• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones 5 for July 19th, 2019 with Spielberg and Harrison Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney isn't stupid. They're not going to have an old man running around doing insane stunts. This will almost definitely be the final film and I'm sure Disney, Ford and Spielberg all want to end the series on a high note.

Disney isn't stupid. They're not going to have an old man running around doing insane stunts. This will almost definitely be the final film and I'm sure Disney, Ford and Spielberg all want to end the series on a high note.
But how will it be a high note if there aren't insane stunts?

The Indiana Jones thing at Disney World was literally a big stunt show. That's the whole series!

Well, you just answered my point. One bad thing doesn't forever mean bad things. I've had bad food at restaurants before but I know shit happens and it doesn't stop me from going back, especially when I've had good food, even in the same dish in the past that was fine. The prequels, according to many, did a huge gut punch to Star Wars, yet... it didn't. Here we are.

All they had to do was completely get rid of the old manager who completely botched the last big meal and past-his-prime head chef.

Now we're supposed to be optimistic of these guys coming back almost a decade later, older, slower? Excuse me if I don't get my hopes up.

Ydelnae

I'm not sure if he can act, but a friend of mine pointed Derek Theler as a possible young Indi. He's way too big but if Disney decides to go with lesser known actors like with TFA, he would be a good fit.

LO8VyeW.jpg
He54tTa.jpg

Everyone would hate that shit though. Everyone remembers the haunted castle as that really stupid George Lucas idea that foreshadowed The Crystal Skull

I guess execution doesn't mean squat these days. You hear an idea and it's immediately awful or fantastic it seems (not you specifically it's just how people seem to operate). Anyway it was just an example of a type of thing they could do. Having something slower, atmospheric, etc. could be very good.

Now we're supposed to be optimistic of these guys coming back almost a decade later, older, slower? Excuse me if I don't get my hopes up.

These things mean nothing to me nor do they dictate the quality of a movie. It all depends on what the story and vision is, and Spielberg is more than capable. Excuse me if I don't see things so cut and dry :p

Lothar

Banned
As much as I love seeing this news and it's the movie I most want to see now, it pisses me off because why the fuck wasn't there any Indiana Jones movies in the 90s? Why wait until he's old?

Busty

Banned
Unless this means that the new Indy film will be set in the sixties and feature Don Draper from Mad Men I am not interested at all.

Yes....., this would mean that Mad Men and Indy would exist in the same 'universe'.

Yes, Lucas had an idea for the third movie about a haunted castle but Spielberg didn't want to make it so soon after totally-not-directing Poltergeist.

Not bad, Harrison can easily move around in a castle and not do heavy stunts

The ending will be him having to seal himself inside the castle with every artifact from the government location to keep the world safe

The Indiana Jones thing at Disney World was literally a big stunt show. That's the whole series!

I'm wondering that too but I'm sure they have something up their sleeve. I just can't see them sinking millions of dollars into a movie about an old man doing stunts (unless Ford surprises us all and can do more than we expect).

I guess execution doesn't mean squat these days. You hear an idea and it's immediately awful or fantastic it seems (not you specifically it's just how people seem to operate). Anyway it was just an example of a type of thing they could do. Having something slower, atmospheric, etc. could be very good.

These things mean nothing to me nor do they dictate the quality of a movie. It all depends on what the story and vision is, and Spielberg is more than capable. Excuse me if I don't see things so cut and dry :p
Even if it's super good and you and I both love it, everyone's gonna hate it. You're gonna see a lot of people coming out of the theater calling it boring if there aren't explosions I think. Like how everyone latched onto "aliens?!" for Indy 4 even though that wasn't the worst part of the movie, and Indy with aliens probably could have been done well in some way.

Azoor

As much as I love seeing this news and it's the movie I most want to see now, it pisses me off because why the fuck wasn't there any Indiana Jones movies in the 90s? Why wait until he's old?

Spielberg said he was done with the series until Lucas pressured him into doing Indie 4.

Indy's biggest problem is he doesn't have compelling villains aside from Nazis. Even the Fate of Atlantis game had Nazis.

I thought the Indian Thuggees in ToD were fine. You could also have:

-Lao Che's gang

-the Illuminati

-Belloq Jr.

-Nazis hiding in Argentina

-Donald Trump

etc.

Decadent filmmaker and decadent actor hold onto their past successful movies to continue to be commercially relevant. Not surprised.

thenexus6

Spielberg is my favourite Director
Raiders - Temple - Crusade is probably the best the trilogy in cinema (imo)
No George

Sign me up.

Please no David Koepp, thanks.

These things mean nothing to me nor do they dictate the quality of a movie.

Of course they fuckin' dictate the quality of the movie! They dictate what the movie will be, how it will be, what kind of storytelling the movie can achieve or even attempt. Realistically, its gonna be closer to the mediocrity of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull then any of the 80s Indiana Jones movies because of the creatives involved.

-griffy-

Banned

Indy not doing big stunts doesn't mean there won't be big stunts in the movie. Come on guys, we just had two sequels of long standing franchises in 2015 that essentially served as reboots by having the old original characters pass the torch to new young characters. One of them even had Harrison Ford in it.

Indy not doing big stunts doesn't mean there won't be big stunts in the movie. Come on guys, we just had two sequels of long standing franchises in 2015 that essentially served as reboots by having the old original characters pass the torch to new young characters.
I would say the main difference here is that Indy has always been a shallow character who's only appeal is in macho action. Not much reason for him to be there without it. Han Solo can still be a sly rogue even if he's not jumping into garbage tanks anymore.

Of course they fuckin' dictate the quality of the movie! They dictate what the movie will be, how it will be, what kind of storytelling the movie can achieve or even attempt. Realistically, its gonna be closer to the mediocrity of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull then any of the 80s Indiana Jones movies because of the creatives involved.

I was talking about their age. Old people can make good things too.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm not sure if he can act, but a friend of mine pointed Derek Theler as a possible young Indi. He's way too big but if Disney decides to go with lesser known actors like with TFA, he would be a good fit.

Dude looks like an imitation Chris Pratt. Not saying no to him because of that, just an observation.

Ananas

Banned
Ford obviously loves playing the character. It could work just fine if he is more professorial and it's more about solving puzzles than all out action.

If this is going to be another Crystal Skull... we might have to declare Romancing the Stone and Quatermain as the better movie series overall...

Also no Kurtzman and Orci. I have more faith in Disney though. I think they will want to have the best writers they can get, to try and make up for 4, like they tried to make up for the prequels.

opoth

Banned
Great grandson (Adam Driver) goes back in time to the 1960s to help Indy stop a teenage Trump and his future rise to power.

11/22/63 2: Electric Boogaloo

Prediction: It's going to be set during the original trilogy and they're gonna throw CGI goop on Ford's face to make him look like he did in his 30s/40s.

If Lucas is involved with the movie again then it might end up being a piece of shit.

Indiana Jones is no different than Star Wars now. It isn't his baby anymore. Crystal Skull was before the acquisition where he had plenty of say in it, and Spielberg actually argued with Lucas frequently about the direction of the film. With Spielberg directing again but without Lucas dictating production so much, I don't see it turning out like Crystal Skull. Then again my pessimism meter isn't out of control, so what do I know.

Pooya

Ford was fine in Crystal Skull, the script wasn't. But even that was eight years ago. He was fine in Star Wars too I guess. I like watching him still, bring it. Maybe get John Williams too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom