• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Izuna

Banned
Is the M.2 SATA SSD there because it's the cheapest? Don't pay extra money for SATA M.2 thinking it is better than a regular SATA SSD.

Short of telling you that moderate overclocking will be very easy and say that the 1070 is more than capable of what you want to use it for (though it is good to future proof your stuff), it looks pretty good.

Hello! Also 100% new to this. Mainly wanted to get a computer that can handle game development/art tools perfectly well (some 3D Modeling, Photoshop, various game engine stuff of course.) Having it work well for gaming/streaming purposes would be awesome too of course.

I have quite a large budget for this set aside due to some great circumstances so I wanted to reach for the stars and get the best possible.

It's my first and all, but I have a ~$4-5000 budget for this (and I'm aware that's rather excessive lol) If there's anything in particular I want to run well, it's Overwatch but I'm willing to put down for a PC that can handle really anything on high-ultra settings at a good framerate/resolution. Considering VR gaming as well but that's more of a "if it works then sure" kind of thing for me.

These are the parts a friend of mine put together with my conditions in mind and I wanted to clarify and see if this is suitable for what I'm looking for. Feel free to offer suggestions/advice since, again, I'm completely new to this.

I already saw that this gave a compatibility warning so I wanted to see if that's something I need to worry about or not as well. Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-6900K 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor ($742.50 @ Jet)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($87.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-X99-Phoenix SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($241.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ Jet)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founder Edition Video Card ($687.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair - 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($132.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell - S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($399.00 @ Adorama)
Total: $3397.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-31 21:19 EDT-0400

PS: as for the monitor listed, I could especially use suggestions for that since I really don't know if that kind of quality (... and price) is necessary? The ASUS VG248QE 24" monitor has my eye but I wanna know if getting a monitor like that will do a PC that I'm trying to build justice.

Hello! Also 100% new to this. Mainly wanted to get a computer that can handle game development/art tools perfectly well (some 3D Modeling, Photoshop, various game engine stuff of course.) Having it work well for gaming/streaming purposes would be awesome too of course.

I have quite a large budget for this set aside due to some great circumstances so I wanted to reach for the stars and get the best possible.

It's my first and all, but I have a ~$4-5000 budget for this (and I'm aware that's rather excessive lol) If there's anything in particular I want to run well, it's Overwatch but I'm willing to put down for a PC that can handle really anything on high-ultra settings at a good framerate/resolution. Considering VR gaming as well but that's more of a "if it works then sure" kind of thing for me.

These are the parts a friend of mine put together with my conditions in mind and I wanted to clarify and see if this is suitable for what I'm looking for. Feel free to offer suggestions/advice since, again, I'm completely new to this.

I already saw that this gave a compatibility warning so I wanted to see if that's something I need to worry about or not as well. Thanks!

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-X99-Phoenix SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($241.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founder Edition Video Card ($687.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)

PS: as for the monitor listed, I could especially use suggestions for that since I really don't know if that kind of quality (... and price) is necessary? The ASUS VG248QE 24" monitor has my eye but I wanna know if getting a monitor like that will do a PC that I'm trying to build justice.

X299 was just announced. If you can wait a month I definitely would (I believe that is when the parts are shipping? don't quote me 100% on that though).

Otherwise, I would get faster ram, get an AIB 1080 Ti instead of founders, a cheaper PSU (that is way overkill), windows home for much cheaper (do you need pro?) and a better/bigger monitor.

I'd also be inclined to throw a 1TB ssd (850 evo ish) in there, though I don't know what your needs are on that front (what with the 6TB hdd).

I think the 750D is a pretty big case, do you want something that large? I'm partial to Phanteks and Fractal Designs myself.

Arex

You may want to wait a bit for the x299 platform that just got announced. Maybe get the $999 10c i9 7900x instead.

Also looking at your usage, you can definitely use an ultrawide or dual monitors, if you don't have a Cintiq or something similar already. Especially 3D works and game engine stuff, would be very useful to have the space for them multiple windows.

And if you like to have loads of softwares on simultaneously (Maya, zbrush, photoshop, and 2 UE4 windows, for example, plus internet n other stuff haha) 32 gigs of RAM might not be enough. If your budget allows, get 64 (4x16) gigs :)

Extra ssd for scratch disk/softwares may be useful too.

rtcn63

You could easily get away with a 550-750W PSU. A 1080ti has a total system pull (gaming) of ~400W.

2133mhz is on the low side, but for your production needs I can't say for sure if you're better off with more ram or faster ram. (Both together would probably be a safe bet though)

Don't get a Founder's Edition unless you're okay with lots of fan noise and/or performance throttling. The slightly more expensive Asus Strix, MSI Gaming X, or EVGA SC2 models are better choices for "living with".

It's been years since I cared that much. I'm assuming my 3770k at 4.8GHz and 16GB of RAM is still fine for the 1080ti I just picked up? Is there any compelling reason to upgrade?

rtcn63

It's been years since I cared that much. I'm assuming my 3770k at 4.8GHz and 16GB of RAM is still fine for the 1080ti I just picked up? Is there any compelling reason to upgrade?

Not really. If you have an i7K from the last few years, you're set for 60fps for most games. In the more CPU-demanding titles, you might have to drop a few settings to medium... might.

It's that time again. My five and a half year old rig is finally starting to have a hard time running anything somewhat new up to reasonable standards so it's time for a new one. I'm going to give my old PC to my fiancee who only will use it as a work PC for our home so it's time for all new goodies! :D

This is where I'm at thus far. I was considering an AMD Ryzen build, but after doing the research it seems Intel is probably the way to go. While I'd like to try my hand at streaming, most of what I do on my PC is gaming, after that recording and mixing audio for work, and writing invoices. I'm planning to buy a second 1080ti after the summer when I have a little more money, so I picked a PSU that should do the trick. I have two storage hard drives that are going to come out of the old machine, and I'm buying a monitor for 1440p gaming. On top of that I probably am going to take my sound card out and reuse it as the old PC has on board audio that is actually pretty good.

Anyway, hope to hear some thoughts/suggestions. It's a work in progress but I wanna jump on this and order everything in the next day or two. My budget is around $2000 but I'll spend a little more if it makes sense.

Advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nr3RXH

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.69 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ Corsair)
Motherboard: Asus - MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($135.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: PNY - CS1311 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card ($729.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($135.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1976.31

It's that time again. My five and a half year old rig is finally starting to have a hard time running anything somewhat new up to reasonable standards so it's time for a new one. I'm going to give my old PC to my fiancee who only will use it as a work PC for our home so it's time for all new goodies! :D

This is where I'm at thus far. I was considering an AMD Ryzen build, but after doing the research it seems Intel is probably the way to go. While I'd like to try my hand at streaming, most of what I do on my PC is gaming, after that recording and mixing audio for work, and writing invoices. I'm planning to buy a second 1080ti after the summer when I have a little more money, so I picked a PSU that should do the trick. I have two storage hard drives that are going to come out of the old machine, and I'm buying a monitor for 1440p gaming. On top of that I probably am going to take my sound card out and reuse it as the old PC has on board audio that is actually pretty good.

Anyway, hope to hear some thoughts/suggestions. It's a work in progress but I wanna jump on this and order everything in the next day or two. My budget is around $2000 but I'll spend a little more if it makes sense.

Advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nr3RXH

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.69 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ Corsair)
Motherboard: Asus - MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($135.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: PNY - CS1311 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card ($729.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($135.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1976.31

At that budget I would probably go X299... just a thought.

Bloodember

Hi there, first time to PC Building. Trying to get out of console gaming as my main form of gaming, and I want to stop using my old laptop, as it's meant for workstation processes, not for gaming.

For baby's first PC, my budget is around ~$1200 (USA), though I can go up or down a few hundred if necessary. It'll mostly be used to play 6 month old games around high-ultra settings, though the most important thing is a consistent 1080p, 60 fps. I'm also hoping to be able to stream low impact games like League of Legends at a consistent 60 if possible. Some Autodesk usage will be added at some point as well. No plans to overclock right now, maybe if I get more knowledge about it in the future.

Feel free to add any thoughts and suggestions, perhaps either to get the price down or to add efficiency. Thanks :^)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($239.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Jet)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($107.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($393.89 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.69 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1339.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-31 20:06 EDT-0400

Everything looks good, except for the cooler, change that to the Cryorig H7. You can also get a windows key from play-asia.com for $20. Also, do you really need an optical drive? You'd be surprised by how you don't ever use it.

Drain You

Stopped using my desktop a year or two ago. I've got an i5 ( Can't remember which exactly ) 8gb ram, and an AMD 7850 2gb card. I only play on 1080p, is it safe to say I could just upgrade my graphics card and be set to go? Not looking for extremely high settings, as long as I can maintain atleast 30fps I'm happy. I would much prefer 60fps but I'll take what I can get.

Bloodember

Stopped using my desktop a year or two ago. I've got an i5 ( Can't remember which exactly ) 8gb ram, and an AMD 7850 2gb card. I only play on 1080p, is it safe to say I could just upgrade my graphics card and be set to go? Not looking for extremely high settings, as long as I can maintain atleast 30fps I'm happy. I would much prefer 60fps but I'll take what I can get.

What's the actual CPU?

Ever

Banned
Is the M.2 SATA SSD there because it's the cheapest? Don't pay extra money for SATA M.2 thinking it is better than a regular SATA SSD.

Short of telling you that moderate overclocking will be very easy and say that the 1070 is more than capable of what you want to use it for (though it is good to future proof your stuff), it looks pretty good.

Thanks, I'll see what I can find of the regular SATA SSD's but I'm not sure if there's a meaningful performance difference that's worth the extra money. Will def have to do some research on that end.

Everything looks good, except for the cooler, change that to the Cryorig H7. You can also get a windows key from play-asia.com for $20. Also, do you really need an optical drive? You'd be surprised by how you don't ever use it.

Thanks for the suggestion. That windows key, do you know how it works? Will I be able to use Windows fine down the line? I've heard those cheap keys are usually OEM keys, and while I'm not the most upstanding guy, I just want to know if there might be any issues down the line.

As far as the drive goes. It's only $20, what's the harm. It'd be annoying to need an optical drive one day and not have one in my rig.

Bloodember

Thanks, I'll see what I can find of the regular SATA SSD's but I'm not sure if there's a meaningful performance difference that's worth the extra money. Will def have to do some research on that end.

Thanks for the suggestion. That windows key, do you know how it works? Will I be able to use Windows fine down the line? I've heard those cheap keys are usually OEM keys, and while I'm not the most upstanding guy, I just want to know if there might be any issues down the line.

As far as the drive goes. It's only $20, what's the harm. It'd be annoying to need an optical drive one day and not have one in my rig.

Using an M.2 you get rid of the wires. As for performance gains? Not in day to day operations, if they're the same price or close I'd go with the M.2. If you think you need the optical drive get it, I just have an external drive I use maybe once a year. As far as I know the windows keys from play-asia are legit and you shouldn't have to worry.

rezn0r

look, I typed this into the Intel/i9 announcement thread and immediately felt like a dickweed and edited it out. I'm going to paste it here. Thanks in advance.

Throw your thoughts at me, I welcome all of them.

I'm on an i7-950/680GTX that I've been itching to upgrade for awhile now. I'm buying a 1080 Ti, and thought I was set on a 7700K - do I wait a month or so (?) and get a 7740X, or do I wait for Coffee Lake?

I'm heavily invested in playing games, but I've also been playing most things on consoles for a few years now. I built my current system to play FFXIV when it first came out/was coming out again. I seriously love both console & PC gaming - I have a PS4 Pro on an OLED TV, I might've masturbated to Horizon, etc. I am not a master race guy, I'm also definitely not a console only guy.

I keep seeing doods like Coulomb_Barrier showing up and defending the shit out of AMD & caring about more cores in new CPUs (this isn't an insult, Coulomb). As I said I haven't been the most hardcore PC gamer lately but I am definitely interested in returning to it as a primary platform - what is playable right now besides BF1 & Watch Dogs 2 that uses multiple cores? (triple-A games I'm saying). Is it realistic that 6, 8+ will be useful in the next few(4?) years when it comes to only caring about gaming? Are there a ton of other big games now that make use of it? I'm not trying to start arguments, I'm just trying to understand some of the arguments out there. I appreciate any and all comments.

I was ready to build an i7-7700K & 1080 Ti inside a sexy Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV MATX TEMPERED case. If anyone cares to offer input, tell me why I should or shouldn't hold off for the i7-7740X (or further).

Thank you!

Kaelan

Hey all: looking to get into pc gaming and eventually begin trying to build something powerful. I wanna go all out in a sense, and have something that can run the high-end PC games. I've read through the first page of this thread and figured that checking out https://pcpartpicker.com/ for builds would be a good start. Anyone know some decent builds on pcpartpicker that match my criteria?

Hey all: looking to get into pc gaming and eventually begin trying to build something powerful. I wanna go all out in a sense, and have something that can run the high-end PC games. I've read through the first page of this thread and figured that checking out https://pcpartpicker.com/ for builds would be a good start. Anyone know some decent builds on pcpartpicker that match my criteria?

On your fist time, if you are not too confident on choosing the parts from pcpartpicker from scratch, better than to choose from the builds there is to look at the lists other have come up in the last few pages and see which ones lie around your budget. You can trace back why they decided on those parts and the recommendations of others. Then you change a few things to your liking, but you started from something that someone already polished and found it was good for them.

Kaelan

On your fist time, if you are not too confident on choosing the parts from pcpartpicker from scratch, better than to choose from the builds there is to look at the lists other have come up in the last few pages and see which ones lie around your budget. You can trace back why they decided on those parts and the recommendations of others. Then you change a few things to your liking, but you started from something that someone already polished and found it was good for them.

True, it seems like putting the parts together isn't too difficult but I'd probably need to watch a video while I do it. Wouldn't wanna mess anything up. Do you guys know some good youtube videos on just putting the parts together? Also: should I bother going in for a 4k build that can run games at 4k, or instead just a max/1080p build

Couple of questions for the experts because I have been out of the building game for a while. Is the 3570K still a good processor? I also have a 970 and was thinking of upgrading to 1070, and I game on my TV at 1080p. Does the upgrade make sense or should I get a new CPU as well?

ISee

Couple of questions for the experts because I have been out of the building game for a while. Is the 3570K still a good processor? I also have a 970 and was thinking of upgrading to 1070, and I game on my TV at 1080p. Does the upgrade make sense or should I get a new CPU as well?

It isn't bad, especially overclocked. But you will run into CPU bottlenecks in some games like witcher 3, gta v, just cause 3, watch dogs 2 etc. This will result in drops below 60 fps, even when paired with a 1070. Personally I would start thinking about moving on from it. But it isn't a must do right now. Many games will perform fine. Coffee lake is supposed to come out in ~6 months. not the 6c+ mainstream Intel cpu many are waiting for, but it should be more performant than kabylake (plus 30% according to Intel, but 10-15% may be more realistic becausr Coffee lake is still based on skylake).

Long story short. Both waiting and upgrading are valid options for you.

nkarafo

Hey PC GAF

I need to upgrade my RAM. I already have 16GB but i want some extra RAM to use as RAMdisk. I don't need too much, 4GB are enough, but i found a good deal of a 8GB (2x4) kit.

My question is, will these new memory modules work in harmony with the ones i have, without loosing any speed or the Dual DDR feature?

The ones i already have in my system are:

Kingston HyperX Beast 16 GB Kit (2x8 GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL9 (KHX1600C9D3/8GX)

The new ones i want to add are:

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)

Are these modules going to work well with the ones i have? My motherboard has 4 slots (2 + 2). Should i go with the purchase?

Thanks.

kmfdmpig

The M.2 is really just how the drive connects. There are PCI based ones, and NVMe that can be much faster than SATA SSD drives (4-5 times read and write speeds). Whether that makes a real world difference for you will depend as the SATA SSDs are already very fast.
Personally, I grabbed two SATA SSDs on sale last week and will hold off on an M.2 NVMe until it's cheaper in larger sizes. Once it is I'll make it my OS/Office/Chrome drive.

Izuna

Banned
^^^

M.2 is just a connector like USB. It doesn't mean you get NVMe speeds.

And outside of very specific configurations, the wiring in your computer doesn't affect your cooling solution.

Drakhoran

Neo Member
Speaking of M.2 drives, can anyone tell me why we use those in desktop systems? I can understand the appeal for notebooks where space is at a premium and the small form factor of M.2 would be a big draw.

For desktops however it seems to me that U.2 would be better. It's got the same NVMe speed as M.2, but since you don't need to fit the entire U.2 drive into a space the size of a stick of gum, thermal throttling should be a much smaller problem. Even if heat does become a problem a U.2 drive can be cooled the same way we have cooled hard disks since the 90's: stick 'em in a drive cage behind the intake fan. No need for "heat shields" or other dubious measures.

egruntz

shelaughz
So I want G-Sync, but all the monitors that are compatible with it look like ass. Why do so many of these monitors have to have that "gamer" aesthetic with the green and red streaks. It's gaudy IMO and I wish it didn't obstruct me from using them, but it does lol.

FreeSync apparently has hundreds of more monitors to choose from due to not being proprietary... There are some nice ones with sleek and minimal designs too.

Give it to me straight, GAF. Is FreeSync the same as G-Sync? A knockoff?

see5harp

So I want G-Sync, but all the monitors that are compatible with it look like ass. Why do so many of these monitors have to have that "gamer" aesthetic with the green and red streaks. It's gaudy IMO and I wish it didn't obstruct me from using them, but it does lol.

FreeSync apparently has hundreds of more monitors to choose from due to not being proprietary... There are some nice ones with sleek and minimal designs too.

There is a dell monitor that looks like all of their other monitor lineup that is gsync.

Freesync has the same intended function as G-sync, yes. However, it's only compatible with AMD graphics cards. G-sync is for Nvidia, and they keep a much tighter leash on the technology - hence not only are there fewer compatible monitors, they're also generally more expensive. So that pushes them into premium 'gamer' territory, and thus, the usual aesthetic.

Bloodember

Gsync is for Nvidia cards and freesync is for AMD cards. They pretty much do the same thing just amd doesn't charge a licensing fee to use it.

egruntz

shelaughz
There is a dell monitor that looks like all of their other monitor lineup that is gsync.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

? This one? Not too bad actually.

EDIT: "Not too bad" as in actually pretty good. Very seriously considering this one. Thanks for the mention. TN panel it seems, so not as vivid on colors? But extremely low response time for gaming. Hrmmm....

Freesync has the same intended function as G-sync, yes. However, it's only compatible with AMD graphics cards. G-sync is for Nvidia, and they keep a much tighter leash on the technology - hence not only are there fewer compatible monitors, they're also generally more expensive. So that pushes them into premium 'gamer' territory, and thus, the usual aesthetic.

Gsync is for Nvidia cards and freesync is for AMD cards. They pretty much do the same thing just amd doesn't charge a licensing fee to use it.

Not trying to be dense, but then just to confirm, there's no difference visually or performance-wise between the two? Only benefit of going with G-Sync is if you're more inclined toward NVidia's GPU?

vector824

Hi there, first time to PC Building. Trying to get out of console gaming as my main form of gaming, and I want to stop using my old laptop, as it's meant for workstation processes, not for gaming.

For baby's first PC, my budget is around ~$1200 (USA), though I can go up or down a few hundred if necessary. It'll mostly be used to play 6 month old games around high-ultra settings, though the most important thing is a consistent 1080p, 60 fps. I'm also hoping to be able to stream low impact games like League of Legends at a consistent 60 if possible. Some Autodesk usage will be added at some point as well. No plans to overclock right now, maybe if I get more knowledge about it in the future.

Feel free to add any thoughts and suggestions, perhaps either to get the price down or to add efficiency. Thanks :^)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($107.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($393.89 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1339.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-31 20:06 EDT-0400

Nothing wrong with your build but here's another option. Faster SSD, better CPU cooler, slightly cheaper RAM, the GPU is a step down but will do everything you want it too. Get a windows 10 key from play-asia.com for $20. Pick up a Freesync monitor and you'll be in gaming heaven.

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Shadow Rock 2 51.4 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($46.41 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($120.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1222.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-01 09:14 EDT-0400

NEO0MJ

I really want to buy a built gaming pc

Many places are willing to build the PC for you if you're worried about messing up the build.

And speaking of building, any recommended guides/videos on the subject? Want to have an idea on what I'll need and how difficult it might be as if it seems too much I'll have the place build it for me.

Not trying to be dense, but then just to confirm, there's no difference visually or performance-wise between the two? Only benefit of going with G-Sync is if you're more inclined toward NVidia's GPU?

If I understood it right freesync requires you to have an AMD card while Gsync Nvidia. But because AMD are more willing to share the technology you have more options.

egruntz

shelaughz
If I understood it right freesync requires you to have an AMD card while Gsync Nvidia. But because AMD are more willing to share the technology you have more options.

Thanks. :) So I understand that FreeSync = AMD GPU, and GSync = NVidia GPU. I'm confused if that implies that one is better over the other inherently? Or if there's no difference in performance. Both are equally powerful/effective at the adaptive sync technology, no difference visually etc.?

I'm new to the PC world, so apologies if I'm being frustrating.

NEO0MJ

Thanks. :) So I understand that FreeSync = AMD GPU, and GSync = NVidia GPU. I'm confused if that implies that one is better over the other inherently? Or if there's no difference in performance. Both are equally powerful/effective at the adaptive sync technology, no difference visually etc.?

I'm new to the PC world, so apologies if I'm being frustrating.

There are some differences in performance. Freesync used to be worse before but it caught up and newer monitors with Freesync 2 are supposedly better. Freesync supported monitors are also cheaper. However because Nvidia graphic cards are often favored over AMD you might have to go with Gsync.
What graphic card do you have/plan on buying right now? That's really the deciding factor.

egruntz

shelaughz
There are some differences in performance. Freesync used to be worse before but it caught up and newer monitors with Freesync 2 are supposedly better. Freesync supported monitors are also cheaper. However because Nvidia graphic cards are often favored over AMD you might have to go with Gsync.
What graphic card do you have/plan on buying right now? That's really the deciding factor.

My best friend says he has a spare NVidia GeForce 1080, because he upgraded to 1080TI, so he says I can take his 1080. :) I guess that basically decides for me, huh? Haha. But looking through the monitor choices was pretty limited, so I just wanted to weight options and compare differences. I think I might go for that Dell monitor—looks clean and simple.

My best friend says he has a spare NVidia GeForce 1080, because he upgraded to 1080TI, so he says I can take his 1080. :) I guess that basically decides for me, huh? Haha. But looking through the monitor choices was pretty limited, so I just wanted to weight options and compare differences. I think I might go for that Dell monitor—looks clean and simple.

A free 1080 damn well does decide it.

ZerotypeX

Recently sold my RX480 and was looking for a Nvidia card. Mostly playing low demand games like Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm and using an ultrawide monitor (21:9). Don't think I will invest in VR anytime soon and not looking to do any overclocking or SLI configurations. Would you guys say this would sufficient:

EVGA 1060 SC or MSI Armor ?

Another option would be to hold off until 1070/1080 prices start to dip and just stick with integrated graphics (i7 6700k) for now?

see5harp

Man I'd be someone's friend for a 1080. A lot of the monitors I'd even be willing to deal with the gamer aesthetic because I'm be mounting to deal with arm and it seems a lot of the silliness is with the bases of monitors. I just don't know if I care enough about frame rate to spend double. I still gotta buy a a 4k television before the end of the year.

Recently sold my RX480 and was looking for a Nvidia card. Mostly playing low demand games like Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm and using an ultrawide monitor (21:9). Don't think I will invest in VR anytime soon and not looking to do any overclocking or SLI configurations. Would you guys say this would sufficient:

EVGA 1060 SC or MSI Armor ?

Another option would be to hold off until 1070/1080 prices start to dip and just stick with integrated graphics (i7 6700k) for now?
Well why did you sell the 480? I wouldn't replace it with a 1060, mostly a sidegrade. Maybe just get a 1070. I assume your ultra wide is 2560x1080?

Was thinking of getting the ASRock AB350M Pro4 AM4 for my mATX build (Ryzen 1700). I plan to OC to about 3.5 GHz if that matters. Anyway, I think the ASRock board only has 1 PWM fan header... which I am not too thrilled with. So, I'm considering getting the MSI B350M AM4. However, I see there are two of these boards, a "regular" one and a "Mortar" one that costs about $15 more.

I cannot tell the difference for the life of me. Can anyone explain what's the difference? It seems like, maybe, the Mortar board is actually rated to accept RAM at 3200 MHz or above where as the "regular" one might work but isn't necessarily meant for it - I plan to get 3200 MHz RAM so that would be an important distinction for me. Also, maybe there are 3 PWM fan headers on the Mortar but only 2 on the regular? Any advice is appreciated.

ZerotypeX

Well why did you sell the 480? I wouldn't replace it with a 1060, mostly a sidegrade. Maybe just get a 1070. I assume your ultra wide is 2560x1080?

Apparently RX 470/480/570/580 are excellent data miners and there is a new thing to mine called E-something. All the retailers are sold out or if they have it available, it is at a premium price right now.

I wanted to try out an Nvidia card since my last 2 builds were AMD. With the extra cash from the sale, seeing if I should put it towards future endeavors or splurge it on a card

Yea, current ultrawide is at 2560 x 1080

--edit--
its called Etherum for those interested

People keep saying this but I geez... I'm really glad I have an optical drive in my desktop. It wasn't expensive at all, and even though I only use it a couple times a year... that's still twice a year when the drive helped me.

It's kind of like buying a flashlight. Yes, the power rarely goes out, but when it does, I'm glad I have a flashlight!

I really want to buy a built gaming pc

Buy all the parts from ncixus, for an extra $50 they'll assemble it for free.

(Alternately, Newegg will do the same thing sans that extra $50, but if something goes wrong you're on your own. If you want a prebuilt, I'd assume you also want the support / single point of contact that goes along with it.)

rtcn63

People keep saying this but I geez... I'm really glad I have an optical drive in my desktop. It wasn't expensive at all, and even though I only use it a couple times a year... that's still twice a year when the drive helped me.

It's kind of like buying a flashlight. Yes, the power rarely goes out, but when it does, I'm glad I have a flashlight!

External USB optical drives are pretty cheap, especially if you only use them every now and then. It's mostly a benefit in that it allows you utilize a smaller PC case, since the first thing designers usually chop off to make them more compact is the optical drive bays.

Top Bottom