• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Pikmin 2 review

snapty00

Banned
I've very undecided about this game. While the original was okay, I found it to get pretty boring after a couple of days of playing it. Maybe I'll wait until it's $30.

8bit

Knows the Score
I've just seen part of the ad that will run for this game. I think it might prove to be rather memorable.

I had no incentive of even trying the first game until it had been out for a few weeks and I thought I might rent it and see what it was like. It turned out I really liked it and ended up buying it. Awesome game. I'm glad I missed out one spaceship part the first play through as it gave me a lot incentive to play through the game again and get all 30 spaceship pieces and also get to see the final stage and boss. But the trouble with the first game is that it was rather short and had no replay value. Pikmin 2 looks to improve on this and so many other things that I can't wait to get it.

MaddenNFL64

I was guessing a 9.0, so this made me grin :).

I never got all the ship parts in Pikmin, and now I really want to play it again (haven't played it in years). I'm so glad I kept it all this time :).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
MaddenNFL64 said:
I was guessing a 9.0, so this made me grin :).

I never got all the ship parts in Pikmin, and now I really want to play it again (haven't played it in years). I'm so glad I kept it all this time :).

I've played it through 2 or 3 times now, it's really good to play, then have an enormous break and then play again.

Maybe I will play it through again while waiting for the PAL release :(

AniHawk

catfish said:
I've played it through 2 or 3 times now, it's really good to play, then have an enormous break and then play again.

That's what I did. Last night I started playing Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin after forgetting all about how the games work.

Emperor Bulbax owned me... I beat him once, but by then I was down to 14 Pikmin- not nearly enough to take the final ship part back. I remember easily beating him on the first run though.

Alex

I never had any problems plowing through Pikmin, fairly easy stuff. But these people I hear about not only beating it in like 10 days or so, but without losing any Pikmin? Insanity

Granted, I only beat it like three times from December 2001 to now, and wasn't going for a perfect run or anything, but the most I widdled it down to was 22-23 days or so, and I bleed Pikmin like crazy.

Obviously, considering some of the challenges in Pikmin 2, and parts Brady mentioned, I'll have to change that.

But in Pikmin 1? Forget it, no reason. I've been replaying it, and one example would be the Repair Bolt in the Distant Spring. AFAIK, you have to take yellows over to pull it down off of a high ledge, and blues to bring it back through the water.

I'll just mass a horde of 50 or so yellow Pikmin and parade them over the tiny, tiny bridge, dozens falling over the egde to their doom.

Also, when they pull it down from the ledge, a cool bit with the physics is they hit the ground hard, Pikmin go spilling everywhere and the bolt rolls off into the water.

I basicly lost the second half of them from that considering most went into the water, and I don't want to waste precious time rapid-b calling them back to shore.

Evil? Kinda, and you feel pretty bad everytime you lose Pikmin, poor little bastards just wanna help you out, but damnit, I wanna get my Day meter down into the teens.

AniHawk

Alex said:
I never had any problems plowing through Pikmin, fairly easy stuff. But these people I hear about not only beating it in like 10 days or so, but without losing any Pikmin? Insanity

Granted, I only beat it like three times from December 2001 to now, and wasn't going for a perfect run or anything, but the most I widdled it down to was 22-23 days or so, and I bleed Pikmin like crazy.

Obviously, considering some of the challenges in Pikmin 2, and parts Brady mentioned, I'll have to change that.

But in Pikmin 1? Forget it, no reason. I've been replaying it, and one example would be the Repair Bolt in the Distant Spring. AFAIK, you have to take yellows over to pull it down off of a high ledge, and blues to bring it back through the water.

I'll just mass a horde of 50 or so yellow Pikmin and parade them over the tiny, tiny bridge, dozens falling over the egde to their doom.

Also, when they pull it down from the ledge, a cool bit with the physics is they hit the ground hard, Pikmin go spilling everywhere and the bolt rolls off into the water.

I basicly lost the second half of them from that considering most went into the water, and I don't want to waste precious time rapid-b calling them back to shore.

Evil? Kinda, and you feel pretty bad everytime you lose Pikmin, poor little bastards just wanna help you out, but damnit, I wanna get my Day meter down into the teens.

You know, if you rotate the C-stick fast enough, you can get them into a tight little circle, and have them follow you across bridges without falling off. I was able to do it with 100 Red Pikmin.

Alex

I know. I abuse the C-stick like crazy. But it's not a normal twig bridge, it's like, a super slim little stone bridge on the west side of the Spring if I can recall.

That's nothing. Once a friend of mine and I were playing through it at the same time. I got scared of Far Oasis or whatever and didn't advance. He made it to the final showdown. He spent a day opening up the path to the king beetle and had to go. I of course murdered all of his hundreds of pikmin and saved over the game while he was away.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
AniHawk said:
I once had so many Red Pikmin, I took out 100 and led them all into water to watch them die. :)
If you throw them in, one at a time.... its even more amusing.

See, this is where Pikmin really allows multiple solutions, some better than others. The better solution to this puzzle is to throw 20 blue Pikmin up on the ledge that goes around to the top of the ledge you're talking about. Dismiss them with X, then run around the other side and call them. They won't fall off the ramp because there's a little edge that stops them. So just walk easily across the bridge and the selected Pikmin will slowly make their way up the ramp to the ledge. Make sure you don't go too far, or they'll jump off the ledge. Get them close enough to the repair bolt and then dismiss them and they'll safely carry it back to the ship, giving you time to check up on another troop of Pikmin that you left doing some other task.

Pikmin can be beaten in 9 days. It can also be beaten without losing a single Pikmin. I'd say doing it in 9 days is easier than doing it without losing a Pikmin. I've only done a deathless playthrough in 12 days, although I downloaded a day of someone's 9-day deathless Pikmin run and I never thought to use a certain strategy that definitely would have helped me with some parts. I'm taking my time with my first Pikmin 2 playthrough--I want to enjoy every moment. Yet once I complete the game, the self-challenges begin.

Thumbs down for CG scenes, no matter how well they're done. I thought we were through with those when this generation began. I've got my fingers crossed for the next gen to no longer need CG scenes.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Who cares if it's CG or in-game? As long as it's done with style, and that it's done well, that's all I care about!

Top Bottom