• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Hi PC gaf,

I need a new PC since compiling in Gamemaker takes forever on my current one. I will have to buy everything new since I am on a laptop now that I cannot upgrade any further.

Apart from compiling I also need to be able to capture gameplay video in at least 1080/60 fps in order to make trailers.

Any tips on what I should look for?

Thanks in advance.

And I want to play Vanquish

What's your budget?

Otherwise, I would suggest a ryzen based build. They beat intel for capability in editing and workbenching when roughly aligned on price, while not being so bad on gaming performance that they would bottleneck a GPU.

dcx4610

Wondering if anyone here has had a problem like I'm having with a new build. I just installed:

ASUS z270g
i7 7700k16
16 G g.skill 3200

I tried to use HD from my old build to install windows 10 via a win 10 usb boot drive but when the os install process started it said none of the partitions on the drive were valid and I couldn't create a new partition. A quick Google search made it look like I would have to load into a traditional bios instead of uefi and re-format using cmd line. Instead of doing that I decided to get a new HD to do a fresh install. After installing the new HD the computer will not load to the bios screen or windows installation screen at all. The strange thing is that I believe the computer is getting through post I just can't see anything on my screen at all. I've tried multiple monitors and connection types (hdmi, dvi, display port) and I just can't get anything to show up at all. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks in advance.

Doesn't make sense honestly. A hard drive won't keep you from booting to the BIOS. Does the old hard drive still let you boot up? Will the computer boot without any hard drive connected at all?

You're going to have to take the HD out of the equation to see if something else happened. The PC should at least power on and give you a "No boot device found" error at the BIOS.

Bloodember

Sorry for such a broad question, but here goes.

I have a i7-3770 LGA 1155 chip, 16 GB of DDR3 ram. I also have a GTX 1070 with a GSYNC monitor. Everything runs well, really no complaints. I can play current games at a high framerate with high video quality settings.

But, I have that "What if?" question in the back of my mind. Would I see a big difference if I were to upgrade to a i7-7700? Holding me back is the cost because my motherboard is for a 1155 chip, I would need a new motherboard for a 1151 chip as well as DDR4 RAM. I only have a 500 watt power box, so I may need to upgrade that as well if I made this jump.

You most likely would see a difference, does it make sense financially to you though? Also your 500w psu will work just fine. CPU's and GPU's are less power hungry than they use to be.

jahasaja

What's your budget?

Otherwise, I would suggest a ryzen based build. They beat intel for capability in editing and workbenching when roughly aligned on price, while not being so bad on gaming performance that they would bottleneck a GPU.

Thanks for the reply!

I guess the limit of my budget is around 2000$ but I hope I do not need to spend it all. Also, I am in Sweden so I think the parts is much more expensive here.

If you have exhausted all internal troubleshooting and have not solved your issue, try looking outside. Speaking from experience, Radio Interference is the most likely suspect. It could be caused by local devices, and even by your router, or USB 3.

I had a similar issue which i fixed by moving the USB KB/M dongle to under my monitor with a USB extension cord.

Mouse and kb aren't wireless though.

Zeusy

Needed to go for the r5 1600 because of the budget, but in general it's not a bad CPU, and more than fast enough for 1440p, 4k @ 60 fps. The 7700k is of course the faster and more expansive choice though.
And that's the problem when choosing a CPU currently: AMDs Ryzen lineup could become the better, more future proof option because of the core/thread advantage while Intels kabylake series has the better per core performance, which won't become irrelevant in the future either. It's not easy to make the decision between intel and amd currently. Each side has value, just in different places. My recommendation: The r5 1600 is good enough currently and has the potential to become even better in the future. The 7700k is faster and has a lot of headroom left for the future, but a z270/7700k combo will cost you ~$200 more. As 4k/60 is your goal I'd rather invest the extra $200 to go for a 1080Ti over a 1080 (for example this one here).
That said; I went with the 7700k/z270/1080 combo (after several days thinking about which CPU to get), but 4k was never my goal (just 1440p till better/cheaper displays and gpus arrive).

I think I'm kind of liking your final build, I'd rather invest at this point as well. I can save a bit more and get a beast of a machine. So you essentially got the same build but with the I7 and 1080Ti?

Doesn't make sense honestly. A hard drive won't keep you from booting to the BIOS. Does the old hard drive still let you boot up? Will the computer boot without any hard drive connected at all?

You're going to have to take the HD out of the equation to see if something else happened. The PC should at least power on and give you a "No boot device found" error at the BIOS.

Definitely not making sense. Just tried it without any HD connected and can't get the bios to come up using hdmi on the graphics card and the mobo. Might have to take in somewhere I guess..

ISee

I think I'm kind of liking your final build, I'd rather invest at this point as well. I can save a bit more and get a beast of a machine. So you essentially got the same build but with the I7 and 1080Ti?

No, I'm just on an i7 / 1080 non ti / 1440p build. But I was able to overclock the system:

7700k @ 4.8 GHz
1080 @ 2050 MHz / 11000 MHz vram
DDR4 @ 3100 MHz / CL 14

That's the full build, if you're interested to take a look.
It is a bit wild, but it started as a Q9550/ GTX GTX 9800 build and I upgraded, exchanged and mixed parts over the years.
I'm planing to upgrade the GPU in Q4 2018/Q1 2019 and to buy a new 27-32" 4K, HDR10 Display in Q2 2019.

An i7/1080Ti build is for sure a beast of a machine, you'll enjoy it for sure.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LvJ2M8

Weevilone

Definitely not making sense. Just tried it without any HD connected and can't get the bios to come up using hdmi on the graphics card and the mobo. Might have to take in somewhere I guess..

I have had a lot of issues with my Asus Z270 board and getting to BIOS. Any overclock seems to make it worse too. Mine seems to stem from the system really wanting to use the Intel integrated GPU rather than my video card. I'm using HDMI with the integrated and Displayport on my video card. Look in the BIOS and see how that's set. In my case when it doesn't boot well I'll look there and it'll have changed the setting. Mine is the Z270 Hero board and I don't like it much.

dcx4610

Check and see if your motherboard has a reset switch. Make sure your monitor itself is set to detect HDMI and didn't somehow get switched to DVI/DP/VGA as well

The BIOS may be looking for the wrong input. Hopefully a reset which make it go back to auto-detect.

Freeman76

Yeah did both of these yesterday to no avail. Really bummed out about this. power supple is pretty new. Replaced it thinking it would fix this issue. Looks like motherboard.

Decided I could look into a new motherboard and saw that all the new ones that are recommended won't fit my processor(i5 3570K) and I don't have the money or desire to upgrade that right now. I would have rather put that towards a new videocard since that too is an old piece of crap. I'm guessing it would ne a huge waste of money buying a mobo compatible with that processor?

This whole thing is bumming me out.

The 970 is a fine and functional card - it's what I'm rocking myself. Plus it's the Asus Strix model, so good version of that card. It'll outperform the 1050 Ti by far at least, giving you mostly High and Ultra in demanding games.

Do note it needs an 8-pin (or 6+2-pin) connector, so you'll need to check your power supply has one spare.

Zeusy

No, I'm just on an i7 / 1080 non ti / 1440p build. But I was able to overclock the system:

7700k @ 4.8 GHz
1080 @ 2050 MHz / 11000 MHz vram
DDR4 @ 3100 MHz / CL 14

That's the full build, if you're interested to take a look.
It is a bit wild, but it started as a Q9550/ GTX GTX 9800 build and I upgraded, exchanged and mixed parts over the years.
I'm planing to upgrade the GPU in Q4 2018/Q1 2019 and to buy a new 27-32" 4K, HDR10 Display in Q2 2019.

An i7/1080Ti build is for sure a beast of a machine, you'll enjoy it for sure.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LvJ2M8

Thanks for the help! I think I'll be going with this now I gotta start ordering the parts and what not

Ghazi

A friend of mine is offering me $300 for my reference 980Ti, thinking about accepting and jumping to a 1070 (MSI or Asus) since it'll be quieter. All the benchmarks I've seen put the 980ti over the 1070 by a little bit though so I'm undecided on whether or not it's actually worth it.

Thoughts?

A friend of mine is offering me $300 for my reference 980Ti, thinking about accepting and jumping to a 1070 (MSI or Asus) since it'll be quieter. All the benchmarks I've seen put the 980ti over the 1070 by a little bit though so I'm undecided on whether or not it's actually worth it.

Thoughts?

The cards trade blows (example: here), so you won't exactly see massive gains from the purchase. What you'd be looking at is greater longterm support and greater optimisation for Pascal in general.

Do you game at 1080p? 1440p?

Ghazi

The cards trade blows (example: here), so you won't exactly see massive gains from the purchase. What you'd be looking at is greater longterm support and greater optimisation for Pascal in general.

Do you game at 1080p? 1440p?

Varies by game. Multiplayer games I usually play at 1080p, 144fps, while for singleplayer games I decide between higher framerate or resolution depending on how it runs.

Money's tight right now, but this seems like something worth doing so I'll probably go for it. Getting onto Pascal means I can probably hold onto this card for longer than I could the 980.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Honest question:

If I have no intention of ever using Crossfire is there absolutely ANY reason to buy an X370 motherboard over a B350?

COuld it be argued that the X370 boards are of higher quality?

So I read it could just be my usb ports failing on the motherboard. Bought a PCI USB expansion and it wasn't doing it at first and it started up again. rarely but still doing it. What the hell can this be? It's been on two separate mouses, a new power supply, multiple complete reformats and now an entirely new set of usbs. Any ideas?

My internet started dropping for seconds at a time so I am 100% convinced my mobo is dying now.

Not in the position to buy a new processor or ram(I have 16 DDR3) so i'm gonna just say fuck it and buy a mobo for my i5 3570K.

I can't find any anywhere. I don't know whats a good model. I'm lost.

Bloodember

Honest question:

If I have no intention of ever using Crossfire is there absolutely ANY reason to buy an X370 motherboard over a B350?

COuld it be argued that the X370 boards are of higher quality?
No, the b350 is all you need.

My internet started dropping for seconds at a time so I am 100% convinced my mobo is dying now.

Not in the position to buy a new processor or ram(I have 16 DDR3) so i'm gonna just say fuck it and buy a mobo for my i5 3570K.

Look on ebay, if you have a microcenter close, they normally have older motherboards in their closeout area.

Fallen92

Hey so I've been thinking of upgrading this old HP pavillion desktop I've had since '09, it's the HP m9550f. For now I just want to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, not sure if I would need to upgrade the power supply, it's 460W. I plan on upgrading the GPU later but right now it has a GTX 650.

I'm getting the B250m motherboard but I'm not sure which processor to get. I plan on using this computer as gaming rig but my budget right now isn't very high so I'm looking to be able to run most games at 60FPS 1080p with mid-High to High settings.

For reference right no my PC has:

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9300 (2.5 GHz)

RAM: 8GB DDR2 (800 MHz)

Hey so I've been thinking of upgrading this old HP pavillion desktop I've had since '09, it's the HP m9550f. For now I just want to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, not sure if I would need to upgrade the power supply, it's 460W. I plan on upgrading the GPU later but right now it has a GTX 650.

I'm getting the B250m motherboard but I'm not sure which processor to get. I plan on using this computer as gaming rig but my budget right now isn't very high so I'm looking to be able to run most games at 60FPS 1080p with mid-High to High settings.

Since you don't specify processor, when you say B250, you mean intel/kabylake, right?

I would suggest reading the OP and look at the G4560 as the basis of a bidget build.

For reference right no my PC has:

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9300 (2.5 GHz)

RAM: 8GB DDR2 (800 MHz)

Could the the original motherboard that came with the pavillion be using propitiatory ports for the front panel, and maybe for the power supply as well? take at look to see if you can actually reuse those, if not you will have to get a new case a PSU.

Fallen92

Could the the original motherboard that came with the pavillion be using propitiatory ports for the front panel, and maybe for the power supply as well? take at look to see if you can actually reuse those, if not you will have to get a new case a PSU.

Just checked and nope everything seems to be normal. The wires are routed in an inconvenient way leading to the front of the case but the connections to the motherboard itself are just normal 4 pin and 10 pin connectors. The PSU also uses a normal 24 pin connector. The only problem I see is that the front USB ports are 2.0 instead of 3.0 but with the new motherboard I would have some 3.0 ports in the back of the case.

Hey guys, I don't really need a new PC, but I am thinking about upgrading my laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 7559.

The reason for the upgrade is for video editing. I'm thinking of upgrading just the RAM. I want more RAM and faster RAM. What are some good ones for laptop? I wonder if I should just throw away the existing 8 GB dimm and get 2x 8GB that's faster, or just get another 8GB on par with the existing RAM. The former seems like a waste.

shanafan

You most likely would see a difference, does it make sense financially to you though? Also your 500w psu will work just fine. CPU's and GPU's are less power hungry than they use to be.

Thanks. Probably makes most sense that I would see a difference, but good on not needing a new PSU which can save some $$.

Is it crazy right now to be looking at used server hardware due to the price of ram right now? I am trying to breath life into a few old systems i have and the ram upgrade price is the same as buying a more powerful xeon system because of ecc memory actually being affordable. The used market sucks ass right now both in gpu and ram.

Iorv3th

Hey guys, I don't really need a new PC, but I am thinking about upgrading my laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 7559.

The reason for the upgrade is for video editing. I'm thinking of upgrading just the RAM. I want more RAM and faster RAM. What are some good ones for laptop? I wonder if I should just throw away the existing 8 GB dimm and get 2x 8GB that's faster, or just get another 8GB on par with the existing RAM. The former seems like a waste.

It's DDR3 so faster ram isn't really going to make a noticeable difference. You can increase it up to 16GB though.

Makai

What vcore?
1.4 v

jkZrKNl.png

I have no idea how to set this up manually if this is wrong.

Asrock z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - advanced turbo 50

HowZatOZ

Banned
Alright so I'm looking to upgrade from i7 3700k into the modern world of gaming after noticing lots of slowdown with my GTX1070 most likely bottlenecking. I've got my eyes on the 1700 R7 as it would be an insane jump for me, almost 50% performance increase.

My main question is, what's a good CPU all-in-one water cooler? It seems a lot of the under $200 AUD ones don't actually include AM4 brackets and on top of that my case only fits 120mm fans. I did some research on the Wraith cooler included in the 1700 and it seems to be half decent at cooling, plus I'd be upgrading from the CoolerMaster V8 so not sure how big of an upgrade the stock would be.

Any help would be super appreciative as I'm hovering over the buy button now minus the cooler.

Alright so I'm looking to upgrade from i7 3700k into the modern world of gaming after noticing lots of slowdown with my GTX1070 most likely bottlenecking. I've got my eyes on the 1700 R7 as it would be an insane jump for me, almost 50% performance increase.

My main question is, what's a good CPU all-in-one water cooler? It seems a lot of the under $200 AUD ones don't actually include AM4 brackets and on top of that my case only fits 120mm fans. I did some research on the Wraith cooler included in the 1700 and it seems to be half decent at cooling, plus I'd be upgrading from the CoolerMaster V8 so not sure how big of an upgrade the stock would be.

Any help would be super appreciative as I'm hovering over the buy button now minus the cooler.

What resolution/refresh rate do you play at? What games were you noticing slowdown in?

gnomed

If you're looking for a used z68 or z77 chipset you might be assed out unless you play the waiting game. Every so often you can nab one of these for under $100 but that's a 50% increase in price 2-3yrs ago when they were less than 50. There are tons of sandy and ivy bridge processors with very little motherboards to go around.

Freeman76

The 970 is a fine and functional card - it's what I'm rocking myself. Plus it's the Asus Strix model, so good version of that card. It'll outperform the 1050 Ti by far at least, giving you mostly High and Ultra in demanding games.

Do note it needs an 8-pin (or 6+2-pin) connector, so you'll need to check your power supply has one spare.

God damn...if it doesnt what do I need to buy?

ISee

Slowdowns with a 3700k? It should be strong enough for modern games, especially overclocked.
The problem with 120mm AIOs is: They have mostly small radiators, with only one fan (sometimes two in pull push configuration). I'd honestly go with a smaller dual tower cooler instead, because you will get better cooling and better noise levels this way. For example something like the cryorig r1 universal, it is relatively small, doesn't interfere with ram, it isn't loud, it is a very good performer and you don't have to worry about water or a pump that could fail (way worse than one failing fan).
If you still want to go for a 120mm single radiator AIO get something quiet, performance wise they are all very close to each other anymway. The most popular ones are from corsair like the H80i v2, but the fans are loud and the corsair software is a mess. If you buy it, use your MB to control that thing and get a better 120mm fan.
AM4 brackets are a problem, because ryzen is relatively new. No matter what you buy, you'll need to order the brackets separately (mostly free anyway).

God damn...if it doesnt what do I need to buy?

depends on what you got. If you PSU is at least semi modular you can get a new cable that would go from the box to the card.
like these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A45JA52/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODULAR-CAB...006691?hash=item4664b09c63:g:AXAAAOSwKytZMOYG

if it is not modular, then you have to put an adapter on the end of your spare cables, like these:
pcie 6 to 8 : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TK3TJY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

some cards come with it on the box.

If you're looking for a used z68 or z77 chipset you might be assed out unless you play the waiting game. Every so often you can nab one of these for under $100 but that's a 50% increase in price 2-3yrs ago when they were less than 50. There are tons of sandy and ivy bridge processors with very little motherboards to go around.

What a hassle.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I seek build advice
My friends are buying a PC, their first in....years, really. They don't know how to build them, and don't really care for learning. Originally I was leaning towards PCCG in Australia as I recall them offering a build service. I was going to pick the parts for them based on their monetary limits, and either build it myself or have PCCG build and ship it.

Unfortunately PCCG do not offer that service any more, instead selling their own pre-built configurations. I crunched some numbers and they're not a total screw, breaking about even as part prices vs prebuilt, so no biggy there. They live far away from me so me ordering parts and building isn't much of an option. Thus they are tossing up the prebuilt configurations.

You can find a full list of pre-built options here, but these are the four they're tossing up between.

OPTION 1 $1249:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Processor with Wraith Spire
Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-HD3 Motherboard
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15FBK2/8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 Black

OPTION 2 $1299
CPU: Intel Core i5 7400
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B250M-A Motherboard
Graphics: XFX Radeon RX 570 RS 4GB XXX Edition
Memory: Corsair Value Select CMV8GX4M1A2133C15 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4

OPTION 3 $1349
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350M-A Motherboard
Graphics: ASUS ROG Radeon RX 570 Strix Gaming 4GB
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury HX421C14FBK2/8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 Black

OPTION 4 $1449
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor with Wraith Spire
Graphics: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB

I'm asking for advice as I don't want them overpaying for something they're not going to take advantage of, and because admittedly I'm a bit out of the loop with hardware on the AMD side of things and middish tier.

They will not be using the PC for high intensive gaming on the regular. It will be used for gaming, I suspect a lot of stuff like Subnautica and other indie titles, with the odd newer title thrown in. He owns a PS4 and uses that for most of his gaming, so he's not at all fussed about the system pushing 60+fps at maximum settings. They'll be playing on a 1080p TV anyway, and he's never been one to worry about dialling back settings to make games run.

They're both artists, her visual him mainly video, so the CPU most beneficial to video/visual editing would be a good pick. Again, they don't need cutting edge in this regard, as both do most of their visual work at their place of employment, but being able to tinker a bit at home would be good.

I was going to build them an Intel + Nvidia machine, but these options throw a bit of a curve ball. Any advice?

Freeman76

depends on what you got. If you PSU is at least semi modular you can get a new cable that would go from the box to the card.
like these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A45JA52/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODULAR-CAB...006691?hash=item4664b09c63:g:AXAAAOSwKytZMOYG

if it is not modular, then you have to put an adapter on the end of your spare cables, like these:
pcie 6 to 8 : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TK3TJY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

some cards come with it on the box.

Thanks.

Is there a pic or something you can show me of what I need to have in my PSU please? Would be good to check this out before the end of the week when the card arrives, so that if I need to buy anything else I can try and get it here before then.

Sorry I know my questions are of the most basic nature and probably eye rollingly simple, but I had the PC built for me by Chillblast 5 years ago and literally have no knowledge of this stuff when it comes to the building aspect.

Thanks

HowZatOZ

Banned
What resolution/refresh rate do you play at? What games were you noticing slowdown in?
Running 1080p/59hz refresh. Nothing super fancy I know but I am noticing slowdowns in a few of the most recent games, notably Prey, PUBG (I understand its EA just noting), Dota 2 at max, Witcher 3 and even CSGO at times when things are heavy. I'm not too keen on overclocking, it isn't something I've ever been interested in though not because of being weary of damaging parts but just because I don't really have the time to go through setups/guides etc.

Honestly, this current setup bar my 1070 has lasted me a good five years, something I can only be all too grateful for. This is why I'm looking at I guess future proofing again for another five years, and hopefully with the right choice CPU (1700), motherboard (ASrock Gaming K4) and RAM (16GB 2400MHZ) I can achieve that.
Slowdowns with a 3700k? It should be strong enough for modern games, especially overclocked.
The problem with 120mm AIOs is: They have mostly small radiators, with only one fan (sometimes two in pull push configuration). I'd honestly go with a smaller dual tower cooler instead, because you will get better cooling and better noise levels this way. For example something like the cryorig r1 universal, it is relatively small, doesn't interfere with ram, it isn't loud, it is a very good performer and you don't have to worry about water or a pump that could fail (way worse than one failing fan).
If you still want to go for a 120mm single radiator AIO get something quiet, performance wise they are all very close to each other anymway. The most popular ones are from corsair like the H80i v2, but the fans are loud and the corsair software is a mess. If you buy it, use your MB to control that thing and get a better 120mm fan.
AM4 brackets are a problem, because ryzen is relatively new. No matter what you buy, you'll need to order the brackets separately (mostly free anyway).
Yeah I know limiting to 120mm is rather frustrating for good performance but its sadly all my case can handle, and I can't justify upgrading to a new one just yet when this one works so fine. I'm not super set on AIO coolers, as I mentioned the current setup is running a V8 and its a bloody beast at its job in these Queensland temperatures during summer.

I'm contemplating just sticking with the 1700 included Wraith cooler through winter, then see how it handles come summer as to whether I need to switch to a more powerful cooler. Noise doesn't bother me either, as long as it can handle the high temps of Australia I'm all over it.

Thorgal

Does anyone know of optimal calibration settings for a BenqXL2720Z monitor ?

I already know perfect settings are different from monitor to monitor ( even of the same kind ) but short of hiring someone to come and professionally calibrate my monitor i want to come as close as possible .

Thanks.

Is there a pic or something you can show me of what I need to have in my PSU please? Would be good to check this out before the end of the week when the card arrives, so that if I need to buy anything else I can try and get it here before then.

Sorry I know my questions are of the most basic nature and probably eye rollingly simple, but I had the PC built for me by Chillblast 5 years ago and literally have no knowledge of this stuff when it comes to the building aspect.

Thanks

Open up your case, take a look at the PSU. If it's in any way modular, it'll look something like:
modular-power-supply.jpg

Now, the reason you have to check the PSU yourself before buying anything - different semi-modular PSUs can come with different connectors. Some will have those on the left of the picture, others those on the right. So if you have a semi-modular PSU and go the route of buying, you need to know what you're hooking it up into.

If on the other hand it is not at al modular, and all the cables come out of the same, circular hole, then you have to count up the various pin connectors it already has. Perhaps you'll be lucky and it has an extra 8-pin, or was 6+2 pins anyway. If not true, then you buy a converter, simple as thwt.

Freeman76

Open up your case, take a look at the PSU. If it's in any way modular, it'll look something like:
modular-power-supply.jpg

Now, the reason you have to check the PSU yourself before buying anything - different semi-modular PSUs can come with different connectors. Some will have those on the left of the picture, others those on the right. So if you have a semi-modular PSU and go the route of buying, you need to know what you're hooking it up into.

If on the other hand it is not at al modular, and all the cables come out of the same, circular hole, then you have to count up the various pin connectors it already has. Perhaps you'll be lucky and it has an extra 8-pin, or was 6+2 pins anyway. If not true, then you buy a converter, simple as thwt.

Thanks for all the help mate. I will get a pic when I get home from work and upload it, just to make sure I'm doing the right thing, if that's ok?

Thanks

ISee

I seek build advice
My friends are buying a PC, their first in....years, really. They don't know how to build them, and don't really care for learning. Originally I was leaning towards PCCG in Australia as I recall them offering a build service. I was going to pick the parts for them based on their monetary limits, and either build it myself or have PCCG build and ship it.

Unfortunately PCCG do not offer that service any more, instead selling their own pre-built configurations. I crunched some numbers and they're not a total screw, breaking about even as part prices vs prebuilt, so no biggy there. They live far away from me so me ordering parts and building isn't much of an option. Thus they are tossing up the prebuilt configurations.

You can find a full list of pre-built options here, but these are the four they're tossing up between.

OPTION 1 $1249:
Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-HD3 Motherboard
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15FBK2/8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 Black

OPTION 2 $1299
CPU: Intel Core i5 7400
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B250M-A Motherboard
Graphics: XFX Radeon RX 570 RS 4GB XXX Edition
Memory: Corsair Value Select CMV8GX4M1A2133C15 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4

OPTION 3 $1349
Graphics: ASUS ROG Radeon RX 570 Strix Gaming 4GB

OPTION 4 $1449
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor with Wraith Spire
Graphics: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB

I'm asking for advice as I don't want them overpaying for something they're not going to take advantage of, and because admittedly I'm a bit out of the loop with hardware on the AMD side of things and middish tier.

They will not be using the PC for high intensive gaming on the regular. It will be used for gaming, I suspect a lot of stuff like Subnautica and other indie titles, with the odd newer title thrown in. He owns a PS4 and uses that for most of his gaming, so he's not at all fussed about the system pushing 60+fps at maximum settings. They'll be playing on a 1080p TV anyway, and he's never been one to worry about dialling back settings to make games run.

They're both artists, her visual him mainly video, so the CPU most beneficial to video/visual editing would be a good pick. Again, they don't need cutting edge in this regard, as both do most of their visual work at their place of employment, but being able to tinker a bit at home would be good.

I was going to build them an Intel + Nvidia machine, but these options throw a bit of a curve ball. Any advice?

Option 2 has only one stick of DDR memory. That's a no go and will negatively influence their performance while working and gaming. They could of course just buy another 8 GB stick, but making ram work that wasn't sold in a kit can be tricky sometimes. Even if it is the same brand/model.

Option 1 is a fine entry level build for 1080p/30-60 fps at medium settings, but it seems to be a bit overpriced at first glance and the 570 from option 3 is good enough for 1080p/60 at reasonable high settings.

Option 4 is my personal favorite, not because of the strong GPU but because you mentioned professional video/photo editing, but it is expansive and they don't need the 580.

Their optimal build would be a r5 1600, a 1060-3G/RX 470/RX 570, b250 MB, a SSD and 16GB of Ram (2x8).

Top Bottom