• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Jarmel said:
So what do most people think about the game? I'm returning from vacation today so I will be playing the everlasting shit out of this.
Loving it, especially the better side missions and the slew of new powers that you can switch on the fly.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
supermackem said:
If you liked the first one then you will love the second.

Well, there are a few things of the first one that are not in the second and sort of make it less special IMO.

First of all, you start the game with basically all your previous powers so the game doesn't deliver on the feeling of turning into a super hero. You are already a super hero in inFamous 2 and you just evolve from there in terms of efficiency and power. As a consequence of this there is no significant evolution in the way you explore and experience the city. I was expecting the new city to cope with this but at the end of the day it's just different in the looks.
The tether ability is criminally underused btw.

Mission design is affected by this as well since each mission is basically built upon the same basic ability set, which means lots of combat and much less platforming.

That said, combat is much improved over the previous inFamous, especially the AI. That's probably what impressed me the most.

Mikey Jr.

BeeDog said:
So far I think it's awesome. It's an refined extension of InFamous 1 in every way; better graphics, better controls, better powers and so on.

There are two things that bother me a bit though:

1) As several have said, the sound design is really strange. The city is eerily quiet, and it feels like music is played randomly.

2) I think I'm nearing the end of the first island, but there haven't been any real platforming areas like those found in InFamous 1 (the scrap tower or the prison). I truly hope later parts of the game have something similar.

Shit, I thought this was supposed to be some sort of demo bug.

Seriously, in the demo, if you just stood in the middle of a busy street, you would literally hear nothing. You would have to crank up the speakers to max to hear the background noise.

The normal explosions and shit is a normal volume.

So I played more of this today. The first one was fantastic – this one is even better so far! <3

The first one had some problems......but I feel like this one is the complete package. So good!

Zabka

BeeDog said:
1) As several have said, the sound design is really strange. The city is eerily quiet, and it feels like music is played randomly.
It's bizarre and not just the city either. When you go to the powers menu scrolling around gives a little *ding* noise. Purchasing a power? The screen shakes silently.

Mikey Jr. said:
Shit, I thought this was supposed to be some sort of demo bug.

Seriously, in the demo, if you just stood in the middle of a busy street, you would literally hear nothing. You would have to crank up the speakers to max to hear the background noise.

The normal explosions and shit is a normal volume.
Hmm, I need to go back and play this game because I never noticed this, there was always music playing, people cheering me on, car horns and street performers playing the sax or drums.

I'll probably put both games in to compare.
Zabka said:
It's bizarre and not just the city either. When you go to the powers menu scrolling around gives a little *ding* noise. Purchasing a power? The screen shakes silently.
This I noticed, it bugs the hell out of me...

Should have this all platinum'd up by Sunday night. Blast shards were MUCH easier to find in this game, the dead drops actually gave me more trouble honestly.

Favorite part of the game? When Cole and Zeke
chill on the couch after a long day of hero-ing and watch a western with some beers. The bond between the two was much more evident in this game, even with the tension from Zeke's betrayal lingering early on, and I just thought it was a sweet moment.

Facism

What do i have to do to register as having done a Hard mode run? Game starts up as Medium. I changed it to hard immediately, but will that count?

Lince

Banned
loving it so far, it's Infamous as we knew it, no radical changes here but the expected for a sequel: sublime controls, better graphics (lighting, texture detail, draw distance with no more cars and peasants appearing out of thin air, framerate... everything has been upgraded), more powers, new enemies (with much better AI routines) fun missions, intense combat... well starting as a superhero is less interesting indeed, but then again your skills are put to the test since the very beginning. If you loved Infamous this is a no brainer, best sandbox game this gen in terms of fun factor and overall polish considering the hardware it's running on. Two years ago I said that texture work was the most impressive thing of Infamous (not talking about resolution or fancy effects), this is true again for Infamous 2, every building is textured rather convincingly and with plenty of detail, Sucker Punch texture artists are really amazing.

I played some user created content... meh... except for a couple of clever and fun mission, I guess it's just a matter of time before we start seeing quality content in there.

upJTboogie said:
Hmm, I need to go back and play this game because I never noticed this, there was always music playing, people cheering me on, car horns and street performers playing the sax or drums.

yeah same here, I'm using 5.1 headphones though, I'm not suffering any "silent city" bug so far, quite the opposite, people talking, cheering, noisy cars and the usual stuff... (this on my 'tank' EU 2007 launch PAL 60 GB PS3 which refuses to die lol)

Lince

Banned
Facism said:
What do i have to do to register as having done a Hard mode run? Game starts up as Medium. I changed it to hard immediately, but will that count?

yes my friend, hope you're enjoying the game, h5!

Dynamic3 said:
Is it just me or do the grenades do hardly any damage?

you're still early into the game... for instance the first upgrade (sticky grenades) are quite deadly if you have good aim.

iratA

I don't get all the talk of platforming? After finishing Infamous 1 I don't feel 'Platforming' at least in the traditional sense, was one of its fine points. Unless you call grinding and climbing buidings ala Assassins Creed platforming.

I think Infamous has always been at its best when its focused more on combat or combat whilst in motion, rather than flat out platforming. I think Infamous 2 has shifted for the better with broader combat options both up close and at range. The set-ups and missions are far better geared in this area as well.

Oh and on a side note... I think when Cole uses some of his strongest powers in this game the amount of crap thats going on in the screen can get seriously impressive. Oh and love the new cutscenes, they must have done some mo-cap work for this.

Zeth

No one is noticing the change to the standard bolt velocity? It was so much better when they were instant. The new slow bolts are jarringly different and slightly more difficult to use since you now have to lead enemies at a distance.

It was probably a balance issue, the bolt stream would be totally OP if it was instant.

r.gun

Neo Member
Zeth said:
No one is noticing the change to the standard bolt velocity? It was so much better when they were instant. The new slow bolts are jarringly different and slightly more difficult to use since you now have to lead enemies at a distance.

It was probably a balance issue, the bolt stream would be totally OP if it was instant.

All bolts should home in on enemies if you have them targeted with your reticule while they are moving.

Save says 50% colmpleted and I am having a blast with this game. I have to force me to stop every time. Very awesome so far, I hope it holds it up until the end. And just like in the first game I am playing evil the first time :D

Gah! Just got off the chat with an Amazon Representative. My estimated date was yesterday and went to my box and there was nothing there. So I waited until today and nothing yet! Seems they had a delay with the package and I was not aware of it. So they refunded me the shipping cost. Amazon is great but when these kinds of things happens it makes me doubt if I will get my items when they say. I know its an estimate but still that packages been traveling all around the US and hasn't landed in my hands! And here I was hoping I could use the backpack nest week for college.

BeeDog

Sidzed2 said:
I am in love with the (very mild abilities spoiler)
ICE LAUNCH!
It's my favourite addition by far.

I just got it and yeah, it's awesome. Such a simple thing to add, but it adds a lot to the core gameplay.

Zabka

Lince said:
yeah same here, I'm using 5.1 headphones though, I'm not suffering any "silent city" bug so far, quite the opposite, people talking, cheering, noisy cars and the usual stuff... (this on my 'tank' EU 2007 launch PAL 60 GB PS3 which refuses to die lol)
I was wondering if it was because I was playing in stereo and it wasn't mixed properly.

Now you have to answer a very serious question for me. When you purchase a power in the menu, does it make any kind of noise?

Zabka said:
Now you have to answer a very serious question for me. When you purchase a power in the menu, does it make any kind of noise?
No, no sound at all. And the way the screen vibrates when you press X makes it seem like there should be a sound, but nada.

dorkimoe

I got infamous 1 from the welcome back program, havent played it since launch (had sold it) god i hated it. I die so much, the combat seems boring and im just spamming the generic lightning at people

Played the infamous 2 demo and was blown away. So much more to do, the grenades, the shockwave, missles, amp, everything. Definitely gonna go rent this

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Justin Dailey said:
How do you see the list of stunts? I don't know why I can't seem to find it!

Stunt requirements are listed when you highlight an ability in the powers menu.

BeeDog said:

I want to add another complaint about the sound design. When you do the most powerful melee attacks, the final impact is usually (always?) just a simple cracking sound and it really seems like there should also be a low frequency "woom" sound like when you do the jump-down-and-land-hard attack.

jmd494

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Stunt requirements are listed when you highlight an ability in the powers menu.
Thanks

dorkimoe said:
I got infamous 1 from the welcome back program, havent played it since launch (had sold it) god i hated it. I die so much, the combat seems boring and im just spamming the generic lightning at people

Played the infamous 2 demo and was blown away. So much more to do, the grenades, the shockwave, missles, amp, everything. Definitely gonna go rent this

Maybe you just didn't give I1 enough of a chance. You unlock the shockwave, grenades, missles, and many other powers later in the game.

daffy

Banned
FTH said:
Hey guys top of the morning to you! I have a question that I can't seem to figure out...

How exactly do you use the (early Powerup-related; minor spoiler)
Ice Shield? I just sided with Status Kuo and it showed it as unlocked in the little mini picture, but I pressed -> really quick and didn't notice how to do it...
what up with that? Didn't notice it in the powers menu either..
Posted this awhile back, anyone know?

Its really bugging me, but it probably just needs to be unlocked again or something. Thanks if anyone answers, I'm gonna go play some more.

CatPee

FTH said:

Its really bugging me, but it probably just needs to be unlocked again or something. Thanks if anyone answers, I'm gonna go play some more.

It's a power linked to R2.

daffy

Banned
CatPee said:
It's a power linked to R2.
:O Thanks! I could've sworn I tried that, but I probably overlooked it!
Luthos said:
Did you check in the "R2" section in the powers menu?

Even when get new powers, you usually have to do a few stunts to actually unlock the ability to use them.
I see, maybe this is also the problem. Thanks alot! I can't remember if I did or not, gonna go play and find out!

Luthos

FTH said:

Did you check in the "R2" section in the powers menu?

Even when get new powers, you usually have to do a few stunts to actually unlock the ability to use them.

I think I'm nearing the end of the game. I just met
John again, who turned out to be who I thought.

Also just got Blast Shard sense. It's so good! No more wandering aimlessly in the hopes of running into shard like the first game and most of this game.

The Lamp

Jarmel said:
I liked the first one up until mid-way through the second island where it seemed to seriously drag. I loved the movements and powers mainly.

The pacing is so good in I2. It was all over before I wanted it to be :(

Crewnh said:
I think I'm nearing the end of the game. I just met
John again, who turned out to be who I thought.

Also just got Blast Shard sense. It's so good! No more wandering aimlessly in the hopes of running into shard like the first game and most of this game.

Yes. I did a backflip when I got the Blast Shard sense. All I need now is Dead Drop sense and I can go back to enjoying myself.

Hixx

Second Sony published title in a row I have not been able to find in my town on release day. Nice. Worst part is that none of the shops have a fucking clue when it will be getting delivered either.

Kweh

Ahh blast shards. I am already addicted to finding them again. Just one more radar search before I start the next mission. Oooh look, 5 shards in the vicinity.

Barrett2

Kweh said:
Ahh blast shards. I am already addicted to finding them again. Just one more radar search before I start the next mission. Oooh look, 5 shards in the vicinity.
Same here. Been playing five hours, spent most of that time collecting them. It's just damn fun hopping around the city.

Zeth

Argh it would be amazing If they would let you use two of the traversal related R2 abilities at the same time without switching them out!

Irish

Zeth said:
Argh it would be amazing If they would let you use two of the traversal related R2 abilities at the same time without switching them out!

Yeah, that is one of my biggest complaints so far.

Just finished it. Absolutely loved it!

Everything just feels tweaked and improved from the already fantastic original. The bigger enemies were a nice addition and made the combat feel less repetitive. I like the way the moral decisions were represented by two different characters too.

Went the good route for my first playthrough and now want to jump straight into an evil one!

M.D

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Just finished it. Absolutely loved it!

Everything just feels tweaked and improved from the already fantastic original. The bigger enemies were a nice addition and made the combat feel less repetitive. I like the way the moral decisions were represented by two different characters too.

Went the good route for my first playthrough and now want to jump straight into an evil one!

How long did it take you? did you do a lot of side mission?

baekshi

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
Second Sony published title in a row I have not been able to find in my town on release day. Nice. Worst part is that none of the shops have a fucking clue when it will be getting delivered either.
Your town must be living under the rock. Go to amazon and have it delivered to you.

And does anyone know where do you use those facebook infamous 2 credit codes? What are they for?
EDIT: The ones you got from Subway promo ^

Duffyside

Banned
Zeth said:
I agree. I don't see any reason why the
Tether and the Launch can't be used at the same time, since you need to use L1 for the Tether.

Duffyside

Banned
Hey, so I'm pretty close to the end, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how many missions there are in total? I'm hoping

The reason I care, and hopefully someone can provide some insight on this too, is that I don't want to finish the game before getting all the Dead Drops.
I have the last Blast Core,
but haven't activated it yet because I don't know if I'm near the end. However, I'm thinking the Dead Drops don't just exist in the city at all times like in Infamous 1, but pop up as the story progresses. Am I right in this, or do I need to put the story on hold and start searching all over for those damn pigeons, which would be really awful as there is no way to get an idea for where the Dead Drops are, is there?

HixxSAFC said:
Try Amazon, if you can. Release date shipping is always 99¢ when you preorder.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Zeth said:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that prefers the insta-bolt of the first game. The original bolt seemed to have more of an aesthetic "oomph" in how lightning quick (see what I did there) and forcefully it struck enemies.

Whenever I use the alpha bolt in Infamous 2 I can't help but think, "Pew pew pew!"

This game is so much fun, but I still can't believe it's 2011 and we still don't have a fucking stats page.
And the SP UGC levels are pretty garbage.

Zabka

I loved the original bolt in Infamous more than the ones in I2, but the Magnum Bolt is pretty close to the original.

I feel like, ice jump aside, you don't really feel in this game like you get particularly more powerful than you were at the end of the first. Less powerful, even.

Why do we still have un skip-able cutscenes in this day...

I mean all we need is a Start>Skip cutscene in our games. And this game is especially weird because you could skip cutscenes in the demo, but not the main game.

Top Bottom