• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were at Take-Two, would you sell GTA:SA at $59.99?

Alcibiades

sonycowboy said:
I stopped reading right there.
ok, it was an exaggeration to make a point, but I think there's gonna be people numbering in the hundreds of thousands buying 2 copies, and for sure in the tens of thousands...

I'll tell you one thing, San Andreas would have had the holiday season over Halo 2 in terms of sales numbers normally, but with so much hype over the "CE", I bet Halo 2 has a good chance of outselling GTA this year, if not definitely closing the gap that exists between Halo 1 and either Vice City or GTA 3.

efralope said:
ok, it was an exaggeration to make a point, but I think there's gonna be people numbering in the hundreds of thousands buying 2 copies, and for sure in the tens of thousands...

I also severely doubt in the hundreds of thousands. You think 10-20% of all initial buyers will buy both? NOT. And if there's anywhere close to tens of thousands, I think the sheep aren't with the PS2 anymore...

Admit it, you're just pulling numbers out of your ass.

LukeSmith

sonycowboy said:
I also severely doubt in the hundreds of thousands. You think 10-20% of all initial buyers will buy both? NOT. And if there's anywhere close to tens of thousands, I think the sheep aren't with the PS2 anymore...

Admit it, you're just pulling numbers out of your ass.

IAWTTP

Deku Tree

efralope said:

Why would you buy both? If I understand correctly, inside the CE case is the regular Halo 2 box. Is that not true? Is there stuff you get with the regular version that is not in the CE?

kevm3

I wouldn't raise the prices. If rockstar starts it, then all sorts of other developers will start raising their prices. It's human nature to think your own shit is elite, so what developer is honestly going to say to himself,"Fuck, I didn't make an elite game, so I'm not going to raise the price on this"? Hell, after all the 40 dollar games in the ps generation, 50 dollars is a bit expensive to me, but acceptable. 60 is ridiculous. Props to rockstar for not using the loyalty of its fans to siphon some extra dollars from their pockets. THat's what builds and MAINTAINS loyalty.

Chi-Town

I really have to find my old Toys R Us receipt. I could've sworn it was $50 but I've been searching the net and found this thing on IGN that says it was going for $70 at some stores and $60 at Toys R Us.

border

Mario64 wasn't $50. I can confirm from memory that it was generally around $59.99, but if you like I can go dig into the stack of old Next-Generation magazines and find an EB ad showing the $60+ pricetag.

snapty00

Banned
Chi-Town said:
No, it wasn't. I got mine at Toys R Us the first day it came out for $50.
Look dude, the MSRP was $70 whether you got it for $50 or not. You could've stolen the damn thing and the MSRP would've still been $70.

MARIO'S GREATEST ADVENTURE LAUNCHES NINTENDO 64
Industry Experts Hail Super Mario 64 as "Best Video Game of All Time"
REDMOND, Wash., September 29, 1996 -- He flies, he crawls, he does back-flip somersaults, he hangs from rafters, he climbs trees...he's Mario. The world's favorite plumber returns to redefine how video games will be played in his most revolutionary adventure ever -- Super Mario 64.

Nintendo 64, the most powerful home video game system ever produced, launches in the U.S. today at a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $199.95. Already named by many industry experts as "the best video game of all time," Super Mario 64 is now available for the system at a MSRP of $69.95.

Created by the world's most revered video game designer, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, Super Mario 64 showcases a Mario of extraordinary proportions. Combining legendary game play elements of the classic Super Mario Bros. series with spotless texture-mapped, instantly rendered graphics, the 64-megabit, game is a free-form 3-D adventure in a virtual world unlike anything ever seen or experienced in the history of the entertainment or video game industries.

"Taking advantage of the hardware-based graphics of Nintendo 64, Super Mario 64 is the perfect game to show-off the capabilities of our 64-bit hardware system," says Peter Main, Nintendo of America's executive vice president, sales and marketing. "A revolutionary system is nothing without a revolutionary game, and Mr. Miyamoto has created another masterpiece."

SUPER MARIO 64 GRAPHICS In addition to unprecedented speed, the look and feel of Super Mario 64's graphics are simply jaw-dropping. Brilliant shapes and colors begin with the opening screen, where players manipulate a computer-rendered face of Mario, and continue to the end of the game with the final defeat of Mario's arch-nemesis Bowser. Each character is made of seamless polygons, eliminating unrealistic gaps seen in 32-bit system characters. The graphics processing speed of the Nintendo 64 creates a smooth flow of visuals unequaled in the video game industry.

Players are immersed in the beautifully rendered backgrounds of Super Mario 64 as they battle 3-D enemies in realistic underwater explorations, haunted houses, snowy mountaintops and various other levels. These advancements in video game graphics are possible due to the proprietary 64-bit graphic technology inherent in Nintendo 64.

SUPER MARIO 64 SOUND For the first time ever, Mario has a voice. The opening title screen of Super Mario 64 greets players with "It's me, Mario!" Then, Mario grunts when he gets hit, emits different yelps of joy when he executes his multitude of moves, says "Here we go!" upon finding a star, and yawns and snores when he falls asleep.

Designed to create as realistic an environment as possible, each world has music and sound effects specifically scored for it, from the soothing New Age theme of the water worlds to the eerie and mysterious strains of the haunted mansion.

SUPER MARIO 64 GAME PLAY The story begins as Mario is invited to the Mushroom Castle by Princess Toadstool. Upon arrival, Mario finds that his arch-nemesis, Bowser, has kidnapped the princess and scattered the 120 Power Stars which protect the castle. Mario must journey through 15 vast worlds and numerous hidden areas located in and around the castle to find the stars which will help him defeat Bowser, rescue the princess and save the Mushroom Kingdom. The revolutionary Nintendo 64 controller, featuring an analog Control Stick, allows for full 360 degree movement of Mario in his new 3-D world. With the Control Stick, players have subtle maneuvering capabilities not possible with conventional controllers. A slight push on the Control Stick and Mario tip-toes; a full push and he runs. There are more than 30 different possible actions which Mario performs, from crawling to swimming to flying. Additionally, there are six different camera perspectives available for players to use during the game.

Graphics aside, the most legendary games are judged on their unique game play. With more than 100 hours of game play, Super Mario 64 features some of the most inventive and entertaining experiences, including hanging from and swinging across ceiling rafters, riding and controlling the movement of a big, blue, swimming dinosaur, climbing up the moving parts inside of a grandfather clock, power jumping onto the roof of a haunted mansion, and of course battling Bowser -- not once but three times.

Throughout each stage, there are red, green and blue colored blocks containing power-up caps that give Mario special abilities. The red wing cap makes Mario fly, the green cap morphs him into "metallic" Mario enabling him to walk under water, and the blue vanish cap makes him invisible, enabling him to walk through walls. Additional game play elements include: 1-Up mushrooms that grant an extra life, coins, stars, falling bridges, and warp zones. There are also hidden characters and secret surprises along the way.

ABOUT NINTENDO The Nintendo 64 system is a product of the worldwide joint development and license agreement combining Nintendo's expertise in video game development with Silicon Graphics Inc.'s (NYSE:SGI) renowned visual computing technologies as used to create special effects in numerous blockbuster motion pictures. Developed in partnership with SGI, the revolutionary Nintendo 64 system launched in Japan on June 23 where it sold more than one million units within the first ten weeks. Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan is the leader in the worldwide $15 billion retail video game industry. Nintendo and its international subsidiaries have sold more than one billion video games worldwide. As a wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Washington, serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere, where more than 40 percent of American homes own a Nintendo System.

For more information about Super Mario 64, Nintendo 64, or any other Nintendo product, log on to Nintendo Power Source on America On-line (Keyword: NINTENDO) or Nintendo's World Wide Web site on the Internet (HTTP://WWW.NINTENDO.COM

Wait, let me guess: Nintendo didn't know the MSRP either, right? You and only you knew the MSRP.

border

Well, I got beaten by the press release, but since I wasted time taking the picture then I might as well post it:

mario.jpg

kevm3

This Michael Pachter is probably some fucking bookish suit who only knows 'profit maximizing strategies' and doesn't know shit about the videogaming business.

snapty00

Banned
kevm3 said:
This Michael Pachter is probably some fucking bookish suit who only knows 'profit maximizing strategies' and doesn't know shit about the videogaming business.
:lol
The elitist "I AM HARDCORE AND THE *ANAL*YST IS NOT" school of thought returns.

kevm3

snapty00 said:
:lol
The elitist "I AM HARDCORE AND THE *ANAL*YST IS NOT" school of thought returns.

The oh shit! I made a funny but I'm the only one laughing school of jokes returns!

I never said I knew more than the analyst. Rockstar has their reasons not to raise their price for GTA. They believe they can make more than enough profits keeping the prices at their level... Their strategies have worked for them to create one of the bestselling games ever, so obviously they know what they are doing. And it's a good thing they aren't screwing their fans by raising prices to get more money in the short term.

evil ways

No N64 game was under $60, at least during the first few months. I remember paying anywhere between $64.99 to $72.99 for Mario 64, Shadows of the Empire and Killer Instinct Gold.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
If game prices go up, the only thing publishers are going to get out of it is a fruit basket and card from Blockbuster thanking them for making them so much money on rentals.

Top Bottom