• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle developers "super thrilled" it's headed to PlayStation

Everyone benefits from the game being on more platforms. Including Xbox, they will make what will likely be more money selling it on PS5 even with the license fee to PS, than they will selling $70 copies standalone on Xbox, since Game Pass will almost certainly eat into sales on that platform. Of course it will. I myself might resub to Ultimate over the holidays for a month or two, knowing the game will be out.

It's an argument you could make for any game that was previously exclusive that is decided to go on more than one platform.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
every game should be available on every platform whoever the publisher is . exclusives are becoming a thing of past now
Literally nothing and no one is changing, except for Xbox. Console exclusives are still console exclusives for everybody else.

Phil Spencer has been projecting his own woes as "industry problems." Please don't eat his bullshit.

Last edited:

yazenov

34 million gamepass subscribers at 20 a month equals what? What does that come up too? In 2 months that's 1.2 billion dollars. I'm sure Indiana Jones won't make a fraction of that in Playstation sales.

Umm, you do know that there are hundreds of games on Gamepass and each 3rd party publisher needs to get a cut from that and are paid to put their games on Gamepass.

Revenue does not equal profit. When will you Xbox nuts learn this simple fact? Your post is embarrassing.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
GEOMUpmWUAAf4Gk.jpg

You could keep it
How the fuck they went from making testosterone filled, macho fps wolfenstein to...that?

Holy shit is this gonna be like the last indy movie?

Last edited:

Roberts

If you create something be it films, music, games etc, there is a 99,9%chance you want it to be consumed by as many people as possible. I’m pretty fucking sure Cory Barlog would love God of War to be playable on switch and xbox.

It ain't rocket science. Most of the engagement with the Xbox version is gonna be via Gamepass. The game will actually SELL on PS5 and is the type of single player adventure Playstation is known for. There's zero downside to this.

Ozriel

M$FT
It ain't rocket science. Most of the engagement with the Xbox version is gonna be via Gamepass. The game will actually SELL on PS5 and is the type of single player adventure Playstation is known for. There's zero downside to this.

of course the downside to this is that this could very well cost them hardware sales.

Significant upside potential with sales, if the game turns out great, but there’s always a risk to these things. Might well argue that there’s no downside to Sony putting Helldivers 2 on Xbox since Multiplayer games do well on the platform.

Up to Microsoft to decide where the balance lies between using exclusive to sell consoles, and capturing additional software sales on rival consoles.

Last edited:

BlackTron

You mean PC, because for years I have heard that Xbox has no games, and these there are on Xbox are shit. Even likes of Sea OF thieves, Forza Horizon, Flight `sim was called not game by many blue members etc.

God I can't wait until the sales numbers come out. I assume the story will be "If there was no PS5 version, they would have sold extra copies on Steam and some of those PS5 sales also would have been Xbox sales in dual-console households"

I just gave you guys a free one, take it!!

I hope not. There would be no reason to own a Switch 2 if one could play all Nintendo games on a steam deck thru official channels. What you are arguing is that Nintendo will inevitably become a 3rd party publisher. Reminds me of Uncle Phil, didn't he say something like that in the FTC papers? Like Nintendo would see their future is in software or something like that? I really hope not, because Nintendo really innovates with their hardware. ie Steamdeck is a copy of Nintendo Switch.
1497874594_960307_1497874719_noticia_normal.jpg

Can't wait for them to trip on New Switch U. Also, Steam Deck runs Linux not stripped down Android.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They'll have to budge someday. Hell, Sony even budged with release their games natively on PC, who would've thought that would be a thing.
They release a select few games on PC in the 90's
Kinda like what they're doing now.
But they never saw the PC as competition and used the ports as Advertising.

gow3isben

Sorry but should have been on PS5 day one. This weird six months shit for some games and day 1 for others is strange.

Just make the pivot man it will be best for the developers.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

Umm, you do know that there are hundreds of games on Gamepass and each 3rd party publisher needs to get a cut from that and are paid to put their games on Gamepass.

Revenue does not equal profit. When will you Xbox nuts learn this simple fact? Your post is embarrassing.
Microsoft is making Billions of of Gamepass yearly but isn't making any sort of profit? Most of the games on Gamepass make a percentage on the amount of time their games are played. How many games are added into Gamepass yearly maybe 20 to 30. Even if Microsoft paid for 30 games at 10 million each a year(which they dont) totalling 300,000,000 they'd still make a profit.

nowhat

Microsoft is making Billions of of Gamepass yearly but isn't making any sort of profit? Most of the games on Gamepass make a percentage on the amount of time their games are played. How many games are added into Gamepass yearly maybe 20 to 30. Even if Microsoft paid for 30 games at 10 million each a year(which they dont) totalling 300,000,000 they'd still make a profit.
Microsoft are happy to report the revenue of their gaming division. They do not disclose the profits, or lack thereof. Nor units sold. Just meaningless statistics like MAU. Ever wonder why that is?

bundylove

They are just happy ps fans will pay for the game and therefor avoid being shut down by microsoft in case the game bombs on gamepass.

of course the downside to this is that this could very well cost them hardware sales.

Significant upside potential with sales, if the game turns out great, but there’s always a risk to these things. Might well argue that there’s no downside to Sony putting Helldivers 2 on Xbox since Multiplayer games do well on the platform.

Up to Microsoft to decide where the balance lies between using exclusive to sell consoles, and capturing additional software sales on rival consoles.
I doubt keeping it exclusive moves the needed much in terms of hardware sales. I mean they could have waited till the new year to announce the PS5 release just to see what happens this holiday season, but.....personally I don't think it matters much at this point.

Ristifer

The more, the merrier. If you don't count the Lego games, the last proper Indy game was in, what, 2009? Emperor's Tomb came out in 2003. These should come out a little bit more often, and with a higher potential player base. Hopefully, the game is also enjoyable.

Ozriel

M$FT
A PlayStation release means a MUCH higher potential for success. That’s the point.

Did you even read the comment I was responding to?

My point is, It’ll be launching months after reviews and impressions. If it’s not well received on Steam or Xbox, it won’t be well received on PlayStation. Stands to reason.

A PlayStation release provides potential for significantly more revenue…but only if it was already well received.

Xbox is very unlikely to sell lot of copies of Hellblade 2 on PS5, for example.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I doubt keeping it exclusive moves the needed much in terms of hardware sales. I mean they could have waited till the new year to announce the PS5 release just to see what happens this holiday season, but.....personally I don't think it matters much at this point.

It’s not isolated to this game alone. Every single AAA game they make multi-platform will reinforce the impression that there’s not much benefit in getting an Xbox if you’re a single console owner.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I would also be super thrilled knowing your studio now has a significantly lower likelihood of being shut down. Heck, they also went from a guaranteed 0% chance of royalty bonus to 'very likely' as long as the game is better than mediocre.

It’s not isolated to this game alone. Every single AAA game they make multi-platform will reinforce the impression that there’s not much benefit in getting an Xbox if you’re a single console owner.
Either way I'd suggest the ship has sailed, MS recognizes it and pivoting. I'd say in large part of their own doing, but it is what it is. From the developers POV there's no downside which was my main point since the article is about them and not Xbox gamers.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Either way I'd suggest the ship has sailed, MS recognizes it and pivoting. I'd say in large part of their own doing, but it is what it is. From the developers POV there's no downside which was my main point since the article is about them and not Xbox gamers.

Then it’s strange of you to pitch significant engagement on Xbox via GamePass as a negative, then, since it certainly wouldn’t be from the devs point of view.

But good of you to clarify.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Did you even read the comment I was responding to?

My point is, It’ll be launching months after reviews and impressions. If it’s not well received on Steam or Xbox, it won’t be well received on PlayStation. Stands to reason.

A PlayStation release provides potential for significantly more revenue…but only if it was already well received.

Xbox is very unlikely to sell lot of copies of Hellblade 2 on PS5, for example.
I did and it doesn’t change the point. Games that were well received STILL bombed on Xbox. This leaves the chances of that happening much slimmer and that’s all he was trying to say.

Last edited:
Then it’s strange of you to pitch significant engagement on Xbox via GamePass as a negative, then, since it certainly wouldn’t be from the devs point of view.

But good of you to clarify.
I didn't pitch the Gamepass engagement as anything. I just said on the Xbox most of the engagement is likely to be that way. The game actually 'selling' would be good though, yeah? Not sure I understand what the issue is with my comments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom