• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Tease: Tomorrow's PS2 Top Story = Shocking

Zilch said:
You guys are some bitter assholes.

Well considering that Tim Schaffer last games were on pc and the xbox is more close to being a pc than the other two, i think i have to agree with them, even if this is not the typical point & click adventure game......its still a tim schaffer game...

psycho1.jpg

laugh.gif

FoneBone

I have to ask -- what "evidence" is there that the game sucks, other than what oxygen said months ago? He could be right, but why treat everything he says as gospel?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Didn't we know that Majesco picked this game up to be published already? Sure, it's coming out on Xbox, PC and now PS2 as well, but so what? It's not as big a deal as IGN (or the fanboys) made it out to be.

Tork got picked up by Ubi Soft and Stranger by EA. All these former Xbox exclusives were dropped by MS, but will still find their way onto the Xbox (and PS2) eventually.

Deku Tree

open_mouth_ said:
Didn't we know that Majesco picked this game up to be published already? Sure, it's coming out on Xbox, PC and now PS2 as well, but so what? It's not as big a deal as IGN (or the fanboys) made it out to be.

Tork got picked up by Ubi Soft and Stranger by EA. All these former Xbox exclusives were dropped by MS, but will still find their way onto the Xbox (and PS2) eventually.

But is it still coming out on xbox?

calder

Who cares about the game, this thread was awesome enough to sort of justified itself and the crappy IGN hype story.

I just love how all the tame, low-end guesses were still way more interesting than the truth. But yeah Scarface is still the standard by which all stupid mystery hype phenomenons must be judged.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Deku Tree said:
But is it still coming out on xbox?

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't (since it was already so far along in development) unless Sony breaks out the money hats (which I *seriously* doubt that they would)

Deku Tree

Tellaerin said:
Um, the fact that MS canned it?

But what does that mean? MS canned TFLO, so did that stink too?

This isn't the kind of game that I see selling on the xbox. Maybe MS canned it because it was taking too long and they realized this kind of game isn't exactly the average xbox gamers cup of tea.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
It was Psychonauts?

:lol

Oh man, do IGN even know what shocking means?

This was a good one. No Scarface, but I liked it.

Mama Smurf

Deku Tree said:
This isn't the kind of game that I see selling on the xbox. Maybe MS canned it because it was taking too long and they realized this kind of game isn't exactly the average xbox gamers cup of tea.

Look, when you combine a MS emploee saying it sucked with it's cancellation, it sucks.

Tellaerin said:
Um, the fact that MS canned it?
Doen't necessarily mean the game sucks. It is yet another new unproven IP that MS was investing in just to have potentially tank upon release. Voodoo Vince was a pretty good game that received a lackluster response by consumers. Also, MS canned the new Oddworld game yet EA picked it up and it's looking pretty damn good, imo.

Mama Smurf

I don't see what oxy would gain from lying to us, and you just have to look at which publisher picked it up. You think they went to Majesco first to show the game? Or fifteenth?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
shuri said:
IGN hypes topic should be banned. Also, IGN Employees browsing the board should be banned.

Yeah, it's just a way for them to get more hits on their site, just like how a certain other gaming site gave a big release game a C- to get more hits. Oh wait...

Mama Smurf said:
I don't see what oxy would gain from lying to us, and you just have to look at which publisher picked it up. You think they went to Majesco first to show the game? Or fifteenth?
Don't know about you but I'm not going to take someone opinion as fact. Especially so if I don't even know the person. I have faith in Tim delivering a decent to good game and nothing more. At least Tim S. has a proven track record which is a lot more than can be said for Oxy (no offense meant).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I actually feel sad that so many people are not only not hyped about this game, but are putting it down as something insignificant.

I mean, just look at it:

psychonauts-20040928031431875.jpg

Lyte Edge said:
Yeah, it's just a way for them to get more hits on their site, just like how a certain other gaming site gave a big release game a C- to get more hits. Oh wait...

For the record, I would have given that game a C- too.

DMC for life.

Mama Smurf

For platformers?

Look the games looks gorgeous and given his past record, we could hope for a good game. But if that was the case, WHY would MS drop it? And why didn't we hear why it was dropped if not for quality issues? We sure did with TFLO. Why didn't EA pick it up? Or Activision or UbiSoft or all the other publishers you'd go to before Majesco?

Maybe it'll turn out good, but I think it's fair to say that things don't look promising for it's quality given all those points.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mr_Furious said:
Don't know about you but I'm not going to take someone opinion as fact. Especially so if I don't even know the person. I have faith in Tim delivering a decent to good game and nothing more. At least Tim S. has a proven track record which is a lot more than can be said for Oxy (no offense meant).
IIRC Oxy only said that the game had great storytelling and humour, but that the actual gameplay needed a lot of work to be considered good. Considering the game had been in development for more than 3 years at the time and already costed a few millions for a rather niche genre (on the Xbox at least) MS decision is a bit understandable.
I'm a big fan of Shafer's previous work, but I can easily understand that he'd stuggle doing a platforming game after doing only heavily story driven adventure games.
And of course it does not mean that the final game released in a few months won't be good.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Look the games looks gorgeous and given his past record, we could hope for a good game. But if that was the case, WHY would MS drop it?

Why didn't EA pick it up? Or Activision or UbiSoft or all the other publishers you'd go to before Majesco?
I doubt any of them would, at this day and age, publish Grim Fandango either. Doesn't stop it from being one of the best games ever made.

Insertia

I figured this would be Psychonauts. If the game was really worth its salt the company would have held its own conference. Maybe if this were announced a year or two ago it would have been a big deal, but no one really cares about Psychonauts atm. The hype has long been deflated from it.

IGN is going to take a lot of flak for this, and they should. For a game as unanticipated as this they shouldn't have made a pre-announcement as if it were a big deal.

Mama Smurf

The reason they wouldn't publish Grim Fandango is because it's an adventure game and, sadly (very sadly), they sell like crap nowadays. It has nothing to do with humour or the script of the game, so Psychonauts wouldn't be affected in the same way.

Also Grim Fandango was never dropped by a publisher who had fully supported the idea behind the game. The situations really aren't that comparable.

Top Bottom