• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I saw it and left very underwhelmed. Hats off to actually shooting at most of the actual locations instead of greenscreening it (I reckon that's part of why the budget was so insanely high) because that was proper.

But as a movie? Its a very ''eh'' for me. Its a by-the-numbers film.

Though completely not comparable, i watched There Will Be Blood yesterday. And its very painful to me that a looping 5 frame snippet of Daniel Day-Lewis staring at one of the other actors contains more depth than the entirety of Helena Shaw in Dial of Destiny. It is THAT bad.

Wow
This is a movie I have been wanting since 1989!

I could not disagree with @EviLore amny more.

If you loved the first three films, this very much captures the spirit of them.

Im tying this on my phone in the theatre right now because Im crying with joy at how fulfilling this movie has been as a lifelong Indiana Jones fan!!

Go see it, GAF! Don’t wait for streaming!
Im glad you are retconning Crystal Skull in here.

How is Helena Shaw indicative that it captures the Indiana Jones spirit?
Der Untergang is one of my all-time favorite films. It does not cast any Nazis in a good light. Particularly Magda Goebbels.
If Downfall is one of your fave movies, then i am surprised you find DoD this good. When it comes to acting they are completely different worlds apart from eachother, surely you could see that?

I am just having a hard time reading this praise and then you doing the same thing for DoD when the quality of Der Untergang is obvious, whereas in DoD its more about Indiana Jones and The Search for Quality.
That’s not the movie at all. Indy is old and carmudeonly but it’s definitely not a feminist movie.
Nah, its just that Phoebe Waller-Bridge loves to remind us that Indy is a relic of the past. That should be the name of the sequel. Helena Shaw and The Relic of the Past.
I loved this movie and don't understand where all the negativity is coming from. Maybe it was Indy's goddaughter's giant fivehead.
If you geniunely don't understand then you really have to consider if its okay that:
Phoebe Waller-Bridge's only response to Banderas being killed is that of laughter and, after Ford geniunely feels bad for the whole ordeal and literally yells that his friend got murdered, she can only mutter a singular Sorry without it ever having any impact on her. Or the fact that she unironically tells Indy how amazing she is.

Supposely Helena was written to be a likeable character but if this is Disney's idea of strong independent women, which is essentially I am going to talk shit about men because they are weak-ass then please no. Helena is written as if she were a guy but they forget she is a woman.

You know what a strong woman character is? Atomic Blonde. That is how you write a movie with a strong, independent woman, by focussing on the nuances and intricacies of the woman herself. By comparison, Helena Shaw feels like a female version of Hulk Hogan's ''Ah yeah brotha!'' without any of the nuances that make her character memorable.

Uncharted
I love how you compare DoD to this because Uncharted wasn't a great movie either. Atleast Uncharted was more balanced in its mediocreness though.
Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it. After reading comments I was expecting a lot less but I thought all of the things people complaining about were fine and actually positive developments for Indy’s character. Nicely wrapped up
Harrison Ford Run GIF by Paramount Movies

You know what would be awesome? IF
An adult Short Round allowed Indy to stay at Syracuse in the past, allowing Jones to fulfill his destiny. Ofcourse we can't have that because he has to be punched his lights out
They did Indy dirty in this film. And the fact is that revenue stats don't do well for this film.

I saw it and left very underwhelmed. Hats off to actually shooting at most of the actual locations instead of greenscreening it (I reckon that's part of why the budget was so insanely high) because that was proper.

Though completely not comparable, i watched There Will Be Blood yesterday. And its very painful to me that a looping 5 frame snippet of Daniel Day-Lewis staring at one of the other actors contains more depth than the entirety of Helena Shaw in Dial of Destiny. It is THAT bad.

If Downfall is one of your fave movies, then i am surprised you find DoD this good. When it comes to acting they are completely different worlds apart from eachother, surely you could see that?

I am just having a hard time reading this praise and then you doing the same thing for DoD when the quality of Der Untergang is obvious, whereas in DoD its more about Indiana Jones and The Search for Quality.

Nah, its just that Phoebe Waller-Bridge loves to remind us that Indy is a relic of the past. That should be the name of the sequel. Helena Shaw and The Relic of the Past.

If you geniunely don't understand then you really have to consider if its okay that:
Phoebe Waller-Bridge's only response to Banderas being killed is that of laughter and, after Ford geniunely feels bad for the whole ordeal and literally yells that his friend got murdered, she can only mutter a singular Sorry without it ever having any impact on her. Or the fact that she unironically tells Indy how amazing she is.

Supposely Helena was written to be a likeable character but if this is Disney's idea of strong independent women, which is essentially I am going to talk shit about men because they are weak-ass then please no. Helena is written as if she were a guy but they forget she is a woman.

You know what a strong woman character is? Atomic Blonde. That is how you write a movie with a strong, independent woman, by focussing on the nuances and intricacies of the woman herself. By comparison, Helena Shaw feels like a female version of Hulk Hogan's ''Ah yeah brotha!'' without any of the nuances that make her character memorable.

I love how you compare DoD to this because Uncharted wasn't a great movie either. Atleast Uncharted was more balanced in its mediocreness though.

An adult Short Round allowed Indy to stay at Syracuse in the past, allowing Jones to fulfill his destiny. Ofcourse we can't have that because he has to be punched his lights out
They did Indy dirty in this film. And the fact is that revenue stats don't do well for this film.
I think you might have missed the point.

He’s old and burned out. He felt like there was nothing left for him to live for in current day, which is why he just wanted to give up and live in the past (literally). When he wakes up he realises that there are people who love him and he still has a real future to live out. Not someone else’s.

Redneckerz

I think you might have missed the point.

He’s old and burned out. He felt like there was nothing left for him to live for in current day, which is why he just wanted to give up and live in the past (literally). When he wakes up he realises that there are people who love him and he still has a real future to live out. Not someone else’s.
This is ignoring that
Helena suddenly has a change of heart and wants him back to the present (Aside the one correct assertion from her that having Indy stuck in Syracuse will introduce timefuckery) and Indy still having a bullet wound. Oh right, that never gets mentioned at all lest the fact that he was shot. Indy says ouch and the wound has barely any implications for the rest of the film.

This also ignores the fact that those people who love him are barely visible in the movie. Rhys-Davies? He is deduced to a cabby driver. Marion? Lets sneak her in at the end. Indy's own son is completely retconned in favor for Helena, who complains to Indy how she never had a father figure. But Indy isn't her father to begin with? So why lambast him for something he literally has no control over?

But yes, i am missing the point that DoD is a very fine positive development arc for Indiana Jones. The Dial of Destiny isn't a very good movie, but it isn't very bad either.

This is ignoring that
Helena suddenly has a change of heart and wants him back to the present (Aside the one correct assertion from her that having Indy stuck in Syracuse will introduce timefuckery) and Indy still having a bullet wound. Oh right, that never gets mentioned at all lest the fact that he was shot. Indy says ouch and the wound has barely any implications for the rest of the film.

This also ignores the fact that those people who love him are barely visible in the movie. Rhys-Davies? He is deduced to a cabby driver. Marion? Lets sneak her in at the end. Indy's own son is completely retconned in favor for Helena, who complains to Indy how she never had a father figure. But Indy isn't her father to begin with? So why lambast him for something he literally has no control over?

But yes, i am missing the point that DoD is a very fine positive development arc for Indiana Jones. The Dial of Destiny isn't a very good movie, but it isn't very bad either.
Indy teaches her that there’s more to life than being a money hungry crim, hence the change of heart. She, in return snaps him back to reality with those who love him. He made her realise she was being a selfish dick, and in the end she did the same for him. [\SPOLIER]

I agree, it wasn’t the best Indy movie, but it was a lot better than I was expecting having read other’s comments here.

Redneckerz

Indy teaches her that there’s more to life than being a money hungry crim, hence the change of heart. She, in return snaps him back to reality with those who love him. He made her realise she was being a selfish dick, and in the end she did the same for him. [\SPOLIER]

I agree, it wasn’t the best Indy movie, but it was a lot better than I was expecting having read other’s comments here.
It only took them a entire movie to come to that realization. If, say, this moment occurred half an hour in, just this alone would have made DoD a much more entertaining ordeal. Helena could be a great character with just that change.

VulcanRaven

I don't think Indy should have stayed there. I was relieved that he didn't and that punching scene was funny. Many laughed at the theatre. Him staying would have been a bad ending to the series.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Gonna go see it on Tuesday when it's half off at the movies. So is it between indy and flash to see who lost the most money this year?

At least people can hate watch jennifer lawrence fully nude in her new movie now and we can get back on track

I actually meant the games as I had forgotten the film existed but the point remains the same!

Okay, you have me curious now. What racial slur was that?
The CIA lady refers to the guy from The Predator (can't remember either characters name so feel free to draw conclusions from that!) as something like a 'trigger happy cr*cker' it just felt entirely unnecessary and reminded me I was watching something from 2023 when tonally the rest of the film was very in keeping with the original 3.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The CIA lady refers to the guy from The Predator (can't remember either characters name so feel free to draw conclusions from that!) as something like a 'trigger happy cr*cker' it just felt entirely unnecessary and reminded me I was watching something from 2023 when tonally the rest of the film was very in keeping with the original 3.
Ahhh, yes. That sassy black agent was such a bizarre inclusion. What script dealt with that plot? I can only guess that Mads somehow convinced some neo-fascist American agents to jump ship? Or where those guys nazi infiltrators into the US government? Why did she tolerate ANY killing of US civilians? Was Mads technically working for the US government the whole time.

She mentioned that the search for the dial was "his side project" and it seemed like it was tolerated while he still worked on the moon mission, and was his origins as a nazi a secret even to the US? So much of that b plot was muddy and silly. That Jackie Brown got unceremoniously popped and left dead like so much trash was a really odd way to end the character.

xandaca

(FULL SPOILERS)

Thought this was bad. Not as bad as Crystal Skull, because the latter half of that movie felt like it was made entirely of lousy CGI whereas Dial at least had more exterior location shooting to give it a degree of weight and realism. Aside from that minor saving grace, Dial has little to recommend it. Its lows were perhaps not quite as low as Crystal Skull, but I'm hard-pressed to think of anything about it I liked. The action was shambolically shot and edited, completely lacking Spielberg's knack for coherent geography, and drowning in that artificial lighting which makes everything look like a videogame (especially the opening sequence - compare to the much more stylish, efficient, amusing and suspenseful train sequence from Crusade). The plot used the same structure as Rise of Skywalker - go to a place to find a gubbins to lead you to another place, and so on - and consequently failed to establish any meaningful stakes and made most of the movie feel like time-wasting until the villains inevitably got far enough along to reveal what they're up to.

The logic behind the Antikythera and what the Nazis thought they were going to do with it seemed shaky at best: as far as I can tell, Archimedes built it so that anyone who found it would believe it would allow them to time travel, yet it would only ever lead them to the time fissure taking them back to Ancient Syracuse. So if it always leads to one location, what do the numbers/characters on the dial do? If there's some system of using coordinates, how could Archimedes have established a plausible method of 'stacking the deck' if the user is choosing a time and location of his own choosing? It's not as though making one number more prominent, as in Helena's card trick, would work, and the user isn't picking randomly (as per the cards) but making specific calculations. How does it therefore always lead to that specific fissure? What did Voller think he was affecting by moving the dial's hands, and what made him believe one fissure would lead to one particular time and place? Either my friend and I are both idiots because neither of us could work it out, or there's a lot of seemingly crucial information missing to hold everything together in terms of the plans of both Voller and Archimedes.

The reason I'm not prepared to give it much grace is because myriad such writing shortcuts and inconsistencies were present throughout, and the film wasn't entertaining enough to distract from them (if a movie is compelling enough, I generally won't notice plot holes). There were two huge time-of-day changes, when Indy and Basil jumped off the Nazi train in the middle of the night and landed in the river in early morning, then when Indy arrived at the Tangiers hotel at night and left in bright sunlight despite seemingly only being there for a very short time. The movie felt far more interested in Helena than Indy, and she must have the punch of a ten-tonne truck to knock him out at the end for the duration of time it took to fly back to 'present' Syracuse, then New York, then get his wounds treated, then back to his flat and into bed. The intro played the same joke (Indy surprised at entering a train carriage full of Nazis) three times. Every scene, particularly the action, felt dragged out fifty percent longer than it needed or had any right to. The only good joke in the film - eels playing on Indy's fear of snakes - was ruined by being explicitly explained immediately. A surprising amount of innocent death and Indy being framed for murder for some reason (lucky nobody was watching the airport) which everyone apparently forgot about at the end, even though everyone who could have exonerated him had died. Helena saying Indy couldn't have been left in the past because of the butterfly effect even though it had been established at Archimedes' tomb that their trip to the past had 'already' taken place and the consequences were therefore set in stone...

I could go on and on and on with the frustrations and laziness in the writing - isn't it great that Indiana Jones' last adventure is effectively to save Hitler? And how his last big character arc leads him back to exactly where he was at the end of the last film (one son down, I suppose, so that's a plus)? Or how Mutt died because he actively chose to enlist for Vietnam despite being characterised as a rebellious, anti-establishment type in the last film? - but what sums the movie up is how completely pointless it was, another soulless Disney blockbuster this time wearing an Indiana Jones skin, and an actor and character forced back into play way beyond his expiration date for more hollow nostalgia. It looks, sounds and acts like every other half-hearted cashgrab (even John Williams' score is totally forgettable) that offers nothing and goes nowhere. Crystal Skull is a slightly worse movie, but at least felt like it was trying to do its own thing (which is sad in its own way). This was more like watching a dementia-addled relative coughing up barely coherent flashes of memory in his last moments of life. Just dispiriting.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Those are all great points but I still liked it. Though I don't think I've seen Crustal Skull since the theater and I'm not sure if/when I'll rewatch this one.

xandaca

Those are all great points but I still liked it. Though I don't think I've seen Crustal Skull since the theater and I'm not sure if/when I'll rewatch this one.

If you like it, you like it. There's a ton of entertainment I enjoy which objectively has a lot wrong with it, but subjectively I got something out of it no matter how valid the arguments against its component parts are. I tend to explain why I like or dislike (or was indifferent to) things at length because I tend to process my feelings about movies, stories, TV etc. quite analytically - previously being a film reviewer and aspiring novelist probably played into the habit too - and being specific can lead to more interesting conversations. None of that means there's anything wrong with 'just liking' something though.

kunonabi

I actually watched crystal skull the other day for the first time since opening day and it wasn't nearly as terrible as I remember. It still has some insanely dumb moments and the second half of the movie is a mess but it still manages to be a fun little movie for most of it. Nowhere near the original trilogy of course but compared to a lot of the rubbish lately it's a decent enough adventure flick.

Futaleufu

I thought the best joke of the film was the kid asking Indy if he knew the Wright brothers because it was making fun of Harrison Ford's age too.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I thought the best joke of the film was the kid asking Indy if he knew the Wright brothers because it was making fun of Harrison Ford's age too.
I'm not gonna check but it wouldn't surprise me, AT ALL, if he didn't meet them in one of the Young Indiana Jones episodes. That was the point of that show, Indy meeting famous folks, Forrest Gump style.

TheWraith

We know that they re-shot the ending.

Obviously I'm talking about the theatrical cut but it wouldn't surprise me if big changes/edits edits were made.

Eh we know from multiple sources that the ending in the movie is EXACTLY as first scripted. Most recently Karen Allen mentioned in an interview they shot the exact same ending scene, for which she received her script 6 months before shooting. The rumours about a possible ending have been proven very much not true.

Last edited:

Mitsurux

Ended up seeing this over the weekend. Felt a lot like Chrystal Skull to me, ie a movie that could have been so much better with a few different creative choices. (Script, pacing, various scenes). So basically Meh, and what could have been.

Teletraan1

Banned
So funny seeing this movie get trounced by smaller studio films. Especially The sound of Voldemort. I just hope that Evilore doesn't come into this thread talk about a political thing and then when people respond to HIS assertions close the thread for politics. That that would be a bitch move.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So funny seeing this movie get trounced by smaller studio films. Especially The sound of Voldemort. I just hope that Evilore doesn't come into this thread talk about a political thing and then when people respond to HIS assertions close the thread for politics. That that would be a bitch move.
Well, he IS the owner of the site. Why else set up, run, and maintain a site like this if you couldn't mic drop every now and again? :p

I see this summer as a clarion call to studios that they need to regroup and retreat a bit. Focus on the core film making skills that work and dial in the signaling.

Consider Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken. NOT a film high in the Gaf radar, but I saw it with the kiddos and WOW, was it wretched. Not just from a story perspective, kinda typical for kids films, bit it lacked ANY of the DreamWorks charm and is a "woke" film in many respects (when it is not being incompetent). So that's another black eye for this summer as the film looked pretty expensive. Puss in Boots TLW level it most certainly was not, or even a mediocre Shrek or minions level.

So it may take a few years to see an effect, but I think this summer is gonna cause a redirect for lots of studios to head back towards more traditional techniques.

AmuroChan

Well, he IS the owner of the site. Why else set up, run, and maintain a site like this if you couldn't mic drop every now and again? :p

I see this summer as a clarion call to studios that they need to regroup and retreat a bit. Focus on the core film making skills that work and dial in the signaling.

Consider Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken. NOT a film high in the Gaf radar, but I saw it with the kiddos and WOW, was it wretched. Not just from a story perspective, kinda typical for kids films, bit it lacked ANY of the DreamWorks charm and is a "woke" film in many respects (when it is not being incompetent). So that's another black eye for this summer as the film looked pretty expensive. Puss in Boots TLW level it most certainly was not, or even a mediocre Shrek or minions level.

So it may take a few years to see an effect, but I think this summer is gonna cause a redirect for lots of studios to head back towards more traditional techniques.

You're more optimistic than I am. If these studios actually want to turn the ship around, they'd have to fire a majority of their writers and bring in all new staff who's not going to inject social commentary or themselves into everything they write.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You're more optimistic than I am. If these studios actually want to turn the ship around, they'd have to fire a majority of their writers and bring in all new staff who's not going to inject social commentary or themselves into everything they write.
Well, technically every writer just fired themselves with the strike, so if there was ever an opportunity to reconsolidate the writers rooms, it's now.

AmuroChan

Well, technically every writer just fired themselves with the strike, so if there was ever an opportunity to reconsolidate the writers rooms, it's now.

Sure, but is anyone really expecting the two sides to not reach a deal eventually, like they've always done in the past?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sure, but is anyone really expecting the two sides to not reach a deal eventually, like they've always done in the past?
Well, it MUST end eventually or the entire industry will collapse (or, in reality, the producers win, every writer gets a new raw deal or hits the streets, and all the actors, directors, and stage hands just look the other way because they wanna keep working).

But my point is that after 3-6+ months are the studios under ANY obligation to hire back the same writers? Seems like most new shows would be cancelled or never really got started and could draft a new writers room. Existing shows, coming off hiatus, could probably draft a new room as well if the showrunner wants it. So if the producers are reading the tea leaves and see that the overall audience acceptance of "hyper progressive" narratives never materialized and the whole thing is collapsing, then they can pressure the showrunners to get the writers back to basics or hire writers with established bona fides rather than the riskier "new voices" type stuff.

Fake

Gold Member
I saw the interview with Steven about that woman and wow... He is quite right.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Well, it MUST end eventually or the entire industry will collapse (or, in reality, the producers win, every writer gets a new raw deal or hits the streets, and all the actors, directors, and stage hands just look the other way because they wanna keep working).

But my point is that after 3-6+ months are the studios under ANY obligation to hire back the same writers? Seems like most new shows would be cancelled or never really got started and could draft a new writers room. Existing shows, coming off hiatus, could probably draft a new room as well if the showrunner wants it. So if the producers are reading the tea leaves and see that the overall audience acceptance of "hyper progressive" narratives never materialized and the whole thing is collapsing, then they can pressure the showrunners to get the writers back to basics or hire writers with established bona fides rather than the riskier "new voices" type stuff.

The writers union won't sign a deal without all the writers having their contracts renewed under the new terms. So yea, they'll all be back, at least at the beginning. Whether the studios then decide to cancel shows and fire people later on would be on a case-by-case scenario.

Eh we know from multiple sources that the ending in the movie is EXACTLY as first scripted. Most recently Karen Allen mentioned in an interview they shot the exact same ending scene, for which she received her script 6 months before shooting. The rumours about a possible ending have been proven very much not true.

So John Williams and Harrison Ford are wrong then?

Dr.Morris79

No explanation for how the bad guys are tracking them so perfectly each time, either. At one point they show up in the middle of the ocean the very moment Indy and co find the latest Macguffin while still underwater...
That sounds like some quality writing right there! I'd of loved to have been in the writers room when this got drafted..

Ten minutes in and it's lunch time.

Btw, the director also claimed that time travel wasn’t in the movie.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The writers union won't sign a deal without all the writers having their contracts renewed under the new terms. So yea, they'll all be back, at least at the beginning. Whether the studios then decide to cancel shows and fire people later on would be on a case-by-case scenario.
But shows are getting canceled, like Daredevil. So those writers won't be back. Sure, shows in the middle of filming MIGHT restart with the same crew, but at the rate it is going, we are gonna see a lot of half seasons of stuff then a reset with new writers rooms because it's been a year since anything was made.

TheWraith

So John Williams and Harrison Ford are wrong then?
John Williams thing about the ending music could have been anything. Please entertain me with the Harrison Ford quote.
Btw, the director also claimed that time travel wasn’t in the movie.
No:
“One more time. No one is ‘taking over’ or replacing Indy or donning his hat, nor is he being ‘erased’ through some contrivance. And he never was, not in any cut or script — but trolls will troll — that’s how they get their clicks.”
"We’re not shooting & never shot any new scenes or "alt endings". Our film is 99% finished, getting rated by MPAA & VFX being completed."

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Must have been some punch to keep Indy unconscious from Syracuse in the past to him waking up in his bed in 1960s New York. Helena must have Deontay Wilder levels of punching power to put Indy into a coma.

Ulysses 31

Must have been some punch to keep Indy unconscious from Syracuse in the past to him waking up in his bed in 1960s New York. Helena must have Deontay Wilder levels of punching power to put Indy into a coma.
Indeed. He was dying and it even cleared his wound and murder charges back in his timeline!

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
John Williams thing about the ending music could have been anything. Please entertain me with the Harrison Ford quote.

No:
“One more time. No one is ‘taking over’ or replacing Indy or donning his hat, nor is he being ‘erased’ through some contrivance. And he never was, not in any cut or script — but trolls will troll — that’s how they get their clicks.”
"We’re not shooting & never shot any new scenes or "alt endings". Our film is 99% finished, getting rated by MPAA & VFX being completed."
See, I don't buy this for one second. If what we saw was always what it was, then they did some TERRIBLE character work for this film. I'll spoiler it but since the film is basically doe theatrically maybe we can all agree to dispense with them going forward.

Indy suffers a personal loss that, when paired with his retirement, general disaffectation with life, and a sense that the world is passing him by, leads him to join one last adventure with his goddaughter, who is young, vibrant, has a thirst for knowledge, but also a mercenary streak that Indy had himself. Ok, the set-up is actually pretty good.

But then we get this murder charge and all this messy american nazi stuff that makes no sense. Mads isn't the leader of a vast organization, he seems to own like 3-4 henchmen at best, the rest are actual government agents he has conned? Other than an attempt to tie in the moon landing and remind folks that the US used nazi scientists to get there, Mads could have just been a legacy Nazi based out of Argentina or wherever using stolen gold to pay for his plane trips chasing Indy and it would have saved us 15 minutes of screen time and several pointless characters.

And Indy with Helena goes nowhere. She talks a big game like he should have a relationship with her but it's all decades in the past. He doesn't guide her, mentor her, or really do anything except provide the first part of the dial and then follow her around trying to stop her from selling something he had just stuffed in a drawer (and then seemed pretty content to leave it there for eternity?) and follow her clues to the next piece. She isn't presented with a moral choice to become an Indy or a Belloque, she is just physically thwarted at times and then does a total heel turn at the end with a bunch of knowing smug smiles that she somehow "saved" Indy by snapping him out of his funk and taking him away from his own chosen destiny. This was a decision better made by Marion or Mutt, or really ANYONE with history with Indy, not this rando who has no vested interest in Indy's fate because she has nothing to thank him for.

If the intent was never to position her as a carry-on Indy type figure, then why make her SO similar to him? She has the same mystery obsessed distant father, the same carefree rascally lifestyle, the same deep knowledge of archeology, even the same kid sidekick. The only story reason would be to show Indy his own dark path and have him carry her out of it, OR to birth a new archeologist with a tip of the hat (heh heh) to the old one. But they do neither with her, she ends the film in the exact place she started.

And this doesn't even get into the mess of the dial itself, what it does, why it was hidden instead of just destroyed, yadda yadda. That I'll excuse because it's just a MacGuffin. But the CHARACTER stuff, that is inexcusable. They could have made Helena a more regular character, wanting to close out this chapter of her fathers life, who then gets wrapped up in the chase between Indy and Mads. She doesn't have to be a damsel in distress either, she could have been a doctor, a scientist, or an astronaut, anything really, just not a taller, thinner clone of Indy for no purpose. Or give her a REAL choice, the path of profit at any cost, or a moral decision with repercussions. Or SHOW US that Indy found himself again IN HER, by seeing that he can influence her away from what he could have been, instead of whatever it was we got. Indy tried to talk Elsa down about the grail and failed. Let him NOW talk Helena down from a similar choice and SUCCEED.

Anyway, just my 2 cents :p

The film works pretty well as a simple adventure romp. It just did Indy and Helena, dirty as characters AND IT DIDN'T NEED TO. Just a little more attention to her or a little less "make her a strong wah-man!" and the film would have benefitted dramatically I think.

AmuroChan

But shows are getting canceled, like Daredevil. So those writers won't be back. Sure, shows in the middle of filming MIGHT restart with the same crew, but at the rate it is going, we are gonna see a lot of half seasons of stuff then a reset with new writers rooms because it's been a year since anything was made.

I'm not aware that Daredevil has been canceled. The page is still up on Disney+. Production is suspended due to the strike, just like any other show.

He explicitly said they are shooting another ending.

No:
There was another tweet where he said that there is no time travel:

2023.07.07-09.54-boundingintocomics-64a8898368181.png

Top Bottom