• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Lince

Banned
Hanmik said:

in regard of empty space I meant how much not how many lol.. sorry, well maybe you should try the 'rebuild database' option of the recovery menu... (I'm not sure if this works with the latest firmwares on Slim models).

the method is simple: with the ps3 off, hold down the power button, the ps3 will startup and auto shut off after some seconds, let go of the button , then press it again and hold it down again, the ps3 will startup and when you hear 2 fast beeps let go, and you will enter recovery menu, connect your DS3 controller via USB and select the 'rebuild database' option, it will check and attempt to fix corrupt data on your HDD.

I appreciate Sony letting users swap the original hard drives for some bigger/faster one but the list of incompatibilities and weird errors is awful.

Hanmik said:
sucks to be me right now

<3 good luck, the game is well worth the effort but if neither of the possible solutions work just call Sony and get the disc version. Cheers man.

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
SimonM7's post was on-point. What I think makes inFamous a fun platformer is the combinations of skills and the way I can manage to use them. It does feel like a sporty/parkour mini-game, especially the times where I have a good 'run' going. I catch myself at times holding my breath as I'm griding to gliding to grinding and I aim to land on a specific wire or lamppost. I'm just glad that SP added some vertical moves (car jump/power wire/ice jump) in this game and I hope they add more.

beautifully explained, but some people are just too bored of videogames already so they don't consider this to be fun, I concur it's simply awesome when you take the risk of gliding from wire to wire and just barely making it with this big grin on your face or missing the jump/landing and then looking for a launching pole or safe place while descending with your thrusters, it adds so much to the game when you don't have 'anything to do' between missions or simply while looking for collectibles / Karma missions.

Every time I see a streetlamp I try to absorb electricity out of it. :lol

haha! I guess you need to take a couple of days off videogames!

Hanmik

Lince said:
<3 good luck, the game is well worth the effort but if neither of the possible solutions work just call Sony and get the disc version. Cheers man.

thanks.. I have tried the rebuild database option (first thing I tried), did not work.

there is actually a bit more story to my situation.. you can read it here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433273

I have tried to backup everything and restore my PS3 (did a quick format, because a complete format would take 23,6 hours).. and then the game installed fine and worked the first time I tried it, but now I have the strange "corrupt file" problem..

it sucks because, like I said, I loved inFamous 1, and was looking forward to playing nr. 2..

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Lince said:
beautifully explained, but some people are just too bored of videogames already so they don't consider this to be fun.
I don't think the defense of inFAMOUS's parkour system should be a variant of "if you don't like it, you hate video games".

Maybe this analogy makes sense:
Some people may only like the main missions.
Something like doing insane amount of tricks in a tight space ala THPS1

I like the traversal the platforming that it requires to pull off a good run.
It's comparing the Skate franchise to the old-school THPS games that were arcade and score dominated. The skate franchise is about having a good run while covering some distance.

One of the two isn't necessarily right and there are probably many that like both, it's just that if you mainly enjoy the former it won't appeal to you.

Lince

Banned
Hanmik said:
thanks.. I have tried the rebuild database option (first thing I tried), did not work.

there is actually a bit more story to my situation.. you can read it here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433273

After reading the post you linked I believe it's definitely a hardware related issue, in your situation I'd go as far as having my PS3 Slim replaced for a new one this very afternoon (as it's barely 2 months old) or ASAP, the store shouldn't ask you anything since it's obvious the hardware is faulty (weird noises, slow loading, some games not working...) don't forget to backup your game saves first of course. Get a refund for your Infamous 2 download by calling Sony and telling about the error code you're getting and buy the disc version elsewhere, good luck again!

bandresen said:
I don't think the defense of inFAMOUS's parkour system should be a variant of "if you don't like it, you hate video games".

correct and agreed, I just wanted to note that the parkour system of inFamous is generally regarded as fun to play around with, not that the people that find it flawed hate videogames, that's not the case and is really unfair to say.

Hanmik

Lince said:
After reading the post you linked I believe it's definitely a hardware related issue, in your situation I'd go as far as having my PS3 Slim replaced for a new one this very afternoon (as it's barely 2 months old) or ASAP, the store shouldn't ask you anything since it's obvious the hardware is faulty (weird noises, slow loading, some games not working...) don't forget to backup your game saves first of course. Get a refund for your Infamous 2 download by calling Sony and telling about the error code you're getting and buy the disc version elsewhere, good luck again!

I just called the shop. They told me to make a backup, and turn the PS3 in with them. Then they will check my PS3 for faults.. I will get a "loan-PS3" while mine is in the workshop.. that is just Bullshit in my ears.. for fucks sake. This digital era is going to kill my gaming.

Did they use the same engine as the first?

Because the graphics are a lot better and different. The first one was an ugly gray mess. This one full of vivid colors and sharp textures, and detailed characters. I almost wonder if they used the uncharted engine.

Definitely one of the largest graphical leaps between two games on the same system.

I don't know if this was posted before or if anyone had the same problem I couldn't read all the last pages because I'm so nervous right now and i need help ASAP for THIS:

unledwj.jpg

Just what the HELL? did this happened to you guys with this power? completed the stunts and then the power is still locked?

I don't want to do all this over again with my 2nd playthrough and collect the exps and finish all the 60 side quests only for this to happened again :\

is there anyway to fix this? did I do something wrong? how can I unlock this now ;_; !?

The Praiseworthy said:
I don't know if this was posted before or if anyone had the same problem I couldn't read all the last pages because I'm so nervous right now and i need help ASAP for THIS:

unledwj.jpg

Just what the HELL? did this happened to you guys with this power? completed the stunts and then the power is still locked?

I don't want to do all this over again with my 2nd playthrough and collect the exps and finish all the 60 side quests only for this to happened again :\

is there anyway to fix this? did I do something wrong? how can I unlock this now ;_; !?
Shit, that sucks. Sticky Rocket is one of the best and most important powers in the game, too. Sucker Punch shouldn't have made that sort of thing possible, but a good failsafe would've been to have the power-earning trigger activate not only at 3 stunts, but at 4, 5, 6, 7... et cetera. Seems like it only triggers at 3, and whatever bug messed you up may have permanently screwed you out of the power. Hope you've got an earlier save :(

badcrumble said:
Shit, that sucks. Sticky Rocket is one of the best and most important powers in the game, too. Sucker Punch shouldn't have made that sort of thing possible, but a good failsafe would've been to have the power-earning trigger activate not only at 3 stunts, but at 4, 5, 6, 7... et cetera. Seems like it only triggers at 3, and whatever bug messed you up may have permanently screwed you out of the power. Hope you've got an earlier save :(
I don't have earlier save... what to doooooooooo ;_; ?

Lince

Banned
Hanmik said:
I just called the shop. They told me to make a backup, and turn the PS3 in with them. Then they will check my PS3 for faults.. I will get a "loan-PS3" while mine is in the workshop.. that is just Bullshit in my ears.. for fucks sake. This digital era is going to kill my gaming.

that is pure bullshit and I would call some friend to join me and go into the store and ask for my rights as a consumer, where are you from? in Spain these kind of consumer electronics devices have a policy of 6 months - 1 year of full refund or replace with no questions if the hardware is faulty or not capable of doing what advertised, no 'loans' or 'will check at the workshop' bullshit... guess it's the same for the rest of the countries of the European Union?

I remember my first Xbox 360 (Pro) got the ring red of death 11 months after I bought it and they offered me a full refund or a new one (from their latest shipment) with no questions, they even apologized a couple of times, I almost felt bad, almost. Then I bought a PSP and it had 3 dead pixels, I came back a couple of days later and the man at the counter proceeded to open some PSP packs until I was satisfied with the screen (I think it was the second one he unboxed in front of me which had a perfect screen), no questions, no bullshit, just the law. Years later, different store, the good old cracked hinge of the Nintendo DS Lite... and once again, new system with not a single question.

Feature

Banned
For some reason I just can't stand this Zeke character. I can't put my finger on it, but he just annoys me so bad that it makes me put the game down. I know it's really dumb, but that's how I feel. Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that he never shuts up over that intercom thing.

Lince

Banned
Shadow of the BEAST said:

Because the graphics are a lot better and different. The first one was an ugly gray mess. This one full of vivid colors and sharp textures, and detailed characters. I almost wonder if they used the uncharted engine.

Definitely one of the largest graphical leaps between two games on the same system.

well it's not a miracle, after inFamous 1 they promised to use the Cell SPUs more intensively and specially for graphics tasks the same way as Uncharted or Killzone... the results are quite shocking as you can see, if you compare the games side by side the difference is dramatic, there's simply so many subtle changes and improvements on top of the most apparent. And the best is that there's still room for improvement and optimization, I really hope Sony sticks with the Cell architecture (improved with a better PPU and more SPUs) and a better GPU (GTX260 with 512 MB of dedicated VRAM as the bare minimum) for the PS4.

this is the article I read the Cell/SPUs information from:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/254375/news/infamous-2-cant-be-done-on-xbox-dev/

There's "no way" games like Uncharted 2 and Infamous 2 could be made on Xbox 360. That's what Sucker Punch development director, Chris Zimmerman thinks anyway.

He said in a recent interview: "There's just more processing power on the PS3. If you look at games like Uncharted 2 that's a game that you actually can't do on Xbox no matter how clever you are."

"InFamous 2 is going to be the same way," he told Play mag. "You'll look at it and see that there's no way we could have done this game on 360."

It took the team at Sucker Punch a while to work out how to fully utilise the power of the PS3, says Zimmerman, admitting that it made some "dumb decisions" with the original InFamous.

"The PS3 has this elaborate architecture where there's a whole bunch of different places you can have your code run and we had it all running in the slow part."

"In technical terms the biggest thing that we've done (for inFamous 2) is migrate a much larger part of our code to run on the SPUs," he said.

of course the 'this and that can't be done on Xbox 360' are PR bullshit, they've never tried to make a game using the strengths of said system, neither Naughty Dog or Guerrilla so we'll never know, what we do know is that the 360 has some amazing looking games out there.

Cesar

Banned
I have a question about a trophy, there's one where you need to unlock all the powers but there are some that only unlock when you have a bad or good karma level. Do I have to be both good and bad in the same playthrough to get this trophy?

Cesar said:
I have a question about a trophy, there's one where you need to unlock all the powers but there are some that only unlock when you have a bad or good karma level. Do I have to be both good and bad in the same playthrough to get this trophy?

No. If you're playing good Cole unlock all the god powers and you will get the trophy.

If your first play through is evil Cole then unlock all the evil powers for it.

Cesar said:
No, just unlock everything relating to your karma and the neutral powers.

Cesar

Banned
demosthenes said:
No. If you're playing good Cole unlock all the god powers and you will get the trophy.

If your first play through is evil Cole then unlock all the evil powers for it.

RyanardoDaVinci said:

Ok, thanks gaffers.

ukas

RyanardoDaVinci said:
When you finish the second run through it actually unlocks access to all powers for that saved game and gives you a healthy 15,000XP to boot. I just have to buy all the powers and I'll have my first Platinum.

The Praiseworthy said:

unledwj.jpg

A quick google search shows that people are having the same problem when they do the stunts in a UGC mission. Could that have been the problem?

Edit: It could also be that you need to use Alpha rockets for the stunt.

weekend_warrior said:
when they do the stunts in a UGC mission. Could that have been the problem?

and THAT's was the problem .... thanks :D

btw guys... if I faiiled defusing a bomb and missed the shard, or killed an escaping man with a shard in the water and the shard is gone...... well I still be able to get all the 305 shards somehow ?

jackdoe

The Praiseworthy said:
and THAT's was the problem .... thanks :D

btw guys... if I faiiled defusing a bomb and missed the shard, or killed an escaping man with a shard in the water and the shard is gone...... well I still be able to get all the 305 shards somehow ?
Those don't count towards the 305 shard count I believe.

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but I looked through the last few pages and didn't see it. I'll be playing through this twice (like the last one) and just wondering what the general consensus is on which order should I be playing through it? Bad first then good or the opposite? I guess which one opens more motility options which makes going through the city faster for the second playthrough?

SteveWinwood said:
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but I looked through the last few pages and didn't see it. I'll be playing through this twice (like the last one) and just wondering what the general consensus is on which order should I be playing through it? Bad first then good or the opposite? I guess which one opens more motility options which makes going through the city faster for the second playthrough?

Good has the better mobility, but the powers are more precise.

For me, it was Evil - Hard just like the first game because I don't have to worry about collateral damage, and instead, I'm rewarded for it. The last rocket + cluster grenade you get for Evil completely shits on pretty much every enemy though.

Except for Ice Crushers. They can still shit on you if there are two or them.

Thanks, I'll be doing good through then first. Another question I have is that I transferred (transfarred) my infamous 1 save files over to a different playstation but are still signed into the same psn account. Does it not recognize these files or do I have to have the install as well? I thought that you got stuff with infamous 1 save files? I platinum'd the last game.

Amir0x

Banned
KaotikMind said:
I saw your edit.

Anyway how is traversal a problem in either of the games? Even if it was neither game would be mediocre cause of it.

I felt inFAMOUS is mediocre for a lot of reasons other than that, which I listed ages ago in the old topic. The traveling is just the reason I chose to highlight. inFAMOUS 2 isn't mediocre, it improved a lot of problems the first game had. Although it regressed in terms of platforming: there is even less meaningful platforming in inFAMOUS 2 than inFAMOUS 1, and people are trying to tell me that's the reason the current travel method is good.

What I don't get is how substantively it is any different than Prototype as is. The only difference is speed. In Prototype buildings don't matter; in inFAMOUS buildings don't matter. I'm trying to grasp why people think there is some fundamental difference between the games and how inFAMOUS approach is apparently better for it.

In Prototype you can platform across two dozen buildings at once - in inFAMOUS 2 you can platform across 4 or 5 buildings at once. In both cases platforming has basically non-importance. So I figure traveling around in a far faster and more engaging fashion, that is to say with no limits, would better facilitate getting to the parts that most people want to play... which is the missions.

The missions have much better variety and design this time around.

I didn't find Infamous 1's garbage tower and prison to be particularly engaging. The amount of magnetism each platform/handhold had made the whole thing pretty effortless.

The Praiseworthy said:

unledwj.jpg

Did you do it when a mission isn't active? Maybe that's what you need.

Ending spoiler territory, but I was reading through the Infamous wikia and came across this...

Hey, Ho

Why wasn't he the beast? Seems to have the perfect motivation to go after Kessler/Cole and would have made for a nice end of I2 twist where you learn that Kessler/Cole was directly responsible for creating the beast.

John as the beast feels even more hokey/underdeveloped after this. :(

Amir0x said:
I felt inFAMOUS is mediocre for a lot of reasons other than that, which I listed ages ago in the old topic. The traveling is just the reason I chose to highlight. inFAMOUS 2 isn't mediocre, it improved a lot of problems the first game had. Although it regressed in terms of platforming: there is even less meaningful platforming in inFAMOUS 2 than inFAMOUS 1, and people are trying to tell me that's the reason the current travel method is good.

What I don't get is how substantively it is any different than Prototype as is. The only difference is speed. In Prototype buildings don't matter; in inFAMOUS buildings don't matter. I'm trying to grasp why people think there is some fundamental difference between the games and how inFAMOUS approach is apparently better for it.

In Prototype you can platform across two dozen buildings at once - in inFAMOUS 2 you can platform across 4 or 5 buildings at once. In both cases platforming has basically non-importance. So I figure traveling around in a far faster and more engaging fashion, that is to say with no limits, would better facilitate getting to the parts that most people want to play... which is the missions.

The missions have much better variety and design this time around.

In Infamous 2 buildings do matter not just for platforming but in terms of combat when you're either behind various objects or just hanging on the ledge for cover.

You can travel pretty fast using the static thrusters while pulling yourself using the tether, too bad Cole gets it so late, still the ice launch and the vertical wires are very useful, not to mention the improved static thrusters make platforming pretty fast as it is.

Ha, even the game hates Zeke. Just ran into a bug where every enemy was ignoring me and focusing their attacks on a stationary/invincible Zeke (standing at a mission start marker). I've left one rocket launcher guy alive to keep shooting him while I eat lunch. Good times.

Speedymanic said:
Ending spoiler territory, but I was reading through the Infamous wikia and came across this...

Hey, Ho

Why wasn't he the beast? Seems to have the perfect motivation to go after Kessler/Cole and would have made for a nice end of I2 twist where you learn that Kessler/Cole was directly responsible for creating the beast.

John as the beast feels even more hokey/underdeveloped after this. :(
Cause he's a shitty character made for the comic to get rid of all the loose ends for the first game.

DireStr8s

welp, just got burnt by the pain builds character trophy. not gonna go through that bullshit for a third time. if the disc survives the night im trading it in tomorrow.

beast786

So I downloaded the digital copy today.

Where is the option for user created content?

Also, it seems you can play story at a time?

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Loving everything about the game except for two things:

1. Having to wait for powers to become available, then having to unlock them, then having to PAY for them. Think I preferred the old upgrade system better.

2. Trying to keep myself oriented when a bunch of enemies are around or I'm getting tossed around by explosions/charge attacks/etc. The camera kind of goes fucking nuts in these situations which usually prevents me from getting to safety or healing up.

SteveWinwood said:
Thanks, I'll be doing good through then first. Another question I have is that I transferred (transfarred) my infamous 1 save files over to a different playstation but are still signed into the same psn account. Does it not recognize these files or do I have to have the install as well? I thought that you got stuff with infamous 1 save files? I platinum'd the last game.
Anyone?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
SteveWinwood said:
Oh snap. If I sync them now will it give me credit? Or should I start again (I only got like 20 mins in).
When you do a new game it will ask you to select what kind of information you want to import or if you want to start from scratch.

Shadow of the BEAST said:

They probably revamped the engine, the lighting has been massively improved, it's got the main light casting volumetric shadows, something that basically the more technically advanced games like Uncharted 3 and Gears 3 are doing, the game definitely has tone-mapping now, character models are massively improved in terms of details, although I'm not sure how much technology sharing Sucker Punch gets from the Sony team since they're not a Sony-owned studio.

Lingitiz

element said:
how is UGC treating everyone?
The stream of content is definitely improving, especially in the platforming levels. I've dabbled around a bit in UGC and its a ton a fun just looking for areas in New Marais to build missions around.

Top Bottom