• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

BobTheFork said:
The town still looks good, and comics are good, the story is really good so far. The Combat I'd say is the biggest improvement over the first game. If anyone thinks it's worse they are flatly rejecting all the additional to enemies and combat, additions that feel very well balanced.

Combat is well balance but I hate that damn "cinematic camera" that comes up when I'm trying to fight. Most annoying aspect of the game by far.

Just thinking of the possibilities of a full expanded tools set with these monsters and helicopters is exciting.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Combat is well balance but I hate that damn "cinematic camera" that comes up when I'm trying to fight. Most annoying aspect of the game by far.
It hasn't bothered mt at all honestly. I think they do the transition into and out of the camera mode really well, so it doesn't distract me if I'm fighting and trying to get somewhere. The only tip for that is if you don't upgrade the melee finishers to super and ultra you don't get that extra camera pan on the finishing move.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Something about standards have change, reviewers trying to hold back on those 9s and 10s
Basically the 8s are the new 9s.

M.D

Deadly Cyclone said:
Thing is, a lot of the reviews are saying 2 is better than 1, but giving it a lower score. It's wacky.

Here's a tip - don't ever trust gaming journalism

What's also awesome (minor spoiler about gameplay mechanic)
is that the whole game so far, every time you pause you see where The Beast is on the east coast of the US as he comes down to new Marais. The entire game they just keep counting down where the beast is the when he will get there. It gets creepy lol

Deadly Cyclone said:
Thing is, a lot of the reviews are saying 2 is better than 1, but giving it a lower score. It's wacky.
It's only wacky if you give a shit about reviews and reviewers.

BobTheFork said:
is that the whole game so far, every time you pause you see where The Beast is on the east coast of the US as he comes down to new Marais. The entire game they just keep counting down where the beast is the when he will get there. It gets creepy lol

It's only wacky if you give a shit about reviews and reviewers.
People give a shit about reviews. But this shit happens constantly. It is hype that has and will always be the conteibuting factor for reviews. Shit like la noire god of war 3 no matter how shitty the game is will outscore other B tier franchises. This happens time and time again. Does it seem fair that developer and ip name matter more than the quality of the game? I am very adamant about game journalism needing to be completely independent from game developers. As of now game journalism is unethical and game industry is corrupt. I feel bad honestly for most of game developers because of this

Irish

The content of that GamePro review was weird as hell. The reviewer seemed really mad a lot of the time.

(Also, good > evil!)

Curufinwe

French said:
Rating the second game less than the first one is so stupid, even if I don't care about reviews.

Gaming journalism is a joke.

Standards change over time. You're just going to have to deal with that, and the fact that review scores max out at 100% so Bioshock Infinite is not going to have an 103 average on Metacritic even if it's a much better game than Bioshock.

U2NUMB

Well.. after reading a couple Red Faction reviews I am switching my pre order to InFamous 2.. The videos sold me on it. Is there positive impressions of the user created content?

I'm actually surprised about how little I care about these reviews, I don't think I've ever been more sure about a game since Uncharted 2.

hebrew hammer said:
People give a shit about reviews. But this shit happens constantly. It is hype that has and will always be the conteibuting factor for reviews. Shit like la noire god of war 3 no matter how shitty the game is will outscore other B tier franchises. This happens time and time again. Does it seem fair that developer and ip name matter more than the quality of the game? I am very adamant about game journalism needing to be completely independent from game developers. As of now game journalism is unethical and game industry is corrupt. I feel bad honestly for most of game developers because of this
Who is 'people'? I don't care, and I think tons and tons of people here don't either, so that term doesn't properly cover the situation.

What I don't like is that people's complaints seem to amount to 'it's not fair'
It's not fair that a review is going to hurt sales
It's not fair that they can say it's a better game and give it a lower score
It's not fair that we can't force some kind of standardization to the concept of reviewer opinion.
I think 'fair' is too often a self serving idea that people need to get over.

It's not unethical or corrupt for two people to play these games and give them different scores.

hebrew hammer said:
I am very adamant about game journalism needing to be completely independent from game developers.
How is the review NOT independent from Sucker Punch in this case?

Pre Ordered it today. Can't wait. Didn't know it came out on the 10th over here. That sucks seeing as I'm going away on the 11th. But it's nice to see I have it waiting for me when I come home.

BobTheFork said:
Who is 'people'? I don't care, and I think tons and tons of people here don't either, so that term doesn't properly cover the situation.

What I don't like is that people's complaints seem to amount to 'it's not fair'
It's not fair that a review is going to hurt sales
It's not fair that they can say it's a better game and give it a lower score
It's not fair that we can't force some kind of standardization to the concept of reviewer opinion.
I think 'fair' is too often a self serving idea that people need to get over.

It's not unethical or corrupt for two people to play these games and give them different scores.

How is the review NOT independent from Sucker Punch in this case?
Independent rant. I am saying that captivate, konami conference, Sony day, e3, etc is stuff I don't participate in. Shit like having advertising rights that get revoked after a bad review. Going to game companies buildings and having community managers tell you all about the game. This stuff is plain out screwed up.

Feep

Banned
Not sure if it was posted...here's my in-depth review for G4TV. (Freelancing rules.)

Feel free to ask me any questions. = D

Edit: Oh, it was posted, never mind.

Re-edit:
French said:
Rating the second game less than the first one is so stupid, even if I don't care about reviews.

Gaming journalism is a joke.
Not to get testy here, but seriously, shut up. I didn't review the first game, and inFAMOUS 2 has enough flaws that I couldn't in good conscience give it a perfect score. G4 does not allow half scores, so I gave it a 4.

How about not relying on a single quantitative value to get the full impression of a full 1,500 word review? Reading is fundamental, kid.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
The one drawback of Amazon - never matching broken street date releases. Can't wait for this, but I'll probably order it the week after E3 so that I will actually play it when it arrives.

Feep said:
Not sure if it was posted...here's my in-depth review for G4TV. (Freelancing rules.)

Re-edit:
Not to get testy here, but seriously, shut up. I didn't review the first game, and inFAMOUS 2 has enough flaws that I couldn't in good conscience give it a perfect score. G4 does not allow half scores, so I gave it a 4.

How about not relying on a single quantitative value to get the full impression of a full 1,500 word review? Reading is fundamental, kid.

Oh snap.

Snipes424

Irish said:
The content of that GamePro review was weird as hell. The reviewer seemed really mad a lot of the time.

(Also, good > evil!)

It felt like to me he wanted to hate the game.

He also contradicts himself a lot, so just another case of "gaming journalism."

Feep said:

Re-edit:

You didn't review the first one, thats the point. People who understood the opinions of the first reviewer wanted to see how the sequel ranked along those lines. Its that simple.

If we ARE talking about review scores then we need to ask why the first game got a 5 star, not why the second didn't/ I love Infamous but there were some big issue with the game as a whole IMO. It was not a 5 star game; the huge improvements they've made make that clear. The 2nd one has some issues too, but it's outstanding.

I can't say enough about how much I love the combat so far. Having to fight a few giant monsters and a helicopter at the same time is chaos enough but it leaves me wondering what could be coming in Infamous 3, or even at the end of this game.

Feep

Banned
TheFuryMGS3 said:
You didn't review the first one, thats the point. People who understood the opinions of the first reviewer wanted to see how the sequel ranked along those lines. Its that simple.
That's fine, and I apologize for that...they contacted me to do this review, so I did it. But the kneejerk bullshit of "gaming journalism lol" is intellectually dishonest and personally insulting.

Loudninja

Feep said:
That's fine, and I apologize for that...they contacted me to do this review, so I did it. But the kneejerk bullshit of "gaming journalism lol" is fucking intellectually dishonest and personally insulting.
Eh people are talking about Gamepro.

DrBo42

Feep said:

Re-edit:

Were there any included difficulty modes to help with your feeling of being too powerful?

BobTheFork said:
Oh man that sounds great. Very nice touch.

That kind of makes me think that a very different inFAMOUS 2 could have taken some cues from Majora's Mask and make it so you'd be on a timer with what's coming. Plus you'd have an in story reason and ability to turn back time.

theDeeDubs

Feep said:

Re-edit:

I'm curious what games this gen you've felt deserve a full 5. Not that your score bothers me because I feel some games are so good that reviews are kind of pointless for them; this like an Uncharted or Gears being one of them. I just like having a taste background of reviewers.

The Lamp

The review numbers are making absolutely no impact on my decision to buy this game. It's better than the first, and the first was one of my favorite open-world games ever made. The "journalists" can bumble over their numbered scores, I'm going to enjoy this game. :p

Feep

Banned
-Red_Mage- said:
I'm curious what games this gen you've felt deserve a full 5. Not that your score bothers me because I feel some games are so good that reviews are kind of pointless for them; this like an Uncharted or Gears being one of them. I just like having a taste background of reviewers.
Hmmm...

Super Meat Boy, Portal, Vanquish, Team Fortress 2, Uncharted 2, Mirror's Edge (HUGE fan), Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Ghost Trick...maybe a few other assorted DS titles here and there.

And yeah, I just read that GamePro review...dude was angry. At least one of the "good" missions was a ton of fun.

Rengoku

I think sequels in general are reviewed more harshly. Most reviewers go into it looking at what new features/mechanics they bring to the table. Most of the time the sequel has to be drastically revamped in order to get a better score. New IPs on the other hand have it easier. Take for example LA Noire, as long as they have a couple fresh new ideas, they get a pass on some shoddy combat & driving mechanics. Noire gets a 5/5 on G4 despite that, I guess because the reviewer was so enamored with the fresh new experience.

Feep

Banned
Rengoku said:
I think sequels in general are reviewed more harshly. Most reviewers go into it looking at what new features/mechanics they bring to the table. Most of the time the sequel has to be drastically revamped in order to get a better score. New IPs on the other hand have it easier. Take for example LA Noire, as long as they have a couple fresh new ideas, they get a pass on some shoddy combat & driving mechanics. Noire gets a 5/5 on G4 despite that, I guess because the reviewer was so enamored with the fresh new experience.
Noire wouldn't get a 5 from me. Maybe I'm just harsh. = (

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So my Target now has it in stock but said they won't sell it cause its "street dated." Should I go there and try to buy it anyways? lol

An-Det

Kaako said:
So my Target now has it in stock but said they won't sell it cause its "street dated." Should I go there and try to buy it anyways? lol

Worth a shot, but it didnt work for me yesterday. I went to one near my work, and they said there were still 3 copies at one near my apartment. I get there and they unfortunately know it shouldnt be out yet. I suppose I have to wait for my Hero edition next week.

kodt

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:

A game can be better technically, but overall it is less fun because you already experienced it in the first one. On paper it may make improvements to the first one, but the first one may have still been more fun since it was a fresh idea.

Reviews are subjective. Numbers don't matter, they are only for the lazy who can't take the time to read a review.

This is why I prefer reviews with no scores or just the "Buy it, Play it, Skip it" system.

DrBo42

Feep said:
Noire wouldn't get a 5 from me. Maybe I'm just harsh. = (
I'd still like to know if there were any harder difficulties to deal with your issue of feeling too powerful.

I just saw Hot Fuzz within the last few months, so (side mission spoiler)
The mission where you have to take out ~50 'living statues' just killed me

Just 'finished' the first island. I'm not going anywhere until I do the side missions and shards though.

Also, to anyone wondering about blast shards (minor power spoiler)
there is a power you get for completing lots of side missions that shows you the closest shard no matter where it is. This will make finding the last ones much easier.

Feep

Banned
DrBo42 said:
I'd still like to know if there were any harder difficulties to deal with your issue of feeling too powerful.
Yeah, but it didn't seem to change much. But really, it's not that I never died...I did, occasionally, even though 1.5 seconds of draining nearby power sources restores your life to full...but that I just didn't feel as though my powers were ever tested. I wanted some kind of battle between me and a foe with even half the badass shit I could do. Even the biggest monsters only have one or two predictable attacks. It was disappointing.

The Lamp

Rengoku said:
This is stupid though because it leads to

"They forgot what made the previous game(s) fun. 7/10"
"It's just more of the same. 7/10"

Seriously. To hell with it lol.

DrBo42 said:

Everyone keeps saying that the game is a bit on the easy side, but that doesn't bother me. I want to feel powerful.

Well the first game felt harder with evil powers and I think the 2nd may be as well and for the same reasons. The scope of the powers is more focused and harder hitting on the good side and more set for widespread damage with the evil powers. They also repeat a power from the first game where
the good side gets an ability that recharges power when you hit with a bolt attack. This lead to running out of power far less often

Honestly, if anyone is trying to make the easier, I would recommend playing evil first then good on hard. I didn't, but I want the extra challenge.

U2NUMB

The Lamp said:
Everyone keeps saying that the game is a bit on the easy side, but that doesn't bother me. I want to feel powerful.

Bingo for me.. this is why I am excited for this game. I want to dominate and pretty much feel like a superhero so this does not upset me at all.

BobTheFork said:
Well the first game felt harder with evil powers and I think the 2nd may be as well and for the same reasons. The scope of the powers is more focused and harder hitting on the good side and more set for widespread damage with the evil powers. They also repeat a power from the first game where
the good side gets an ability that recharges power when you hit with a bolt attack. This lead to running out of power far less often

Honestly, if anyone is trying to make the easier, I would recommend playing evil first then good on hard. I didn't, but I want the extra challenge.
I dunno... Evil is helpful on Hard even if it's technically 'weaker' because you don't need to worry so much about bystanders and can just chuck grenades and rockets at enemies until they die, which is pretty nice. Not to mention the fact that draining the life out of bodies all the time is extremely handy.

Top Bottom