• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So, I just got lucky and bought this game. FUCK YES.

Now, I just started it 5 minutes ago. I hated Cole's voice at first, since it's not as gritty as in inFamous 1, but it's growing on me after hearing him talk for a while. Also, I started and finished Infamous 1 in anticipation for this just a week ago.

The graphics, wow, they're great, and I've only run around for like 2 minutes before pausing to make this post. It feels a lot more fluid, I loved inFamous 1, so I think I'm in for something GREAT.

*goes back to playing excitedly*

Oni Jazar said:
Played through the demo. Few thoughts:

1) Did they move the hover to R1 from L2 or R2 (I forget)? That seems dumb. Now you can't really hover and shoot at the same time.

2) The sound mix is awful. I really hope you can adjust the music/sound effects/voice.

3) The first time I used the ionic vortex my jaw literally dropped.

1) It was always R1... you could never hover and shoot.

2) I didn't notice it at the time, you may be right.

3) Same. Too cool.

Oni Jazar said:
Played through the demo. Few thoughts:

1) Did they move the hover to R1 from L2 or R2 (I forget)? That seems dumb. Now you can't really hover and shoot at the same time.

2) The sound mix is awful. I really hope you can adjust the music/sound effects/voice.

3) The first time I used the ionic vortex my jaw literally dropped.

Cole uses both hands to hover, so it would be impossible to shoot and hover at the same time from a physics stand point.

DrBo42 said:
Hard in the retail version is decently difficult. You really can't run into a group of armed combatants and expect to fight your way out.

In the first game on hard, I could do this fairly easy about mid-way through. Are you saying hard is harder this time?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
just finished the demo. what a tremendous improvement in the graphics, and pretty smooth too. too bad they couldn't add in some anti aliasing though.

I was suitably impressed. may have to get a copy down the line

UrbanRats

Strange, i was fucking hyped for this, but playing the demo kinda bored me a bit (played it 2 times, enjoyed it the first time).
I'll still buy it as soon as i can probably, but it kinda killed the hype.
And the strange thing is.. i don't really know why, it's all good, nothing's wrong with it (image quality aside) just a bit bored, felt a bit more of the same, i don't know.
Maybe i've played the first one too much. :p

kaskade

UrbanRats said:
Strange, i was fucking hyped for this, but playing the demo kinda bored me a bit (played it 2 times, enjoyed it the first time).
I'll still buy it as soon as i can probably, but it kinda killed the hype.
And the strange thing is.. i don't really know why, it's all good, nothing's wrong with it (image quality aside) just a bit bored, felt a bit more of the same, i don't know.
Maybe i've played the first one too much. :p
I kind of felt them same way, I'm still buying it though. I think it had to do with no progression, and kind of throwing you in the middle of it. I had a lot of fun in the original just running between locations.

I do like the changes though, the speed mostly. It was a little disorienting at first. Especially since I've been playing L.A. Noire. The sense of badassery is great though. Sliding on a powerline, jumping off and smashing an enemy with the amp, then laying havoc to the surrounding enemies. Not many games get that right.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Played the demo yesterday, can someone explain to me
how I launched Cole towards the heavens after grabbing a drainpipe
?

Other than that, fuckawesome and pre-order is still standing. Next tuesday, New Marais will feel my electrifying touch!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Only a couple missions in, but the changes are awesome, never played the demo so I don't know what that entailed, but man this game is something else so far.

Nightz

Kind of an odd request, but for those of you who are planning to replace your covers with custom cover art...

Can I have your original cover (as long as everything is in tact - no rips, tears or slashes)? I'm anal about having mint boxes and I have a Subway copy, so the slashed barcode is irritating me. I'd be willing to Paypal you a dollar to cover shipping. PM me!

Yeah I know it's a minor thing to be concerned about, but I'm OCD about these things. :(

neorej said:
Played the demo yesterday, can someone explain to me
how I launched Cole towards the heavens after grabbing a drainpipe
?

Other than that, fuckawesome and pre-order is still standing. Next tuesday, New Marais will feel my electrifying touch!

It was probably one of the electric cables on the side of buildings which can quickly boost you up, kinda like the cranes in AC Brotherhood. Makes the traversal so much smoother.

Another thing from playing the demo: When entering the hover mode Cole gets a little upward boost, is this a power-up or something they tweaked from inFamous 1? I love it.

StevePharma said:
It was probably one of the electric cables on the side of buildings which can quickly boost you up, kinda like the cranes in AC Brotherhood. Makes the traversal so much smoother.

Another thing from playing the demo: When entering the hover mode Cole gets a little upward boost, is this a power-up or something they tweaked from inFamous 1? I love it.

It's a tweak. It's also awesome. Traversal is much faster and more fluid this time around, it's great.

You know what else I love? Shooting a dude lets you see his skeleton x-ray style.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
It's a tweak. It's also awesome. Traversal is much faster and more fluid this time around, it's great.

You know what else I love? Shooting a dude lets you see his skeleton x-ray style.
Well I would call it a power, not a tweak. That's the 'improved' thrusters and you don't start the game with them, you have to play for a little while to get it.

BobTheFork said:
Well I would call it a power, not a tweak. That's the 'improved' thrusters and you don't start the game with them, you have to play for a little while to get it.

I KNEW there was a reason I couldn't get that blast shard off the beach the other day!

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Really enjoyed the demo but I'm glad I'm not the only having problems with the audio. I just got the Astro wireless A40 system and was freaking out that something was already wrong with it.

Wario64 said:
Schick DLC doesn't work

My map is filled with UGC missions now, pretty cool
...omg I totally forgot I have ~ 2-3 power codes and a mission pack from Subway as well. I beat the whole game without using them. I think that 'lightning hook' is just a power you get later in the game.

Irish

BobTheFork said:
I think that 'lightning hook' is just a power you get later in the game.

From what I've seen, there is a power that appears to be similar, but serves an entirely different purpose.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Looks like the initial UGC missions might be all Sucker Punch. The first one I tried was a Sucker Punch created mission. You have to destroy a disco ball that's killing people...lolwut

Also, UGC going up means we can Platinum before street date! Huahuahuah

Irish said:
From what I've seen, there is a power that appears to be similar, but serves an entirely different purpose.
So instead of you moving, the hook brings someone to you? That's pretty cool.
Also, the website seems to be down like it was 3/4 of the beta...ugh
The queue is BY FAR the best way to get at levels. It's too hard to use the filters in the game to find a specific level

fuuuuuuu my created mission list is empty, they wiped them all :'(
I at least want to re-create my block party level but it will take time.

BobTheFork said:

Aw, I thought that it would be an improvement over the thrusters you start out with in I1. How do you get them? Is it more XP grinding or specific stunts?

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Aw, I thought that it would be an improvement over the thrusters you start out with in I1. How do you get them? Is it more XP grinding or specific stunts?
Story related. It's not too far in, maybe a 1/4 or 1/3 of the way.

edit: I just realized something really bad about the UGC. It's hard to explain if you haven't played the beta, but you can load in 5 'sets' of objects to use in your level (there is 1 set already there for core objects). What's INSANE is that while some sets have tons of objects in them, all of the enemies and NPC's are alone in a set. This means that if you only use enemies in the level, you can have 5 different kinds but that's all and then you can't use any objects except those core ones. You can make some cools stuff, but there needs to be some mega sets while more than one mob in them.

aristotle

I doubt I'll plow through it before the street date. I usually go slow for some reason on my first play through. Only put in about 3-4 hours so far and I got mine on Tuesday. I think I'm on mission 10. Not very far. :(

phillax

Banned
Can somebody tell me:
why is the beast a giant in the beginning of the game, when in I1 it was showed to be approximately the size of an average human?

phillax said:
Can somebody tell me:
why is the beast a giant in the beginning of the game, when in I1 it was showed to be approximately the size of an average human?
the beast can appear as both

ElyrionX

Can someone spoil the powers please? I really want to see the full list and perhaps a small review of the powers available in this game?

I was blown away by the Ionic Vortex from the demo. Are there other powers that are just as impressive in the full game? Did they retain the awesome (though not too practical) lightning storm power from the first game?

Irish

BobTheFork said:
So instead of you moving, the hook brings someone to you? That's pretty cool.
Yeah, that is what the lightning hook does compared to the other thing. (It also appeared as if you can pull in cars with it.)

DrBo42

Boombloxer said:
In the first game on hard, I could do this fairly easy about mid-way through. Are you saying hard is harder this time?
It's getting progressively easier as the game goes on of course, but gunfire is pretty damn deadly even a decent amount of hours in. At least where I am right now I have to prioritize targets if I plan to assault a group.

Chesskid1

Banned
35jxt1g.jpg

lol, someone found this store in game

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
ElyrionX said:
Can someone spoil the powers please? I really want to see the full list and perhaps a small review of the powers available in this game?

I was blown away by the Ionic Vortex from the demo. Are there other powers that are just as impressive in the full game? Did they retain the awesome (though not too practical) lightning storm power from the first game?
There's
4 (1 is tied to Karma, so you can only unlock 3 per play through)
powers in the Ionic Charge Power Tree, including the Ionic Vortex. I've only unlocked two, but Lightning Storm seems to be gone. I've got the Ionic Vortex and
Ionic Freeze (ice spikes pop out of the ground to kill enemies and form cover) which I got from selecting Kuo instead of Nix

As for the rest of the trees (missing Evil powers and some powers I haven't unlocked yet):

R1 -
Bolts
Alpha Bolt - Starting bolt. One bolt and weak.
Pincer Bolt - Triple shot bolt.
Artillery Bolt - Long range bolt
Magnum Bolt - Thunder bolt [Good]
Bolt Stream - Rapid fire bolt [Good]

X -
Blast
Alpha Blast - Starting blast
Detonation Blast - Big ass grenade. Short distance, can be used for a little jump boost.
Graviton Blast - Similar to the blast in infamous 1, lifts enemies in the air when they get caught in it. [Good]
Shatter Blast - Centralized ice spike blast [Good - Kuo/Ice power]

Square -
Grenades
Alpha Grenade - Starter
Sticky Grenade - Stickies like the first game [Good]
Ice Grenade - Blows up into ice spikes [Good - Kuo]

Triangle -
Rockets
Alpha Rocket - First rocket power
[Redirect Rocket - Homing missile. Shoot rocket into air, select target by shooting enemy with bolt. [Good]
Sticky Rocket - Splits up and attaches itself to the 3 closest enemies
Freeze Rocket - Freezes enemies on contact [Good - Kuo]

R2 -
Misc
Kinetic Pulse - Psychic lift in other words. Kinda hard to aim with.
Ice Launch - By far my favorite power so far. An ice spike appears below you and propels you into the air. Traversing is so much fun once you unlock this. [Good - Kuo]
Frost Shield - Polar Wall from the first game [Good - Kuo]

Amp upgrades
Melee - Starter
Finisher Attacks - Lv 1 Finishers
Ultra Attacks - Lv 2 Finishers
Ultra Drain - Recharges your energy when you perform a Ultra Attack
Quicker combos

Upgrades (Unlocks every time you complete 10 side missions)
Megawatt Drain - Faster recharge
Ionic Charge 2 - Second slot for Ionics
Gigawatt Drain - faster recharge
Ionic Charge 3 - Third slot for Ionics
Precision Enhanced - increases precision time dilation and zoom
Blast Shard Sense - Improved radar for blast shards

Karmic Boost (Innate)
Civilian Safety - reduces civilian damage [Guardian]
Group Heal - Pulse heals all the civilians around you when you perform a civilian heal [Champion]
Bolt Recharge - Charges your energy when you hit enemies [Hero]
Bystander Bonus - 1 xp per civilian kill [Thug]
Bolt Chain - Hitting enemies with bolts will also damage any nearby object/enemy [Outlaw]
Bio Leech Overload - Unlimited electricity for a short time after doing a bio leech [Infamous]

Killthee said:
There's
powers in the Ionic Charge Power Tree, including the Ionic Vortex. I've only unlocked two, but Lightning Storm seems to be gone. I've got the Ionic Vortex and
Ionic Freeze (ice spikes pop out of the ground to kill enemies and form cover) which I got from selecting Kuo instead of Nix

As for the rest of the trees (missing Evil powers and some powers I haven't unlocked yet):

R1 -
Bolts
Alpha Bolt - Starting bolt. One bolt and weak.
Pincer Bolt - Triple shot bolt.
Artillery Bolt - Long range bolt
Magnum Bolt - Thunder bolt [Good]
Bolt Stream - Rapid fire bolt [Good]

X -
Blast
Alpha Blast - Starting blast
Detonation Blast - Big ass grenade. Short distance, can be used for a little jump boost.
Graviton Blast - Similar to the blast in infamous 1, lifts enemies in the air when they get caught in it. [Good]
Shatter Blast - Centralized ice spike blast [Good - Kuo/Ice power]

Square -
Grenades
Alpha Grenade - Starter
Sticky Grenade - Stickies like the first game [Good]
Ice Grenade - Blows up into ice spikes [Good - Kuo]

Triangle -
Rockets
Alpha Rocket - First rocket power
[Redirect Rocket - Homing missile. Shoot rocket into air, select target by shooting enemy with bolt. [Good]
Sticky Rocket - Splits up and attaches itself to the 3 closest enemies
Freeze Rocket - Freezes enemies on contact [Good - Kuo]

R2 -
Misc
Kinetic Pulse - Psychic lift in other words. Kinda hard to aim with.
Ice Launch - By far my favorite power so far. An ice spike appears below you and propels you into the air. Traversing is so much fun once you unlock this. [Good - Kuo]
Frost Shield - Polar Wall from the first game [Good - Kuo]

Amp upgrades
Melee - Starter
Finisher Attacks - Lv 1 Finishers
Ultra Attacks - Lv 2 Finishers
Ultra Drain - Recharges your energy when you perform a Ultra Attack
Quicker combos

Upgrades (Unlocks every time you complete 10 side missions)
Megawatt Drain - Faster recharge
Ionic Charge 2 - Second slot for Ionics
Gigawatt Drain - faster recharge
Ionic Charge 3 - Third slot for Ionics
Precision Enhanced - increases precision time dilation and zoom
Blast Shard Sense - Improved radar for blast shards

Karmic Boost (Innate)
Civilian Safety - reduces civilian damage [Guardian]
Group Heal - Pulse heals all the civilians around you when you perform a civilian heal [Champion]
Bolt Recharge - Charges your energy when you hit enemies [Hero]
Bystander Bonus - 1 xp per civilian kill [Thug]
Bolt Chain - Hitting enemies with bolts will also damage any nearby object/enemy [Outlaw]
Bio Leech Overload - Unlimited electricity for a short time after doing a bio leech [Infamous]
Niiiiiiiiiiice.

ElyrionX

Killthee said:
There's

Holy shit. Thanks for the awesome post.

The game does sound a lot more awesome than inFamous 1, powers-wise.

Chris_C

Played the demo and the graphics are absolutely jaw dropping.

My one complaint is that even the "normal" camera sensitivity is waaay too high, it makes things unnecessarily manic.

For those with the final game, can you reduce this setting further?

newjeruse

depths20XX said:
But infamous is an actual word. That's not word play.

So are they pronouncing it like "infamous" or is it supposed to be "in FAMOUS"
Because you can either be infamous or famous depending on the karmic path you follow.

ACE 1991

So the machine gun bolt power (I forget the name) seems far too powerful, and seems like it will cheapen the game. Can I still play through it without this power?

One of the only problems I have with the power list is that the versions of each power that are closest to the first game sound like they're likely the most fun in many cases. I'm sure that'll change in practice, though (but no way am I giving up on the paint-a-target version of the rocket - that was the single best thing about inFamous).

DrBo42

ACE 1991 said:
So the machine gun bolt power (I forget the name) seems far too powerful, and seems like it will cheapen the game. Can I still play through it without this power?
Yes, and I suggest you don't use it. I definitely don't.

Edit: It would be fine if it drained a large amount of energy to continuously use, but it doesn't. On top of that you get a power that turns successful hits into energy. Horrible balancing.

Luthos

Downloading the demo now.

Man I can't wait till next Tuesday. Infamous 1 was more of my favorite open-world games, like... ever.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Once you play a UGC mission, it disappears from the map. Huh? That's too weird. Doesn't look like you can search missions either...it's all random.

Top Bottom