• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Irish said:
Both Zeke and Cole were obviously roguish types before the events of the first game. Zeke was a douche (pissing on cops and selling dudes explosive batteries), but I thought it was in a really funny way.

I remember the explosive batteries, but only have a vague recollection of the pissing on cops thing. Cole and Zeke got hauled over by the police after having been out drinking, and Cole needing to take a leak ended up pissing on the cop's shoes, something like that, right?

Haint

Donthizz# said:
After that ending how are they going to do a sequel?

Huh? Spoiler alert:
Wasn't the final scene of the epilogue showing a giant lightning bolt striking the boat dead cole was on, obviously implying him being shocked back to life?

Thrakier

Irish said:
Come on, guys. You never wander into an Official Thread once the game has been released until you have finished the game yourself. You're just setting yourselves up to get spoiled, even if everything were correctly tagged. It's the only way to stay fresh for sure.

Maybe, but that was just plain dumb, really. I mean, what was he thinking? That was a major ending spoiler and he was throwing it out like nothing!
Resistance 3 managed it blah...everone knows that Nathan Hale died and even more possibly know what R3 has a new hero

Irish

Combichristoffersen said:
I remember the explosive batteries, but only have a vague recollection of the pissing on cops thing. Cole and Zeke got hauled over by the police after having been out drinking, and Cole needing to take a leak ended up pissing on the cop's shoes, something like that, right?

Nah, Zeke was the one doing the pissing. The cop told him to put his hands up, so he did and started spraying around wildly. They used that as a distraction and took off.

Thrakier said:
Maybe, but that was just plain dumb, really. I mean, what was he thinking? That was a major ending spoiler and he was throwing it out like nothing!
Resistance 3 managed it blah...everone knows that Nathan Hale died and even more possibly know what R3 has a new hero

Yeah, I definitely understand where you are coming from. I just thought everyone would follow that OT rule that I usually enforce on myself.

Thrakier

Irish said:
Yeah, I definitely understand where you are coming from. I just thought everyone would follow that OT rule that I usually enforce on myself.

Discussing the ending without spoiler tags certainly isn't the rule in a OT thread for a game that just released! And it's still there, so more and more people get spoiled.

Wait, there are HOURS of music in this game? Damn, the sound mix really is bad then... though I didn't hear almost any music when I played inFamous 1 either.

Anyway what I COULD hear in this game is very good, I was very surprised by the soundtrack, hope they fix it in time for my evil playthrough.

Irish said:
I've always been a fan of Zeke because he just seemed like a really humorous dude.

______

Come on, guys. You never wander into an Official Thread once the game has been released until you have finished the game yourself. You're just setting yourselves up to get spoiled, even if everything were correctly tagged. It's the only way to stay fresh for sure.

Then why has 98% of this thread been marked w/ spoiler tags in talking about the ending?

I came in here a couple times to ask questions as do others, shouldn't have to be spoiled about the ending in looking for the answers.

Irish

Look, I'm not saying the poster did a good thing by not marking the spoilers, but I am saying you all should know just as well as I that an OT is never, ever safe until you finish the game. The risk of getting spoiled is just way too high. Should people mark their spoilers correctly? Hell yeah.

Risk Breaker said:
Wait, there are HOURS of music in this game? Damn, the sound mix really is bad then... though I didn't hear almost any music when I played inFamous 1 either.

Anyway what I COULD hear in this game is very good, I was very surprised by the soundtrack, hope they fix it in time for my evil playthrough.

The audio in the game absolutely sucked to me. Wasn't very impressed at all :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished with the good ending. Excellent game. The first half was OK but the second half is utterly fantastic, especially the last few missions. You really feel like a superhero.

LiK

bdizzle said:
The audio in the game absolutely sucked to me. Wasn't very impressed at all :(

the ambient sound is bad. even Brad from GB pointed it out in his review. i was quite disappointed. the soundtrack is just as good as the first game tho.

Thrakier said:
Too late. And badcrumbles spoiler is still live and shocking.

That's why you never into OT threads until you finish the game. If I have a question or I'm stuck, I'll go on gamefaqs or somewhere else.

NIN90

Flood Town is a really great change from the mostly samey enviroments on the first island.
Shame that there's not much content in the area.

LiK

NIN90 said:
Flood Town is a really great change from the mostly samey enviroments on the first island.
Some nice platformer section but I didnt like most of the sidequests there.

Took my long sweet time with it and just got the good ending
COLE DIES? NOOOOOOO!!! I didn't see this one coming oh dammit -_-"

but in the end a huge lighting struck down so I guess it's an open ending.

did they made this ending so they leave inFamous IP for a while now and maybe return to it in the next generation? I think so..... but I hope I'm wrong and we get inFamous 3 in 2013.

Better than the first game in many levels.... shocked to see some people and reviews saying the first game was better :\

Now to collect all the remain Trophies and then start playing on Hard to get the Evil ending.

Oh one more thing... I missed the sewers missions :(

Chiggs

Gold Member
NIN90 said:

It's easily my favorite environment in the game. It justs looks really awesome, and I love how the people will run underwater to get away from you.

Bowdz

What? How?

The fact that he stabbed Cole in the back just for the promise of personal gain was enough to make me hate him. I felt like they glossed over the significance of that betrayal in I2 considering the last line of the I1 good ending was "...and Zeke. I don't know what to think. I've never been more alone."

Bowdz said:
The fact that he stabbed Cole in the back just for the promise of personal gain was enough to make me hate him. I felt like they glossed over the significance of that betrayal in I2 considering the last line of the I1 good ending was "...and Zeke. I don't know what to think. I've never been more alone."

True, but Cole is pretty un-trusting of Zeke for the first half of the game and goes to a lot of effort to help Cole.

I agree with people missing the sewers/trash tower, but this game does have it's own nice locations like the swamps, flood town and the industrial district (with
ice tower
) and I'm glad they mixed it up a bit.

By far the buggiest bit of the game seems to be that Dunbar Beam mission, the enemies didn't seem to be bothered to attack half of the time, particularly the last section.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Bowdz said:
Sure it was a kinda douchey move of him, but if you were Zeke and lived his rather empy, dull life, and suddenly had the chance to gain powers beyond your wildest dreams, powers that would make people finally pay attention to you, like you or, if you chose the evil route, fear you.. wouldn't you take the chance?

They removed the sewer missions in the sequel? I liked those. How about the surveillance equipment missions, are they intact or not?

Bowdz said:

There was a lot of uneasiness between Cole and Zeke throughout 2 because of that, Zeke basically did try to make up for his betrayal.

Bowdz said:

Nonsense.
I thought they did a great job of showing the distrust Cole has for Zeke early in the game, "I better not wake up in a Militia cage", but slowly the friendship re-strengthens. And at no point is Zeke ever unlikeable.

Bowdz

Sure it was a kinda douchey move of him, but if you were Zeke and lived his rather empy, dull life, and suddenly had the chance to gain powers beyond your wildest dreams, powers that would make people finally pay attention to you, like you or, if you chose the evil route, fear you.. wouldn't you take the chance?

They removed the sewer missions in the sequel? I liked those. How about the surveillance equipment missions, are they intact or not?

Infamous 1 Cutscenes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFqqZmZyS6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RkC54c_Gj4&feature=related

I understand his motivations, but he didn't just try to gain superpowers, but did so at the cost of countless civilian lives and to top it off, gave Cole's nemesis the item Cole needed. This is on top of the initial screw up at the jail which cost numerous police their lives. Zeke seems like a friendly person, but those two actions alone say more than any of his blunt sarcastic lines. He is more concerned with personal gain than the wellbeing of his friend of the people around him. It is not until he finds out that he can't get super powers and becomes isolated from Cole that he realizes how much he screwed up (at least that was my take on the situation). For something that significant, I wish SP hadn't made Cole and Zeke act like nothing was wrong in I2 besides two lines of dialog:

"Who's side are you on? ... Well my faith's been shaken before."

"I'm sorry Zeke ... I've been treating you like shit..." (despite acting to the contrary).

I'm sure it varies from person to person, but I just did not find Zeke to be a likable character.

weekend_warrior said:
Nonsense.
I thought they did a great job of showing the distrust Cole has for Zeke early in the game, "I better not wake up in a Militia cage", but slowly the friendship re-strengthens. And at no point is Zeke ever unlikeable.

Besides the lines of dialog listed above and a few others sprinkled throughout, there is really no difference in the relationship between Cole and Zeke from the first game and the second game. Cole and Zeke still crack and laugh at each other's jokes and direct each other around the city. Nothing felt like Cole was giving Zeke the cold shoulder in the first half of the game which is why it was surprising to hear Cole apologizing for treating Zeke like shit.

Carbonox

Bah I just need to finish Hard mode on Evil to get the Platinum trophy but I need some encouragement. Is playing through Evil as fun as it was to play through Good? Feel free to spoiler tag some additional information that will be handy for me.

Irish

Salmonax said:
So I started a new game, switched immediately to hard, and yet it still offered to promote me to hard later. Should I restart?

I think you should be good as long you accept the offer.

Mid-game spoiler:

So after I
rescued Kuo from the power transferring device
, I got a call from Zeke
saying that she finally managed to sleep after taking 3 sleeping pills.

Half a minute later, I stopped a mugging and whaddaya know,
Kuo calls me up to congratulate me as usual for making the town better or something along those lines,
what's up with that?

Lingitiz

OneMoreQuestion said:
Mid-game spoiler:

So after I
rescued Kuo from the power transferring device
, I got a call from Zeke
saying that she finally managed to sleep after taking 3 sleeping pills.

Half a minute later, I stopped a mugging and whaddaya know,
Kuo calls me up to congratulate me as usual for making the town better or something along those lines,
what's up with that?
I think that happened to me as well. Pretty much classic open world jank.

Finished it on Monday and as a huge fan of the first game I gotta say this was a real letdown. First of all the story was kinda bad, missions didn't have much variety and characters like Nix and Kuo felt irrelevant...like they were just slapped there to define whether you're good or bad. The most stupid and irritating thing was the
Flood Town
. If the designer who came up with that idea is a man I'd like to kick him in the balls. The in-game cutscenes were lame, just stick with that comic book storytelling Sucker Punch! Also the lack of sounds in the city was disturbing. At first I thought that something was wrong with my game disc or PS3.

Oh well, combat was somehow better 'cos I felt being really powerful. Slamming an Ionic Vortex in to a large group of enemies was so satisfying. Other new powers like Kinetic Pulse and
Lightning Tether
were awesome. Collecting Blast Shard was surprisingly fun this time around.

It wasn't a bad game, not at all. Just disappointing in many ways. Gonna start my next playtrough as inFAMOUS on Hard soon. I'm hoping there's some good UGC by then!

mizuk_i

Anyone feel like the evil side of the powers just can't compare to the good ones? Ice jump alone made me enjoy this game alot more than the first.

Lince

Banned
mizuk_i said:
Anyone feel like the evil side of the powers just can't compare to the good ones? Ice jump alone made me enjoy this game alot more than the first.

well the ultimate rockets you can unlock while playing 'evil' are more powerful than all the 'hero' powers combined. I miss the ice jump too though.

Suzzopher

It begins again! Blast shards are consuming my gaming life!

I love this game. Loved the first and everything by Sucker Punch, but they have really improved the mechanics in this sequel.

Does the game open up to bigger and taller buildings after the first area?

Amir0x

Banned
i still think they need to add prototype-esque travel abilities in this game. I shouldn't have to be tethered to a fucking wire to travel that speed. I wanna fucking run up the side of buildings at 290mph. Ice Jump does not compensate.

Prototype sucked at a lot of things, but traveling around the world was not one of them.

I'd be content with a patch that added more ambient sounds. The city is so damned quiet its unnerving.

Amir0x said:
Prototype sucked at a lot of things, but traveling around the world was not one of them.
Ain't that the truth.

Amir0x

Banned
Crewnh said:
It sounds like you want an entirely different super powered character. Rather than Spider-Man, you want the Hulk.

No, it sounds like I just want gameplay to come before shitty storylines "inhibitors" that I have no interest in in the first place, since all game storylines blow. The dude is a fucking electric man, all his powers are based on pseudoscience. Make up some bullshit like "OMG COLE HAS DISCOVERED THE ABILITY TO POSITIVELY CHARGE THE IONS IN THE AIR SO HE CAN PROPELL HIMSELF FORWARD AT FIVE THOUSAND MPH UP THE SIDE OF A BUILDING." It's all dumb made up bs anyway, so if they're gonna go that route you might as well go to the limit with it.

SimonM7

Amir0x said:
No, it sounds like I just want gameplay to come before shitty storylines "inhibitors" that I have no interest in in the first place, since all game storylines blow. The dude is a fucking electric man, all his powers are based on pseudoscience. Make up some bullshit like "OMG COLE HAS DISCOVERED THE ABILITY TO POSITIVELY CHARGE THE IONS IN THE AIR SO HE CAN PROPELL HIMSELF FORWARD AT FIVE THOUSAND MPH UP THE SIDE OF A BUILDING." It's all dumb made up bs anyway, so if they're gonna go that route you might as well go to the limit with it.

InFamous is still largely a platformer at heart. Traversal, actual mindful traversal and knowing how to combine the powers that you're introduced to to get around faster is a huge part of what makes the game enjoyable on a fundamental, core level. Introducing powers that effectively let you steamroll that gameplay would make half the game redundant.

It's a balance act. It's about introducing obstacles that are genuine obstacles, then giving you the tools to get increasingly adept at tackling and traversing them. Prototype simply established a shoebox world and gave you the ability to completely disregard it, which is also why challenge and opposing elements - when they come into play in Prototype - mostly consist of frustration rather than a satisfying test of your abilities.

InFamous is so infinitely more subtle than that, and I guess that makes it not for everyone.

Mid?-game spoilers:

I just
got another blast core from the old guy after saving flood town. Two to go, apparently.
How many hours have I got left for the main mission? I skipped all the side missions so far, I'll do them after the main mission is over :D

Thrakier

Amir0x said:
i still think they need to add prototype-esque travel abilities in this game. I shouldn't have to be tethered to a fucking wire to travel that speed. I wanna fucking run up the side of buildings at 290mph. Ice Jump does not compensate.

Hell no! That would totally destroy the charme and challenge of infamous! If you think like that you just don't "get" the game. That's fine, there is Prototype 2 instead. ;)

The lightning tether is probably the closest thing to a fast traversal system in the game, but it's such a poor tool that I just don't use it most of the time. I will probably use it when I go after the blast shards, however.

It'd be more fun if you could fire the tether out, creating a sort of pseudo-power line that you could jump on and run across - kind of like a horizontal Spider-man..

As demonstrated by the lightning tether, a choice of travel options is a good thing, but at the same time it doesn't mean that you have to use those options. I agree with Ami - a faster way of getting around would be nice sometimes, but it doesn't mean that you have to use it all the time if at all.

That was my main problem with the EDGE review..

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I used the tether much more in my second playthrough. It takes some practice, but eventually I was swinging through NM like Spidey in NY.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
neorej said:
I used the tether much more in my second playthrough. It takes some practice, but eventually I was swinging through NM like Spidey in NY.

Indeed. As I said already, the tether is awesome but very under-used in the game because a) you get it fairly late and b) most buildings are rather low so it's easy to touch the ground before you can attach to the next building.

The tether also has a too limited range.

Someone should make an UGC level with a sky-path made of two parallel rows of tall/floating structures to be traversed Spider-man style.

LiK

Tether is great. Basically a powerup to be Spider-Man. Makes me wish Sony would release a Spider-Man skin. I wanted that in the first game already.

Top Bottom