• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones 5 for July 19th, 2019 with Spielberg and Harrison Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
It also had the best setpieces in the series, the most epic shot (when the camera zooms in on Indy when he is about the free all the kids), and also gets bonus points from not being a remake of the first film unlike TLC.

It would have been very good without two of the most obnoxious sidekicks imaginable dominating the movie.

Terrible idea.

They should've james bond this thing. The character itself is already as james bondesque as it gets, so I don't understand the need to keep bringing back Ford. Or spielberg for that matter.

When they reboot and recast it's terrible
When they have the same actor back it's terrible
All I can surmise is that everything is, in fact, terrible.

Too bad Harrison Ford has waited until he was an old man to start reprising all of his old roles.

90s Harrison Ford reprising Han Solo, Deckard, and Indiana Jones (x2) would have been a lot more appealing.

Indiana Jones is tailor made for rebooting and recasting. Not every franchise is, but this is one of them.

So was Ghostbusters, and yet everyone hated it because it wasn't going to be Ghostbusters 3 with the same cast before Feig could even lay a finger on the script.

Just about every direction they go in is going to be bad to some people. It's damned near impossible to avoid. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying in fact, but I think this will be a pass the torch movie; they want to bring in Ford for one more and it be his last one while using this film to jumpstart a new actor in the role or a similar role.

icespide

Banned
When they reboot and recast it's terrible
When they have the same actor back it's terrible
All I can surmise is that everything is, in fact, terrible.

you have to realize that different people have different opinions, some people are always going to hate one approach or hate a different approach. really though the only way to make this a good movie....is to make it a good movie either approach could fail or be great

this is why the "this is neogaf.gif" is so overused and annoying

you have to realize that different people have different opinions, some people are always going to hate one approach or hate a different approach. really though the only way to make this a good movie....is to make it a good movie either approach could fail or be great

You're not wrong at all. It's just funny how you seemingly see so many people against rebooting/recasting but when they don't, it leads to about the same amount of it.

They should just recast mutt. Who really gives a shit about crystal skull to be outraged at the decision anyways

I think Pratt would be a terrible indy. But a great son of Indiana Jones

Jarmel

Banned
I love the Indy trilogy, just as I love Bond. But TOD and TLC are, like most Bond movies, not very good movies. I love em all the same, but just sayin'. Raiders stands tall above the rest. Like, skyscraper over an ant kind of tall.

The Last Crusade not being a very good movie? lol

Time to make use of that performance capture tech and give us young Indy.

Anyway, most important part is that Lucas isn't listed as a producer.

The Last Crusade not being a very good movie? lol

It's the most middling film in the trilogy. Like Raiders greatest hits or some shit.

Temple of Doom is better and Raiders is the actual masterpiece of the 3

Recast marion too for all I care. There's plenty of good old actresses who can't get much roles

This should begin to make things right.

Or not at all, we'll see. Crystal Skull was so hated that I feel like this can't not be a serious course correction.

I fully agree with people saying they should James Bond this shit. Cast a new Indy, reset to the 1930s and start cranking out movies. There's no reason we should have twenty Indiana Jones movies fifty years from now.

I think Pratt would be a terrible indy. But a great son of Indiana Jones

Then they would have to call the next one Mutt Jones and the Biker Gang of Madagascar or something. I figure they want to bring Ford back so that people aren't complaining about recasting (too late it seems) yet use this film to introduce a new Indiana Jones. Where the name is a nickname anyway I feel like they could probably get away with that somehow.

Disney will want this to be a fresh new franchise, so they may either keep bringing Ford back to keep the Indiana Jones title but as a mentor/professor that the stories still center around, but accompanied by a younger cast of characters that participate in the action, or kill him off/have him retire for good but pass things onto a different person.

That way the new Indiana Jones wouldn't have to be a Ford copy. It'd be a different character so if it were indeed Pratt, Pratt wouldn't need to emulate Harrison.

So was Ghostbusters, and yet everyone hated it because it wasn't going to be Ghostbusters 3 with the same cast before Feig could even lay a finger on the script.

Just about every direction they go in is going to be bad to some people. It's damned near impossible to avoid. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying in fact, but I think this will be a pass the torch movie; they want to bring in Ford for one more and it be his last one while using this film to jumpstart a new actor in the role or a similar role.

Ghostbusters is a terrible comparison. It only worked because of those 3 guys, without them there's no ghostbusters.

Indiana Jones is like James Bond. And there will come a time when finally they can't bring these old farts back and start over and realize what they've been missing. Unless Disney tries to go the family route again. That will just kill the franchise.

Ghostbusters is a terrible comparison. It only worked because of those 3 guys, without them there's no ghostbusters.

Uh yeah... not really. You can do Ghostbusters with different characters. It's called Ghostbusters, not Peter Venkman. Those two films that came out decades ago had that cast, but you can tell other stories and have other people be Ghostbusters.

Newlove

Hmm really not sure how they're going to do this other than it turning into an archeology film without the same level of action. They could bring in a younger actor to take the mantle while harrison pulls off a Sean Connery type role #bringbackshia

Salsa

Indiana Jones is tailor made for rebooting and recasting. Not every franchise is, but this is one of them.

no it's fucking not

it's made to be what it was and be left the fuck alone

in fact, it's the opposite of a franchise "made for rebooting and recasting", it's iconic as fuck and it completely relies on the original actor playing the character. basically the tentpoles of something you should not mess with

what are you even saying

Uh yeah... not really. You can do Ghostbusters with different characters. It's called Ghostbusters, not Peter Venkman. Those two films that came out decades ago had that cast, but you can tell other stories and have other people be Ghostbusters.

Who gives a shit about other stories? The concept is b-level, cheesy as hell. The characters themselves aren't even that interesting. But the way they were played, the chemistry they had... it was lightning in a bottle.

Take them way and you get a lame concept. It's not the "can" that is in question, is the "should". Rebooting and recasting Ghostbusters is failing to get what made the original work.

no it's fucking not

in fact, it's the opposite of a franchise "made for rebooting and recasting", it's iconic as fuck and it completely relies on the original actor playing the character. basically the tentpoles of something you should not mess with

what are you even saying

I'm saying the character and the structure are fucking templates. They are a mold for a male fantasy, exactly like James Bond.

Yes, Ford kills it. So did Connery.

Why not cast Jackie Chan and make an Indy vs Armour of God?

armour-of-god-2-amazon-fight-o.gif

This is a Gold idea. Pure Gold.

no it's fucking not

what are you even saying

Not that I disagree with how irreplaceable ford really is here but you know ppl said the exact same thing about bond and Connery

Melon Husk

Shit, 11 years after Crystal Skull would be 1968....

TRIGGERED BY THE MOON MISSION, THE ALIENS INTER-DIMENSIONAL BEINGS RETURN

I hope not. Let the nazis make him drink from the wrong cup. Indy doesn't turn to dust because he already had a sip from the holy grail, but he ages like 50 years instead.

Salsa

Not that I disagree with how irreplaceable ford really is here but you know ppl said the exact same thing about bond and Connery

I think it's different when you're making films out of many books, bond was bound to become what it did

and also, I really think the series lost a lot of fucking steam a while ago so I dont think it's a good example of something that "got better" since Connery

They've been wanting to do five since they let Lucas fuck up four. Both of them said they wouldn't let Indy go out like that.
Technically they've wanted to do 5 since before the original trio of films. The plan was always to do 5 movies, but Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford could never agree on a story for 4.

Not excited, mostly just really curious about this. Lucas gone so that´s a plus.

Hopefully they killed shia off screen. Like they did with connery (though that was stupid, since he drank from the holy grail.......)

Whatever, i´ll probably watch it.

GCX

Take them way and you get a lame concept. It's not the "can" that is in question, is the "should". Rebooting and recasting Ghostbusters is failing to get what made the original work.
I'm not really sure what's left of Indiana Jones if you take out Ford's character and Spielberg's direction. The "archeologist hunting artifacts and dodging nazis and some supernatural stuff" is a really cheesy concept (on purpose) and so easy to do wrong.

Drencrom

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was fucking awful, what makes them think it would be a good idea to make another one 10 years later?

Harrison Ford will be like 75 years old when they film this shit... how... why?

You don't understand. It will still exist!

Ugh

I'm not saying this shouldn't exist. I'm just shocked they're even entertaining the idea of making another one after the horrible fourth flick a decade later.

Anth0ny

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was fucking awful, what makes them think it would be a good idea to make another one 10 years later?

Harrison Ford will be like 75 years old when they film this shit... how... why?

George Lucas is no longer involved.

I'm not really sure what's left of Indiana Jones if you take out Ford's character and Spielberg's direction. The "archeologist hunting artifacts and dodging nazis" thing is a cheesy concept (on purpose) and so easy to do wrong.
Plus we already have alternate takes on the basic premise anyway, with Tomb Raider (getting rebooted soon, possibly with Daisy Ridley) and Uncharted (which has a film in development). Doing "Indiana Jones" without the star, director, or creator would basically just be another "completely new take", which means using the Indiana Jones name to begin with is really just branding.

And the thing is, Indiana Jones is already a love letter to a specific genre of old Hollywood serials. Indiana Jones isn't just loved be caused it's a solid basic idea, it's loved because of the combination of the actor, the director, and the character and concepts Lucas spun out. That all IS what Indiana Jones is. You can take out parts and it still works, but take out the whole and do a "new Jones" with a new writer and a new director and you just have a reboot of a knock-off of 80-year-old serials. Woo. And what's worse, like I said, we already have two fresh takes on Jones coming to theatres anyway.

Oozer3993

I like Crystal Skull, but that wrung about the last bits of "action star" from Harrison Ford. And it already did the whole "make Indy the father role from Last Crusade" thing. If they're dead set on making this, then I demand they finally give us the glory that is Indiana Jones and the Saucermen from Mars, a real, honest-to-god attempt at Indy 4.

Mariolee

Lol I was just thinking about this. I thought the whole point they did what they did in Force Awakens was because Ford was getting up there in age.

Henkka

Banned
Terrible idea.

They should've james bond this thing. The character itself is already as james bondesque as it gets, so I don't understand the need to keep bringing back Ford. Or spielberg for that matter.

I guess the difference between Bond and Indy is that Bond is based on a book. All actors playing Bond are interpretations of an established character, while Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford.

Technically they've wanted to do 5 since before the original trio of films. The plan was always to do 5 movies, but Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford could never agree on a story for 4.

Wow, really? So is this likely a story they planned out a while ago then, meant to close out a 5 movie arc, or was 5 a sort of arbitrary number?

I'm not really sure what's left of Indiana Jones if you take out Ford's character and Spielberg's direction. The "archeologist hunting artifacts and dodging nazis and some supernatural stuff" is a really cheesy concept (on purpose) and so easy to do wrong.

Yeah, I agree with this. Without Ford/ Spielberg the concept is generic and not super enticing on its own. Not sure why people would prefer a movie that would surely just become mimicing the original style over one more attempt to recapture the magic.

Indiana Jones is one of the absolute least rebootable series to me. It's like Austin Powers without Mike Myers or something. It's got potential, but I'd prefer something new and preserving the legacy over trotting out the name for no reason.

Ghostbusters is totally rebootable though, the concept has a lot more unique potential and character independent iconography (Indy just has the whip and hat, which firmly belong to Ford, as Crystal Skull pointed out).

A reboot without Ford could just as easily be like The Goonies 2 or something, just without the Indy score and a less religious focus (which it already moved away from). So, whatever. If you're gonna do Indy 5, you mine as well use Indy while he's around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom