• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Drakhoran

Neo Member
Was thinking of getting the ASRock AB350M Pro4 AM4 for my mATX build (Ryzen 1700). I plan to OC to about 3.5 GHz if that matters. Anyway, I think the ASRock board only has 1 PWM fan header... which I am not too thrilled with. So, I'm considering getting the MSI B350M AM4. However, I see there are two of these boards, a "regular" one and a "Mortar" one that costs about $15 more.

I cannot tell the difference for the life of me. Can anyone explain what's the difference? It seems like, maybe, the Mortar board is actually rated to accept RAM at 3200 MHz or above where as the "regular" one might work but isn't necessarily meant for it - I plan to get 3200 MHz RAM so that would be an important distinction for me. Also, maybe there are 3 PWM fan headers on the Mortar but only 2 on the regular? Any advice is appreciated.

Despite the PRO in the name the MSI B350M Gaming PRO is a bit bare bones. The Mortar is a bit more full featured. For instance:

The Pro only has 2 DIMM slots vs 4 for the Mortar.

The Pro only has one PCIe 16x connectors, the Mortar has two. Well, two 16x physical slots. The second one is only 4x speed but MSI claims the board can still support two way Crossfire.

The pro has a Realtek ALC887 audio chipset and three audio jacks, the Mortar has the more advanced Realtek ALC892 chipset with five audio jacks plus an optical S/PDIF Out connector.

There are also other small differences. One worth mentioning since you ditched the Asrock over fan headers: The Mortar has three 4-pin system fan connectors. The Pro has only two.

laxu

Couple of questions for the experts because I have been out of the building game for a while. Is the 3570K still a good processor? I also have a 970 and was thinking of upgrading to 1070, and I game on my TV at 1080p. Does the upgrade make sense or should I get a new CPU as well?

It's fine as long as you overclock it well over 4 GHz. I moved from 3570K @ 4.5 GHz to 6600K @ 4.6 GHz and the biggest differences I saw were when running CPU heavy games in 4K because my 980 Ti sometimes went below 30 fps at that resolution but with the 6600K stayed a solid 30 fps. For 1440p I normally use it wasn't as noticeable as the 3570K ran games just fine at that res.

For 1080p you will be fine. If you want to keep upgrades cheap, buy a used 980 Ti. It performs the same as a 1070, when overclocked is closer to a stock 1080 and runs anything at 1080p and 1440p really well. That should hold you over at least a few years more and then you can grab whatever is good at a time as well as a GPU that is probably twice as powerful as a 1070.

rtcn63

Couple of questions for the experts because I have been out of the building game for a while. Is the 3570K still a good processor? I also have a 970 and was thinking of upgrading to 1070, and I game on my TV at 1080p. Does the upgrade make sense or should I get a new CPU as well?

An OC'd 3570k will be enough for 1080/60fps/high... mostly. In CPU-limited games, you'll be just at the 60fps-average threshold and may need to turn down a few settings.

(I have one at 4.3ghz)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Hey everyone, i'm building a new PC bit by bit in a new Fractal Micro S case (had to go smaller to account for the new apartment and moving in with the girlfriend to save some space for myself) and was looking at this:

GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H LGA1151 Intel Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboard

Coupled with:

Intel Core i5-7500 LGA 1151 7th Gen Core Desktop Processor

I've currently got 24gb of ram in my PC (two 8gb sticks and two 4gb sticks) and a 970 gtx (the GPU will have to wait a couple paychecks so I'm ok with that for now).

I'll be doing gaming on this pc (obviously), but also music production (ableton mostly). Is that motherboard/cpu config going to work out for me or should I look at something else? and down the line I am also thinking of a water cooling solution, but for now I'll probably order a heatsink and extra fans for the case.

thanks.

Thanks for all the answers guys, I think I will wait until the end of the year and look at my upgrade options. I am always scared of overclocking so I don't know why I bought a K CPU, lol.

Kaelan

Many places are willing to build the PC for you if you're worried about messing up the build.

And speaking of building, any recommended guides/videos on the subject? Want to have an idea on what I'll need and how difficult it might be as if it seems too much I'll have the place build it for me.

If I understood it right freesync requires you to have an AMD card while Gsync Nvidia. But because AMD are more willing to share the technology you have more options.

Found a decent video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhX0fOUYd8Q&feature=youtu.be it doesn't seem too difficult, I would most likely watch the video while setting my build up

snack

Having a hard time deciding on a case for my new mid tower ryzen build. Have my eyes on a S340 Elite right now... is there anything else around that price line worth looking at? Thanks.

bomblord1

Banned
Having a hard time deciding on a case for my new mid tower ryzen build. Have my eyes on a S340 Elite right now... is there anything else around that price line worth looking at? Thanks.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv $130
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=Phanteks_Enthoo_Evolv-_-11-854-057-_-Product
11-854-057-V07.jpg
Gorgeous case and won multiple best in class case awards the year it released.

bomblord1

Banned
HELP!
This morning I turned on my PC and it just seems to boot to a black screen. I've hard booted it a few times and still nothing.
Sometimes it will boot to a quick windows logo (which never happens) and then you see some dancing balls going in a circle (like its loading) but nothing happens.

You have a lot of troubleshooting ahead.

Here are some common ones to help you narrow it down.

- Try the PC in a different outlet (if that fixes it your outlet might be bad)

- Turn your PSU off and unplug it from the wall for several seconds and then plug it back in

- Try a different monitor and port on your monitor (if this does it it may be your port and or monitor)

- Try a different video cable (if this works it is the video cable)

- Open the case and tighten all internal power connectors and other connections between components (if this does it something just came loose)

- If you are using a dedicated video card remove the card (from the case) and use the MOBO video out. (if this works your GPU is likely fried or your drivers are corrupt)

- Remove all external devices and try it (if this does it it's an external device)

- Remove all but 1 ramstick and try it (if this does it either one of your ram sticks or ram slots are bad)

- Swap the Ramstick for another one in a different slot and try it (if this does it either one of your ram sticks or ram slots are bad)

- Reset the BIOS manually (if your mobo has a button for it use that otherwise unplug it and pull the BIOS battery, wait a few seconds, and then put it back in).

Dave_6

I keep going back and forth between that one and the S340 Elite. One huge turn off with the S340 is how the front panel attaches. It uses these cheap looking plastic clips that look like they would wear out quickly after cleaning the dust filter a few times.

They're the same clips on the H440. They're pretty solid. I remove that panel all the damn time. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Magwik

Banned
I'd be wary of the S340 line. The actual material of the case is pretty shit and I have to replace mine I bought in March soon as the top bent, making it near impossible to take off and put the side panel back on.

The G403?

Hmmm. Does it have to be? It comes with it's own USB dongle. Plug it into a USB slot and you have a wireless mouse.

I was hoping to have it be blue tooth because I don't have many blue tooth devices where I have many RF devices. Figured less competition for signal would be a good thing, no?

Bloodember

I'd be wary of the S340 line. The actual material of the case is pretty shit and I have to replace mine I bought in March soon as the top bent, making it near impossible to take off and put the side panel back on.
Contact NZXT customer support they'll get you a new one at little to no cost. I scratched the window on my Manta and they send me a whole new door for the cost of shipping.

An OC'd 3570k will be enough for 1080/60fps/high... mostly. In CPU-limited games, you'll be just at the 60fps-average threshold and may need to turn down a few settings.

(I have one at 4.3ghz)

How long would a 3570k @ 4.2ghz for 1440p ultra 60fps be viable?

Right now I can max almost every game I want paired with a 980ti

rtcn63

Resolution is much more GPU-limited, so barring heavily CPU-limited games (AAA open-world, RTS, etc.), I think you'll be alright. You may even get the same/better FPS over 1080p in some (most?) cases. If I ever get a 1440p monitor, I'd just play on medium settings with my 1060 until I can afford a new GPU.

Is your 980ti OC'd? If not, you should. 900s were made for it.

EDIT: Almost every game has settings that tax the CPU. It would be useful to learn what those are and consider lowering them if you're struggling to hit 60.

bomblord1

Banned

I felt like I was hitting a wall a couple years ago with a stock 3470 on CPU demanding games like GTAV if that's any help. Upping to a 6700k offered a dramatic improvement on higher settings.

Resolution is much more GPU-limited, so barring heavily CPU-limited games (AAA open-world, RTS, etc.), I think you'll be alright. You may even get the same/better FPS over 1080p in some (most?) cases. If I ever get a 1440p monitor, I'd just play on medium settings with my 1060 until I can afford a new GPU.

Is your 980ti OC'd? If not, you should. 900s were made for it.

EDIT: Almost every game has settings that tax the CPU. It would be useful to learn what those are and consider lowering them if you're struggling to hit 60.

My 980ti is the Asus Strix OC'ed one but I haven't futher overclocked it.

The only game I can't always keep 60 fps is Battlegrounds but I feel it's because it is still in an Early Access and not just optimized yet. But so far, every single game I own were flawless including. Doom, Dishonored 3, Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, RE7 (those are the most recent ones)

rtcn63

My 980ti is the Asus Strix OC'ed one but I haven't futher overclocked it.

The only game I can't always keep 60 fps is Battlegrounds but I feel it's because it is still in an Early Access and not just optimized yet. But so far, every single game I own were flawless including. Doom, Dishonored 3, Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, RE7 (those are the most recent ones)

As in the factory OC? Those are generally very conservative, and you can likely go even further. Go look up your exact Asus model and see what other people have achieved with the card using Afterburner (or whatever software).

Caveat: May be a bad idea if your PSU is under 450W.

Branson

Kind of crazy that some games maxed out at 1080p still drop close to below 60 at 1080p on a 1080ti and decent CPU. Thought the Ti was overkill but it doesn't look like it from some of the benchmarks I've watched.

Vee_One

Hi Build Gaf, need some expert advice
I'm helping my daughter build her first pc today, she is buying it (with my help) and money is tight.

I'm currently going with an i3 7100 and a 1050ti

I can stretch to a 1060 or an i5 (+90 AUD) but not both. Which would be better for her?

EDIT: it's for games obviously

rtcn63

Hi Build Gaf, need some expert advice
I'm helping my daughter build her first pc today, she is buying it (with my help) and money is tight.

I'm currently going with an i3 7100 and a 1050ti

I can stretch to a 1060 or an i5 (+90 AUD) but not both. Which would be better for her?

EDIT: it's for games obviously

G4560 + 1060 or i5 + 1050ti. If it's a one and done build, maybe the former. If you don't mind upgrading the GPU in the future, definitely the latter. There are more games that are limited by the GPU than the CPU, but CPU's are much harder to replace after a few years.

To give you an idea of the G4560's performance: http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2913-when-does-the-intel-pentium-g4560-bottleneck-gpu

kmfdmpig

Kind of crazy that some games maxed out at 1080p still drop close to below 60 at 1080p on a 1080ti and decent CPU. Thought the Ti was overkill but it doesn't look like it from some of the benchmarks I've watched.

That's nuts. I had a PC built today, am on 1080p and thougth that the Ti would be good enough for at least a few years of 60FPS / ultra.

Which games is it falling short on?

Vee_One

G4560 + 1060 or i5 + 1050ti. If it's a one and done build, maybe the former. If you don't mind upgrading the GPU in the future, definitely the latter. There are more games that are limited by the GPU than the CPU, but CPU's are much harder to replace after a few years.

To give you an idea of the G4560's performance: http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2913-when-does-the-intel-pentium-g4560-bottleneck-gpu

Yeah, that's what I was thinking re: future proofing
I was going the i3 though because it performs better than G4560? I can still keep the i3 and get the 1060 so it's more a case of i3/1060 or i5/1050ti

Branson

That's nuts. I had a PC built today, am on 1080p and thougth that the Ti would be good enough for at least a few years of 60FPS / ultra.

Which games is it falling short on?
It's getting close to 60 with Wildlands and GTAV. Ac4 is kind of a meh port but it also dipped a little bit. I think some of these were also using 8x msaa which is a bit of overkill I think so you might be able to be ok with settings that shouldn't really be that high.

GTAV in a place with a lot of grass was 45-60 maxed and 8x Msaa.

Despite the PRO in the name the MSI B350M Gaming PRO is a bit bare bones. The Mortar is a bit more full featured. For instance:

The Pro only has 2 DIMM slots vs 4 for the Mortar.

The Pro only has one PCIe 16x connectors, the Mortar has two. Well, two 16x physical slots. The second one is only 4x speed but MSI claims the board can still support two way Crossfire.

The pro has a Realtek ALC887 audio chipset and three audio jacks, the Mortar has the more advanced Realtek ALC892 chipset with five audio jacks plus an optical S/PDIF Out connector.

There are also other small differences. One worth mentioning since you ditched the Asrock over fan headers: The Mortar has three 4-pin system fan connectors. The Pro has only two.

Thank you. Super helpful. I wish Newegg and other websites had easy/well-written comparisons like this. Looks like the Mortar might be my choice now.

rtcn63

Yeah, that's what I was thinking re: future proofing
I was going the i3 though because it performs better than G4560? I can still keep the i3 and get the 1060 so it's more a case of i3/1060 or i5/1050ti

The g4560 basically invalidates the i3's of this generation. ~10% slower than the i3 7100, but at around 2/3rds of the price.

For gaming CPU's you're basically looking at:

Budget: G4560
Mid-range: i5(k) or r5 (as in AMD Ryzen)
High-end: i7-7700k

Kaelan

I was hoping some people could help me put together a build of some sort? I'm looking for a build that can play games up to 1440p at ultra/max settings. Budget right now is looking like 1,300-1,400. I've been looking at a few parts and I definitely want a Intel Core i7 – 700k and I want to go with a power nvidia chip but other then that I'm quite lost.

rtcn63

I was hoping some people could help me put together a build of some sort? I'm looking for a build that can play games up to 1440p at ultra/max settings. Budget right now is looking like 1,300-1,400. I've been looking at a few parts and I definitely want a Intel Core i7 – 700k and I want to go with a power nvidia chip but other then that I'm quite lost.

7700K + 1070 or 1080 (Strix/Gaming X/SC2 aftermarket models) + 2x8GB of 2400-3200mhz RAM (Corsair/G.Skillz) + 550-750W PSU (EVGA/Seasonic/Corsair) + Z270 motherboard (Asus/MSI/Gigabyte/Asrock). And at least a mid-range air cooler (Noctua/Cooler Master/Cryorig/Thermaltake/etc.), the 7700k runs hot.

Vee_One

The g4560 basically invalidates the i3's of this generation. ~10% slower than the i3 7100, but at around 2/3rds of the price.

For gaming CPU's you're basically looking at:

Budget: G4560
Mid-range: i5(k) or r5 (as in AMD Ryzen)
High-end: i7-7700k

Interesting. Well, we're definitely on a budget as it's not my pc :p
I'm hoping she does some stuff with it other than gaming - in that case is it worth sticking with the i3 or no point?

rtcn63

Interesting. Well, we're definitely on a budget as it's not my pc :p
I'm hoping she does some stuff with it other than gaming - in that case is it worth sticking with the i3 or no point?

Unless she's doing production work with stuff like Blender and willing to shell out for the fairly expensive i3 7350k (which in gaming is still only ~10% ahead of the G4560), probably not. the G4560 is not too far off from a stock i5-2500k, which I'm guessing A LOT of people are still using in their main rigs.

Vee_One

Unless she's doing production work with stuff like Blender and willing to shell out for the fairly expensive i3 3750k (which in game is still ~10% ahead of the G4560), probably not. the G4560 is not too far off from a stock i5-2500k, which I'm guessing A LOT of people are still using in their main rigs.

Shit, I'm hoping she uses Word once.
Might be the way to go then.

EDIT: thanks for the input guys/gals

Vee_One

If she uses Chrome a lot, definitely get at least 8GB of ram.

We've got 8gigs lined up

The only thing which I am reall scrimping on is the motherboard to chuck a few more bells and whistles on. She's just turned 13 and this is her "big present" so I don't want to spend too much. She's had a hand me down laptop of mine for a few years and wants a "proper computer"

Trying to find that balance of power and price for her, she doesn't need the best and it's gonna be a pretty awesome gift for her.

Also picked her up Overwatch and Ark so she should be in her element.

EDIT: we live outside a major city so we're gonna make a day trip of it on Saturday and she's going to build it. Should be a good day for both of us.

rtcn63

We've got 8gigs lined up

The only thing which I am reall scrimping on is the motherboard to chuck a few more bells and whistles on. She's just turned 13 and this is her "big present" so I don't want to spend too much. She's had a hand me down laptop of mine for a few years and wants a "proper computer"

Trying to find that balance of power and price for her, she doesn't need the best and it's gonna be a pretty awesome gift for her.

Also picked her up Overwatch and Ark so she should be in her element.

EDIT: we live outside a major city so we're gonna make a day trip of it on Saturday and she's going to build it. Should be a good day for both of us.

You could probably get a motherboard that doesn't have CPU overclocking capability (the Z270 boards are the overclocking ones) unless you plan on putting an i5k in now/later.

As for power supply, you'd be fine with a 400-500W, just make sure it's from a reputable brand like EVGA, Corsair, Seasonic, etc. (A 7700K + 1080ti draws ~400W under gaming load...)

Bloodember

Here's a build for you. I didn't add a keyboard and mouse, it's personal preference. The case is a stand in, as that is personal preference as well. You can get a Windows 10 key from play-asia.com for $20. If you prefer ATX motherboard, just change that out for one. If you want to get close to your max price get a 1080 instead of a 1070, I believe a 1080 is around $500 now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.49 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z270M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($108.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($105.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($149.94 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba - P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card ($373.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $1272.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-01 19:20 EDT-0400

Kaelan

Here's a build for you. I didn't add a keyboard and mouse, it's personal preference. The case is a stand in, as that is personal preference as well. You can get a Windows 10 key from play-asia.com for $20. If you prefer ATX motherboard, just change that out for one. If you want to get close to your max price get a 1080 instead of a 1070, I believe a 1080 is around $500 now.

Thanks man I appreciate you so much! I think I might go for the 1080 I think. I was wondering if I should go for a Ryzen instead of the I7? My friend says it'll be better for future-proof and he predicts games will be become more multi-thread. What do you all think?

rtcn63

My friend says it'll be better for future-proof and he predicts games will be become more multi-thread. What do you all think?

I'd go for the certainty of today- 7700K (you don't even need to overclock it since the gains in gaming are minimal to nonexistent). BUT if you plan on doing production work/streaming/etc., Ryzen might definitely be worth considering.

Thanks man I appreciate you so much! I think I might go for the 1080 I think. I was wondering if I should go for a Ryzen instead of the I7? My friend says it'll be better for future-proof and he predicts games will be become more multi-thread. What do you all think?

this is my take on that

Total: $1358.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-01 20:03 EDT-0400

edit: or a little bit cheaper version

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($239.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.59 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($120.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk - SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($138.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.44 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($498.68 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA - B3 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1335.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-01 20:15 EDT-0400

Either way if you need to add a monitor to the build, then I gone over-budget.

I have a bit of a challenge here if anyone wants to try and solve. I have a travel trailer with a built in dvd/surround sound stereo that I would love to replace with a media centre/emulator (mame, dolphin if possible?).
The problem I have is it would have to fit in a space that's 8"w x 6"h x 9" deep and I want to keep the watts & amps low so I am not blowing fuses every time we go camping.

What it needs to work for me:
Bluray
WiFi
Bluetooth
Hdmi
2+ usb ports
Run emulators (nothing crazy, dolphin at the absolute most).

I know this is shot in the dark but I hate the current unit that is in there and would love to replace it with something we'll find fun & useful.

TheExodu5

Banned
Getting occasional green flashes on one of my monitors (144Hz Asus VG248QE). Bad display port cable? Hoping it's nothing more serious than that.

https://imgur.com/gallery/PnBtF

This port on my MB (a P67 MB) is labeled ATX12V. My old PSU had a plug that fit this shape built into the non-modular cables on the PSU.

My new PSU (SeaSonic M12 İİ Bronze Evo Edition... Holy shit that's a long name) is fully modular and none of the included cables seem to have the right shape to fit this plug. İt has to come with the right cables for this, right? Am i just being obtuse?

Edit: immediately after making this post I found the right cables. I had put it in the pile with cables from my old PSU despite swearing I checked it twice.

https://imgur.com/gallery/PnBtF

This port on my MB (a P67 MB) is labeled ATX12V. My old PSU had a plug that fit this shape built into the non-modular cables on the PSU.

My new PSU (SeaSonic M12 İİ Bronze Evo Edition... Holy shit that's a long name) is fully modular and none of the included cables seem to have the right shape to fit this plug. İt has to come with the right cables for this, right? Am i just being obtuse?

Edit: immediately after making this post I found the right cables. I had put it in the pile with cables from my old PSU despite sweating I checked it twice.

see if any cable is labelled "CPU"

edit: nevermind

KRaZyAmmo

I just got a new pc. But it only has 256GB SSD. I plan on getting a 2TB HDD.
But the cable management might be a problem. (also nervous taking the front panel off of my case NZXT S340).

Do I put the HDD in the shelf or the chassis?

Sorry i don't know if this is the right pc building thread.

Edit: i can try to take a pic real quick if needed. I have one but it's not exactly clear.

Top Bottom