• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones 5 for July 19th, 2019 with Spielberg and Harrison Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Good. Ford showed with Indy 4 that he could still do the role, it was just a shit script. As long as Lucas is not involved I know Spielberg will end this franchise properly. Like they did with Star Wars, Disney will know how to clean up George's mess.

Not getting excited after Crystal Skull. Will still check it out and hope to be surprised.

I think if anything people should be more optimistic. Crystal Skull was pretty much the end result of Lucas forcing Spielberg into a lot of shit he didn't want to do. Spielberg didn't even like the aliens idea to begin with. He wanted more practical effects. He wanted to shoot on film. Now without Lucas there to control things, it should turn out much better, at least feel more confident; telling Spielberg how to make a movie is like the dumbest shit.

I could be completely wrong and Lucas could hover over this entire thing, but going by Star Wars and Lucas not being a producer on this but rather Marshall and Kennedy, I have no reason to suspect that he will be influential in this at all.

Let's be real:

This movie either features old Indy retelling an adventure of his youth, Hobbit style.

Or

Old Indy chasing one last adventure with a younger group, and when they find what they're looking for he is magically body swapped into his younger self. Cue Ryan Gosling or Chris Pratt.

We know Pratt can look the part:

XXEbzs3.jpg

Either way, I expect this to be a transitional film, replacing Ford with a younger actor, but having the films acknowledge it rather than flat out recasting him.

I bet they're trying to make sure the last film with Ford is NOT Crystal Skull so they can still sell merchandise of him after they replace him.

Number45

Interested. Hoping for something enjoyable if not particularly memorable.

Either way, I expect this to be a transitional film, replacing Ford with a younger actor, but having the films acknowledge it rather than flat out recasting him.
This seems to be exactly what they were going for with Crystal Skull.

Solo

I love the Indy trilogy, just as I love Bond. But TOD and TLC are, like most Bond movies, not very good movies. I love em all the same, but just sayin'. Raiders stands tall above the rest. Like, skyscraper over an ant kind of tall.

Zombine

Banned
I don't remember hating Crystal Skull. I remember being excited after seeing it and people telling me my opinions are shit.

-griffy-

Banned
I love the Indy trilogy, just as I love Bond. But TOD and TLC are, like most Bond movies, not very good movies. I love em all the same, but just sayin'. Raiders stands tall above the rest. Like, skyscraper over an ant kind of tall.

Last Crusade is a pretty good movie. Maybe not very good, but pretty good. Temple of Doom is a weird movie. Raiders is damn near perfect.

Raiders is the best yeah, but I disagree that they're not very good movies. Temple... I mean, there's an argument there maybe, but it's not bad. Last Crusade is legitimately great IMO. Last Crusade has that tank sequence.

But why? He was fantastic in Indy 4.

He also acted like a total ass and trash talked the movie after it came out.

There's 0% chance that Shia's in the movie. I don't think Disney would put him in front of a camera to promote any movie at this point, let alone Indiana Jones.

opoth

Banned
I don't remember hating Crystal Skull. I remember being excited after seeing it and people telling me my opinions are shit.

That's kind of how I felt about it too, it's not Raiders but what is? The only things that actively bothered me were nuking the fridge and the tarzan yell. Typical Lucas odd choices at that point in his career. Otherwise I felt that it was an enjoyable movie that people continue to he too hard on.

120v

was hoping for one more with ford but man did they sit on this one

I hope it's treated as an apology for crystal skull

Elitist1945

How I view the films: Last Crusade > Raiders >>>> Crystal Skull >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Temple of Doom

I'm looking forward to this.

Vyer

Your last sentence is true, but your second is not.

zma1013

I was completely enthralled by it, but not because I thought it was good. The escalation of insanity as the movie progressed was a sight to behold. Just when I thought it couldn't get any dumber after seeing Han survive a Nuke in a fridge, it goes and pulls a stunt like the swinging CGI vine scene with monkey sidekicks... and totally redeems itself!

This seems to be exactly what they were going for with Crystal Skull.

The difference being, they were trying to replace the character of Indiana Jones. You just don't do that. This will probably lead to a new actor for Indiana Jones in the same film as Ford to make it feel more 'canon'.

Also, who the fuck thought Shia would be able to replace Ford?

Russ T

Banned
He also acted like a total ass and trash talked the movie after it came out.

That's actually a fair point. If you have followed him at all you can tell he's significantly grown as a person. Like infinitely more mature than he was back then. (Although he's definitely still an oddball, it comes from a good place, these days, rather than a temper tantrum.)

But, well. First impressions and all that, though. It's a bummer, 'cause he was really great.

The difference being, they were trying to replace the character of Indiana Jones. You just don't do that. This will probably lead to a new actor for Indiana Jones in the same film as Ford to make it feel more 'canon'.

Wonder if they'll end up renaming the series. If this is a pass the torch movie, it will go to a new character as Ford is Indy.

But, well. First impressions and all that, though. It's a bummer, 'cause he was really great.

I thought Shia was fine in it. He seemed to really care, but then when there was negative feedback I felt he was damage controlling himself. He may be more mature now, but he's already burned so many bridges.

Let's be real:

This movie either features old Indy retelling an adventure of his youth, Hobbit style.

Or

Old Indy chasing one last adventure with a younger group, and when they find what they're looking for he is magically body swapped into his younger self. Cue Ryan Gosling or Chris Pratt.

What if they pull a Kojima and Ford is only in the pre-title sequence? Like a reversal of the one in Last Crusade!

ExVicis

Oh my god why? Who wanted this?

I'm sure though in a few months time and after a really lackluster trailer there's gonna be a die-hard group of people arguing with all the fervor they have that this movie will be great.

AntChum

Uhm, how old is Ford gonna be when they film this? Hope he makes it.

You kidding? By the time 2019 rolls around, the only tomb Harrison Ford will be raiding is his own.

I haven't seen The Last Crusade in years, but didn't drinking from the Holy Grail grant him eternal life?

inm8num2

Weird, Mutt is one of the stronger parts of KotCS for me. I doubt he's going to be back, but it would have been a positive.

"What are you, like, eighty?"

Funny thing is, that line would fit really well in Indy 5. :p

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I can see a Godfather 2 type structure with a younger Indy as part of the narrative, a new actor sharing the role with Ford will make the transition much less jarring.

I'm sure though in a few months time and after a really lackluster trailer there's gonna be a die-hard group of people arguing with all the fervor they have that this movie will be great.

Maybe they legitimately think it is great, or will be. You're fine to disagree but it swings both ways; some will argue with the same amount of fervor that it sucks regardless of how it turns out.

ExVicis

You kidding? By the time 2019 rolls around, the only tomb Harrison Ford will be raiding is his own.

I haven't seen The Last Crusade in years, but didn't drinking from the Holy Grail grant him eternal life?
Then wouldn't' Sean Connery be alive?

Russ T

Banned
I thought Shia was fine in it. He seemed to really care, but then when there was negative feedback I felt he was damage controlling himself. He may be more mature now, but he's already burned so many bridges.

Yeah, for sure! C'est la vie. ):

At any rate, here's hopin' this movie's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom