• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'I really regret my vote now': The Brexit voters who wish they'd voted to remain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Today:
ngYtd.gif

Acorn

I'm broadly speaking pro-EU, however I've come to enjoy the Brexit as a means to an end of what I want (Irish reunification). Admittedly it's obviously not the goal of Brexit, but it appears there's a slim chance it might become a consequence, and I'll take any slim chance I can get when it comes to reunification.

I too want to congratulate the U.K for standing up to BS bureaucracy that the EU have indeed become. I can't tell you how many times I've face-palmed as I heard the crap laws that the EU enforces on their members, not to mention that it's flawed from the start as bigger members can bully smaller ones and enforce shit they don't want.
The losers are looking for everything little thing to invalidate this referendum, thankfully it ends up looking sad and pathetic more than anything. Kicking and screaming indeed.
Except nobody says these idiots amount to anything close to the gap. Keep reaching.

And pro eu my arse you just spewed half a Farage speech.

Azerare

Wow I hate that mentality. "My vote doesn't matter so I'm not going to vote or vote for whatever". Do what you think is right, don't throw away your privilege to vote for change!

A vote is important. But lets be real, its not going to do too much.

Lead

Banned
Except nobody says these idiots amount to anything close to the gap. Keep reaching.

And pro eu my arse you just spewed half a Farage speech.
I'm for free trade, isn't that what the EU was build on? I'm not for free movement, I'm not for centralized government and lawmaking that the EU have become.

Social dumping is something that was introduced to western Europe not out of coincidence but as a direct consequence of free movement in the EU.

MilkLizard

Bloody Idiots. This is like the South Park episode where Canada votes for "Trump" for shits and giggles and then they all regret it afterwards.

Surreal actually.

I'm for free trade, isn't that what the EU was build on? I'm not for free movement, I'm not for centralized government and lawmaking that the EU have become.

Social dumping is something that was introduced to western Europe not out of coincidence but as a direct consequence of free movement in the EU.

Did you just imply that immigrants used for low-skilled labor is a new thing, or bad in all cases?

Moosichu

Let's break down what "free trade" means.

Free trade means the ability to trade goods and capital freely, usely something that requires free movement to be more effective, otherwise it only benefits the super rich. Furthermore, to enable free trade, countries have to agree on a common set of laws and regulations they must all abide by to prevent a race to the bottom. This can either come in too forms, a union or free trade agreement.

The former is democratic, giving all citizens within the free trading zone a say in how it works. (The EU and European parlaiment)

The latter is not so, a set of laws behind closed laws and determined by lobbyists. (TTIP)

Saying you just wanted "free trade" without "law making" is just an ignorant statement.

Acorn

It hasn't been just free trade in a long time so I'm struggling to see how you would like the eu at all. Judging from your posts you are right wing so we can put social policy as a negative for you. So that's essentially the whole of the modern eu you dislike, unless you are a time traveller from the 70s?

If "social dumping" is what I think it is, holy shit, what a disgusting phrase.

jett

D-Member
The masses are dumbasses.

Who would've thunk. These kinds of decisions really shouldn't be left up to a simple majority.

Let's break down what "free trade" means.

Free trade means the ability to trade goods and capital freely, usely something that requires free movement to be more effective, otherwise it only benefits the super rich. Furthermore, to enable free trade, countries have to agree on a common set of laws and regulations they must all abide by to prevent a race to the bottom. This can either come in too forms, a union or free trade agreement.

The former is democratic, giving all citizens within the free trading zone a say in how it works. (The EU and European parlaiment)

The latter is not so, a set of laws behind closed laws and determined by lobbyists. (TTIP)

Saying you just wanted "free trade" without "law making" is just an ignorant statement.

Great post. Probably gonna get ignored, though.

Maybe not the for U.K but for several other European countries it's most definitely a new thing (new as in the past 50 years).

Like which one? I highly doubt that there exists a single country that hasn't relied on immigration at some point, even in the past 50 years. (although that's clear goalpost moving, but whatever)

Lead

Banned
Did you just imply that immigrants used for low-skilled labor is a new thing, or bad in all cases?
Maybe not the for U.K but for several other European countries it's most definitely a new thing (new as in the past 50 years).

And it's bad as long as there's a native population unemployed. If there was a surplus of jobs it wouldn't be an issue.
It hasn't been just free trade in a long time so I'm struggling to see how you would like the eu at all. Judging from your posts you are right wing so we can put social policy as a negative for you. So that's essentially the whole of the modern eu you dislike, unless you are a time traveller from the 70s?
I'm a liberal conservative, so yes I'm right wing. And I suppose you're right, I am not for EU as is, thankfully I live in a country that isn't a full member and just last December told our politicians to fuck off as they tried to remove our opt-outs.

AGoodODST

Why would you be such a stupid cunt?

"I didn't think my vote would count". Aye, cause you probably can't even count ya daft prick.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Is there an actual source for this?

It sounds like one of those Einstein quotes that the internet has concocted.

I looked and is the telegraph a good source?

Edit: forget about it

That Churchill quote is fake and misattributed to him. It originates from the early early 90s internet, which is why you see so many publications quote it to true (because even reporters google everything).

Of course that just makes the saying even better because people will repeat it to mock uninformed voters, only to out themselves as being uninformed too!

There needs to be a questionnaire before voting. If you pass, you get to vote, if you fail get the fuck out and educate yourself.

"I didn't think my vote would count" - What!

Lead

Banned
Like which one? I highly doubt that there exists a single country that hasn't relied on immigration at some point, even in the past 50 years. (although that's clear goalpost moving, but whatever)
Denmark. It wasn't until the 1960's that we had any sort of tangible immigration for low skilled labor.

Not only that, many of the people that voted to leave in Labour heartlands voted for a completely different type of Brexit.

I'm talking about the "time-machine to the 70s" Brexit: More protectionism for British industry; big publicly-owned companies that employed entire towns; a cosier time. It's entirely understandable, seeing how the policy towards dismantling big industries completely fucked-up these parts of the country, and government policy has largely ignored these regions in the decades since. We saw the fruits of this yesterday; it was as much of a vote against that establishment as against Europe, hence why Scotland largely went for Remain.

The thing is, none of the Vote Leave leadership have the slightest inclination to go down this route. John Mann, that pro-Leave Labour MP, was on the radio this morning right after Boris' speech, and his chat about rolling back on "EU privatisation" was more or less laughed off by those present. "We won it for Leave, they have to listen to us" fell on deaf ears. He, and those in his constituency, have been played like damn fiddles by Boris, Gove and co.

Apparently it was after the vote when a lot of people in the UK decided to search EU on Google, as if it had just occurred to them what was at stake. NPR
The fact is a lot of the votes were protest votes; people giving the middle finger to the Government. The unfortunate truth of the matter is ignorant people should not be allowed to vote. Maybe some kind of test should be done so people actually understand what they're doing and its importance. There are a lot of politically ignorant people in the UK, particularly England where the common opinion seems to be "politicians there all the same" and "what's the point". Apathy is the enemy of democracy. One man one vote is fine, up to a point. But it becomes a real problem when a voter doesn't even understand what they're voting for, or even cares one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom