• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Lingitiz

Anyone know if i2 is going to keep the ridiculous amounts of snipers on rooftops? Besides the presentation problems that is probably my biggest gripe with the first game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Lingitiz said:
Anyone know if i2 is going to keep the ridiculous amounts of snipers on rooftops? Besides the presentation problems that is probably my biggest gripe with the first game.

Don't remember seeing much snipers. Infamous 2 is easier than the first imo.

Feep

Banned
I mean, I knew review scores were SRS BUSINESS, but as this was my first major review for a larger website, I'm stunned by some of the reaction to a simple 4/5.

I've received four hate E-mails. In my personal inbox. That address isn't even posted on the website, but they still found it, somehow.

Jesus.

Lince

Banned
Vandal.net (Spain) 9.2 / 10

quick and dirty translation of their final comments:

inFamous 2 finally sees Sucker Punch join the club of the top PS3 developers. But there are still some aspects that can be further improved, such as upping the number of epic set-pieces during this fantastic adventure, maybe adding some RPG elements to the mix and a deeper, more dramatic karma system. All of those would have contributed to the perfect game. Anyway, although we have been offered a better game than the first Infamous, it keeps the same personality and the power to attract both sand-box gaming lovers and those who look for pure unadulterated action.

So at the end of the day, what do we think about Infamous 2? it's a lengthy, deep adventure that deserves to be experienced at least in a couple of play-throughs... and don't forget about the mission editor, just the icing on the cake. Cole McGrath has rightfully earned a place with the rest of our favorite characters from this generation of consoles.

Final comment:
If you remotely enjoyed InFamous, don't even think twice about InFamous 2... it's almost a jump comparable to that from Uncharted to Uncharted 2 (almost), it is our familiar InFamous experience indeed, but better in every way.

Gameplay mechanics: 9
Fun factor: 9,2
Visuals: 9
Sound: 9

Overall: 9,2 (outstanding)

Loudninja

Feep said:
I mean, I knew review scores were SRS BUSINESS, but as this was my first major review for a larger website, I'm stunned by some of the reaction to a simple 4/5.

I've received four hate E-mails. In my personal inbox. That address isn't even posted on the website, but they still found it, somehow.

Jesus.
Damn I though the review was good, people are really out of their damn minds.

Feep said:

Jesus.

Don't take it too hard. It's a good review.

Feep said:

Jesus.
Any choice excerpts you want to lay down here? Or is it too vile and inane a response?

Feep

Banned
Crewnh said:
Any choice excerpts you want to lay down here? Or is it too vile and inane a response?
Some Asshole said:
G4 is fuckin pathetic i cant believe you assholes get paid to review games you say infamous 2 is better than the first but then you give it a 4/5 thats 80% what the fuck is wrong with you

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
The demo is awesome. Really, really awesome. The new powers and how the game feels is really fun. It's familiar, yet improved massively.

I really can't understand Gamespot giving it a 7.5. Then again, I rarely agree with Gamespot.

But I guess I'll find out on Tuesday for real. Depending on when I find time to play it that is (6-7 day x 12 hour/day work weeks sucks, but such is life in the vfx world). After this deadline in just over two months I am going to have a few games to catch up on. Infamous 2 will be at the top of that list.

Also, the graphics look so much better than the first game. I don't just mean the new location, but the FX, the Image Quality, shadowing etc. To me it looks as good, maybe not quite, but almost as good as Uncharted 2. They got the super hero poses down when he does his special moves.

I personally love the melee camera, and while on very few occasions it bumps into a wall and gets a bit messed up I am very happy they kept it in as I rarely feel disoriented when come out of it. The "finishing" moves are awesome too.

The demo is really meaty, so much gameplay. I am really excited to play the full game, twice.

People have a right to critique reviews and reviewers (you dish it, you take it). But if you critique someone's review or the reviewer you should do so respectfully and know the fact that everyone has their own opinion.

so, what do the medic locations do again? they're so scattered and you heal quick enough that I don't understand the purpose. when I actively went to one after I helped in one mission and it said I had access, I had no idea what to do. wasting icon space on my map, man.

game is really good so far

music is pretty weak compared to the first game, though

Luthos

Linkzg said:
so, what do the medic locations do again? they're so scattered and you heal quick enough that I don't understand the purpose. when I actively went to one after I helped in one mission and it said I had access, I had no idea what to do. wasting icon space on my map, man.

game is really good so far

music is pretty weak compared to the first game, though
wait, what?

I actually commented while playing the demo of Infamous 2, that the battle music that popped up while I was fighting was really good. And that the music from Infamous 1 wasn't memorable at all. To the point where I couldn't even remember anything from it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm playing the first one right now from the free games thing, but holy shit the graphics jump. The character models in infamous 1 are terrible looking, 2 is a much bigger jump than I first realized.

Thrakier

Lince said:
hey Seph.... maybe he left inFamous 1 paused for 5 hours for whatever reason?

I guess so, sweety. *highfive* You heard about Bro-FFO? Really disappointing. :(

Are you buying Inf2? I'll definitly will, just waiting a bit till it's cheaper and I got more time. Don't need it day 1. However, after playing the demo, all I can think about is playing the demo again. The same was true for Inf1. I can't even say why. It's not like while I'm playing I'm thinking "OMFG BEST GAME EVAAAAR" but as soon as the console is off I want to turn it on again and keep playing.

Lince

Banned
Thrakier said:
I guess so, sweety. *highfive* You heard about Bro-FFO? Really disappointing. :(

Are you buying Inf2? I'll definitly will, just waiting a bit till it's cheaper and I got more time. Don't need it day 1. However, after playing the demo, all I can think about is playing the demo again. The same was true for Inf1. I can't even say why. It's not like while I'm playing I'm thinking "OMFG BEST GAME EVAAAAR" but as soon as the console is off I want to turn it on again and keep playing.

high5 x 1000 ! GAFe ftw! Infamous 1 & 2 are fucking awesome.

Real men buy Infamous 2 on day 1... I posted earlier that I already paid for my EU Special Edition copy full of unlockables, and yeah I exchanged a couple of PSN messages with FFO and he was definitely feeling the blues and that he's not interested in gaming anymore... I've got a nice excuse for not being online as much as I was before though...

hint: green eyed, brunette, hot as hell and 100% Andalusian.

sorry for the off-topic guys, let's carry on with the Infamous 2 discussion.

JB1981

Why did I find the demo kind of boring? The controls are great but I am so uninterested by the world that I can't play for very long.

gl0w

I Played the demo last night, and, well... like i was expecting the game is suberb!

I don't care about meaningless reviews

I cant wait for my copy!

Lerozz

Just finished the demo. Feels like inFAMOUS but even better. Immediately sold on this one. Preordering now.

Shurs

Tricky I Shadow said:
7.5? I haven't played the game yet, but it certainly doesn't look like a 7.5 game.

And I still hardly even know why it got a 7.5......**shrug** Still can't wait baby!

Judging by the tone of the video review, I'm surprised it wasn't given a 6.5.

Dabanton

Great demo but terrible sound very 'flat' I had my surround on and didn't hear anything coming from the back speakers tried out UC2 afterwards and that was working fine.

I notice in the options that there is no in depth sound options can someone with a retail copy say if that's been added.

Nothing worse than a good game with shit sound.

AEREC

Dabanton said:
Great demo but terrible sound very 'flat' I had my surround on and didn't hear anything coming from the back speakers tried out UC2 afterwards and that was working fine.

I notice in the options that there is no in depth sound options can someone with a retail copy say if that's been added.

Nothing worse than a good game with shit sound.

I agree the sound felt quite empty in the demo...hardly any ambient noise from the city...it was weird to see people walking and cars driving and still having it be so quiet.

upJTboogie said:
If anyone cares Gamespot gave it a 7.5. LINK

"The screen turns to black and white when you take enough damage, and this makes it extremely difficult to properly see the environment. It's incredibly aggravating when you're near death and you can't tell if that's a deadly body of water you're running toward (Cole can't swim), or if you're able to climb the pipe in front of you. Furthermore, the black-and-white filter takes a long time to fade away, and often gets triggered again if you sustain only a couple of hits. This means you spend half of each fight desperately trying to see what's going on, which leads to more than a few untimely deaths."

Lol is this a joke? Why is I2 being given shit about this when so many other games do this already. Hell the first game did this too and it's the same reviewer. And how are the controls being the same a bad thing? The controls were excellent in the first game.

Feep said:

Jesus.

Some people take this stuff way to seriously.

At least they know how to figure out percentages from fractions. I doubt they actually read the review.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Some people take this stuff way to seriously.

At least they know how to figure out percentages from fractions. I doubt they actually read the review.

This is why we need reviews without scores. I'm still seriously hoping a review-outlet like EDGE-magazine takes the next step and abolishes the scoring system altogether.

Case in point:

reviewer states inFamous 2 is better than 1 > lower score > RAGE

reviewer states inFamous 2 is better than 1 > no score > HAPPINESS

Shurs

StevePharma said:
This is why we need reviews without scores. I'm still seriously hoping a review-outlet like EDGE-magazine takes the next step and abolishes the scoring system altogether.

Case in point:

Sadly, it's only a vocal minority that wants scoreless reviews.

AEREC

StevePharma said:

Case in point:

Wont ever happen, as much as I agree that this would be better for reviews...I still enjoy going to a site and glancing at the score for comparisons sake, I just dont get upset if it's not a number I agree with.

StevePharma said:

Case in point:

lol Maybe someone will ditch scores but it will never be edge. Their entire operation is built on 'controversial' scores. They don't even play games over there anymore.

BobTheFork said:
lol Maybe someone will ditch scores but it will never be edge. Their entire operation is built on 'controversial' scores. They don't even play games over there anymore.

Fun fact: when you buy a new copy of EDGE, use a marker to cross out the scores and just read the reviews.

The controversial shock-aspect of the mag disappears.....the reviews are actually really well written and sometimes not reflective of the score, which is a shame because all we care about in the Edge-threads on GAF are the scores

StevePharma said:
Fun fact: when you buy a new copy of EDGE, use a marker to cross out the scores and just read the reviews.

The controversial shock-aspect of the mag disappears.....the reviews are actually really well written and sometimes not reflective of the score, which is a shame because all we care about in the Edge-threads on GAF are the scores
It's not just about 'shock value'. I used to really like edge but at some point the reviewers and writers all heard how credible everyone thinks they are and it fucked up all the perspective. I'm convinced that they give out scores now not based on the game but with some horrible 'what should Edge magazine give this game, we have rep to uphold' mentality. It's still written well page to page but I think they became their own victims.

Enosh

played the demo, god damn that was amazing

not buying it though now, I have a TV to buy and I want to play Infamous 1 from that welcome back thingy first, most probably buying it next month

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hey team, I have a couple of questions regarding the game. Just finished my hard mode run of i1 after all this time, gotten all the good choice trophies and am ready to grab the collectibles. How does save import work in this? I've gotten conflicting reports on whether it's tied to trophies or a single save file from i1 I have to load. I really want the choices to be referenced, that's all.

Also is the hard mode in this as ball-bustingly difficult as the first? The checkpointing was generous but I enjoyed the challenge.

Played the demo after playing through Infamous and getting a platinum. I can safetly say that the graphics are a generational leap. However, I am most surprised in the control tweaks. Cole is quicker and less weighty than the original and the control deadzone is infinitely smaller. It is much much more responsive this go around. Movement is made easier and platforming feels more fluid and much more natural than the first. Adding a little boost up when you hover is an added bonus. This may have the best controls in the history of open world games.

Thnikkaman said:
Hey team, I have a couple of questions regarding the game. Just finished my hard mode run of i1 after all this time, gotten all the good choice trophies and am ready to grab the collectibles. How does save import work in this? I've gotten conflicting reports on whether it's tied to trophies or a single save file from i1 I have to load. I really want the choices to be referenced, that's all.

Also is the hard mode in this as ball-bustingly difficult as the first? The checkpointing was generous but I enjoyed the challenge.

I would like to know this as well. I had a ton of fun on hard in the first, well except for
kessler

Songbird

Prodigal Son
TheExecutive said:
I would like to know this as well. I had a ton of fun on hard in the first, well except for
kessler
Gawd, Kessler. I swear his attacks just deal randomised damage. Like his shockwaves and throw, sometimes they barely scratch and sometimes they instant kill. Don't get me started on the entities he summoned.

aristotle

Thnikkaman said:

It reads the save file (must be one from that console, not copied over). I'm not sure if it matters if you did a good or bad run only.

From what I've read hard mode isn't that bad. Gunshots even on medium though will tear you apart if you're not quick enough. Explosions as well.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
aristotle said:
It reads the save file (must be one from that console, not copied over). I'm not sure if it matters if you did a good or bad run only.
Thanks! All I really want are the extra good karma level and the choices carrying over.

aristotle said:
From what I've read hard mode isn't that bad. Gunshots even on medium though will tear you apart if you're not quick enough. Explosions as well.
Sounds good. It just got ridiculous in the first game with the teleporting, cloaking, shotgun wielding enemies that took me down in three shots. Plus it felt like I could never roll or run away from explosions, only take cover from them.

KAOz

Short bus special
aristotle said:

Are you 100% sure? Since they mentioned trophies only before.

Top Bottom