• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm trying to finish off the mini map. I've already done all of the side quests so the only thing left to clear these areas are the quests that enemies drop. In the topright of the map, a hexagonal area is sitting between me and a trophy and I can't find an enemy that'll spawn a quest. How frustrating.

daffy

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
WTF at the ending.
Is Sucker Punch TRYING to kill the Franchise off early? Jesus Christ.
Maybe they have something new they want to work on. I'd rather it be this way than ridiculous retcons and stale gameplay or whatnot.
TheExecutive said:
The last mission of this game is fucking broken for me. Two times I have been thrown down by
the beast and I glitch into the ground.
Has this happened to anyone?
Yep. Happened to me while
fighting Kuo & the Beast. Picked me up and dropped me through the Earth lol.

MvmntInGrn said:
Why would the plague ever go away on its own? and what healing powers are you referring to? The girl he healed didn't have the plague(at least not like the humans did), she had the conduit gene.

no the girl he healed did have the plague, she just also happened to be a conduit. the healing power i am referring to is what Jhon used to heal the flying girl. im not saying the plague would go away on its own, i was suggesting instead of sacrificing potentially millions of people Cole could have tried to get that healing power from the Beast or given the RFI to a scientist to reverse engineer it and find the cure to ray sphere radiation poisoning. the game essentially forced on you that killing less to save more is a good/heroic act.

jackdoe

bigboss370 said:
no the girl he healed did have the plague, she just also happened to be a conduit. the healing power i am referring to is what Jhon used to heal the flying girl. im not saying the plague would go away on its own, i was suggesting instead of sacrificing potentially millions of people Cole could have tried to get that healing power from the Beast or given the RFI to a scientist to reverse engineer it and find the cure to ray sphere radiation poisoning. the game essentially forced on you that killing less to save more is a good/heroic act.
Er...
The "healing power" from the beast required the sacrifice of millions of people...

bigboss370 said:

Did you notice that the Ward was in smouldering ruins after he healed her? John killed everyone else inside the building to activate the Conduit gene in that girl. A third option would have been great (I dislike how binary the final choice was), but with the way they set it up, Cole or John couldn't stop the plague without sacrificing the Conduits

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
TacticalFox88 said:
WTF at the ending.
I felt the same fucking way. I'm playing my evil run now, though.

And the *power spoiler*
Kuo's powers > Nix's powers...okay, well maybe it's just that the Ice Launch is fucking awesome.
-_-

jackdoe said:
Er...
The "healing power" from the beast required the sacrifice of millions of people...

are you telling me he got the power by killing people in his path from empire city to new marais? where in the game did it say that?

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Did you notice that the Ward was in smouldering ruins after he healed her? John killed everyone else inside the building to activate the Conduit gene in that girl. A third option would have been great (I dislike how binary the final choice was), but with the way they set it up, Cole or John couldn't stop the plague without sacrificing the Conduits

umm i saw ppl still alive in the plague warehouse/center after that, but yes i did see the chunk of ruin. is it the lives of other ppl he used to activate her or was the ruin just collateral damage? what about the RFI? Cole could have tracked down a scientist or something to engineer the device to only heal the plague and not also kill conduits. i just find it odd narrative wise that Cole would decide to kill potentially millions of people with the conduit gene without even knowing if it would cure the plague. and that was the morally good/heroic choice.

also something i just wanted to point out, someone thats supposed to be good or on your side betrays you again at the end just like the first game.

my one gameplay complaint besides the weird platforming is that the final power is only the same final power you get in Infamous 1 :(

jackdoe

bigboss370 said:
are you telling me he got the power by killing people in his path from empire city to new marais? where in the game did it say that?
Not at all.
His healing power is not healing at all. It is massive genocide to activate the conduit gene in a small number of people, thus curing them of the plague since conduits are immune (ray sphere). I thought the game made it clear.

bigboss370 said:
Bertrand was a lame character, his bad voice actor especially stood out to me. and when he turned into the monster i liked the mission but i didn't like the fact he looked just like a previous monster even though he was at the center of a ray sphere blast. oh yeah and i would have much preferred to fight against conduits with powers instead of monsters. the ice enemies would be so much cooler if they actually used used powers instead of same old guns.
Bertrand's voice actor is the same as Lazarvic's voice and mocap actor from Uncharted 2.

I7h2N.jpg

Just finished the game and well, the ending... well-
looks like the franchise is over. Takes balls these days to end a franchise like that.

jackdoe said:
Not at all.
His healing power is not healing at all. It is massive genocide to activate the conduit gene in a small number of people, thus curing them of the plague since conduits are immune (ray sphere). I thought the game made it clear.

ah yeah i think you're right. i guess im just really upset at the clear cut 2 choices in the end, save the humans or save the conduits. alot of things dont make sense to me like:

-why do conduits get the plague, if the plague is ray shere radiation..wouldn't the radiation just activate their conduit gene/powers?

-why was siding with John and viable decision for Kuo? he wants to kill all normal humans, how is she okay with that? it just didn't make any sense for her character to completely flip at the end. i mean i know she doesn't want to die, but that doesn't mean she has to side with John.

theres more but i can't think of em right now :(

ps:
did the ending remind anyone else of God of War 3 ending?

bigboss370 said:
ah yeah i think you're right. i guess im just really upset at the clear cut 2 choices in the end, save the humans or save the conduits. alot of things dont make sense to me like:

-why do conduits get the plague, if the plague is ray shere radiation..wouldn't the radiation just activate their conduit gene/powers?

-why was siding with John and viable decision for Kuo? he wants to kill all normal humans, how is she okay with that? it just didn't make any sense for her character to completely flip at the end. i mean i know she doesn't want to die, but that doesn't mean she has to side with John.

theres more but i can't think of em right now :(

ps:
did the ending remind anyone else of God of War 3 ending?

1. A significant amount of radiation needs to be absorbed by the user to activate the gene. Having only a little bit of it just made them just as susceptible to the plague as any normal human.

2. People become irrational when faced with death. And I think Sucker Punch just wanted a role reversal between Nix and Kuo.

3. Yeah, it totally reminded me of GoWIII

jackdoe

Crewnh said:
2. People become irrational when faced with death. And I think Sucker Punch just wanted a role reversal between Nix and Kuo.
Pretty much.
Nix has also had quite a fatalist attitude so it's no surprise that she's willing to die to get revenge.

RobertM

(cutscene, nothing major)
The only cutscene I really liked that resonated with me, is when Cole and Zeke were drinking on the couch and then Cole used the blast core behind the couch once Zeke was passed out. It's so simple yet quite effective, I felt.

Am I the only one that thought like you weren't really getting stronger as you progressed? It didn't feel quite right and didn't really like micromanaging powers. I think I zoned out for the most of the game and paid too much attention to the mini map seeking Blast Shards. Blast Shards are the biggest OCD poison, please get rid of them...maybe just get rid of the mini map. I'm still not sure what to think of the ending or story in general, but the mystery in the first one and the major twist struck me as better form of comic book story telling than the second game. As it stands though, Infamous> Infamous 2 for me.

Patapwn

Love infamous 2. GOTY so far

However, (criticism time)

1. Where is some goddamn ambiance? The city is WAAAAY to quiet... and not in a atmospheric way, just a stupid way... SP needs to work on this big time in the future

2. If I had a magic lamp fully equipped with a wish fulfilling genie, I would not wish for world peace nor would I wish for the end of poverty, I would wish for some goddamn anti aliasing in Infamous 2!

3. For my second wish, I would make the city larger and more diverse. Nothing really stuck out as an awesome and memorable landmark. I don't think Infamous 2 had anything close to the giant trash pile to the heavens from infamous 1, or the prison as another example.

4. Everything that was Nix including the writing, character design, and voice acting should have been undone, then redone to something that slightly resembled quality and then redone again just to be safe!!!

5. More boss fights- I think there was like 2 boss enemies... the beast obviously and I don't know how to put spoiler tags but you know who else I'm talking about. Infamous 1 kicked the shit out of infamous 2 here

6. Edge should not have been given a copy to review. That disk should have been sent to me instead!!!

7. A double standard criticism- enemies of the same type look all the same. I know pretty much all games have the same model for x enemy but it really stuck out in this game, particularly for the swamp monsters. I think the game would have been improved if each individual enemy had well... a little individuality to them... maybe one swamp monster has a claw instead of a duel bald thing going one. Instead of the weird ass chicken feet one had humanish feet and a slightly different color hue... honestly, this is probably way too hard to do, but it would have been cool!!!

/hate

Honestly, this game is awesome. And pretty much every criticism I harbor does not fall into the A. core gameplay and B. story. I loved those two parts. The only issues I had with the game are technologically/atheistic based.

Man, and for my last wish... I wish that infamous 3 is made for the ps4!!!

Jarmel

Banned
Ok I'm on the third part
after the nuke
. Some parts of the game are really good and others simply aren't. The writing for Nix is atrocious. I expected it was going to be bad going in and it was. Kuo is better than I thought though her power is pretty much useless and I expect fire to be much better next playthrough. Some of the larger enemies are extremely tedious. Also I was hoping for a little more powers but oh well.

Rikyfree

I feel they didn't spend near enough time on the death of his GF, Trish in this game. Something like
he's fighting the beast and getting beaten before he can activate the RFI (good story) and it flashes to Cole on his knees looking down bloody and battered, he looks up, sees Trish, she tells him to fight and he gets a second wind and beats the Beast and activates the RFI.
But hey, that's just me, and I like emotional depth in my characters...

Yo Gotti

Banned
TheExecutive said:
Just finished the game and well, the ending... well-
looks like the franchise is over. Takes balls these days to end a franchise like that.

Oh, you didn't notice?

At the end right before the cutscene cuts to black, Coles boat gets struck by lightning. ;-)

Sidzed2

Rikyfree said:
I feel they didn't spend near enough time on the death of his GF, Trish in this game. Something like
he's fighting the beast and getting beaten before he can activate the RFI (good story) and it flashes to Cole on his knees looking down bloody and battered, he looks up, sees Trish, she tells him to fight and he gets a second wind and beats the Beast and activates the RFI.
But hey, that's just me, and I like emotional depth in my characters...

I totally agree with most of what everyone else has said here vis-a-vis the game's storyline. The first game's central conflicts and characters, from the internal "Kessler-Conflict" to Trish's fate to Zeke's about-turn, weren't well-addressed in the sequel. The Beast as a character was also severely underdeveloped.

Ironically, the most annoying and lousy characters were all from the sequel: Kuo, Nix and Bertrand. Each of them was given lots of screentime to very little effect, and characterisation is something Sucker Punch is going to have to work on if there is to be an Infamous 3. When you see what their cohorts at Naughty Dog are doing with Uncharted, it's almost a little embarrassing.

Still, fantastic game to play ;)

panda21

i made the mistake of starting out being good and then getting bored of having to try not to hurt people and switched to being bad

thing is now i'm struggling to make myself more bad because my karma meter thing is still in the positive, and every mission even if i chose to do all the bad things, the 'your actions made you...' thing always says it made me slightly more heroic, because all the take downs count as positive things, and most of the missions revolve around you killing lots of enemies.

am i screwed? do takedowns still count as heroic once your karma meter is in the negative?

the whole mechanic seems slightly broken, i guess they didnt test what happens if you change your mind?!

i wasn't that far in when i made the choice, i'd done like maybe one or two missions since you get into the game proper (
just after you get to the city where the game takes place
)

Shearie

Just realized that when I started on my evil playthrough that I forgot to save my completely maxed out good Cole. This seriously bums me out as I wanted to go through the UGC with those powers. :(

I actually saw a pretty good trailer of this in the cinema before X-Men here in germany. Is Sony marketing learning... I never saw a PS3 ad in the cinema here before...

spidye

Tryckser said:
I actually saw a pretty good trailer of this in the cinema before X-Men here in germany. Is Sony marketing learning... I never saw a PS3 ad in the cinema here before...
the marketing push is pretty big here in austria too. I see an ad at every tram station.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Now that I think about it, jack shit from the first game was prevalent in inFamous 2. And inFamous 1 had a lot of intriguing story elements. I mean, the Kessler twist was pretty fucking incredible, and there wasn't shit about Kessler (minus the
dead drops, but those don't count
) in this game.

Pretty good tip from PS3trophies.org for people who are cleaning up

PS3trophies.org said:
Quick Travel tip thanks to MGreenberg

Hit start, go to UGC
Click on Create empty mission
Pick up one of the markers and use & and place it wherever you want to be on the map
Hit start again, click exit mission and select No when it asks you to save
Profit, you are now instantly put wherever you want to be

Hixx

The side missions are starting to become tedious.

'KILL THE CHOPPER. NOW KILL THE RAVAGER. NOW KILL THE MASSIVE ONE. NOW KILL DOZENS OF MONSTERS. NOW KILL THEM ALL AT THE SAME TIME.'

Coupled with the fact that grenades are weak as piss now and that the controls are weird (why when I am aiming one way does the game decide I want to aim in the complete opposite direction? It's not the auto aim, because sometimes it does it when I'm not aiming at an enemy + the times Cole has refused to move unless I jump first...).

So far I'm not enjoying it as much as the first. Just got some Ice powers though, hopefully the game picks up.

Hazanko

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
WTF at the ending.

They could just make the third game about Kessler. It's a comic book style super hero game, anything could happen lol.

dralla

so what was everyones go to loadout, mine [good karma]

bolt stream
gravitron
cluster grenades
redirect rocket
ice jump
ionic vortex

Got my platinum yesterday. I got to say that I enjoyed the evil ending more. It was really messed up but it got way more emotion out of me. WTF at the good ending
no infamous 3?
since the first one had
time travel
they may be able to can fix it.
I like that they let you mix and match both sets of powers if you beat the game twice. That ice launch is bad ass.

Zabka

RobertM said:
(cutscene, nothing major)
The only cutscene I really liked that resonated with me, is when Cole and Zeke were drinking on the couch and then Cole used the blast core behind the couch once Zeke was passed out. It's so simple yet quite effective, I felt.

Am I the only one that thought like you weren't really getting stronger as you progressed? It didn't feel quite right and didn't really like micromanaging powers. I think I zoned out for the most of the game and paid too much attention to the mini map seeking Blast Shards. Blast Shards are the biggest OCD poison, please get rid of them...maybe just get rid of the mini map. I'm still not sure what to think of the ending or story in general, but the mystery in the first one and the major twist struck me as better form of comic book story telling than the second game. As it stands though, Infamous> Infamous 2 for me.
Same exact feelings I had. I felt like I was just mechanically ticking off boxes as I played.

Also the sound mix in this game is fucking terrible. Throw a cluster grenade in an empty street? Pops and booms all over. Throw one on a giant enemy? Silence.

CorkyFromLifeGoesOn said:
Got my platinum yesterday. I got to say that I enjoyed the evil ending more. It was really messed up but it got way more emotion out of me. WTF at the good ending
no infamous 3?
since the first one had
time travel
they may be able to can fix it.
I like that they let you mix and match both sets of powers if you beat the game twice. That ice launch is bad ass.

What @ bold :O

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Just got the game.

holy fuck at that intro fight, that dude didnt disappoint me, was worth the waiting to see him.

2 Questions

-If I pick start new game is there any changes in the intro or it's the same?
-Am I missing something or there is no explanation on Cole facial scar? ( he didn't got that in the comic or the first game as fas as I know)

Darkatomz

Arg I miss the Hero bolt already. Regen energy and rapid fire is way better than eletrifying shots with a scythe wave... Honestly, I might be sticking with explosive headshots.

Why couldn't SP have combined the Lv2 and Lv3 power together for the Evil side?

Atruvius

Totobeni said:
Just got the game.

holy fuck at that intro fight, that dude didnt disappoint me, was worth the waiting to see him.

2 Questions

-If I pick start new game is there any changes in the intro or it's the same?
-Am I missing something or there is no explanation on Cole facial scar? ( he didn't got that in the comic or the first game as fas as I know)
Answer to both is no.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
TheExecutive said:
The last mission of this game is fucking broken for me. Two times I have been thrown down by
the beast and I glitch into the ground.
Has this happened to anyone?
Happened constantly. Ravagers and ice soldiers knock me through the floor and walls, killing me instantly. I only glitched through the ground once in i1, happened tons more in the sequel. Really frustrating on hard when you don't have rockets or precision for the ravagers, meaning your only options are melee and the gravity gun.

Dyno

I've been gaining both Good and Evil karma but it seems my good side is going up super slowly while my evil side is gaining more noticeable. Do you think that's because I'm doing more evil and less good or is there some hidden mechanic going on and they are cancelling each other out?

Not sure how it works.

OK, so after a few UGC missions I have whole-heartedly decided that the platinum trophy isnt worth the trouble. I absolutely HATE when people throw me in impossible situations and then I dont even have a clue of what kind of powers I have until everything is bearing down on me. So frustrating. Let me use the powers I spent 20 hours accumulating.

1stStrike

Banned
I had a hilarious moment in the game where one of the ice soldiers summoned his pillar of ice with me right below it. I then get knocked up into the air and have no control over my character. I flew up so high the city vanished, and then Cole just drops dead and game over :lol

Songbird

Prodigal Son
1stStrike said:
I had a hilarious moment in the game where one of the ice soldiers summoned his pillar of ice with me right below it. I then get knocked up into the air and have no control over my character. I flew up so high the city vanished, and then Cole just drops dead and game over :lol
I guess the engine just decides that if anything goes out of bounds they instantly "die." The first game had a second ocean under everything else.

Grisby

Thnikkaman said:
I guess the engine just decides that if anything goes out of bounds they instantly "die." The first game had a second ocean under everything else.

Pretty sure there are walls. Shot a car one time off into the swamp and it went pretty far before hitting a dead space and just dropping.

Top Bottom