• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Guys watch it w/ talking about spoilers and referencing other games like that...ppl will be pissed.

On the trophy for blowing up big stuff? Is it glitched :(? I think I've seen it asked here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm almost at the end. Have all the Cores, Powers, etc. The first half of the game didn't strike me as too different from the first but the second half has been fantastic. The past few missions especially have had some incredible moments in them. Great game. Meetings some friends soon but I'll definitely be finishing this up tonight.

I’ve been really busy with work recently, but tomorrow I’ll be able to play all day! <3

I’m up to mission 34, so hopefully I’ll finish the game. I can’t wait to get back into it!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Tricky I Shadow said:
I’ve been really busy with work recently, but tomorrow I’ll be able to play all day! <3

I’m up to mission 34, so hopefully I’ll finish the game. I can’t wait to get back into it!
I'm only a couple missions ahead of you but those few missions are awesome.

Amory

Bought this on launch day, just settling into it now. Instantly reminded how awesome all the powers feel, especially hovering and grinding power lines. Just feels so fluid and quick getting around the city, which is awesome.

Story is bad though, IMO. Honestly I didn't remember much about the plot from the original inFAMOUS, and they really didn't try very hard to remind you about the finer parts in the beginning of inFAMOUS 2. I'm hoping I pick it up, because I'm kinda lost right now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Amory Blaine said:
Bought this on launch day, just settling into it now. Instantly reminded how awesome all the powers feel, especially hovering and grinding power lines. Just feels so fluid and quick getting around the city, which is awesome.

Story is bad though, IMO. Honestly I didn't remember much about the plot from the original inFAMOUS, and they really didn't try very hard to remind you about the finer parts in the beginning of inFAMOUS 2. I'm hoping I pick it up, because I'm kinda lost right now.
How far are you into it? The game really picks up from both a gameplay and story standpoint in the second half. I'm not done yet but I really like where the story has gone in the past few missions, I just wished they had spread a bit more of it into the rest of the game.

JohngPR said:
Just beat this. Wow,
I can't believe they killed off Cole in the hero ending....or did they? Wonder what that lightning bolt that hits the boat just before it fades to black means.

I agree mostly with Brad Shoemaker's review. The game is clearly better than inFamous 1 in every single way, but it's not a HUGE step forward like Assassin's Creed 2 was compared to AC1 or Uncharted 2 was compared to Uncharted 1.

Still a great game. New super powers, new ways to traverse the world, better graphics, etc. Just a good game overall.

OT:

I will never understand how AC2 is a huge leap forward over the first... It felt almost exactly the same to me. Revelations actually looks like a true sequel (adding impressive set pieces). AC2 had the same boring side missions as well. Really hope they sort that for Reveleations.

Amory

RoboPlato said:
How far are you into it? The game really picks up from both a gameplay and story standpoint in the second half. I'm not done yet but I really like where the story has gone in the past few missions, I just wished they had spread a bit more of it into the rest of the game.

I should actually rephrase, I feel the story bridge from the first game to this one is poor. I've only done the first 6 or 7 missions in this game and though it's starting off slow, I don't have any complaints thus far. Just a little frustrating to have to rely on wikipedia's plot synopsis to have a clue as to what's going on.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Amory Blaine said:
I should actually rephrase, I feel the story bridge from the first game to this one is poor. I've only done the first 6 or 7 missions in this game and though it's starting off slow, I don't have any complaints thus far. Just a little frustrating to have to rely on wikipedia's plot synopsis to have a clue as to what's going on.
Yeah, I agree with you there. A lot of it comes in again later on too.

nelsonroyale said:
OT:

I will never understand how AC2 is a huge leap forward over the first... It felt almost exactly the same to me. Revelations actually looks like a true sequel (adding impressive set pieces). AC2 had the same boring side missions as well. Really hope they sort that for Reveleations.
Erm... for starters, every mission in AC was the same. In AC2, they varied: disguised carrying a box amongst the enemies, saving someone stranded in water, horse carriage chase, flying machine etc...

I3rand0

Totobeni said:
The Evil ending should be the canon, seriously, it will be a fucking storm of awesome.

Agreed.
For Infamous 3, I'd love to play as a new conduit in Cole's army going to attack DC or something.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I3rand0 said:
Agreed.
For Infamous 3, I'd love to play as a new conduit in Cole's army going to attack DC or something.

Cool idea
and Good path in Infamous 3 should be :The resistance ( with a good new conduit hero ) want to take Cole down and save the planet

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
thuway said:
Such a silly thing to ask, can I get someone's Uncharted 3 beta voucher to show a certain someone how good it is :-/?
Do we get into the beta with PSN Plus right away? I'll give my code away if I can just get it through Plus.

Spruchy

Posted a mini-review on my blog (http://spruchy.com):

Spruchy's sweet blog said:
Two posts back to back? What Craziness! Anyway, last week I finished inFAMOUS 2 for the PS3 and I thought I would write up a little post on what I thought of it. I’m not going to write too much about what inFAMOUS is all about considering you can get it free as a part of the welcome back program on PSN right now. But if you don’t know what inFAMOUS is about it’s an open world game where you play as Cole Mcgrath , a parkouring dude who is made relevant by the fact he is given the comic-book like ability to control electricity. You control Cole through a campaign that is moved along by a plot that is just inspired by comic books as his powers are through a variety of Main plot missions and side missions. The side missions in the first game quickly became very repetitive with each mission falling into one of three subsets: Go here and kill a bunch of bad guys, go here and defuse some bombs, or go here and play an annoying game of hot and cold. Prior to the sequel’s release, Suckerpunch said that this problem of unvaried side missions would be definately remedied. At first I believed them when I was taking photographs, competing in electrical races over rooftops, and just only killing a bunch of bad guys every other mission. That was until I realized all they had done was add a few new missions to the already existing subset and the dullness of doing the same thing over and over settled in, causing me to lose any desire to finish all of these boring missions toward the end of the game.

In an effort to make sure players don’t trade their copies of inFAMOUS in after beating the game or a very optional replay as the opposing moral alignment, Suckerpunch has added the ability for players to create their own custom missions. If you leave these missions on in the settings then you will see markers pop up all around the city that look and act just like a mission that’s actually part of the game. Out of the dozen missions I played only one of them were the least bit interesting and all of them essentially boiled down to being giant encounters of way too many enemies squished into one location. Tooling around the mission editor I saw that there’s definitely a girth of customizable options, I just don’t think the world and the game’s system lends itself to user-generated content as something like Little Big Planet or Minecraft does. And with a campaign around fifteen hours along with side missions and exclusive good or evil missions one has to ask this of the creatable missions: Is it really necessary?

Throughout the game you’ll find yourself going up against three different factions, all of which are very different from one another. Each of these factions also have their own boss-type enemies which are more of an annoyance then anything else, which can also be said for the bosses you fight as a result of the plot. The one thing Suckerpunch really got right though is the way these different groups fight against one another instead of just homing onto the player, the end result creates a war-like vibe as you watch enemies shoot rockets and claw one another to death, leaving the option of taking up a smaller side battle or hopping directly into the fray up to you. Many games try to do the common enemies angle including critically acclaimed games such as Half Life 2, but inFAMOUS 2 really does it the best. It’s just a shame that the outside of their appearances, the bosses in the game are entirely forgettable.

Between scouring buildings for blast shards, zapping the energy out of cars to bring down monsters, and chasing other mutants through a train yard, inFAMOUS 2 is a pretty fun time. However, I don’t know if it’s because much of the Developer’s resources were invested into making the mission creator, or just because they wanted to play it safe, but if inFAMOUS 3 is to come out anytime soon, there needs to be some changes. Outside of the improved graphics and some minor tweaks and additions there’s hardly anything new here and for a second repeat trip that’s OK. But to do it a third time? I’m not so sure. Then again, Suckerpunch just announced at E3 that they’re working on a new Sly game, so perhaps we won’t see Cole Mcgrath for a while.
Or maybe we will.

8 /10 – If you thoroughly enjoyed inFAMOUS 1 definitely check it out, if you didn’t then stay away. If you never played it and it sounds interesting to you I recommend trying out the demo. As you can tell from reading this, what you experience in a small sampling is very much a large glimpse at the whole picture.

Donthizz# said:
After that ending how are they going to do a sequel?

Make it a prequel! Or just create a new hero in the same universe - maybe we'll see that "other" Cole after all...

They obviously wanted to change the characters a lot so a new group might be where they want to head with a sequel.

I adored inFamous 1, got the Platinum Trophy, and I'm planning to do the same for inFamous 2 but, man, did Sucker Punch forget about the damn stats screen again? An open world game without a stats screen is an unfinished game, especially when they want you to collect 350 of something and the only way to know how many you have is to actually quit out of the game and look at your save file data in the XMB. Please tell me I just missed an option in the menu somewhere.

Hixx

matrix-cat said:
I adored inFamous 1, got the Platinum Trophy, and I'm planning to do the same for inFamous 2 but, man, did Sucker Punch forget about the damn stats screen again? An open world game without a stats screen is an unfinished game, especially when they want you to collect 350 of something and the only way to know how many you have is to actually quit out of the game and look at your save file data in the XMB. Please tell me I just missed an option in the menu somewhere.

Or go into the save/load menu and look at the most recent save in game..

HixxSAFC said:
Or go into the save/load menu and look at the most recent save in game..
Can you do that? Gawd, that makes things easier.

Still no excuse for not having a dedicated stats screen, though. In an open world game I want to know how long I've been playing, how many dudes I've killed, how many things I've found, etc, etc.

AngryMoth

Pretty surprised to hear people calling for a sequel. Don't get me wrong, I've really liked both games, but there was a very definitive story arc which has been concluded (at least on the good side, haven't got the veil ending yet). Too often developers seem afraid to break away from successful franchises and create new IP, and since thre really is no need for an Infamous 3 from a narrative perspective, I'd much rather see Sucker Punch go off and try something new. They already did it once and it was awesome!

BigAT

So having just now completed the first Infamous, can someone explain to me what the controversy was with them replacing Cole or whatever for this game? I never really payed attention to all that when it was happening since I had never played the first one.

LiK

BigAT said:
So having just now completed the first Infamous, can someone explain to me what the controversy was with them replacing Cole or whatever for this game? I never really payed attention to all that when it was happening since I had never played the first one.
They originally changed him to more of a pretty boy with a new voice. They kept the voice actor but they made him sound more like the original actor now. They also altered his look to make him look more like Cole from the first game after feedback.

BigAT

LiK said:
They originally changed him to more of a pretty boy with a new voice. They kept the voice actor but they made him sound more like the original actor now. They also altered his look to make him look more like Cole from the first game after feedback.
Weird, isn't the plot of the first game essentially
that Kessler is trying to harden Cole and is successful in doing so?
I find it odd that they would go in the opposite direction (and I guess everyone else did as well).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
LiK said:

They kept Cole's original VA, or they just made the new VA sound like the original VA? I just played the inFamous 2 demo, and thought Cole's new voice definitely sounded worse than his gruffer voice in the original game. Anyhow, I liked the first game and the demo for the new game. Going by the demo, it seems they upgraded the graphics and made melee combat slightly less janky, is this correct? And yay, Zeke returns :3

LiK

Combichristoffersen said:
They kept Cole's original VA, or they just made the new VA sound like the original VA? I just played the inFamous 2 demo, and thought Cole's new voice definitely sounded worse than his gruffer voice in the original game. Anyhow, I liked the first game and the demo for the new game. Going by the demo, it seems they upgraded the graphics and made melee combat slightly less janky, is this correct? And yay, Zeke returns :3
New VA but they made him sound more like the original Cole voice compared to the initial reveal for the sequel. There was some contract dispute with the original VA or something.

Yea, sequel is more refined and just as fun. New powers are great and Zeke is a better character too. The story basically ties up many loose ends from the first so its a must play.

Combichristoffersen

LiK said:
New VA but they made him sound more like the original Cole voice compared to the initial reveal for the sequel. There was some contract dispute with the original VA or something.

Yea, sequel is more refined and just as fun. New powers are great and Zeke is a better character too. The story basically ties up many loose ends from the first so its a must play.

That sucks. I liked Cole's old voice more. Not a big deal, but still..

I'll get the sequel for sure.

LiK

That sucks. I liked Cole's old voice more. Not a big deal, but still..

I'll get the sequel for sure.
Yea, its pretty noticeable but I got used to it. Glad they changed it cuz the initial pretty boy version with Nolan North-like voice was too jarring.

Combichristoffersen

LiK said:
Yea, its pretty noticeable but I got used to it. Glad they changed it cuz the initial pretty boy version with Nolan North-like voice was too jarring.

How is Zeke in the sequel, is he the same goof as in the first one, who calls you up just to have you come over to drink beer or to go help him score with girls? :lol

How is Zeke in the sequel, is he the same goof as in the first one, who calls you up just to have you come over to drink beer or to go help him score with girls? :lol
I'm close to finishing the game and he is a lot more helpful. Hasn't done anything stupid yet and actually provides intel.

Combichristoffersen

ChocolateCupcakes said:
I'm close to finishing the game and he is a lot more helpful. Hasn't done anything stupid yet and actually provides intel.

So they made Zeke boring :| I liked him the most in inFamous 1 because he actually had some semblance of personality, unlike the others which were.. not particularly interesting characters, really. Oh well, I'm still getting the game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Don't want to spoil anything ( but you already spoiled the entire game for yourself by reading wiki on the beast , wth dude?), but he redeemed himself ( good and evil paths) I actually liked his characters and what he did in this game.

So they made Zeke boring :| I liked him the most in inFamous 1 because he actually had some semblance of personality, unlike the others which were.. not particularly interesting characters, really. Oh well, I'm still getting the game.

No, not boring at all, he is cool in infamous 2

LiK

A bigger part of the story and not annoying at all. Since you finished the first one, the callbacks between them are much cooler. :D

I think Zeke overall took a backseat in the "funny sidekick" department in this game. But I wouldn't say boring.

NHale

Thanks for spoiling the ending guys. Clearly the spoiler tag is not necessary when discussing the ending and the future of the franchise...

I remember some people on gaf hated Zeke because he was a gun-toting, right-wing, girl-chasing goofball who lives on a roof, personally I thought Zeke was great.

Combichristoffersen

MalboroRed said:
I remember some people on gaf hated Zeke because he was a gun-toting, right-wing, girl-chasing goofball who lives on a roof, personally I thought Zeke was great.

Yeah, I loved him exactly because he was a goof who had no worries in life other than watching TV, drinking beer and (unsuccesfully) chasing girls :lol But I didn't notice any right-wing tendencies?

Irish

I've always been a fan of Zeke because he just seemed like a really humorous dude.

______

Come on, guys. You never wander into an Official Thread once the game has been released until you have finished the game yourself. You're just setting yourselves up to get spoiled, even if everything were correctly tagged. It's the only way to stay fresh for sure.

I hope I can kill Zeke in a good playthrough. Zeke might not have been boring in inFamous 1, but he was incredibly unlikeable. I couldn't stand the douche.

LiK

Foxtastical said:
I hope I can kill Zeke in a good playthrough. Zeke might not have been boring in inFamous 1, but he was incredibly unlikeable. I couldn't stand the douche.
I hated Zeke in the first game but I liked him in the sequel. I was pleasantly surprised.

Irish

Both Zeke and Cole were obviously roguish types before the events of the first game. Zeke was a douche (pissing on cops and selling dudes explosive batteries), but I thought it was in a really funny way.

Top Bottom