• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If MS left the console business, could anyone fill the void?

Could anyone step into Microsoft’s shoes?

• Apple

Votes: 43 13.4%
  • Epic

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Google

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Samsung

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • Tencent

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • Valve

Votes: 107 33.2%
  • Tencent

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • None (it’s too late)

Votes: 141 43.8%

• Total voters

dmaul1114

Neo Member
Don’t really see a need for anyone. Nintendo does their own thing. PlayStation has their exclusives (with late ports of most to PC) and covers the third party AAA and indies for people who don’t want a gaming PC.

Xbox’s biggest issue, IMO, has just not having anything to offer over PlayStation or PC. There’s not really a need for a second AAA game focused console as far as I can tell. Nintendo and PlayStation pretty much cover every genre/graphic style. PC covers everything but Nintendo for people into PC gaming.

simpatico

Gold Member
I don't think it makes sense anymore since the Playstation is basically a boutique PC. When Microsoft got into the market this really wasn't the case. A competitor couldn't just white label a Steam Box and throw together a Windows wrapper like they could today.

Last edited:

kevboard

Valve and Microsoft will probably release similar systems in the future.
Valve will bring back the Steam Machines (hopefully under a new name like Steam Station or something), and Microsoft will make more PC like open "consoles" with a gaming frontend that can switch into a windows desktop like the Deck currently can.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
So just to be clear, all those weekly threads with layoffs at various publishers doesn't mean the industry is shaky?

Just to be clear, I do not measure the current state of the industry based on fucking feelings..

No time in the industry have we NOT had layoffs, using this odd logic no time has the industry ever been stable (no fucking industry is stable using this fucking logic)

So if you are looking for some weird perfect utopia type thing where no one gets fired and kumbaya is being sung by the camp fire, maybe you don't have a place actually measuring the state of the industry.

So sorry man, you want to make some emotional teary argument, about a subject based on objective data.

I show you records broken in sales, you show me tears
I show you record profits made, you show me crying lol
I show you new IP made, you cry more for the ones lost
I show you a new team formed, you cry over the one that closed lol

We are not measuring the same things. You want to cry over this, thus you don't want to use any fucking data cause it breaks your whole narrative.

I can only discuss this with real objective data that can be measured to support or disprove something about the state of the industry.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
u0h1Oxp.jpeg

I hope they don’t bow out. Xbox is where we play MP games. Say what you want about the company and its direction but imo MP games play better on Xbox consoles. Note: I predominantly play fighters and shooters. Idk what’s up with PlayStation and it’s higher input latency

Last edited:

TYRiAX

No:

Apple already makes stupid money from App Store - and most if not all the major money makers have iOS versions already (COD, EAFC etc) so why invest in dedicated hardware to play regular games better?

Epic are having a hard enough time making the EGS profitable without the extra burden of hardware dev.

Google crashed and burned already with Stadia.

Fuck Tencent.

Perhaps:

Samsung is kind of like Apple in that it has the hardware knowhow and fuckloads of cash, but unlike apple doesnt already make bucket loads in App sales as most Samsung users would buy from Google Play. They would have to be willing to eat billions while getting it setup and the risk is probably too high.

Valve is probably the most likely in that they will just keep iterating on the Steamdeck, and users who want to play on TV will just dock it.

Last edited:

xanaum

Neo Member
If I’m not mistaken, Elon Musk is really into games. He’s shown to be a fan of stuff like Elden Ring. I think he’d shake up the gaming industry if he got involved.

A console without power cables that also works as a Starlink receiver and is integrated with a possible Twitter gaming platform would be pretty interesting.

Oof85

Banned
Just to be clear, I do not measure the current state of the industry based on fucking feelings..

No time in the industry have we NOT had layoffs, using this odd logic no time has the industry ever been stable (no fucking industry is stable using this fucking logic)

So if you are looking for some weird perfect utopia type thing where no one gets fired and kumbaya is being sung by the camp fire, maybe you don't have a place actually measuring the state of the industry.

So sorry man, you want to make some emotional teary argument, about a subject based on objective data.

I show you records broken in sales, you show me tears
I show you record profits made, you show me crying lol
I show you new IP made, you cry more for the ones lost
I show you a new team formed, you cry over the one that closed lol

We are not measuring the same things. You want to cry over this, thus you don't want to use any fucking data cause it breaks your whole narrative.

I can only discuss this with real objective data that can be measured to support or disprove something about the state of the industry.
You're dismissing the numbers I'm giving you, not feelings.

In less than two years we've lost 24k jobs, that's quantifiable data. You shaking your head and going "nope" doesn't change that.

Going back to 2019, I saw that 1500 jobs being lost was a notable data point.

But oh yeah, everything is fine.

Of course there's always someone being let go in any industry but if 24,000 jobs in 19 months aren't an outlier that speaks to industry health, idk what to tell you because the fingers in the ears are blocking me out.

But yeah, be dismissive again.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
You're dismissing the numbers I'm giving you, not feelings.

Even with your edits, it doesn't change that the industry has records profits across all major publishers.

Get over it bud, you are measuring in tears with this thing lol

Top Bottom