• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

Aaron

I was wondering who would hire that talented gentlemen after his leaving Irrational. Odd that he has at the very least indirectly benefited from two successful kickstarters.

Jake

Maybe I'm wrong but the progress casts were never intended to be just like The Idle Thumbs Podcast. They're deliberately minimizing discussion of actual games, though I suppose the progress casts that they made public are supposed to be representative of their real intentions. In any case, I haven't noticed a substantial change and they're sure as hell more fun to listen to than just about any other game cast out there.

The progresscasts are definitely more rough and less game/news heavy than a regular Thumbs episode. We're trying not to analyse it too much because I think that can lead down a dangerous road, but the Progresscasts are (on average) shorter, less focused on drilling down into a subject, and also (by virtue of being a cast dedicated direct to Kickstarter backers) address the audience way more. I don't know what a "real" new Idle Thumbs episode will sound like, but those surface level aspects will probably be changing back to something closer to the old casts.

Congrats Chris. I know this might seem selfesh, but I hope working at DF doesn't affect what he can/can't say in podcasts.

Pffft. I doubt it'll have any affect at all besides teasing us DF backers of stuff that he wants to talk about but can't. :)

I'd be interested to see the number of people who supported both Idle and DF for Kickstarter... has to be 90-something percent.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Double Fine should've announced this before the end of their kickstarter, I'm sure it would've given them a nice boost.
Congrats Chris.

Shaneus

Wasn't that part of a song? Stop Doing Interviews?
Yes! Señor Super Douche. So good.

PS. Are we far off some kind of (either) Brütal Rëmo/Boostonauts/Chris Fandango 'chop appearing? It'd be awesome, but I'm too lazy to even try.

Edit: This took me 5 minutes. Which is 4.5min more than I should've spent on it.
hEzgQ.jpg

Mar

In any case, I haven't noticed a substantial change and they're sure as hell more fun to listen to than just about any other game cast out there.

I think that's the take away - it's still the best cast out there. I do feel it has changed though but this change happened at the tail end of the old Idle Thumbs too in that Famous drives a lot of the conversations whereas previously Chris was the main speaker. And Jake gets interrupted quite often by Famous so there's less witty banter between Chris and Jake.

Nothing against Sean or anything I'm just pointing out that from my perspective the dynamic has changed and I did prefer the old style. In fact, the old style creeps back in whenever Scoops is on board but that's not very often.

Again, the take away being I still love the cast and consider it the best around. I don't think anything should change. I just 'like their old stuff better than their new stuff'.

Edit:

We're trying not to analyse it too much because I think that can lead down a dangerous road

I think this is very important, which is why I always hesitated saying the above (as mentioned I have felt this way since the tail of the old Idle Thumbs). The moment these three guys think about what they're doing too much it will lose the magic. Just keep freestyling those blumfolds.

I do feel it has changed though but this change happened at the tail end of the old Idle Thumbs too in that Famous drives a lot of the conversations whereas previously Chris was the main speaker. And Jake gets interrupted quite often by Famous so there's less witty banter between Chris and Jake.

Glad I'm not the only one. Any Thumbs is better than no Thumbs, but if Mr. Vanaman could let the other two have a little more air time, the show would be far better for it. I mean, there have been times when Jake would start to tell a story and Sean would wind up finishing it for him. That's not chemistry, that's just being impolite.

And not to completely dump on Sean, because I do think he can be an entertaining speaker, but I think most people would agree that Chris often had the most to say on the interesting, head-up-your-own-ass topics that people loved the show for. That his presence has been noticeably diminished is a shame.

Shaneus

I think that's the take away - it's still the best cast out there. I do feel it has changed though but this change happened at the tail end of the old Idle Thumbs too in that Famous drives a lot of the conversations whereas previously Chris was the main speaker. And Jake gets interrupted quite often by Famous so there's less witty banter between Chris and Jake.

Nothing against Sean or anything I'm just pointing out that from my perspective the dynamic has changed and I did prefer the old style. In fact, the old style creeps back in whenever Scoops is on board but that's not very often.

Again, the take away being I still love the cast and consider it the best around. I don't think anything should change. I just 'like their old stuff better than their new stuff'.
Yeah, I'm a relative latecomer but I think somewhat the same way... the older ones somehow are more listenable and more likely to suck you in than the newer ones. I just could never put my finger on it. And to clarify to others, I'm a two-hundo donater so I'm far from jumping off this train ride, just agreeing that the dynamic definitely changed from IT to TITP.

Shaneus

It was foretold:
5301382940_51006581d9_z.jpg

(I know it's been posted here before, but it's more relevant now)

So, when's the next thingy? And do we know when the 'cast proper is starting?

Ledsen

I haven't noticed Sean taking over or interrupting people. He does talk more than Nick did, so that does change the dynamic of the pod, but he's a really smart and entertaining guy (just like the others) so I don't have any problems with it.

Does this have an impact on Idle Thumbs?

No way. Chris must've known about his new job before doing the Kickstarter, and he wouldn't have done it if that was the case.

Sloane

Banned
I haven't noticed Sean taking over or interrupting people. He does talk more than Nick did, so that does change the dynamic of the pod, but he's a really smart and entertaining guy (just like the others) so I don't have any problems with it.
I think he sometimes sounds a little bit less, hmm, humble than the other two / four guys. Not sure if that's the right word, it's just, he often tells his stories in a way that makes me wonder: Is that really true? I don't know, I'm sure he's a great guy but he definitely changed the dynamic more than just a bit.

Glad I'm not the only one. Any Thumbs is better than no Thumbs, but if Mr. Vanaman could let the other two have a little more air time, the show would be far better for it. I mean, there have been times when Jake would start to tell a story and Sean would wind up finishing it for him. That's not chemistry, that's just being impolite.

And not to completely dump on Sean, because I do think he can be an entertaining speaker, but I think most people would agree that Chris often had the most to say on the interesting, head-up-your-own-ass topics that people loved the show for. That his presence has been noticeably diminished is a shame.

Disagree. I don't think there is much truth behind this line of thinking.

Would also disagree that show is better when dominated by Chris. Chris has a particular way of addressing a topic or point, but Jake and Sean and Gaynor's are equally worth hearing. In the early shows it often felt like they were not given the chance to do, as Boost tends to not deliver the most concise statements when presenting his points.

Spwn

Chris Remo Action News said:
“I love this game,” he said, “But this last level should be harder, and the kid should scream more about his face!” I knew this guy had the magic touch

This made me giggle. Congratulations Chris - now I'm off to the DF boards to be managed.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chris looks like Edgar Wright in one of those old pics

Shaneus

Oh shit... that time Remo spoke of where he ran into Schafer wearing that t-shirt. It's totes that first photo!

I feel like some supersleuth or puzzle agent.

And Remo tested Psychonauts? Nice.

But although he's CM now, I hope that in some kind of Valve-notebook way he can stick his finger into perhaps a few other pies while no-one else is looking (or at least be encouraged to do so).

Shit, that reminds me. Needs to stock up on that DF merch I've been inches away from for so many years.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Congrats Chris.
Fuck Chris.

This joke reminds me of that one time when we also ended the podcast

Top Bottom