• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
upJTboogie said:
How much were there?
305 I think.

brandonh83 said:
I grew really, really tired of the massive enemy encounters in the first game almost to the point where it completely killed my enjoyment and experience. Is the sequel similar when it comes to the quantity of enemies that you have to deal with all the time? If it is, I'll probably skip it.
You don't get as many random encounters while walking down the streets and they don't seem to get a hard on for you like they did in the first game. The story missions on the other hand do throw quite a bit of enemies at you. It's easier to wipe out close groups of enemies this time around though especially with some of the new powers (tornado).

TheFuryMGS3 said:
Was it more of a challenge but helped with a new gameplay system or just easier?
The new gameplay stuff helps (the locations seem to linger a tiny bit longer in the minimap and they're easier to make out), but it's definitely easier thanks to their new color (bright purple) and their tighter placement. Everything just feels closer together and usually when you pick one up there's another one within sight and then another one within that one and so and so on.

marathonfool said:
I received the game today in my mail. Not a fan of the original, is the sequel much different? I'm thinking of just selling it.
It's very much like the first game just more refined. The graphics looks wonderful, the story seems better so far (20 missions in), the city looks great, the set pieces have a Uncharted 2 vibe, the shard collection is easier, and the melee combat is much more satisfying this time around. What exactly did you hate from the first game?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
BobTheFork said:
I just now finished collecting all the shards...already. I think it took me ten times longer to accomplish int he first game. Great change SP!

With or without the shard finding power up?

Killthee said:
It's very much like the first game just more refined. The graphics looks wonderful, the story seems better so far (20 missions in), the city looks great, the set pieces have a Uncharted 2 vibe, the shard collection is easier, and the melee combat is much more satisfying this time around. What exactly did you hate from the first game?
The typical open world game problems. Missions become repetitive. Gameplay and level design lack depth. Boring traversal. I don't care about shard collectathon. The characters weren't interesting and the story was passable.

Killthee said:
You don't get as many random encounters while walking down the streets and they don't seem to get a hard on for you like they did in the first game. The story missions on the other hand do throw quite a bit of enemies at you. It's easier to wipe out close groups of enemies this time around though especially with some of the new powers (tornado).

Sounds like it could be a bit more manageable. As long as the non-mission-specific encounters aren't as over the top as they were in the original. I didn't have a problem fighting a lot of enemies during missions, but when I'm just exploring or collecting stuff, running into 40 dudes to dispatch around every corner was tiresome.

Wario64 said:
With or without the shard finding power up?
With. I found all but 15 without it but it just cleared those up fast as lightning.
Just beat the game. I will say nothing but that I loved it.

phillax

Banned
BobTheFork said:
With. I found all but 15 without it but it just cleared those up fast as lightning.
Just beat the game. I will say nothing but that I loved it.

Did you beat the game on hard or normal difficulty?
How long did it take you to beat the game?

phillax said:
Did you beat the game on hard or normal difficulty?
How long did it take you to beat the game?
Normal. Not sure of the exact time, I played most of yesterday and last night and today :p
It's pretty much the same length as the first. If it's more and an hour more OR less I can't tell. The first game went by really slow until you go some mobility powers and you start with them in 2 so I think it may play just a bit shorter but that's not really about the content.

Killthee

marathonfool said:
The typical open world game problems. Missions become repetitive. Gameplay and level design lack depth. Boring traversal. I don't care about shard collectathon. The characters weren't interesting and the story was passable.
Might be best if you just skip i2 then. Missions feel a little bit more varied and traversal is slightly improved (<3 vertical grind bars), but the gameplay is still fundamentally the same and while the level design has more unique locations it remains pretty straightforward.

brandonh83 said:
Sounds like it could be a bit more manageable. As long as the non-mission-specific encounters aren't as over the top as they were in the original. I didn't have a problem fighting a lot of enemies during missions, but when I'm just exploring or collecting stuff, running into 40 dudes to dispatch around every corner was tiresome.
Random encounters are much more manageable this time around. Enemies don't have some sort of sixth sense that locks them on to you so it's much easier to avoid them/run away this time. There's also less enemies patrolling the city and the one's that are are usually clustered and a bit oblivious to you (throw a couple of sticky bombs or blow them off a roof to wipe them out before they even notice you).

Yes, enemies don't have a twelve block insta-lock radius anymore, but I think you can't take as many hits this time at a \given difficulty level. It's just my observation but I think it balances out the same, it's just much less irritating this time.

There still a "take back the city" mechanic from the gangs right? What's the encounter rate in areas that you own? Cause it was really hard finding enemies at the end of the first game for stunts.

Killthee said:
Random encounters are much more manageable this time around. Enemies don't have some sort of sixth sense that locks them on to you so it's much easier to avoid them/run away this time. There's also less enemies patrolling the city and the one's that are are usually clustered and a bit oblivious to you (throw a couple of sticky bombs or blow them off a roof to wipe them out before they even notice you).

Sounds good. My girlfriend's brother won it from Subway so I'll get to play it early anyway and decide for myself (tomorrow). I really thought the first game was awesome aside from those apocalyptic flaws that kept me from truly loving it, but between this news and the fact that you can easily collect the blast shards, I'm a lot more optimistic.

Luthos

The Xtortionist said:
Do the enemies still automatically move when you target them? That was really annoying in the original, especially when using Precision.
Yea, that was really annoying. I mean I expect them to take cover, but they ALWAYS new when you were about to shoot at them.

And man, I am so pumped for this game. I need to finish LA Noire this week, else I might find it hard not to jump straight into Infamous 2.

The Xtortionist said:
Do the enemies still automatically move when you target them? That was really annoying in the original, especially when using Precision.
If it does happen, it happens much less because I've been hitting headshots in precision just fine.

Killthee

Crewnh said:
There still a "take back the city" mechanic from the gangs right? What's the encounter rate in areas that you own? Cause it was really hard finding enemies at the end of the first game for stunts.
Take back the city is still there. Not sure about the encounter rate because I've been skipping most of the side missions to avoid experiencing the issue from the first game.

Stunt list is gone though and in its place is the new power tree. To unlock access to some powers you have to perform a specific stunt X number of times.

The Xtortionist said:
It doesn't seem as out of control as it was in the first game. Improvements to grenade throws and new powers like the triple bolt shot also make it easier to hit enemies.

phillax

Banned
Killthee said:
Take back the city is still there. Not sure about the encounter rate because I've been skipping most of the side missions to avoid experiencing the issue from the first game.

Stunt list is gone though and in its place is the new power tree. To unlock access to some powers you have to perform a specific stunt X number of times.

It doesn't seem as out of control as it was in the first game. Improvements to grenade throws and new powers like the triple bolt shot also make it easier to hit enemies.

Whaat

Killthee

phillax said:
Nothing too crazy (so far), but some powers do require you to perform a simple stunt 5, 6, or 10 times to unlock the next level in the tree.

JABEE

Killthee said:
Not sure if the review copy is the retail copy, but the servers for the retail version are offline at the moment.
Isn't that a major component of inFamous 2? How could you write a review without those things being available at the time of the review?

DrBo42

JABEE said:
Isn't that a major component of inFamous 2? How could you write a review without those things being available at the time of the review?
Feep or someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they could fully access the editor, but they couldn't see user generated content from others.

JABEE

DrBo42 said:
Feep or someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they could fully access the editor, but they couldn't see user generated content from others.
If he couldn't see user content from others than how could he say that he didn't see anything blow him away? I'm just wondering how much of the UGC stuff that he was actually able to consume or any of the reviewers.

Feep

Banned
DrBo42 said:
Incorrect. While we didn't have access to the servers, the special review copy was preloaded with a few previously constructed UGC missions, to give us an idea of what they could be.

Honestly, I don't see it as such a major feature. Missions just lose a lot of narrative moxie when they can only be conveyed via basic text, without any animations, motion capture, or voice acting. You can't (or at least, that I could see) set up any objectives or abilities that weren't already explored in the main game. It all just felt stale, after going through the full single player game first.

There are some UGC walkthroughs on YouTube from the Beta. You can check out some samples there.

JABEE said:
If he couldn't see user content from others than how could he say that he didn't see anything blow him away? I'm just wondering how much of the UGC stuff that he was actually able to consume or any of the reviewers.

I believe Sucker Punch included a number of missions from both in-house and the beta to give people an idea of what the tools are capable of.

Edit - beaten

Trevelyan

Banned
I'm definitely on it. infamous 2 demo was up, downloading that. Also some DLC for Motorstorm Apocalypse that I grabbed. But yeah, working fine for me. I'm in Nevada btw.

Trevelyan said:
Well what a nice surprise this is, Infamous 2 demo on the PS Store. Downloading it now. Pretty hefty at 2498MB.

PSN store is back!?

*turns on PS3*

EDIT: What country are you in?! Its not listed on the US-PSBlog

Irish

NubInaTub said:
I bought the first one, didn't really like it and didn't even finish it. Would I like this one?

I don't have the game myself, but I'm pretty sure you won't like this one either. People have said it is just like inFamous, but better.

Korosenai

Irish said:
I don't have the game myself, but I'm pretty sure you won't like this one either. People have said it is just like inFamous, but better.
I'll just have to pass then.

The only games that look good for the ps3 for me this year (i'm more of an xbox fan) is Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Infamous 2, Twisted Metal, and Uncharted 3

So far it looks like i'm only gonna be picking up twisted metal and uncharted 3.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
NubInaTub said:
I'll just have to pass then.

The only games that look good for the ps3 for me this year (i'm more of an xbox fan) is Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Infamous 2, Twisted Metal, and Uncharted 3

So far it looks like i'm only gonna be picking up twisted metal and uncharted 3.
there's a demo out now on the store.

Duffyside

Banned
NubInaTub said:
Oh, only five exclusives look good to you? Ah man, too bad Sony couldn't deliver this year...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dammit, there's a demo on PSN? I can't even sign in. :(

EDIT: Just after posting, PSN decides to start working. *shrug*

Downloading now!

Zeth

Sweet! Downloading the demo now. Ran through Infamous 1 today to about 25% completion today in one marathon sitting. (a mission or two away from the final karma rank). I love the game so so much, it's so much fun. Hopefully this long weekend away will be a good enough break to avoid burning myself out on this open-world greatness.

Definitely gonna do the Best Buy deal. I just repurchased my ps3 and I have none of those games. I'll probably grab motorstorm for $30.

scoobs

duffyside said:
Oh, only five exclusives look good to you? Ah man, too bad Sony couldn't deliver this year...
maybe next year they can deliver the 10+ exclusives that we're getting annually from the other consoles... oh wait.

JABEE

Does anyone know if the preorder bonuses come packaged with early copies of the game at Best Buy or are they on separate vouchers? Has anyone been able to use the bonuses that come with all preorders like the Sly Cooper item, do they come in the box?

NubInaTub said:
I bought the first one, didn't really like it and didn't even finish it. Would I like this one?

This is such a stupid question. If you had watched any of the videos that have been released so far you would know it's a lot like the first only better. I mean it is a sequel... Did you expect it to play like N3 or something?

On topic, I'm buying two copies, one for me and one for my best friend for his birthday. You're welcome Sucker Punch.

Duffyside

Banned
Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.

Played the demo for literally 2 minutes and I CAN NOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH BETTER THIS LOOKS.

I liked Infamous 1, but graphically and color-wise it was lacking in a lot of ways. I hate brown/grey games, and I think Infamous 1 fits into that category. It only overcame my disdain because of the badass gameplay of being a super-hero in an open world.

Fuck dude. This game is such a joy to look at and is moving so smooth for an open world game. This is so, so, SO bought.

I am only wary because when it looks this good I imagine the missions/story/gameplay later must be seriously lacking to have not scored perfect tens.

OatmealMu

Alright noticing some differences from the beta. It's a hell of a lot easier to find Cole on the map now. The Militia now *gasp* make noises. And I'll be damned if the framerate isn't smoother... at least in this portion of the game.

darkwing

duffyside said:
Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.

Played the demo for literally 2 minutes and I CAN NOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH BETTER THIS LOOKS.

I liked Infamous 1, but graphically and color-wise it was lacking in a lot of ways. I hate brown/grey games, and I think Infamous 1 fits into that category. It only overcame my disdain because of the badass gameplay of being a super-hero in an open world.

Fuck dude. This game is such a joy to look at and is moving so smooth for an open world game. This is so, so, SO bought.

I am only wary because when it looks this good I imagine the missions/story/gameplay later must be seriously lacking to have not scored perfect tens.

GamePro disagrees with you

But worse still, the combat isn’t as tight as it could be and the world itself just seems less polished than its predecessor.

Zeth

Having spent all day playing the original, all I can say is WOW regarding the game's visual fidelity.

Aside from being brighter and smoother and better animated, the image quality itself appears to have been drastically improved.

Killthee

JABEE said:
Does anyone know if the preorder bonuses come packaged with early copies of the game at Best Buy or are they on separate vouchers? Has anyone been able to use the bonuses that come with all preorders like the Sly Cooper item, do they come in the box?
I doubt they come in the box, my Subway copy only included an Uncharted 3 beta code and I'm sure someone that purchased it at Target would have said something by now.

Even if they were included inside, afaik, the vouchers haven't been unlocked from the database yet. I tried to redeem my Sniper Blast Schick code an hour ago and got the locked voucher error code. It'll probably be unlocked during Tuesdays store update along with all the preorder codes.

Top Bottom