• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the N64 is Nintendo's worst machine and era

OmahaG8

The N64 was easily their worst and it started the downfall of Nintendo as the dominant brand.

I was a diehard Nintendo fan and remember not even being that impressed when I saw Mario 64 at Toys R Us. I was into PC gaming after the SNES and PC was already doing more interesting things with better graphics. I was also letdown with how the N64 was promised to basically be a home SGI machine with the exact same graphics as Killer Instinct in the arcade.

They stuck with carts and charged huge licensing fees which drove 3rd party companies away. The controller was also polarizing and just didn't feel right unless a game was as specifically programmed for it.

I think if you are in your early 20s, you are incredibly nostalgic for the N64 since that's what you grew up with. For me, I grew up with the NES and that's what I'm nostalgic for. I make no bones about the NES being the best just because I think it is. Likewise, if you look at the N64 objectively, it certainly broke a lot of ground for console but I think the long term impact it had on another Nintendo was extremely negative.

Who hurt you?

BigDug13

N64 was the peak/pinnacle of couch 4 player gaming. The number of hours I spent with 3 friends in front of the TV playing Goldeneye of Mario Kart is incredible. Made my first naval deployment bearable.

No other console has promoted 4 player couch gaming as much as the N64 did IMO. While PS1 had 2 controller ports, Nintendo brought the multiplayer greatness.

The biggest letdown was when Doom64 didn't include multiplayer. Truly baffling decision.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Who hurt you?

To be honest I wasn't impressed the first time I saw Mario 64 either. It was the same boring, fat plumber but now in 3D. Yay, whatever. In hindsight I will give it credit for doing some rather impressive things for its time, even though I've never really liked the game.

kunonabi

These "Wii was embarrassing", etc. comments are something else.

The Wii had:

From Nintendo

2 3D Mario games
1 2D Mario
Mario Kart
Smash Bros.
Paper Mario
Animal Crossing
2 Excite games
WarioWare and WarioLand games
Fire Emblem
a Mario Strikers sequel
a Battlion Wars sequel
2 Metroid titles(one mainline and one Prime)
a Mario Superstar Baseball sequel
an Another Code sequel
a Lost Magic successor
a Sin & Punishment sequel
2 Kirby games
a new Punch-out!!
a Donkey Kong Country sequel
a localized Itadaki Street title
Zelda + TP port
another Square-developed Mario Sports game
Rhythm Heaven
2 Mario Party titles
at least 11 new IPs(and that's with lumping the Wii ___ stuff into one IP)

Notable franchises(mainline entries or close to it)
Samurai Warriors
Fatal Frame(mainline and a remake)
Dragon Quest(mainline, spinoff, and anthology)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Chocobo titles(not mainline but established)
Guilty Gear
Harvest Moon
Monster Hunter
Nights
Prince of Persia
Sakura Wars
Mystery Dungeon
3 exclusive Sonic games
Super Monkey Ball
Tales (mainline and a symphonia sequel)
an exclusive Capcom VS title
Tenchu
Trauma series

Plus various spinoffs, remakes, and spiritual successors to stuff like Machi, a Boy and his Blob, Resident Evil, Broken Sword, Castlevania, Dead Space, Inazuma Eleven, and others in addition to all the other new 3rd party IPs.

This isn't a comprehensive list by any stretch and doesn't even touch on Wiiware stuff.

You had the likes of Hironobu Sakaguchi, Warren Spector, Suda 51, Yuji Naka, Tetsuya Takahashi, Masaya Matsuura, and even Stephen Spielberg and Takashi Shimizu making games for the Wii in addition to development groups like Platinum, Project Aces, Vanillaware, Chunsoft, Cing, Wayforward, and Sandlot.

Now I'm not saying that this means that everyone should agree that this is the greatest Nintendo console or anything like that. Opinions on individual entries are subjective and many of these titles got stuck in one or two regions but saying Nintendo should be embarrassed or that it's unequivocally their worst console is just spiteful nonsense.

Any other Nintendo console post SNES would kill for that kind of support and honestly you could make the argument that the collective support from the big guys like Ubisoft, Capcom, SEGA, EA, Namco, Tecmo Koei, etc was better than what Nintendo got on the N64, GC, or the Wii U.

And this is at the same time that Nintendo is supporting the insanely successful DS too.

Hell, you put up this kind of rundown without telling people it's for the Wii and most people would be all over it or the very least not putting it dead last in terms of Nintendo consoles.

Mael

Wii was the best thing Nintendo did in ages easily.
I was there from the endtail of the SNES to these WiiU dark days.
Wii had an actual 2D sidescroller that didn't suck ass (arguably the best they ever did).
It did everything the GC did and more so it's already better than GC.
Heck people will come an dsay that you shoudln't count the GC BC, but that's part of the package and I actually used these functionalities unlike most of what the GC had to offer.
N64 was better than GC but still so far bellow Wii it's not even funny.
People claiming N64 and GC (and even SNES) are any better clearly weren't there waiting forever for the games to drop.
I actually had new games to play instead of waiting months and months for new shit to drop.

And any opinion where DS isn't the best thing Nintendo ever did is the sign of fairly bad taste, sooooooooooooooo many new things to play and sooooooooo many interesting games to play!
3DS wishes it could do half the shit the DS achieved, let alone GBA or the ones before.

Celine

Kazooie definitely holds up. The XBLA port is the first time I ever played it, and it immediately leapfrogged most 3D platformers for me. Haven't played Tooie yet though.

I would agree that the vast overwhelming majority of Rare's older stuff doesn't hold up at all though. It's pretty much just Banjo Kazooie and Blast Corps. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are fine for their single player campaigns, but multiplayer is awful by today's standards.
Agree, maybe add Diddy Kong Racing to Banjo Kazooie and Blast Corps.

Type40

N64 had some of the best entries in their respective series for Mario, Mario Kart, Starfox, Zelda and debuts for Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Smash. Not to mention Rare's output before their demise.

As for the controller it was awesome. There's a bunch of games that don't play right without that controller.

Gameboy Color on the other hand was mostly ignored, with it's 2 Wario games and plethora of 1/2 hearted ports.

Unpopular opinion time: while some people really liked the gamecube, I did not. I liked the N64 so much that every subsequent system has been a disappointment. The Wii U has come the closest to meeting my expectations from Nintendo in a long time, but it comes no where close to the N64. Every game I eagerly played on the GC proved underwhelming in comparison to the N64. Sunshine, Double Dash, Melee, Wind Waker, etc all disapointments in comparison to their predecessors. Luigi's mansion - too slow paced and short. Wave Race - underwhelming. Star Fox Adventures - awful. A few bright spots on the GC were SSX Tricky - a third party game, Metroid Prime and Pikmin. There were other decent games I didn't mention, but still nothing on the scale and awe of what the N64 produced. And while everyone knocks the N64 controller, I actually despised the GC controller for it's bizarre button/analog stick layout and clicky bumpers. The GC was the beginning of a long spiral down into mediocrity for Nintendo in my not so popular opinion.

Most of what you said is not a minority opinion. Some hardcore Nintendo fans really do have great memories of playing GameCube, and they are posting in this thread.

I've been critical of the system mostly because people are saying it has better games than N64, and I disagree with that. But I never actually said GameCube was a bad system, and I will give it its dues.

Melee, Prime, and F-Zero GX are great timeless games, and the system laid down important groundwork with Animal Crossing (first American release), Pikmin, and Luigi's Mansion. Windwaker was polarizing at the time, but it is now highly praised.

The system received a few RPGs such as Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, and an enhanced Skies of Arcadia port. Paper Mario and the Thousand Year and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance are fine efforts by Intelligent Systems.

Gamecube's library is also considerably helped by the Capcom 5 (actually 4), though three of the games are not exclusive.

N64 just has more to offer than this. However, after this post, I can finally put GameCube over WiiU. Its lineup didn't entice a lot of gamers, but it still had more to offer than WiiU.

The N64 was easily their worst and it started the downfall of Nintendo as the dominant brand.

I was a diehard Nintendo fan and remember not even being that impressed when I saw Mario 64 at Toys R Us. I was into PC gaming after the SNES and PC was already doing more interesting things with better graphics. I was also letdown with how the N64 was promised to basically be a home SGI machine with the exact same graphics as Killer Instinct in the arcade.

They stuck with carts and charged huge licensing fees which drove 3rd party companies away. The controller was also polarizing and just didn't feel right unless a game was as specifically programmed for it.

I think if you are in your early 20s, you are incredibly nostalgic for the N64 since that's what you grew up with. For me, I grew up with the NES and that's what I'm nostalgic for. I make no bones about the NES being the best just because I think it is. Likewise, if you look at the N64 objectively, it certainly broke a lot of ground for console but I think the long term impact it had on another Nintendo was extremely negative.

I will agree that pretty much all N64 games have aged pretty bad, even the great ones, but Mario 64 is still amazing. I just refuse to believe this statement because there was legit nothing available at the time that looked and performed like Mario 64 when it came out. Unless i have subconsciously blocked something out that i cant remember if so what was it?

I think age has something to do with it to. I had the right age in that I had friends to play with up until college. Nintendo 64 was the best multiplayer machine, and after that era, we never really played split screen multiplayer again.

So for me, the social aspect makes me biased towards the those games. Many of the sequels on Gamecube and Wii just wasn't fun to play by yourself. We had all moved on to online gaming, and it just seemed like a waste. I remember that we deliberately didn't want to play split screen.
So for me, Smash Brothers, Mario Kart and so on the GC and Wii were just pointless.

I miss the 90s a lot. I was reminded off it watching these:

1996: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx2vlmP2NsU
1997: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFtmGwxbIq0
1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2xJHprqeCs
1999: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1glM0LgjCOY
2000: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJpDp3429ec

Nintendo 64 is like a lot of computer graphics from the 90s. It doesn't hold up. And what tends to hold up are the clean looking games like Mario 64 and Banjo. Those that were technical marvels at the time are really rough and hard to play. It's like that with a lot of 90s movies. The level of CGI is so bad compared to now.
I think with more time it wll have its own charm. Just like 8 bit retro sprites are super modern and cool, so will early 3d polygon graphics also be. Poor framerates make anything unplayable though. I remember Perfect Dark with 8 sims chugging like mad.

brokentrain

i think my problem with the wii personally, and this goes along with the whole 'worst' idea, isn't that its a bad console, honestly none of their consoles (aside from the console which shall not be named) are actually bad, its just the weakest when compared to the other ones.

As far as the wii goes, specifically, it has a ton of franchise games sure, as do many of the other nintendo consoles, so it wasn't as if it had no good games, its more like the iterations of all the big games that did appear on the consoles were either very weak, or were later ports from other system's releases.

taking a look at nintendo's franchises first, would I say wii's mario kart was the best or even second best version? Not even close. How about smash bros? I personally think its the worst version. Metroid Prime 3 was good sure, but it was the weakest of the 3. Fire emblem? Absolutely no way Radiant Dawn is in the top 3 or even top 5 fire emblem games. Mario Galaxy is the exception here, and that's fine, again, all these systems aren't bad, its just on average the wii has the weakest library that I suspect wont stand the test of time.

You can continue this with the majority of Nintendo franchises and see that there simply aren't enough 'best of franchise' titles here at all to be memorable over time, compared to the gamecube or even the n64.

Most of it's 3rd party releases weren't big AAA titles, and though some are good the majority of them will likely be remembered by fandoms and niche groups rather than say, a majority of gamers.

-Dragon quest swords wasn't very good, dq collection is a port unreleased in the usa
-FF crystal chronicles was a fairly poor game
-I hadn't played the harvest moon wii game, but by review scores it looks pretty poor - it looks safe to say that i wouldn't point to the wii version if I wanted to play a harvest moon game.
-Tales dawn of the new world is pretty not great, Graces was pretty good but the F version later was far superior and as a whole in Tales Graces probably isn't top 3.
-Of the sonic games, only colors was pretty good, but would you go "play sonic colors on the wii" if you wanted to tell someone to play a sonic game?

again, not saying there was nothing good on here. Monster hunter tri was a fine, strong game, xenoblade was great, zack and wiki (anyone remember this?) was pretty sweet

I guess what I'm getting at is there really isn't enough strong items here to make this a system I'd go back to in the future, when I can pick any other system and have a suite of games that are good examples of said franchises and have a high level of quality across the library. The wii is more like, let's have SOME version of this game on here, so at least we can say we had it, and that makes for a rather lackluster system imo

Jay Sosa

Can I get some of the drugs you're on? Or did you simply went into hibernation after the Gamecube? Cause otherwise I really don't have any clue how you can come to that conclusion.

Anth0ny

My order for Nintendo consoles is N64>SNES>GC>NES>Wii U>Wii

I value first party Nintendo games above all, so the lack of third party support or JRPGs or whatever on the N64 never really bothered me. I take a console with Mario 64, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time and the Rare games over anything else.

spookyfish

This is how I always held the N64 controller. It's the only correct way to hold it as well. All of the "official" suggested ways to hold the controller are trash in comparison.

14qOfK4.gif

I loved the N64 controller. I loved the options, the fact that it was perfect for 3D games and 2D games. Playing Perfect Dark with two controllers (twin sticks) or Pod Racer with two controllers was quite cool. The Sony limp-sticks never impressed me. They got better on PS2, but the PS1 dual shocks were too flimsy.

Wii was the best thing Nintendo did in ages easily.
I was there from the endtail of the SNES to these WiiU dark days.
Wii had an actual 2D sidescroller that didn't suck ass (arguably the best they ever did).
It did everything the GC did and more so it's already better than GC.
Heck people will come an dsay that you shoudln't count the GC BC, but that's part of the package and I actually used these functionalities unlike most of what the GC had to offer.
N64 was better than GC but still so far bellow Wii it's not even funny.
People claiming N64 and GC (and even SNES) are any better clearly weren't there waiting forever for the games to drop.
I actually had new games to play instead of waiting months and months for new shit to drop.

And any opinion where DS isn't the best thing Nintendo ever did is the sign of fairly bad taste, sooooooooooooooo many new things to play and sooooooooo many interesting games to play!
3DS wishes it could do half the shit the DS achieved, let alone GBA or the ones before.

This post is 99% spot on! I can't really imagine SNES having droughts because of its strong third party support, but several Nintendo consoles truly suffered through them.

I love 3DS, but it doesn't touch the DS overall. Portable Monster Hunter is a major boon for 3DS, but it's still missing a lot. The first party is great, but third party titles give GBA and DS many advantages.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I owned the following games on N64:

Super Mario 64
Perfect Dark
Golden Eye 007
Paper Mario
F-Zero X
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
Beetle Adventure Racing (criminally underrated)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Pokémon Stadium 2
Star Wars Episode I: Racer
Quake
Resident Evil 2

Which is incredible, because prior to listing these games, I had forgotten how many I owned. I actually owned more N64 games than Gamecube games, when for years I thought it was the opposite.

Onto Gamecube, I owned the following games:

Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Luigi's Mansion
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 4
The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
Sonic Adventure 2

Now in retrospect, I think I had a more consistent enjoyment with the N64. Although the Gamecube had the lowest lows for me, its highest highs have yet to be surpassed. Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Resident Evil Remake, and Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube still make it my favorite console ever. Hell, even if it was only Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4, I'd consider it the best console ever. Those two games mean THAT much to me.

So yes, I think the N64 was the worst.

Disclaimer: Perhaps my opinion and list is invalidated because I am not truly considering the NES or Wii U, being that one is too old and the other I never owned.

Jay Sosa

Disclaimer: Perhaps my opinion and list is invalidated because I am not truly considering the NES or Wii U, being that one is too old and the other I never owned.

Oh...OH..now that makes more sense. I mean even though I hated the Wii it did have some amazing games.

Ammogeddon

My order for Nintendo consoles is N64>SNES>GC>NES>Wii U>Wii

I value first party Nintendo games above all, so the lack of third party support or JRPGs or whatever on the N64 never really bothered me. I take a console with Mario 64, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time and the Rare games over anything else.

Good man, that's the order I would've put them in too.

I know people are entitled to their opinion but I feel like everyone's drinking crazy juice ;)

bender

What time is it?
It would have my least favorite controller of the systems I've owned if not for the Intellivision. The N64 is a huge hole in my gaming history but I just can't stand that controller.

Shion

You've forgot Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, the only good thing to came out from that movie.
Oh yes, Episode 1 Racer was good.

The N64 library just felt so low-brow overall. So many trashy licensed games, Acclaim junk, and kid-focused titles.
Acclaim was one of the biggest surprises of that generation IMO.

They were one of the worst publishers during the Mega Drive / SNES days, but they improved a lot during Gen 5.

Turok, Extreme-G and Forsaken were great games.

conman

Like many here, I completely disagree with the OP.

The N64 was remarkable in many ways:
1) It brought console gaming out of its dimly lit early days of sprites and into the full daylight of the polygon era.
2) The controller was the first fully designed for navigating 3D environments (analog stick plus camera controls).
3) Standardized haptic feedback.
4) Standardized console FPS controls and game design.
5) Standardized multiplayer console FPS gaming.
6) Not to mention the game library that took advantage of all of the above.

Celine

Oh yes, Episode 1 Racer was good.

Acclaim was one of the biggest surprises of that generation IMO.

They were one of the worst publishers during the Mega Drive / SNES days, but they improved a lot during Gen 5.

Turok, Extreme-G and Forsaken were great games.
Shadowman too.
Without forgetting the external titles they published like Bust a Move 2/'99.

FaintDeftone

Nah man I would give that honor to the Wii personally. I love the N64 and the fact that it has Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Star Fox 64 and Banjo Kazooie alone elevates it above anything Nintendo has done since.

I have a lot more fond memories of my SNES, N64 and GameCube than my Wii.
I believe the Wii failed to keep me interested in Nintendo's games so I purchased a PS3. While it had some decent games, they all seemed bland to some degree. Someone posted a list of Wii's strongest games, but I can't help looking at it and feeling bored. Wii U was a step in the right direction, I was actually excited about the games that came out. The Wii U's library is very strong. I think I've owned probably 20 Wii U games and enjoyed majority of them immensely- there are some I haven't played and still want to. I can't really say that about the Wii.

HeelPower

People hate on the Wii(I hate the damn thing too) ,but arguably its emphasis on motion controls is an early precursor to proper VR control, and new ways to play games.It pushed MS & Sony to pursue development of motion control technologies.

Its impact faaar exceeds whatever N64 had with its Mario Camera...

Titoin

I completely disagree. There aren't many things N64 did wrong appart from cartridge. It should have been a "N64DD" from the beginning.

BadAss2961

N64 was all about the drought struggle, but that era was magical and had a few of the greatest games of all time. I'll take Ocarina, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and the AKI wrestling games over the Cube, Wii, and Wii U offerings.

Other consoles have made Nintendo damn near irrelevant to me starting with the GameCube era where the PS2 absolutely dominated it.

kunonabi

I have a lot more fond memories of my SNES, N64 and GameCube than my Wii.
I believe the Wii failed to keep me interested in Nintendo's games so I purchased a PS3. While it had some decent games, they all seemed bland to some degree. Someone posted a list of Wii's strongest games, but I can't help looking at it and feeling bored. Wii U was a step in the right direction, I was actually excited about the games that came out. The Wii U's library is very strong. I think I've owned probably 20 Wii U games and enjoyed majority of them immensely- there are some I haven't played and still want to. I can't really say that about the Wii.

I don't understand how the Wii had the blandest games when the Wii U was Nintendo at their most conservative and safe in years. Hell, a bunch of their first-party stuff was just expanding on existing DS and 3DS concepts while others had the bare minimum of effort put into them like Mario Party and Mario Tennis.

You can argue that the execution might not always be satisfactory when it comes to their wii output but bland I can't really agree with.

Anth0ny

i would kill for nintendo to release a game today that would absolutely blow me away from top to bottom like they used to do regularly during the n64 era

-MB-

For those bringing up GameCube as the worst...I think you're nuts.

I also think you're forgetting some of that greatness.

- Pikmin 1&2
- Fire Emblem
- Luigi's Mansion
- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
- Star Wars Rogue Squadron titles
- Warioware
- Paper Mario TTYD

Seriously good games.
Kicks the snot out of N64.

Never cared for Pikmin or FE, Luigi Mansion just did not interest me. Still like the RS titles on N64 more, including Episode 1 pod racer. Wario Ware is not for me.
And TTYD is a great game, but still overrated by people hailing it as the second coming.

N64 has doom 64 and turok 1. Both which run rather well for 32bit console standards and are best in class FPS.

ANd inspite of any problems the controller has (and it has MANY), it is actually usable unlike the thing that the wii uses.

chemicals

Not a chance. N64 was awesome if you were into gaming when it came out. Mario64, ZeldaOOT, plus all the great Rare stuff (blast corps!)

Dishwalla

Banned
I can live with people either loving the N64 or hating it, but this
For me, it's always been the SNES that was Nintendo's worst generation. Out of the entire library the amount of games I enjoy I can count on one hand and it's full of games I hate.

Earthbound is p nice though.

is the most insane post in this thread. By far.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
For someone who's first console was an n64, I can't disagree. That controller was a mess.

Mario 64 was great, and it had plenty of great local multiplayer titles, but I don't envy those times.

ajfoucault

I mean, coming from the legendary console that was the SNES, the N64 was, indeed, a failure. No good RPGs, no good fighting games, barely a couple of good racing games, etc.

It was a terrible move to choose cartridges over compact disks, but think about it, if it wasn't for that mistake, the PSX would have probably failed as a console, and Nintendo would still be the dominant company in the videogame industry.

I'm glad the PSX and the PS2 did as well as they did, because that established another titan in the industry, and everyone knows that, ultimately, fierce competition inside an industry benefits the customer. Monopolies do not benefit the customer, only the company holding the monopoly.

Nintendo has been lagging behind, the only console that has dominated lately was the Wii, and the Nintendo DS.

Nintendo Switch better bring some A+++ quality third-party titles if Nintendo wants to, once again, go back to their golden era (NES, and SNES) and dominate the videogame industry.

RAIDEN1

Wii U was Nintendo's worst machine along with the Virtual Boy, N64 was one of the last consoles Nintendo did that was able to compete to-to-toe with the competition at the time, ie Saturn, PSX, and you could throw in the Jaguar (but less said about that the better) game-changing games on there like Zelda, Mario 64, Goldeneye, BlastCorps, Wave Race...to name BUT a few... considering the juggernaut it was up against (the playstation) it did well as it could under the circumstances..

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Two days ago I checked a list of exclusive WiiU games and counted what remotely interested me. Just 16 games. This is inexcusable.

WiiU<GCN<NES<N64<Wii<SNES if I count exclusive games I'm remotely interested in.

nilbog21

Banned
This thread is very painful to read. Today i've learned games like Mario 64, Smash 64, and Star Fox 64 have aged poorly and are unplayable

Gartooth

i think my problem with the wii personally, and this goes along with the whole 'worst' idea, isn't that its a bad console, honestly none of their consoles (aside from the console which shall not be named) are actually bad, its just the weakest when compared to the other ones.

As far as the wii goes, specifically, it has a ton of franchise games sure, as do many of the other nintendo consoles, so it wasn't as if it had no good games, its more like the iterations of all the big games that did appear on the consoles were either very weak, or were later ports from other system's releases.

taking a look at nintendo's franchises first, would I say wii's mario kart was the best or even second best version? Not even close. How about smash bros? I personally think its the worst version. Metroid Prime 3 was good sure, but it was the weakest of the 3. Fire emblem? Absolutely no way Radiant Dawn is in the top 3 or even top 5 fire emblem games. Mario Galaxy is the exception here, and that's fine, again, all these systems aren't bad, its just on average the wii has the weakest library that I suspect wont stand the test of time.

You can continue this with the majority of Nintendo franchises and see that there simply aren't enough 'best of franchise' titles here at all to be memorable over time, compared to the gamecube or even the n64.

I completely agree on your comment about Nintendo first party on the Wii. They just didn't nail the quality of the exclusives on that system. A lot of games were either terribly disappointing or merely good but forgettable. Every other Nintendo system seemed to have a bigger amount of notable games that were at the top of their franchises. I would argue all Wii got at that level was SMG1, SMG2, and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Toxi

Banned
This thread is very painful to read. Today i've learned games like Mario 64, Smash 64, and Star Fox 64 have aged poorly and are unplayable
Smash 64 has actually aged really well. 60 FPS is much appreciated in a N64 game, and the basic gameplay framework of Smash was already there.

The real issue with Smash 64 is the massive jump in content between Smash 64 and the later games. For example, Smash 64 had one single player mode outside of Vs Mode: Classic Mode. Melee had Classic Mode, Adventure Mode, All Star Mode, Event Matches, Break the Targets, Multi-Man Melee, and Homerun Contest.

MagnesD3

i would kill for nintendo to release a game today that would absolutely blow me away from top to bottom like they used to do regularly during the n64 era

Yeah, its like they used up most of their great ideas back then and now they can only make Mario and Zelda...

Supast4r

OP is trolling when he said that Banjo isn't a good game. Also Perfect Dark and Goldeneye were mysteriously not on his list of important games. Both did tons to change fps genre that we know today.

Top Bottom