• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Reviews Jak 3

Socreges

Banned
Basically, there are more vehicles and there is a bigger emphasis on shooting.
As if the platforming didn't get neglected enough. Count me out. I never found the shooting aspect of Jak II much fun.

acklame

well i'll be grabbing this one...(i was gonna get it regardless of the reviews anyways, i loved jak II and loathed jak 1 :p)

Socreges

Banned
Haha, just read the thread. Good GOD are you defensive, dark10x. The guy wasn't [initially] bashing the PS2 at all, OR suggesting that Nintendo introduced the concept of no loading times. Relax.

Kseutron

pilonv1 said:
I'm sure in a few years we're going to look back at this "NINES ALL ROUND REVIEW SCORE FIRE SALE" and wonder what the fuck people were on. Jak II's 9.5 is a great example.
ur damn right

gta 9.9

ratchet 9.6

jak 3 9.6

omg...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know if Jak 3 is worthy of 9.6, but then again, the demo is really good, great looking, action packed, has some nice platforming, and atmosphere tons better than any previous Jak game, due to really crazy good looking cutscenes and much better music. I find it a bit funny that some are so offensive about the score it got. Like if it's impossible that the game is actually that good, and I'm pretty sure noone has even played it yet. From what I've seen, I think it could really end up being one of the best action/adventure/platforming games.

Also, Speevy, since you don't have a PS2, please at least attempt to be informed before arguing anything about it. Honestly, you sound like you're just trolling, repeating the same kind of BS as people insisting that Xbox has only one game worth buying or some such crap.

Socreges

Banned
Marconelly said:
Also, Speevy, since you don't have a PS2, please at least attempt to be informed before arguing anything about it. Honestly, you sound like you're just trolling, repeating the same kind of BS as people insisting that Xbox has only one game worth buying or some such crap.
PS2 owner or not, Speevy has been right. And he certainly didn't seem to be trolling. You and dark seem to be taking the worst possible interpretation. Maybe there's history between you guys, because I don't see the cause for emotion.

"I'm sure in a few years we're going to look back at this "NINES ALL ROUND REVIEW SCORE FIRE SALE" and wonder what the fuck people were on. Jak II's 9.5 is a great example."

Agreed. GTA:SA's 9.9 is a bit too high, but R&C3 (regardless of how much I like the series) and Jak2/3 do not deserve 9.5/6's. Simple as that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, things got a little heated last night, didn't they? I knew I shouldn't have posted while I was pissed off about something else. :p

Ranger X

Seeing the RIDICULOUS amount of Jak hate here, it's GAF i don't believe!!
You suck guys, look at you.

Who are you seriously?
1- frustrated people from the change of looks between Jak1 and 2?
2- frustrated people that though Jak2 was cheap but in fact it's that you're a wussie at games?
3- can't drive the fucking aircraft full speed without crashing? ( i can!!)
4- you don't like action-platformers but you still fuck around Jak threads to troll?

Wyzdom said:
Seeing the RIDICULOUS amount of Jak hate here, it's GAF i don't believe!!
You suck guys, look at you.

Who are you seriously?
1- frustrated people from the change of looks between Jak1 and 2?
2- frustrated people that though Jak2 was cheap but in fact it's that you're a wussie at games?
3- can't drive the fucking aircraft full speed without crashing? ( i can!!)
4- you don't like action-platformers but you still fuck around Jak threads to troll?

1 and 5. 5 because Jak 2 simply sucked and wasn't fun.

Ranger X

GAF is TEH Jak2 hater. lol
This game was great and there must be something wrong in this forum because this game should have sold 3 copies or something but it's already a greatest hits lol

So I can't hold an opinion? Is that it? I beat Jak 2, didn't think it was difficult, rather I just didn't like a lot of the missions. Thought the game tried to do too much and failed in a lot of ways, mostly the lame hoverboard and mech missions. Also, the always-tedious "chase down some person" or "get across town in some matter of time" wasn't fun either.

evilromero said:
So I can't hold an opinion? Is that it? I beat Jak 2, didn't think it was difficult, rather I just didn't like a lot of the missions. Thought the game tried to do too much and failed in a lot of ways, mostly the lame hoverboard and mech missions. Also, the always-tedious "chase down some person" or "get across town in some matter of time" wasn't fun either.

Well you don't like free-roaming game. You know, you can NOT LIKE a genre, that doesn't mean the game sucks. That's the problem here at GAF, if you do not like the game, then it sucks, and everybody who say the contrary is wrong. Too much elitist.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
This game will be mine. Jak games looks great and are good fun (albeit generic at times). Still, they looks GREAT!

Actually, you're getting into fuzzy territory yourself when you try to define free-roaming. To me, a game like Mario Sunshine is just as free-roaming as Jak 2. And I don't dislike free-roaming games (trying to stick to what your definition is), but recent examples like GTA and Jak 2 completely lack any kind of real structure or development (other than the stronger narrative in Jak 2). Wasn't Jak 1 just as "free-roaming" as Jak 2? All they did was let you jump into citizen's cars and fly around the city, it didn't make it any more free roaming. You still had to use "portals" to get to the levels, either by taking a dropship to a location or going through a teleporter to begin a level.

evilromero said:
Actually, you're getting into fuzzy territory yourself when you try to define free-roaming. To me, a game like Mario Sunshine is just as free-roaming as Jak 2. And I don't dislike free-roaming games (trying to stick to what your definition is), but recent examples like GTA and Jak 2 completely lack any kind of real structure or development (other than the stronger narrative in Jak 2). Wasn't Jak 1 just as "free-roaming" as Jak 2? All they did was let you jump into citizen's cars and fly around the city, it didn't make it any more free roaming. You still had to use "portals" to get to the levels, either by taking a dropship to a location or going through a teleporter to begin a level.

It's free roaming in a sens that you're free in the world. SMS isn't free roaming, it's a hub world. The missions you do in SMS are in other area, not in the same "hub". In Jak 2, you do the missions in this same hub.

Axsider

Banned
B00020LZAM.01-A1VC38T7YXB528.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

One of the best games and franchises this gen.
And better than Rachet imo
Nice to see all the haters here (Rachet-fans, Mario-defenders)

Gattsu25

Banned
Axsider
134147758.jpg

[Agrees with IGN review]

makes sense.

evilromero said:
1 and 5 simply because I was frustrated due to me sucking at the game and I also couldn't manage to control the vehicles for shit, despite numerous other people having no difficulty doing so. Yet, I continue to post in Jak threads knowing full well that my opinion is misinformed due to my lack of experience from playing the game (and must be padded with some cliche bullshit complaints) and that I would have never enjoyed it in the first place due to my lack of interest in action platformers.

olimario

Banned
Jak is a worse offender than Ratched when it comes to good 'platformers'.
If Jak is a platformer, DMC is too. The focus of the game is combat and the controls and weight of the character don't lend themselves well to platforming.

Gattsu25

Banned
because the only platformer, this gen, with good character weight and momentum is Mario…we've all heard your opinion before :b

olimario said:
If Jak is a platformer, DMC is too. The focus of the game is combat and the controls and weight of the character don't lend themselves well to platforming.

but but but it has cru-crum-crumbling pla-t-for-fforms.

dark10x

olimario said:

Well, Jak 1 was a platformer (though I didn't really like it).

olimario

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
because the only platformer, this gen, with good character weight and momentum is Mario…we've all heard your opinion before :b

It's the damn truth. It's also the only platformer this gen to really be a platformer with well-designed, complex and challenging stages.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PS2 owner or not, Speevy has been right. And he certainly didn't seem to be trolling.
He may have been right in his original statement, but the way he sprinkled it with all kinds of poetic ridiculousness in the later posts was just rolleyes worthy.
No dark10x, Sony has released 2 platforms that spare the player not one overly long load screen. Remember that joke video about RE4 on the PS2? That wasn't an exaggeration.

dark10x

olimario said:
It's the damn truth. It's also the only platformer this gen to really be a platformer with well-designed, complex and challenging stages.

I don't agree with the stage comment...or at least, I don't FULLY agree.

Mario had SOME very solid stages...but the second half of the game was absolutely ABYSMAL to the max. I absolutely hated those later areas...

olimario said:

Jak 2 is a game that balances platforming and action. Whether you liked the game or not its still a platformer.

Gattsu25

Banned
olimario said:
It's the damn truth.

That's well and good.

Littleberu said:
Well you don't like [. . .]. You know, you can NOT LIKE [. . .], that doesn't mean [. . .] sucks. That's the problem here at GAF, if you do not like [. . .], then it sucks, and everybody who say the contrary is wrong. Too much elitist.

olimario

Banned
dark10x said:
I don't agree with the stage comment...or at least, I don't FULLY agree.

Mario had SOME very solid stages...but the second half of the game was absolutely ABYSMAL to the max. I absolutely hated those later areas...

Mario wasn't the complete experience it should have been, I agree. It needed another year in the oven and a lot more attention.

That said, the good in the game is extremely good and IS the only good platforming this gen.

Gattsu25

Banned
Oli, I think the issue is that you have an extreme lack of tact in your method of expressing your opinion...and the way you present your opinion makes it sound as though you feel it is a FACT when it really is just the lone opinion of a Nintendo fan trying to show his unwavering disdain for all platformers not Mario in a thread that has nothing to do with Nintendo or Mario

Now...about this lack of tact...I admit to this as well yet still try to correct you. Why?

Because I'm a hypocrite

dark10x

olimario said:
Mario wasn't the complete experience it should have been, I agree. It needed another year in the oven and a lot more attention.

That said, the good in the game is extremely good and IS the only good platforming this gen.

Oh yes, the good parts of the game are some of the best platforming you'll encounter this gen...

I enjoyed Maximo 2 and Klonoa 2 a bit more, though, I must admit. Mario's play mechanics are the best of the bunch, though...but the rest of the design didn't appeal to me.

The game got 4.5 star rating in the last OPM. OPM gave 3.5 to Jak II FYI.

Pros: Interesting story (especially for a platform game) and loads of variety
Cons: Some messy controls; some potty writing

SantaC

dark10x said:
Oh yes, the good parts of the game are some of the best platforming you'll encounter this gen...

I enjoyed Maximo 2 and Klonoa 2 a bit more, though, I must admit. Mario's play mechanics are the best of the bunch, though...but the rest of the design didn't appeal to me.

mario's bonus stages was the best thing with the game. Very challenging and well done.

Top Bottom