bad temps, it should last you the life of the CPU.

If you remove the heatsink for any reason, you do need to clean it and apply new paste however to create a new thermal layer.

Thanks for your answer. This is perfect cause I was meticulous and did a shit ton of research before I did it. So hopefully I'll be good. I don't plan on removing the heat sink and my temps have been excellent since the 2 months I did it.

Not with liquid metal, but with normal thermal paste.

Awesome. thanks.

EL CUCO

Seems about right but wait... you only have one fan in the entire case? If you only have an intake fan, there's nowhere for the air to go. You need an exhaust.
Yup. Only the 1 fan the case came with. Just bought a second one on Amazon to put in the back

Thanks!

Magwik

Banned
Wait, you don't have an SSD already? Go get one asap!
Yeah that I can't budge on as my HDD has been failing for a while now, just haven't had the budget until recently. My issue is I don't know if I should get a smaller SSD just for Windows, or get a 500GB and combine that with a larger HDD/SSHD. Are hybrid drives even worth it?

dcx4610

Yup. Only the 1 fan the case came with. Just bought a second one on Amazon to put in the back

Thanks!

Wow. I'd almost say that's negligent to whomever made that case. You're taking air into the case and then it just sits inside like an oven.

When you get the rear fan, make sure align the fan to blow out the back.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Looking to grab a proper cooler for a 4690k on an ASRock Z97M motherboard, in a Silverstone PSO8 case- the case only accepts up to 140mm coolers according to its specs and it doesn't look like a Hyper 212 would fit in even if I wanted to risk it; what are my options? Don't care about sound too much, but got a 960 EVGA GPU and a 650 watt power supply in case wattage could be an issue.

dcx4610

Looking to grab a proper cooler for a 4690k on an ASRock Z97M motherboard, in a Silverstone PSO8 case- the case only accepts up to 140mm coolers according to its specs and it doesn't look like a Hyper 212 would fit in even if I wanted to risk it; what are my options? Don't care about sound too much, but got a 960 EVGA GPU and a 650 watt power supply in case wattage could be an issue.

You might want to look into the Zalman CNPS9500A. It's a lot smaller and one of the trusty standbys like the Hyper 212.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
You might want to look into the Zalman CNPS9500A. It's a lot smaller and one of the trusty standbys like the Hyper 212.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223

Thanks, that looks pretty good. It doesn't say it does Socket 1150 though, not sure if there's a big difference between that and the other intel sockets for coolers?

Also does anyone know of a site in the UK that sells it? Everything I've found has looked a little dodgy.

egruntz

shelaughz
Hi Guys,

Read as much as I could understand in the OP. I'm afraid I'm just a novice to this stuff, and I don't understand most of the differences between the specs/parts/builds. In any case, my laptop of 4+ years is dying out, and I think it's time for me to build a beast PC. Can you please offer your advice and point me in the right direction? :)

Budget: $2K, USA
Main Use:
Light Gaming [5]
Gaming [5]
Emulation (PS2/Wii/Wii U) [1]
Video Editing [5]
Streaming games in HD [5]
3D/Model work [2]
General Usage. [5]​
Monitor Resolution: I've been used to 16:9 1080p but might be tempted to upgrade later. Haven't been exposed to 4K yet, but it's not out of the question. I need two new monitors.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Looking to start streaming—would like to be able to stream any game at a smooth enough rate.
When will you build?: Looking to build by before July 21 so I can stream Splatoon 2.
Overclock/GSYNC/PhysX: I'm ashamed I have no idea what this stuff means. ;_;​

I'm fortunate that I have a buddy who can help me assemble the build—he's done it for years. I'll continue to do what research I can on the different parts; just looking for a general starting point. I've heard SSD is a must—never had one before, so I'll certainly want to make that upgrade at least.

Thanks for any advice!

I think going the budget build for $400-$500 is the better option rather than upgrading your current build. You also get a chance to upgrade down the line even more if you are inclined without starting completely over.

Here's a great budget build I made back in November. I'm lucky enough to live near a Micro Center for the CPU/motherboard discounts and fairly patient with my deal hunting. I'm not going to say you will definitely find deals like these right now, but it's definitely possible if you know when and where to look. Prices listed are exactly the price I paid for it, plus or minus a few tweaks to include coupon discounts. This was also back when Skylake was still the newest line of CPUs, before Kaby Lake and Ryzen, and RAM prices were not ridiculous. I even managed to squeeze in a decent, budget SSD and still managed just under $500. I could have even managed to save a few extra dollars by downgrading the power supply or graphics card, etc. but I was fairly happy with the build.

This build allowed me to easily play Blizzard games, and Skyrim is old enough that this build would run it very well.

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $108.74)
Motherboard: Asus - H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $30.48)
Memory: Avexir - Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $36.99)
Storage: ADATA - Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $53.99)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $46.81)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card (Purchased For $134.99)
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $34.99)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $49.99)
Total: $496.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-30 09:01 EDT-0400

Wow! Thanks for posting this.

robin2

How do I downclock my gpu using MSI afterburner?
It's a factory-overclocked MSI geforce 1050Ti (link), I want to bring it down to its standard clock.

(This is because I don't have AC in my room and the air temperature easily sits above 35 during summer -- currently it's 32 and it's a end-of-May evening).

Thanks

Hello,

I have a question regarding my CPU. I currently have a AMD FX 8350, OC'd to 4.5GHz with a GTX 1070. I feel like my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU in many cases. I don't want to spend a lot. Is there any budget-friendly upgrade path for me to squeeze a bit more out of my system? Also, if you think I'm fine, that works too.

Branson

These new CPUs have really messed up my plans. I don't currently have a PC so I was going to splurge this week or next and was going for a 7700k and a 1080ti. Welp. Might as well wait forever.

Magwik

Banned
These new CPUs have really messed up my plans. I don't currently have a PC so I was going to splurge this week or next and was going for a 7700k and a 1080ti. Welp. Might as well wait forever.

To be fair a 7700k and 1080ti and still fucking great options. Hell you're probably better off not having to buy a board with the stupid new socket type.

Bloodember

Hi Guys,

Read as much as I could understand in the OP. I'm afraid I'm just a novice to this stuff, and I don't understand most of the differences between the specs/parts/builds. In any case, my laptop of 4+ years is dying out, and I think it's time for me to build a beast PC. Can you please offer your advice and point me in the right direction? :)

Budget: $2K, USA
Main Use:
Light Gaming [5]
Gaming [5]
Emulation (PS2/Wii/Wii U) [1]
Video Editing [5]
Streaming games in HD [5]
3D/Model work [2]
General Usage. [5]​
Monitor Resolution: I've been used to 16:9 1080p but might be tempted to upgrade later. Haven't been exposed to 4K yet, but it's not out of the question. I need two new monitors.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Looking to start streaming—would like to be able to stream any game at a smooth enough rate.
When will you build?: Looking to build by before July 21 so I can stream Splatoon 2.
Overclock/GSYNC/PhysX: I'm ashamed I have no idea what this stuff means. ;_;​

I'm fortunate that I have a buddy who can help me assemble the build—he's done it for years. I'll continue to do what research I can on the different parts; just looking for a general starting point. I've heard SSD is a must—never had one before, so I'll certainly want to make that upgrade at least.

Thanks for any advice!

Here's something I put together for you. The case is just a stand in as that is of personal preference. You can get Windows from here for $20.
You still have $767.90 for 2 monitors and a keyboard and mouse, as I feel those are of personal preference as well.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($245.98 @ PCM)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Shadow Rock Slim 67.8 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($114.30 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($149.94 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba - P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card ($383.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1232.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-30 16:25 EDT-0400

NEO0MJ

Same here.Volta talk doesn't help, either. But at the same time, I feel I have been waiting for the perfect parts for god knows how long. I feel I have to get it over with.

Branson

Same here.Volta talk doesn't help, either. But at the same time, I feel I have been waiting for the perfect parts for god knows how long. I feel I have to get it over with.
I guess I could always play some console games and just wait a bit but god damn lol.

Need a little bit of advice as I'm completely stumped and don't want to spend bits and bobs of money if I don't have to. (might aswell wait and just get a new monitor instead of putting £5 down here and there...)

I've basically begged for the current PC Screen I've got.
And I've scrounged for the GPU I've got.

I intend to replace both eventually - but for now - I'm skint.

My 6970 GPU has HDMI, 2x DisplayPort, & 2 x DVI-I connections
The onboard GPU has VGA & DVI-D Dual Link
The monitor (ilyama Prolite 2008HDS) has VGA and DVI-D Dual Link

I currently have a DVI-D Single Link cable.

The monitor works if you connect a VGA to VGA
HDMI to HDMI (tried on big tv downstairs)

Trying to connect DVI - DVI with the current cable however does now work from onboard or the GPU. The cable I've acquired is effectively brand new.

Could this be a cable connectors issue?
Or could my GPU sockets for that/or on the monitor be dead?

I was toying with a HDMI-DVI converter as I know the HDMI works, but then thought ...will I need a new cable... lol

TYIA

Bloodember

Need a little bit of advice as I'm completely stumped and don't want to spend bits and bobs of money if I don't have to. (might aswell wait and just get a new monitor instead of putting £5 down here and there...)

I've basically begged for the current PC Screen I've got.
And I've scrounged for the GPU I've got.

I intend to replace both eventually - but for now - I'm skint.

My 6970 GPU has HDMI, 2x DisplayPort, & 2 x DVI-I connections
The onboard GPU has VGA & DVI-D Dual Link
The monitor (ilyama Prolite 2008HDS) has VGA and DVI-D Dual Link

I currently have a DVI-D Single Link cable.

The monitor works if you connect a VGA to VGA
HDMI to HDMI (tried on big tv downstairs)

Trying to connect DVI - DVI with the current cable however does now work from onboard or the GPU. The cable I've acquired is effectively brand new.

Could this be a cable connectors issue?
Or could my GPU sockets for that/or on the monitor be dead?

TYIA

You need a DVI-D dual link cable, yours is a single link cable.

NEO0MJ

I guess I could always play some console games and just wait a bit but god damn lol.

I've been doing that for more than a year, lol. I'll see what comes out of Computex. If the new CPUs and MBs arrive soon enough I might wait. If not then fuck it, I'm going to just build something during the weekend. It's not like they'll turn to dust when the new parts arrive.

Well the mouse suggestion is easy. Get the Logitech g403 wireless. I just got that one myself and it works just as good in games as my old wired mouse (Steelseries Rival).

Awesome!!! thanks for the suggestion.

I will probably just grab a decent Blue Tooth Keyboard for now and go from there.

EDIT: Just realized that mouse is not blue tooth.

Looking at the Logitech MX Master

Branson

I've been doing that for more than a year, lol. I'll see what comes out of Computex. If the new CPUs and MBs arrive soon enough I might wait. If not then fuck it, I'm going to just build something during the weekend. It's not like they'll turn to dust when the new parts arrive.
That's true. And I was looking up benchmarks and I didn't realize that a 1080ti and 7700k can run GTA5 on very high at 4k at like 100fps which was crazy to me. Sigh.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just moved to a new house, and my PC is now by the corner of the room. Combined with the fact that this house is a lot quieter, and my once quiet PC is suddenly loud as hell.

Stuck with a Gigabyte GTX 1070, but whatever, I can live with a bit of load when gaming. I want to at least minimize my idle dB.

So, I've got a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX.

200mm front intake
140mm rear exhaust
2x 140mm Corsair H115i radiator

The Corsair fans have to go. They're loud as hell. Might as well replace the exhaust as well. Do I need to worry about static pressure for the rad? Any recommendations for the very quietest fans around? (I'll take Noctua as a recommendation, but black or white fans would be nice).

The 200mm fan is going to be trickier. The Phanteks is really loud, as it doesn't allow you to go below 600RPM, which is too much for such a big fan.

What's a good place to buy cheap used LGA 1155 Micro ATX motherboards? I'm trying to find some on ebay, but there's so many cheap Dell LGA 1155 Micro ATX, but can't buy those due to it have proprietary connections. The Asus and other brands similar are $50+

aka_bueno

Anyone have any advise on a low profile QUIET heatsink for my i7 6700?

I have a mITX case, Silverstone SG13 and have been running the stock heat sink with my i7 6700 since it's the non-k version so it's stock and not overclockable.

But, it's loud! Every time the fans spin up it's like a mini jet engine in there. Anything recommended as an alternatives that will fit in this small (and I mean small) case?

Top Bottom