• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMDB has a 'Top 250 TV Shows' list

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are yet to explain where this huge quality dip in The Wire is? And BB is not even on the same level as The Wire. It has one great character, another decent one in Jessie toward the end, good plot writing, above average dialogue and a poor supporting cast and poor characters and character development most of the series. Mad Men and The Wire both wipe the floor with BB in terms of writing, character development, plot, acting, dialogue and overall consistency. BB is a consistently overall good show with constant flaws from start to finish but that doesn't make it an overall better show then true greats like The Wire, Mad Men, The Sopranos, Band of Brothers or Deadwood.

Love the show and it was a fun ride but you are going to have to do better then unsubstantiated assertions to make an argument stick. And I have yet to read one that effectively makes the case that BB is superior to The Wire.
Season 5? The journalism aspect coupled with serial killer plot was quite bad. It was too much confidence and you could tell. It was almost way too preachy as well. You can admit The Wire has poor quality areas. No one will judge you for it.

I haven't watched Mad Men, Deadwood, or Band of Brothers so I can't comment on those. I enjoyed Breaking Bad and The Sopranos equally.

bebop242

Rick and Morty at 13? Look I love the show, but thats just crazy, especially with South Park and Simpsons in the 40s and 50s.

HylianTom

Banned
Twilight Zone? Good.
MST3k? Good.
Cosmos? Good.

No SOAP?
No Mary Tyler Moore?
Harumph.

How old were the folks who made this list?

Season 5? The journalism aspect coupled with serial killer plot was quite bad. It was too much confidence and you could tell. It was almost way too preachy as well. You can admit The Wire has poor quality areas. No one will judge you for it.

I haven't watched Mad Men, Deadwood, or Band of Brothers so I can't comment on those. I enjoyed Breaking Bad and The Sopranos equally.

I don't think they're denying there are bad parts, but you're not exactly selling your side on where the show was bad. As a whole Season 5 kind of sucked, but not Dexter level of suck.

I don't think they're denying there are bad parts, but you're not exactly selling your side on where the show was bad. As a whole Season 5 kind of sucked, but not Dexter level of suck.

The show is a sum of its parts. All I'm saying is the quality dipped in various areas and that lowers the overall quality of the show. The Wire wasn't consistently great. There are other shows like Breaking Bad that was consistently good which, to me, makes it better.

The show is a sum of its parts. All I'm saying is the quality dipped in various areas and that lowers the overall quality of the show. The Wire wasn't consistently great. There are other shows like Breaking Bad that was consistently good which, to me, makes it better.

You're projecting your opinion the same way the person is. While you think Breaking Bad was consistently good I think The Wire was consistently good (even with that meh Season 5).

Jonm1010

Banned

The journalism aspect was just fine. It touched on one more facet that gave more depth to the largest plot in the series that was Baltimore as a living breathing city. It introduced some good characters and once again did a brilliant job of juggling multiple storylines competing for mindshare at various levels of storytelling. Including, once again, great meta-commentary on the nature of the subject at the forefront. In Season 5 it was the effect of a crumbling press and the way the institution(a constant focus of the show) fails the public it swears it is in charge of informing in terms of the real major events going on in its city. And how and why this is happening.

The Serial Killer plot wasn't in the tone of the show and wasn't its best moment but the season was still better then 98% of any other season of any other show that has ever existed. That season alone still had better dialogue, better characters and better depth then your crown example of BB. Although, I do think in retrospect Simon should have went a route that didn't involve the serial killer plot line.

You seem to be almost arguing that consistent mediocre is better then a masterpiece show that has moments that aren't masterpieces. Its quite the odd argument to make. Especially when your one actual example of criticism isn't really that bad in context.

Lost not being in the Top 20, much less the Top 100, is easily the BIGGEST crock of shit I have ever seen on IMDb. Jesus Christ, the last seasons weren't THAT bad. fuck democracy seriously.

The Serial Killer plot wasn't in the tone of the show and wasn't its best moment but the season was still better then 98% of any other season of any other show that has ever existed. That season alone still had better dialogue, better characters and better depth then your crown example of BB. Although, I do think in retrospect Simon should have went a route that didn't involve the serial killer plot line.

You sum up what makes Simon's history of work (Homicide up through Treme) so good. His character development and story telling is really top notch. Especially when you consider the sheer number of stories he may tell in a single season.

Breaking Bad was a very good show, but I never felt like it had the same development and story arc depth as The Wire. I also hate comparing them because I view them as two different shows.

Bigfoot

Lost not being in the Top 20, much less the Top 100, is easily the BIGGEST crock of shit I have ever seen on IMDb. Jesus Christ, the last seasons weren't THAT bad. fuck democracy seriously.

No way is LOST a Top 20 show. It's not even in the Top 20 shows of the last 15 years. And yes, its last season (and episode) was THAT bad!

xbhaskarx

Mad Men at 111 and LOST at 188 are both way too low.

11. True Detective (2014) 9.2

I hope this is based on season 1 and not season 2...

i think a lot of this list is garbage

but

HUNTER x HUNTER IS IN THE TOP 100

TOGASHI NEEDS TO BRING IT BACK AGAIN

AHHHHHHH

the hole in my heart will never be filled, will it?

Jonm1010

Banned

Eh.....Off the top of my head.

The Wire
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Band of Brothers
Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Deadwood
Rome
The Shield
Arrested Development
The Simpsons
Louis
Veep
Oz
South Park
Its Always Sunny
Chappelle's Show
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Seinfeld
The Twilight Zone
Mash
Hillstreet Blues
Taxi
Twin Peaks.

And that is really just off the top of my head - no ranking or order - and doesnt give credit to many older shows. If I'm being honest I don't think I could fit Lost in the top 20 of just the list I came up with.

You're projecting your opinion the same way the person is. While you think Breaking Bad was consistently good I think The Wire was consistently good (even with that meh Season 5).

Unfortunately Breaking Bad doesn't dip in that much quality like The Wire did.

The journalism aspect was just fine. It touched on one more facet that gave more depth to the largest plot in the series that was Baltimore as a living breathing city. It introduced some good characters and once again did a brilliant job of juggling multiple storylines competing for mindshare at various levels of storytelling. Including, once again, great meta-commentary on the nature of the subject at the forefront. In Season 5 it was the effect of a crumbling press and the way the institution(a constant focus of the show) fails the public it swears it is in charge of informing in terms of the real major events going on in its city. And how and why this is happening.

You seem to be almost arguing that consistent mediocre is better then a masterpiece show that has moments that aren't masterpieces. Its quite the odd argument to make. Especially when your one actual example of criticism isn't really that bad in context.
You frame The Wire as a masterpiece. Unfortunately you're never going to give any other thought any attention because, honestly, you have made up your mind already.

You say these are all great but give specific examples of great characters, dialogue, etc. Examples from the show in detail.

The problem with "meta-commentary" shows is that is why they're defended as such. Not based on acting, pacing, story telling, dialogue, cinematography, etc. but how well it reflects out world. While it's a good angle it doesn't complete a show. By this metric Bill Nye the Science Guy is a masterpiece because of what it does to help foster science among children: you can't fault a show because it does so well to help illuminate or articulate real life, and that's a huge problem when trying to discuss a show like The Wire.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Ctrl+F 30 rock = 0 results

This list is complete bullshit
This was my sole reason for entering this thread. I know these are user ratings, but still: complete bullshit.

Considering that it just takes user ratings from the site, it could be much worse, just like with the movies list, regardless of some nasty rankings. It's a random collection of decent TV shows.

I've tried twice watching The Wire, I can't make it past the first episode. Does it get better?

I feel ashamed but I kinda have the same problem. I want to watch the HD release when it's out on BluRay.

Ouh shit, its out ?

91j2tD6pM9L._SL1500_.jpg

Any TV series with a lot of characters takes a long time to introduce them all and get rolling.

Really? Breaking Bad had me hooked in the first 1 minute. Dexter by the end of first episode, easily. I'm not trying to start flame wars or bash The Wire, it's an honest question about when it gets better.

I guess a better question is, what do people like about it?

No way is LOST a Top 20 show. It's not even in the Top 20 shows of the last 15 years. And yes, its last season (and episode) was THAT bad!

Eh.....Off the top of my head.

The Wire
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Band of Brothers
Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Deadwood
Rome
The Shield
Arrested Development
The Simpsons
Louis
Veep
Oz
South Park
Its Always Sunny
Chappelle's Show
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Seinfeld
The Twilight Zone
Mash
Hillstreet Blues
Taxi
Twin Peaks.

And that is really just off the top of my head - no ranking or order - and doesnt give credit to many older shows. If I'm being honest I don't think I could fit Lost in the top 20 of just the list I came up with.
I see you had to fit in every HBO show to disqualify Lost. You have good taste, otherwise. I don't hate HBO; I want to watch Sopranos and the Wire this year and the next. I've just never had a subscription. Not that I give a shit about a list with brand new shows in the top 20, I just blurted a gut reaction.

nilbog21

Banned
Rome should be top 5.
Breaking bad should be dropped down about 10 due to the last couple of seasons

a good top 5 would be

Band of Brothers
Planet Earth
The Wire
Game of Thrones
Rome

Nafai1123

Banned
These lists always skew modern. Give it another 10 years and these shows will be in their respective places and some other overrated shit will be towards the top.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
How on earth is GOT there? There is a better version of that story already in existence. It is rushed, sloppy and cheap. Yes it is entertaining but it isn't great. Come on.

My top 5 in no particular order;

The Wire
Brasseye
Cowboy Bebop
Yes Minister
Mad Men (this is the questionable choice here)

Honourable mentions;

I'm Alan Partridge
Arrested Development
State of Play
Seinfeld/Curb
30 Rock

Sober

It's just like video game ratings on that website. Governed by ardent fanboys.
It's pretty fuckin white male 18-34 it's not even funny.

Only BoB deserves to be #1 on all relevant lists and even then I would argue it shouldn't be.

pringles

People care too much about the actual positions. I always use the top 250 movies list as just a list of 250 movies that a lot of people think are good. I check to find stuff to watch and I'm just as likely to watch the #250 ranked movies as the #5 ranked (though I've seen most of the top stuff).

Band Of Brothers is #1 and that is all that matters. I doubt anything that lasts multiple seasons will ever be able to top it. It's 10 perfect episodes.

Siegcram

Really? Breaking Bad had me hooked in the first 1 minute. Dexter by the end of first episode, easily. I'm not trying to start flame wars or bash The Wire, it's an honest question about when it gets better.

It's a Great American novel serialized as a TV show. I've seen quite a bit of TV in my time and The Wire is unmatched in authenticity and relevance.

Breaking bad is a fairly simple comic book romp with one main character.

What people like about the Wire is how it builds a picture over time about what life is like for characters from different backgrounds in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom