• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones 5 for July 19th, 2019 with Spielberg and Harrison Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale-XF11

Time to hang up the hat, boys. It was good while it lasted, but for god's sake, he's almost 80 years old.

Then again, if it's a good movie, I'm all in.

Pratt's style of humor doesn't work for Indy at all, though.

Pratt isn't playing Indiana Jones. Ford is already confirmed. Therefore his style doesn't have to be Indiana Jones, and even if Pratt were taking over in a reboot he could be a slightly different character.

If I was making this, I would do a Godfather Part 2 kind of thing and have a "modern" story and a flashback story to a young Indy with someone else playing him. Have old Indy try to pick up a quest he never completed, and the young Indy scenes elaborating on why it's important. Old Indy plot would be more spy/detective style action with him setting traps and outsmarting his enemies and young Indy would be the typical swashbuckling.

It would also make re-casting Indiana easier to swallow if they appear alongside each other.

Tookay

I like how one meh installment makes some people not think they can't do better next time.

I think the issue is that part of the charm of the original Indy trilogy is watching Ford in all these ridiculous practical stunts and action scenes. He could barely keep up with that stuff in Indy 4, so it's hard to see how they're going to do better than that 11 years later in Indy 5, without fundamentally changing the character roles (which would thereby beg the question "Why not do a reboot at that point?").

Sephzilla

Pratt isn't playing Indiana Jones. Ford is already confirmed. Therefore his style doesn't have to be Indiana Jones, and even if Pratt were taking over in a reboot he could be a slightly different character.
Sorry I just meant in the hypothetical "if Pratt was cast as Indy" scenario :p

I'd be totally down for recasting Mutt as Pratt though.

If I was making this, I would do a Godfather Part 2 kind of thing and have a "modern" story and a flashback story to a young Indy with someone else playing him. Have old Indy try to pick up a quest he never completed, and the young Indy scenes elaborating on why it's important. Old Indy plot would be more spy/detective style action with him setting traps and outsmarting his enemies and young Indy would be the typical swashbuckling.

IIRC there was an earlier story idea about a haunted castle, or at least a castle... it may have not been haunted but I seem to recall that. Anyway I'd be down for a slower, creepier type of exploration film that isn't about balls to the walls action but rather just about the atmosphere and story. This is something Ford could still easily do, and if they want to do action setpieces they can write Ford around those and have other characters do the heavy lifting.

I always thought it was funny how people always go "Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones", and then at the same time they say "Ford is too old to play Indiana Jones". Indy can't be old like Ford is?

sflufan

Banned
I don't know what to feel

I think this is about right:

image.php

Dominator

I find it hard to get excited about a movie coming out 3 and a half years from now...

Why do they announce these things so early. It wouldn't have hurt if they announced this at the end of 2017 even. Shit.

I always thought it was funny how people always go "Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones", and then at the same time they say "Ford is too old to play Indiana Jones". Indy can't be old like Ford is?
I think there are different people saying those things. Indy is a cartoon character, he shouldn't be an elderly man. I don't care what Mr. Magoo was like when he was a young man with 20/20 vision.

Pratt can basically be a grown Shia now since a lot of years have passed since the 4th

Wouldn't make much sense yeah but it's a movie :p

I'm in , just don't get hurt Harrison Ford the god

It would also make re-casting Indiana easier to swallow if they appear alongside each other.

I think non-Ford Indy would be even more irritating then, even though the premise sounds good.

And like TFA, he probably won't be in that much action here but was still a great character. In fact TFA developed him as much if not more, arguably, than the other Star Wars movies. The script can make it work, that's what it's all about and we know nothing about this.

He's a supporting cast member in TFA, he's the main protagonist here. His name is in the title. The series is built about Indiana Jones leading the adventures. The idea of old ass 75+ year old Indy being on the sidelines has gotta be one of the least exciting ideas you could do. On top of Spielberg's frankly terrible job he did in directing and controlling Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I don't have much faith in the next one being much better. Everything is gonna have to be built around Harrison's obvious limitations.

They should've either rebooted like James Bond or just let this die. This just feels like a really bad idea waiting to happen.

I think the issue is that part of the charm of the original Indy trilogy is watching Ford in all these ridiculous practical stunts and action scenes. He could barely keep up with that stuff in Indy 4, so it's hard to see how they're going to do better than that 11 years later in Indy 5, without fundamentally changing the character roles (which would thereby beg the question "Why not do a reboot at that point?").

This movie will likely be a bridge into a sort of reboot. It will establish that Ford is always Indiana Jones, but may introduce new blood to carry on his legacy, much like how Star Wars had the old cast and new.

Sorry I just meant in the hypothetical "if Pratt was cast as Indy" scenario :p

Yeah. Like I said in the post above though, I don't think they're ever going to recast. If they were, with Disney owning it now and Ford being so old, they wouldn't be bringing Ford back this time. It'll be a passing of the torch movie.

Most movie franchises are like restaurants. It only takes one bad personal experience of food poisoning and you never go there again, no matter what changes they claim they made in the back.

Star Wars and Indy might be the exceptions though. I hated Crystal Skull. Hated it far more than any of the SW prequels, personally. And yet, I'll go see this if it ever comes to fruition because it's Indy and while I expect the worst, I can hope for the best.

Well, you just answered my point. One bad thing doesn't forever mean bad things. I've had bad food at restaurants before but I know shit happens and it doesn't stop me from going back, especially when I've had good food, even in the same dish in the past that was fine. The prequels, according to many, did a huge gut punch to Star Wars, yet... it didn't. Here we are.

He's a supporting cast member in TFA, he's the main protagonist here. His name is in the title. The series is built about Indiana Jones leading the adventures. The idea of old ass 75+ year old Indy being on the sidelines has gotta be one of the least exciting ideas you could do. On top of Spielberg's frankly terrible job he did in directing and controlling Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I don't have much faith in the next one being much better. Everything is gonna have to be built around Harrison's obvious limitations.

They should've either rebooted like James Bond or just let this die. This just feels like a really bad idea waiting to happen.

He was pretty much a main character and they gave him a great arc in TFA regardless. And this probably will lead to some sort of reboot-type thing. Disney knows that they can't keep using Ford for it, but they want to do this so they can say that Ford is always Indiana Jones, and following films can be set up with this film. I think that's what they're going to do anyway. Disney wants a franchise out of Indiana Jones as well, and they will need to hit the reset button in some capacity.

liquidtmd

Banned
I look forward to the subsequent Gonzo art performance from Shia where he will turn up to the Indy 5 premiere dressed as Mutt, sit in the front row and livestream himself whilst masturbating reciting his lines from Indy 4

I'm worried...very worried. For Ford, that is. I'm gonna take a wait and see approach for this movie. But I think there is a point where you gotta ask, "should we be doing this?"

DiracSea

Banned
Will only care about this if they finally introduce Shia as the new main protagonist. Have old Indy be in a mentor role.

TheXbox

Indy's biggest problem is he doesn't have compelling villains aside from Nazis. Even the Fate of Atlantis game had Nazis.
They could square off against other treasure hunters. A cabal of pirates and crooked fortune seekers led by Shia LaBeouf. Only Indiana Jones and his prodigious successor Short Round can stop them

IIRC there was an earlier story idea about a haunted castle, or at least a castle... it may have not been haunted but I seem to recall that. Anyway I'd be down for a slower, creepier type of exploration film that isn't about balls to the walls action but rather just about the atmosphere and story. This is something Ford could still easily do, and if they want to do action setpieces they can write Ford around those and have other characters do the heavy lifting.

Yes, Lucas had an idea for the third movie about a haunted castle but Spielberg didn't want to make it so soon after totally-not-directing Poltergeist.

babuchy

I guess they think that didn't kill enough IJ saga and they want to make sure that is totally dead whit this new film

Sojgat

Disney could just use the same guy they find for that young Han Solo disaster they're making.

Everyone would hate that shit though. Everyone remembers the haunted castle as that really stupid George Lucas idea that foreshadowed The Crystal Skull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom