• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny

FunkMiller

This fucking turd actually cost $329 million:

yVifjz0.jpg

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

Ehhhhhh, none of that makes much sense. I see the dial
as a "way home device" for archemedies because he knows where the time rifts will happen, but not where they will end, and wants to get back. Mads makes the assumption the rifts go somewhere other than 231 bc. And Helena speculates it was archemedies way home device, not a way to pull in unknown future forces. The entire final act could be reframed in editing with just a few resorts.
but I don't really care what it was originally, I'm content with the final scenes.

They need to do a 20s indy animated series then recast in 10 years. But culturally the media mob won't allow Indy to be Indy, so there is really no point. And novels don't really do that genre justice, though the dirk Pitt type stuff is pretty close I guess. So alas comics or cartoons are really the only viable life left to him I fear.

Though I can see some nasty lara croft/Helena fanfic.....:p

Reactions: Fuz

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ehhhhhh, none of that makes much sense. I see the dial
as a "way home device" for archemedies because he knows where the time rifts will happen, but not where they will end, and wants to get back. Mads makes the assumption the rifts go somewhere other than 231 bc. And Helena speculates it was archemedies way home device, not a way to pull in unknown future forces. The entire final act could be reframed in editing with just a few resorts.
but I don't really care what it was originally, I'm content with the final scenes.

They need to do a 20s indy animated series then recast in 10 years. But culturally the media mob won't allow Indy to be Indy, so there is really no point. And novels don't really do that genre justice, though the dirk Pitt type stuff is pretty close I guess. So alas comics or cartoons are really the only viable life left to him I fear.

Though I can see some nasty lara croft/Helena fanfic.....:p
Karen Allen says the ending filmed was always the one in the script.

She got the script six months before shooting and the ending never changed.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

No explanation for how the bad guys are tracking them so perfectly each time, either. At one point they show up in the middle of the ocean the very moment Indy and co find the latest Macguffin while still underwater...
Kind of like Rise of Skywalker on how Rey her ilks happens find the Macguffin.

Ulysses 31

No explanation for how the bad guys are tracking them so perfectly each time, either. At one point they show up in the middle of the ocean the very moment Indy and co find the latest Macguffin while still underwater...
Or how Voller can take a metal boom at that train speed to the face that sends him flinging off the train and survive without even a scar. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Or how Voller can take a metal boom at that train speed to the face that sends him flinging off the train and survive without even a scar. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Yeah, that MUST have been because he was powered by the spear initially, before they retconned it to be a fake. No other logical explanation.

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. First 2/3 is rough but I thought the final act was pretty good. Once they finally find the second half of the Dial, and the foreshadowing with the 'phoenix with propellors' and the wristwatch is when it really picks up and ultimately leads to a fun and satisfying conclusion IMO.

6/10

Also, lol @ Mutt dying in between movies

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
“There’s no replacing Indiana Jones in any way,” Phoebe Waller-Bridge says. “But I feel like the character herself—she did feel fresh on the page, and there is a sense of, is there room in the world for someone like this?” She reminds me that Indy was always a flawed, reluctant hero, a professor who’s scared of snakes and gets sore after his punch-ups. “So I do think there’s room for a slightly clumsier, bruised, limping female action star, maybe, in the future.”

Maybe she feels fresh on the page because no one in their right mind would write such an unlikeable protagonist with such a confused set of traits.

But Waller-Bridge’s love for Lara Croft stayed with her. “She had an attitude. She was very deliberate in what she wanted to do.” She remembers Croft’s balletic movements through tombs and the game’s moody serenity. “That all changed when they realized that they could market her to be a sex symbol,” she says with a twitch of annoyance.

Only unattractive, uncoordinated, unathletic women should be action heroes, imo.

Fake

Gold Member
Maybe she feels fresh on the page because no one in their right mind would write such an unlikeable protagonist with such a confused set of traits.

Only unattractive, uncoordinated, unathletic women should be action heroes, imo.

Her ego are so over the top that make sad to listen. Is like talking with a Karen. Make me wonder if she want to try make this 'new protagonist' in their solo movies instead of using well stabilish IPs. And is that the thing, they never do. They never put those new stunning protagonist into their own films, they instead want to put into follow up movies.

And I find quite ironic she saying 'here’s no replacing Indiana Jones in any way', but the whole movie give the ideia of him being replace for someone more younger.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Her ego are so over the top that make sad to listen.
“I should naturally have done a lot of Bond research [but] I didn’t do a huge amount of research for it. I’m not very good at homework. That says a lot. It is fun playing in someone else’s sandpit for a while as you learn stuff. I certainly learned what my Bond film would be like. I learned how mine might have been slightly too camp. A bit misogynistic really.” -Phoebe Waller-Bridge on being a writer for No Time To Die

Putting in the work is literally the most important thing you can ever do. It's what separates the Kubricks and Nolans of the world from the sea of mediocrity surrounding them. But handed incredible opportunities left and right, she doesn't bother. She's just naturally the best, I guess.

It's bombing so hard that it's doing worse than Elemental, another Disney flop, in some of the overseas market.

Until Disney, or rather, Hollywood, stops trying to please the twitter activists and to alienate the rest of the general audience, these movies will continue to bomb. People don't want identity agenda messaging shoved in their face. They just want quality entertainment.

Billbofet

I attempted to take my son to this. His stomach has been hurting lately, and we ended up having to leave the movie right around the ticker tape parade scene.
From what I saw, the opening sequence on the train was fine and felt like Indy action - maybe a bit too rubbery with the special effects.

What did not work for me AT ALL was the de-aging. Maybe it was due to seeing it on a crystal clear screen, but every shot, and I do mean every shot, with de-aged Indy's face looked and felt terrible.
I would say it is maybe 20% better than Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One. Each shot of his face ripped me out of any immersion. Mads looks like he's straight out of a Metal Gear Solid cutscene as well. Terrible.

Music was great though!

Having seen 25% of the movie, I'm not likely to go back to see the rest and will wait for it to be released at home.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
De aging looked good. That is the positive.

That third act had so many holes and was so dumb. How did they have a plane on an island they didn’t know they were going to.

Spear of destiny would have been better.

What a dumb dumb thing for the supernatural bit. That really made me laugh.

gothmog

Gold Member
The movie was okay. Last act kinda dragged on a bit too long but for the most part it was watchable. I feel like getting upset at this movie in particular is weird given how many well regarded IPs have been stomped on harder than this one.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
The Cg far shot of Indy running on the train didn’t even look like a person running. Looked like a robot running.

FunkMiller

But Waller-Bridge’s love for Lara Croft stayed with her. “She had an attitude. She was very deliberate in what she wanted to do.” She remembers Croft’s balletic movements through tombs and the game’s moody serenity. “That all changed when they realized that they could market her to be a sex symbol,” she says with a twitch of annoyance.

Oh, do fuck off love.

From the absolute get go, part of Lara's marketing and her appeal was the fact she was a woman with big tits and tiny shorts. Who does Waller Bridge think was playing Tomb Raider in the 90s? Here's a fucking hint: it wasn't women.

But by all means, make another Tomb Raider movie about a sexless, smashing the patriarchy, girl boss Lara Croft, and see how that works out for you.

It's like these people don't want to make money anymore.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I will not see this movie.

I agree with RLM's insinuation that the next Indy will have a female lead.

And I will not watch that either most likely.

Depends on their inevitable breakdown.

Trilobit

"it stands to reason Disney would invest greatly here to revive a franchise"

The thing I don't understand is how big the female audience is for these kinds of franchises compared to male audiences? They all seem to ignore the young male audiences and instead cater to young females with woke sensibilities. When I see Leia slap a male subordinate in the face in the new Star Wars I feel disgusted. When they choose to cast this Phoebe woman in the latest Indiana Jones movie, that makes me very hesitant as she seems super stuck up and boring in the trailers. I want crazy fun in a pulp action adventure.

So what audience are they really trying to appeal to? With Bay's first Transformers movie, there was no question, it was tailor made for boys and young men.

There's nothing wrong if Disney wants to focus on their female audiences, but it has made me search for my entertainment elsewhere.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The thing I don't understand is how big the female audience is for these kinds of franchises compared to male audiences? They all seem to ignore the young male audiences and instead cater to young females with woke sensibilities. When I see Leia slap a male subordinate in the face in the new Star Wars I feel disgusted. When they choose to cast this Phoebe woman in the latest Indiana Jones movie, that makes me very hesitant as she seems super stuck up and boring in the trailers. I want crazy fun in a pulp action adventure.
Agree 100%

No men are decrying a lack of car chases, kung-fu, explosions, or strip club scenes in the new Barbie. Men are perfectly fine letting women have their fantasy. Yet for some reason male fantasy is now toxic and MUST be marketed to women!?!

Why? Pretty simple, really....men BUY that stuff. Men buy comic book movies, action films, and sci-fi and make them BILLION dollar franchises. Women are very soft on romance and emotional heartstrings dramas. Those types of films are much less reliable at the box office.

So woman are just following the money and invading male spaces instead of the reverse.

If there was any actual female money maker genre in Hollywood then some guys should try to flip the script and take it over, Magic Mike style :p

VulcanRaven

I saw this again and its a good movie but there are problems. Action scenes should have been more memorable. Best parts in my opinion are the beginning and the finale. Sad that this doesn't seem to be making money. The budget should have been smaller.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I thought the movie was great.

It did suffer from inconsistent CGI and some weird issues with young Indy's voice not sounding young, but other than that it felt like a proper Indy film through-and-through.

And shit, Harrison Ford really showed up in great shape for his age. I was surprised by how limber he was. Dude's 81 years old for fucks sake.

Really enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Ive decided Im never going to watch this movie. If you want to watch Ford in something different and fun check out Shrinking.

belmarduk

Wow
This is a movie I have been wanting since 1989!

I could not disagree with EviLore EviLore amny more.

If you loved the first three films, this very much captures the spirit of them.

Im tying this on my phone in the theatre right now because Im crying with joy at how fulfilling this movie has been as a lifelong Indiana Jones fan!!

Go see it, GAF! Don’t wait for streaming!

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wow
This is a movie I have been wanting since 1989!

I could not disagree with EviLore EviLore amny more.

If you loved the first three films, this very much captures the spirit of them.

Im tying this on my phone in the theatre right now because Im crying with joy at how fulfilling this movie has been as a lifelong Indiana Jones fan!!

Go see it, GAF! Don’t wait for streaming!
kfOAAaQ.jpg

Kill it with fire!!!

Though this film would have been much better with a 15 years younger Indy and Mutt instead of Helena.

Top Bottom