• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Irish

TheExecutive said:
Well, I was already on hard so maybe it didnt see the use. Nonetheless they ought to make it a little less confusing.

Well, duh. No reason to prompt you if you are already there. :p (Is it like inFamous 1 where you could only get the trophy for completing it on hard when it prompted you to switch?)

What about the cutscene thing? Do you see the option to skip in the menu now?

revolverjgw said:
My only complaints so far is... I haven't really encountered any areas that put much emphasis on platforming. Like the sewers, the trash tower, and the jail from the first game. And I hate how the shards are almost always placed so that you have to drop down off a ledge with circle to get them. Kind of kills my flow when I'm cruising the rooftops.

Yeah, that was sorely missed. (The prison, trash tower, and sewers were awesome.)

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Well, I tried to skip the first cutscene sequences since I had to restart to fight the first boss on Hard. And I couldn't. Haven't tried skipping since then obviously, as everything is new to me

Irish said:
Incorrect. You get prompted once you finish the entire opening mission, which ends with
you getting the first blast core.

Never saw the prompt. I'll have to check again when I replay on my Evil run.

Irish said:
Eh, the title of the original is inFAMOUS and this game is inFAMOUS 2. (both share the same Caps style)

Then whoever was responsible for trophies capitalized it incorrectly in the trophy list. The first game is clearly listed as inFamous. The second as inFAMOUS.

Really wish there was a stats page. So odd that they didn't include one.

Rikyfree

Any tips on the thunder flop trophy? I have done a thunder drop off the ice tower from the VERY top (antenna) several times and have never gotten it.

Rikyfree said:
Any tips on the thunder flop trophy? I have done a thunder drop off the ice tower from the VERY top (antenna) several times and have never gotten it.
It's okay if you float a short distance to guarantee you Thunder Drop right on the ground. I did that and got the Trophy. Landing on another part of the Ice Tower doesn't work out.

Teknoman

Dont think this was answered, but does 2 do a recap on the end events of 1? Also wont everyone get in the U3 beta early with the free Playstation Plus going on? I mean aside from those who have accounts after April.

Lingitiz

Teknoman said:
Dont think this was answered, but does 2 do a recap on the end events of 1? Also wont everyone get in the U3 beta early with the free Playstation Plus going on? I mean aside from those who have accounts after April.
Can't answer the second question but yeah there is a short cutscene recap of the first game in the comic cutscene style.

CatPee

Hero Edition arrived today. Played it for 10 hours straight. Game is so fun.

I wish the sling pack was about 2 inches wider though. Would've made a great backpack :(.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Is my game bugged or is there really no sound effect when you buy a new power?

No sound here. Really weird, especially with the unlock animation.

1stStrike

Banned
Just got the ice power. After dealing with Nix I almost have no desire to do an evil run through cause I have to deal with her fucking annoying voice even more often if I go that route.

Ice powers are cool - finally something besides lightning. Been waiting all game for this!

I agree that the side missions are much better this time. In some ways the side missions can be harder then the story missions, and you never know what they're going to throw at you. Good stuff this time. In Infamous 1 the side missions mostly just annoyed the shit out of me, but they've vastly improved them in this game.

bobot

Neo Member
Got a special edition content unlock for anyone who's interested. (au version, but don't know If the code is region specific)

So I picked up the Hero Edition with the Aussie launch today and I'm kinda bummed with the graphics... is the game supposed to run at 720x576 or is something setup wrong on my PS3? My housemate took it to his mates place recently and his mate doesn't have a HDTV so he had to change the settings to use the standard Composite cable, I have checked all the settings and I believe I've set everything up the way it used to be, but the game can't just run at 576 right? That's not HD and the IQ is shocking... I can't play it like this, it doesn't feel like I'm playing a PS3 game...

I am REALLY hoping it's just a setting's issue... surely it is right? The menu's look shonky, the text in the menu's and things is all blurry, that can't be the way the game was intended to be played right? What am I doing wrong?

wouwie

Irish said:
Yeah, that was sorely missed. (The prison, trash tower, and sewers were awesome.)

So there aren't any huge platform game sections anymore? Bummer. In one interview, i remember Sucker Punch mentioning there would be even more "traversal" gameplay. Scaling the prison and trash tower were definately highlights in the game for me.

Have you finished the game yet, Irish? Any thoughts on the game (since i know you are a huge fan of the first one)?

My copy is on it's way. Should have it next week.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
bobot said:
Got a special edition content unlock for anyone who's interested. (au version, but don't know If the code is region specific)

If no one else has asked, may I please have it?

wouwie said:
So there aren't any huge platform game sections anymore? Bummer. In one interview, i remember Sucker Punch mentioning there would be even more "traversal" gameplay. Scaling the prison and trash tower were definately highlights in the game for me.

Have you finished the game yet, Irish? Any thoughts on the game (since i know you are a huge fan of the first one)?

My copy is on it's way. Should have it next week.

there is more traversal. Actually it feels more naturally this time because it is incorporated into the main world. The second island is pretty much traversal heaven. So many ways to get around.

I've spent the last two nights looking for the last damn dead drop. I got the
bayou blockade
one. Its the last trophy I need on my good run through. So frustrating.

lucius

Does the game switch difficulty auto based on how well you are doing like the 1st game?
I really like that it did that.

Dyno

Started on hard and it looks like I'm gonna be evilish for the second Infamous game. So far it's been worth it just to hear that Kuo chick rag me out.

Kingpen

I've never played this franchise before (I'm a new PS3 owner as of this past week). I tried the demo for inFAMOUS 1 and it didn't seem too bad.

Should I start with the first game, or should I just jump into the sequel? Since the sequel has come out, is the first game a big step back?

I played this for a solid 4 hours today! <3

Firstly the graphics are fantastic and a huge improvement...but everyone knows that. I’m loving the in-game cut-scenes too. Better presentation is welcomed.

Only nitpicks so far is the oddly quite city (I thought my T.V was on mute at one point), and the fact that Nix is indeed annoying. Gah, she needs to SHUT UP!

Overall the game is a blast. It's just fun and controls like a dream. So far this is looking better than the first and my GOTY at the moment. Oh and I love Kuo!

lucius

Kingpen said:
I've never played this franchise before (I'm a new PS3 owner as of this past week). I tried the demo for inFAMOUS 1 and it didn't seem too bad.

Should I start with the first game, or should I just jump into the sequel? Since the sequel has come out, is the first game a big step back?

I think Infamous 1 is worth playing you feel a little underpowered at first but it is a great play if you stick with it, the snipers on roofs at 1st get annoying but just recharge a lot and you don't have to take them all out until missions start.

Dyno

Kingpen said:

I would play the first game but I would burn through it. Do the main quests and push the story forward. You'll appreciate the story and the set pieces. There's no need to get caught up in the completionist aspect of the game because it's not worth much. You'll get come extras in Infamous 2 just for getting through the first and that's your best bet.

JohngPR

So what were we supposed to get for pre-ordering the game from Amazon? I bought the Hero Edition and have yet to get any kind of email giving me their pre-order bonus.

Zabka

Tricky I Shadow said:
Only nitpicks so far is the oddly quite city (I thought my T.V was on mute at one point), and the fact that Nix is indeed annoying. Gah, she needs to SHUT UP!
It's very strange. There's a bunch of parts of the game I'd expect it to make at least some kind of noise, like sound effects in certain cutscenes or when you purchase a new power.

Paznos

I'm a couple hours into the game and it looks and plays great, lovin' it so far, don't like Cole's new model that much and it would be cool if we could toggle to the model they first showed for Cole.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
bigdaddygamebot said:
Okay...what am I missing here.

What do you use experience points for?

I can't seem to "spend" them like I did in the first game.
You have to unlock the powers before spending experience points to purchase them by doing stunts. So do the first few story missions before starting any side missions, as the unlocking mechanism is only introduced after the third or fourth story mission. Since you need to perform stunts to unlock powers, and the side missions will often have you using certain techniques or attacking enemies at higher locations, it's quicker to kill two birds with one stone and do the side missions only when the stunts you perform in them will count toward unlocking the powers so you then spend experience points to buy them.

I guess they wanted to make the stunts worth something outside of trophy hunting.

Atruvius

Got the special edition yesterday. It has awesome looking hologram cover too! Inside there were download codes for Uncharted 3 beta, 50% off of inFamous and special edition code. Special edition code gave me orginial Cole skin, golden amp and concussion grenades + I could also download Sly's cane, Samurai sword, club and the reaper skin. Nice surprise indeed.

Save data says that I have completed almost 25% of the game and I just got the upgraded thrusters, makes traversing the town much more easier and enjoyable.

At first some of the powers felt nerfed, like the shockwave attack and the grenades. I don't really like changing the powers in the middle of the fight and I just end up using the same attacks over and over. I mean, I'm only using alpha lightning instead of magnum lightning.

And some of the enemies feel cheaper than in the original. I hate those exploding mutants.

City is way too quiet. Trams doesn't seem to make any noice at all and sometimes it feels sound effects are missing. Even music is way too low and sometimes there even isn't any music when it feels like there should be.

I'm enjoying the game greatly. Side missions seem to be more varied and there are lots of collectibles and "random events".

iNvid02

just got my special edition which is in between the regular game and hero, not sure if its the same as USA but i think it looks cool. took a snap, hologram thing got in the way, looks nice though.

i cant see myself ever buying the ultimate edition of a game for double the price, but something like this for £5 more is cool

inf2lot2.jpg

One thing I do wish this game had was a stats page that kept track of everything you do (game time, peds/enemies killed, distance traveled, highest distance dropped, you know, fun things like that). So far the only way I found to keep track of progress and blast shards/dead drops were checking the save file.

Is there a way to check playtime?

DarkChronic said:
One thing I do wish this game had was a stats page that kept track of everything you do (game time, peds/enemies killed, distance traveled, highest distance dropped, you know, fun things like that). So far the only way I found to keep track of progress and blast shards/dead drops were checking the save file.

Is there a way to check playtime?
If it's like the first game, you can check by looking at the save file info.

1stStrike

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
So I picked up the Hero Edition with the Aussie launch today and I'm kinda bummed with the graphics... is the game supposed to run at 720x576 or is something setup wrong on my PS3? My housemate took it to his mates place recently and his mate doesn't have a HDTV so he had to change the settings to use the standard Composite cable, I have checked all the settings and I believe I've set everything up the way it used to be, but the game can't just run at 576 right? That's not HD and the IQ is shocking... I can't play it like this, it doesn't feel like I'm playing a PS3 game...

I am REALLY hoping it's just a setting's issue... surely it is right? The menu's look shonky, the text in the menu's and things is all blurry, that can't be the way the game was intended to be played right? What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like a shitty tv or cable. The game isn't the most amazing looking game to grace the PS3, but it doesn't look like you've described it either. Time for someone to upgrade their shit and get out of the dark age.

Lince

Banned
picked the ridiculously slick EU special edition with lenticular 3D cover (evil/good Cole) this morning + free vouchers for every single unlockable in the game + U3 beta... so I was asked if I wanted to start a new game or continue from my Inmafous save... (basically good or bad karma options) I selected continue my inFamous adventure with good karma and then was asked to select between 3 rewards... wtf? rewards already? then I switched the difficulty to hard in the options, this while the game was dumping 2,34 GB of data into my HDD without asking or me noticing... anyway, the game looks so much better than inFamous not even funny, I can't believe such a jump in graphics in a sandbox, pure crack. Thanks mom&pops for letting me steal this at half frice already lol.

Irish

I never played through hard difficulty in inFamous 1 simply because the XP value of everything was decreased. I wonder if it is the same for this game. I really wouldn't mind the more difficult enemies, but the XP differences always killed my interest.

Certain ice enemy spoiler:

Did anyone else find that the Titans really broke the flow of combat because of the forced QTE?

wouwie said:

New Marais is a lot more fun to move around than Empire City and there are a lot of new gameplay additions that make just moving feel absolutely amazing. It just somewhat lacks in the huge, epic tower department. (although there is one, it just doesn't feel the same.

wouwie said:

I've only finished the good side. I really like it a lot, but I need to let everything sink in first to give more detailed thoughts.

Picked up PAL special edition, another sexy piece of cart that will rot away in my cupboard :-D

Loving the game because I loved the first one as well (platinumed it but lost my save due to YLOD :-( ). If you were iffy on inFAMOUS 1 I don't think this will make you feel any other way about the premise of the game. Even though I love it the game can get kinda tedious after long bursts.

One question: I got the Special Edition bonuses like the reaper skin and the weapon skins and some grenade power-up. I got the (useless) grenade power-up but I don't know where I can select the skins for my apparel and weapons. Where do I do this?

Hey I've got these codes from subway still sitting here and I beat the game twice before I could ever cash them in.
Quote this post to see them.

it would be great if a person only took one of the three.

Irish

BobTheFork said:
Lightning hook (I think that's what this is)

it would be great if a person only took one of the three.

It ended up being a stalker grenade. Thanks. (This was the only code I used.)

tribal24 said:
how do i activate ice powers ? i already got to the part where they say its unlocked but dont see where

You just unlock them through the power menu like any other power. (One ice power for each button.)

Irish said:
It ended up being a stalker grenade. Thanks. (This was the only code I used.)

You just unlock them through the power menu like any other power. (One ice power for each button.)
D: oh crap what's a stalker grenade, that sounds cool lol
Does it follow people?

Top Bottom