• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Tease: Tomorrow's PS2 Top Story = Shocking

Odysseus

Banned
Jeremy gets burned by his own hype and now he wants to blame the gaming community for only looking forward to the big games... right.

Maybe he should just not give unnecessary hype to future stories that no one will ultimately care about (at least, not to the level that his original threads suggested)? Maybe start hyping the game as (and after) you post the story about it?

border

God, how lame.....not Psychonauts, but how IGN keeps hyping people into a furor for more hits and Insider subscriptions, then playing all innocent when it turns out to be something totally inconsequential and everyone is annoyed.

Oh, and spinning it into some paternalistic lesson about how we need to be interested in more games is a nice new touch to this infinitely repeating game of "Bait n' Dissapoint". Maybe if they hadn't acted like it was such a big deal, then people wouldn't have assumed that it was one of the very few "big deal" games currently in the works.

As to why I should be excited about a title that couldn't make it through the low Quality Assurance standards at Microsoft Game Studios, I dunno...

teiresias

I did 4 billion articles on Shadow Hearts 2 and no one gave a crap until PSM, myself, and Gamespot reviewed it with a 10, 9.1, and 8.6 respectively -- then all of a sudden people were like "oh that game -- why havent I ever heard of it?" Katamari Damacy is another good example of this -- nobody cared about the damn thing until the week after reviews hit -- then it "came outta nowhere." No it didn't. You had magazines, websites, and importers telling you about it for months.

Oh please, the whole industry of videogame "journalism" (I use such a term loosely) has brought any such attitudes on themselves by making it a habit to hype games in previews that turn out to be mediocre turds upon release. How am I supposed to give a damn about the games you talk about when most of the time you praise in previews what ends up being a waste of cash in the end?

Anyway, such news about Psychonauts should have been that - news - not some glorified M3GATON announcement that you've decided is the best thing ever in order to increase hits to the site.

Psychonauts going to PS2 is about as exciting as hearing about another DNF engine change at this point.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If it is Psychonauts, Seriously... who would care?
WHO WOULD CARE!? I mean fuck yeah, Psychonauts is not canned completely and now it's on PS2 too, meaning more sales (and I don't have to stay after work in the office to play it, but can play it at home :p )?? Some of you guys act like you've never played Tim Schaffer's game.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Marconelly said:
WHO WOULD CARE!? I mean fuck yeah, Psychonauts is not canned completely and now it's on PS2 too, meaning more sales (and I don't have to stay after work in the office to play it, but can play it at home :p )?? Some of you guys act like you've never played Tim Schaffer's game.

It was never canned completely (did they sign up with Majesco in the end?), the website has been saying that since MS dropped it, the fact that they dropped it is what made people stop caring. "Wasn't Fun" were the words used to describe i think.

Edit: Majesco did aquire the rights to it.

Marconelly said:

Well the last impressions on this game were not that good, he should concentrate on Click and point adventure games, Lucas should hire him again for that sam & max sequel that was cancelled.....

Seems that the only people being hyped into a furor are the people convinced IGN is trying to hype people into a furor.

This news is not a big deal, and I think reasonable people realize that. Is it bigger than the typical IGN update? Yeah. Should they have leaked news of this story in advance? Probably not, but I don't see how it's some great crime against humanity.

element

i agree teiresias, most game sites have egos as if they are walter cronkite of video game news. But at the same type, fans are blinded and choose to ignore a game until they get smacked in the face with outstanding review score or something.

For people who would care about Psychonauts, this is probably news. but nothing earth shattering.

It was quite funny to read the IGN thread with people throwing games like Jade Empire, Resident Evil 4, or other huge titles that the hardware company hads dropped money into to keep it exclusive.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OK, but where is that news? It's not on IGN.

Still, I shudder at thought that people would consider f'n TFLO on PS2 to be some news of megaton proportions, and Psychonauts is considered disappointment...

Soul4ger

element said:
i agree teiresias, most game sites have egos as if they are walter cronkite of video game news. But at the same type, fans are blinded and choose to ignore a game until they get smacked in the face with outstanding review score or something.

For people who would care about Psychonauts, this is probably news. but nothing earth shattering.

It was quite funny to read the IGN thread with people throwing games like Jade Empire, Resident Evil 4, or other huge titles that the hardware company hads dropped money into to keep it exclusive.

For people who care about Psychonauts, they probably have an Xbox. This isn't big news.

Psychonauts? Bleh.

I was excited about the game, but wasn't it supposed to played like shit around E3 or so when Schafer demoed in a hotel room or something? I hope it got a whole lot better since then.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I have a confession to make... I didn't realize that Psychonauts on PS2 wasn't already public knowledge. I could've joined the hinting!!

OmniGamer

This thread is useless without
shocking1.jpg

This thread is still going? Unfuckingbelievable. I told you guys already if it was anything worth while many other places would of pumped this information out wayyyyyyyyy before ign's release schedule. If you ask me, this thread sucks, the dude who made this thread sucks, and finally, I suck for coming to read this bullshit.

I feel it, I feel the cosmos. Yes I said it, Katamari Damacy time bitches.

Wario64 said:
Replies: 470
Views: 20,701

wtf, I hope this 'surprise' disappoints everyone

IAWTP.

I think this speaks more to this forum than it does to IGN. Ride that sucker into the ground. It was fun while it lasted, though, RIGHT?

Sho Nuff

Banned
BTW, that was about as SHOCKING as finding a dead cockroach on my kitchen floor; IGN guy, I administer a remote punch to your groin for wasting so much GA bandwidth.

Sho Nuff

Banned
"We're proud to be able to make the exclusivel online announcement thatPsychonauts is being primsed for release on PlayStation 2 in the spring of 2005."

SJackson.gif

A SPELLCHECKER!

CAN YOU USE IT, MOTHERFUCKER?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DID YOU GUYS HERE ABOUT RE?!?!
bailout.jpg

AM I 2 LATE FOR NEWS?! RE4 4 PS2!!1

EDIT: damnit my RE bailout pic is bandwidth exceeded. :( :(

Joke am failure

maybe because noone really cares about the game? (in the respect that it be some super coo hype thing for ign), THIS JUST HUGE BREAKING ANNOUNCEMENT CHESSMASTER 4000 TO PS3 OMG OMG OMG!!!

Top Bottom