• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Am I the only one who finds this game kind if a drag?

I'm enjoying it, and it's really well made, but I find myself bored if I play for more than an hour.

I think it has to do with the open world. The missions that were more focused where the best parts like
the assault on the fort

I'd love to see Sucker Punch go back to their linear styled games.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Lingitiz said:
The stream of content is definitely improving, especially in the platforming levels. I've dabbled around a bit in UGC and its a ton a fun just looking for areas in New Marais to build missions around.

I played the one of the first batch of missions made by SP and an event glitch basically prevented me from finishing it. After that I was kind of soured on the whole concept, between the main story and side missions the UGC just seems out of place and unecessary.

teiresias

Does this game get substantially better/more interesting past the first island (looks like there are two)? I just finished the mission where you finally get
your ice powers. The mission storming the fort.

I found this mission exceedingly annoying and highlighting all that I find annoying about this game (and I loved inFamous 1). More and more and more boring militia - with waaaaay to many militia with gattling guns (or whatever they are), and the camera completely screwing you over any time you get hit by a grenade or a rocket or a mortar. It's gotten very boring very quickly, and I don't even like the battles with the big mutants - not the burrowing ones, and definitely not the crustacean venom spewing giant ones
the one you fight when you first meet Laroche
(I haven't found a good strategy for these guys and find them very annoying).

In any event, I'm having to force myself to play it at this point, and I'm really waiting for something interesting to happen because so far the story isn't doing it, I don't feel any connection to this city the way I did with the city in the first game. I dunno, something isn't clicking.

Lingitiz

DOO13ER said:
I played the one of the first batch of missions made by SP and an event glitch basically prevented me from finishing it. After that I was kind of soured on the whole concept, between the main story and side missions the UGC just seems out of place and unecessary.
I think it fits fine for this kind of open world game because the main mechanics of traversal and combat are really strong. The option to turn off the UGC stuff is there so if you don't want to deal with it you aren't forced to. Sucker Punch's missions are generally not that great because they are just basic missions that don't really get too wild as you would expect the community to get. As with any user generated thing you're gonna have garbage out there but its going to be up to Sucker Punch to highlight the really creative missions. I would much rather have something like UGC rather than a half assed MP component because it plays to the strengths of the mechanics. It gives me a reason to take advantage of a fully powered Cole after the ending by fooling around with the missions.

seady

Looking back at the redesigned Cole and compare to what we have now, I can't believe you guys were complaining.

That was so much better than the generic bald man we have now.

Cole_new.jpg

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
seady said:
Looking back at the redesigned Cole and compare to what we have now, I can't believe you guys were complaining.

I was thinking the same think until I played it being evil. I cant picture that other guy doing any of those decisions.

Zabka

seady said:

The in-game model was significantly worse.

Also it's a totally different character. Made no sense.

seady

Zabka said:
The in-game model was significantly worse.

Also it's a totally different character. Made no sense.

The redesigned Cole felt like it will become a memorable iconic character that will be remembered. The current one… I can't imagine people remembering it like Kratos or Nathan …it is so forgettable.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
canadian crowe said:
Am I the only one who finds this game kind if a drag?

I'm enjoying it, and it's really well made, but I find myself bored if I play for more than an hour.

I think it has to do with the open world. The missions that were more focused where the best parts like
the assault on the fort

I'd love to see Sucker Punch go back to their linear styled games.

I'd love Sucker Punch to look back at what made Infamous 1 great and restart from there. The more I see my kids playing though it, the more I realize just how better of a game it was.

I'm having an hard time finishing Infamous 2 a second time because every fucking mission is a "go kill some guys".

TTP said:
I'd love Sucker Punch to look back at what made Infamous 1 great and restart from there. The more I see my kids playing though it, the more I realize just how better of a game it was.

I'm having an hard time finishing Infamous 2 a second time because every fucking mission is a "go kill some guys".

I'm glad it's not just me. I really preferred the original Cole too. Sure he was a little generic, but his attire was more appropriate for a 'superhero', and voice was better.

There was also a real tangible progression to his skills. In this game, he has a ton of abilities but a lot of them feel redundant.

The Beast is pretty cool though.

NIN90

teiresias said:
Does this game get substantially better/more interesting past the first island (looks like there are two)? I just finished the mission where you finally get
your ice powers. The mission storming the fort.

The first are of the second island was probably my favrite part of the game.

Lince

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
This is one of the best games this gen! The more I play it the more I love it! <3

indeed <3 the combat is so much fun thanks to the revamped AI and new powers, combined with the already fun platforming mechanics from inFamous 1 and we have a winner here. I hope SP release some DLC packs for it.

Amir0x

Banned
seady said:
The redesigned Cole felt like it will become a memorable iconic character that will be remembered. The current one… I can't imagine people remembering it like Kratos or Nathan …it is so forgettable.

The point wasn't whether the character design was good (although I certainly didn't think so). The point was that since they went with a certain design for the first game they can't just insert a completely different looking character and call it a day. It doesn't make logical sense. It disconnects with the whole story, particularly considering you can import your save from the first title.

The character in the picture looks nothing like Cole from the first game. The Cole in inFAMOUS 2 does.

Amir0x said:
The point wasn't whether the character design was good (although I certainly didn't think so). The point was that since they went with a certain design for the first game they can't just insert a completely different looking character and call it a day. It doesn't make logical sense. It disconnects with the whole story, particularly considering you can import your save from the first title.

The character in the picture looks nothing like Cole from the first game. The Cole in inFAMOUS 2 does.

Plus that "redesigned" Cole looks way too normal and "clean." No matter if you're a good Cole or an evil Cole, that model doesn't fit the tone or voice they're going for at all IMO. He looks more like an SSX character, or some carefree parkour pizzaboy than a guy who's been through what Cole has.

I DO like the taped hand more than the "OMG so many papercuts" we have currently though.

Platinum Trophy :)

Evil ending was
very cool, I wonder how i3 will play out as the endings were so very different. Loved the last part with John/Beast, that was fucking cool!

Strong contender for Game of the Year for me, loved it and squeezed every last drop out of it. Will go back for some more UGC stuff I think too, there was genuinely interesting ones that had been made.

bandresen said:
When you do a new game it will ask you to select what kind of information you want to import or if you want to start from scratch.

This didn't work for me. Platinum'd inFAMOUS 1, still have save, games from the same region but I never got asked.

edgefusion

seady said:

I think the problem is that they designed a shit looking character to begin with. When they tried to fix it in inFamous 2 fans rightly pointed out that no, you can't just insert a new character and call him the old one. We're stuck with genero-bald now, although I hope for 3 they let him grow his hair at least.

I don't get the sentiment that Sucker Punch couldn't make the new Cole look evil or whatever though. Of course they could, they'd do it in the exact way they're doing it now and it'd be fine.

KennyLinder said:
Evil ending was
very cool, I wonder how i3 will play out as the endings were so very different. Loved the last part with John/Beast, that was fucking cool!

I wonder the same thing too,
the endings are so different I don't know how they can continue Coles story. They're going to have to take one ending as canon and introduce a new playable character otherwise it's going to piss off the fan base that picked the 'wrong' ending.
Whatever happens I'm excited for the next game!

Kweh

I can't get the last side mission on the first island to happen. It's quite annoying as it's the only territory I have left on the whole map. I keep going back to the area and wiping out the militia (if there are any, sometimes there isn't), but they never drop the side mission when they die.

edgefusion said:
I think the problem is that they designed a shit looking character to begin with. When they tried to fix it in inFamous 2 fans rightly pointed out that no, you can't just insert a new character and call him the old one. We're stuck with genero-bald now, although I hope for 3 they let him grow his hair at least.

I don't get the sentiment that Sucker Punch couldn't make the new Cole look evil or whatever though. Of course they could, they'd do it in the exact way they're doing it now and it'd be fine.

I wonder the same thing too,
the endings are so different I don't know how they can continue Coles story. They're going to have to take one ending as canon and introduce a new playable character otherwise it's going to piss off the fan base that picked the 'wrong' ending.
Whatever happens I'm excited for the next game!

Would be cool if you could play out two versions of the story. 1) Good, with a non-dead Cole from the lightning bolt, and 2) Evil, playing with multiple characters (co-op?) causing shit.

Lince

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Nope it's still there. The only thing I can think of is that I did a PS3>PS3 Slim transfer which might have affected it.

most probably... you're not missing much though.

Lince

Banned
element said:
how is UGC treating everyone?

UGC is starting to show some potential, I'm working on a stealth mission with challenging (but not frustrating) platforming and a good old combat area at the end forcing you to use the advanced melee techniques (no power sources around so you'll need to pull some combos) and the increased precision ('sniping') power to dispatch some (I'm trying) cleverly placed RPG spammers quickly before confronting the 'boss', it won't be ready anytime soon though, I'm not comfortable enough with the tools yet and I don't want to upload a buggy mess. The truth is I'm having a lot of fun creating and play-testing it.

BeeDog

KennyLinder said:
Nope it's still there. The only thing I can think of is that I did a PS3>PS3 Slim transfer which might have affected it.

This is it, I had the same problem. You need to insert InFamous 1 and start it up again so the trophy set gets installed on your new console. After that, exit the game, re-sync your trophies and I2 will recognize that you've finished the game.

BeeDog said:
This is it, I had the same problem. You need to insert InFamous 1 and start it up again so the trophy set gets installed on your new console. After that, exit the game, re-sync your trophies and I2 will recognize that you've finished the game.

Ah I see. Oh well, never mind, I have Platinum now anyway and won't play it again for a while (I was just curious really). I really have hammered it since it came out! :D

Thrakier

Lince said:
UGC is starting to show some potential, I'm working on a stealth mission with challenging (but not frustrating) platforming and a good old combat area at the end forcing you to use the advanced melee techniques (no power sources around so you'll need to pull some combos) and the increased precision ('sniping') power to dispatch some (I'm trying) cleverly placed RPG spammers quickly before confronting the 'boss', it won't be ready anytime soon though, I'm not comfortable enough with the tools yet and I don't want to upload a buggy mess. The truth is I'm having a lot of fun creating and play-testing it.

I'll be all over it.

Hazanko

Banned
Amir0x said:

Yeah exactly, that was the main reason for me. I didn't like that original character design for Infamous 2 to be honest. I know some loved it but it just didn't click with me. Even if the first game had that design.

Zeliard

Fun game, though shares a lot of the same poor elements as the first. Lame binary "moral" choices which are generally at their polar extremes and pointless to consider (though this doesn't stop people from going to comical lengths to try and defend it), dead open world, robotic NPCs, enemies that make you want to rip your hair out.

I'm playing on Hard again and some of the enemies are just shitty to fight. Namely any of the militia, especially the RPG militia. So bad. And it's still the same frustrating thing of being shot from every direction by foes who instantly aggro and have super aim as soon as you enter their range. I much prefer fighting the monsters for that reason alone.

Though at least as far as the dead open world, it's significantly more colorful and attractive to look at this time around. But NPCs are worthless and don't come close to feeling or acting like people and the city never feels like a real location. At a point it gets tiring traveling around the game world because it loses any interest it had pretty quickly. It's not a city, it's just a makeshift platforming playground, and it feels as such in both games.

A lot of people hate the fact that Alpha Bolt now takes up energy but I actually think that's one of the best moves they made, and great for balance. In the first it got silly since you could literally recharge anything continuously with Alpha Shot and essentially have unlimited energy from a single outlet. This time around you can still sort of do that but you need to manage your energy much more carefully since you can't use Alpha Shot if you're completely sapped, so it's a bit less ripe for abuse. What this change ultimately does is force you to move around more effectively, which I think is a good thing.

Core gameplay, parkour and such, remains fun. Melee combat is improved quite a bit. And I'm generally a sucker (punch) for open world games so I have good fun with it regardless of the issues. The parkour in fact seems crisper and a bit more responsive, and Cole himself tends to move and run faster than in the first game. I just wish they could have worked on some of the game's other, more glaring issues.

Chris_C

Sweet, fancy MOSES! This game is kinda awesome! I just got to
Flood Town
and I have to say that the traversal abilities truly make this game special. I just love being able to mix up your powers and the fact that if you play good, you really have to be careful about using them if you want to keep collateral damage to a minimum.

There are a few annoyances (a lot of stuff is still too sticky) and Cole seems to go down mighty quick, but that just reminds you that you can't go into the midst of a firefight and expect to survive.

I'm also enjoying the story so far, and I have to say that I found the part where
Kuo comes to grips with her new powers
particularly touching. I also can't believe how much insane action the game seems to be able to handle without the framerate going to hell. I tried a UGC mission called "Cole, God of Thunder", which easily had two dozen or more militia absolutely going nuts in the street below, all the while I tossed cars, used iconic powers and just went nuts and the game never even stuttered. Amazing stuff.

EDIT: As an aside, I really wish this game had co-op.

Zeliard

I think one thing Sucker Punch should have considered is "do we really want our God of Thunder superhero to be ducking behind cover and playing stop-n-pop because men with garbage bags on their heads are shooting at him?" And if they did ask themselves that, which they probably did, the answer should have been a resounding "no."

This isn't like Batman Arkham Asylum where Batman is similarly very fragile to bullets, but has a number of ways to incapacitate enemies without them ever even seeing him. Cole just gets his ass shot up continuously and it's apparently just how he operates. Like a tank character without the durability.

Amir0x

Banned
Beat the game. By the end, I have to say, it started devolving. The variety in the final industrial area is truly abysmal at least for the good side. Every mission just involves some variant of Ice Titan mixed with a few of the same ice goons, even the main ones.

Overall I'd say the game ends up a little better than the first game, particularly thanks to the new graphics engine and new traveling abilities (next time: leash should be unlocked already and you should be able to use it in conjunction with ice jump and static hover. None of that choose between ice jump/tether bs), but still needs some real work to be a classic franchise.

Also goddamn it videogames FUCK your dynamic cameras already. They blow for gameplay and serve just to make everything sloppy and difficult to follow. I don't need the camera going haywire everytime I get hit with a rocket... fuck

Zeliard

I still have a good chunk to go through but it's frustrating to see that again, apparently, some of the best powers you get don't come until late in the game. It would be nice to see Sucker Punch not do some Metroid'ish power reset thing and have you actually keep every major neutral power for Infamous 3, balance enemies around that and then build from there.

Zabka

TTP said:

I went through the same thing. I played a bit of Infamous 1 after my first playthrough and I was wondering where the balls went in this game.

Now I'm on an evil/hard playthrough because I hoped the challenge would make the game more fun, but these powers are just boring. I guess they were going for a different bolt/grenade/rocket for every situation, but it's redundant design. The original bolt/grenade/rocket setup pretty much covered every situation already, so breaking out the upgrades from that game into separate powers seems unnecessary.

Plus the camera is much worse. And I don't get why they changed the original bolt attack into a pea shooter. Seems to be a common thing in sequels these days though, fixing what isn't broken.

Zeliard

Zabka said:
And I don't get why they changed the original bolt attack into a pea shooter. Seems to be a common thing in sequels these days though, fixing what isn't broken.

Undoubtedly done for balance issues.

I don't really mind changes like Alpha Bolt now taking power, or it being nerfed in damage, or the grenades being nerfed, because it was too easy to abuse these things in the first game. The grenades in particular after you got the evil upgrade where they split into 7 just became too easy to spam and wipe everything out. Now grenades are much weaker which means they aren't useful as much for doing damage as they are for temporarily knocking enemies to the ground or off roofs.

Zabka

Zeliard said:
Undoubtedly done for balance issues.

I don't really mind changes like Alpha Bolt now taking power, or it being nerfed in damage, or the grenades being nerfed, because it was too easy to abuse these things in the first game. The grenades in particular after you got the evil upgrade where they split into 7 just became too easy to spam and wipe everything out. Now grenades are much weaker which means they aren't useful as much for doing damage as they are for temporarily knocking enemies to the ground or off roofs.
That's the thing though. The first game was all about making Cole more and more powerful, and not once during it did I think "Oh this is just too much destruction for one man!" Then it ends with you learning about the Beast and oh shit, Cole's gotta get even more powerful to take him on! Plus
you discover Kessler is a future version of Cole and even he wasn't powerful enough to beat the Beast with the different abilities he has.
The only thing I felt the game missing was a super jump, which I2 introduced for one side at least.

Then the second game starts you're already missing a bunch of abilities, plus your main bolt is now just a dumb rocket. The Beast kicks your ass, you lose most of your abilities and then you start the quest to become more powerful...again. By the end of the game on the good side
you're about as powerful as you are at the beginning of I2 plus you get the Lightning Storm attack from the first game.

There is just a huge disconnect between the story and the gameplay. It's strange for a superhero/character action game to just ignore that link. Then again this was the team that flat out replaced their main character in earlier versions.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
Fun game, though shares a lot of the same poor elements as the first. Lame binary "moral" choices which are generally at their polar extremes and pointless to consider (though this doesn't stop people from going to comical lengths to try and defend it), dead open world, robotic NPCs, enemies that make you want to rip your hair out.

Are you talking about your hard play through here, or just the game in general?

I think that the difficulty is one of the issues that SP nailed in comparison to the first game - although I can only speak for the normal difficulty. I never encountered any of the sniper spam or scary-accurate rocket fire from the first game with Infamous 2, which made for a MUCH less frustrating experience.

The city comments I agree with - although for what it's worth, I think that this applies to pretty much every open world game and might be why I generally dislike these kinds of game.

One thing that does feel downgraded in that aspect is the collateral damage thing. Although the civilians never seemed to do much in the first infamous, you were at least wary of their presence when you were playing as a good guy. Or at least that's how I remember it.

In the sequel though, civilian casualties don't really seem to matter. I was chucking grenades and cars around pretty carefree but still ended up with a maxed out blue meter.

Anyways, I just finished the game and I really enjoyed it. Side missions and post game content rarely appeal to me, but I'll be going back to play some more of this because that core game is so fun.

One thing that really let the game down IMO is the story. Like the first game, I had no idea what the he'll was going on for the most part, and I didn't really care either. Listening to Greg and Colin talk about infamous in Podcast Beyond makes me think that I'm missing something but... I don't get it.

None of the charatcters are particularly interesting - not even the bad guys. For a superhero game that's inspired by comic books, the game is really lacking a main villain to give the narrative a clear sense of direction. It seemed to me like there were three or so story lines running simultaneously but none of them really had anything to drive them.

I dont really mind that Cole is so boring, but I hope that we at least get a somewhat memorable supervillian if Infamous 3 ever roles around.

Finished the game. I really enjoyed it. The character movement is definitely the game's strong point but they never provide the player with any platforming challenges. Buildings are more or less tedious obstacles to climb up (you just mash X to get up them), wish they were a bit harder to climb. And if they didn't intend on traversal being challenging, they should of given players the jump and tether earlier and let them both be mapped to a controller at once.

Zeliard

Zabka said:
That's the thing though. The first game was all about making Cole more and more powerful, and not once during it did I think "Oh this is just too much destruction for one man!" Then it ends with you learning about the Beast and oh shit, Cole's gotta get even more powerful to take him on! Plus
you discover Kessler is a future version of Cole and even he wasn't powerful enough to beat the Beast with the different abilities he has.
The only thing I felt the game missing was a super jump, which I2 introduced for one side at least.

Then the second game starts you're already missing a bunch of abilities, plus your main bolt is now just a dumb rocket. The Beast kicks your ass, you lose most of your abilities and then you start the quest to become more powerful...again. By the end of the game on the good side
you're about as powerful as you are at the beginning of I2 plus you get the Lightning Storm attack from the first game.

There is just a huge disconnect between the story and the gameplay. It's strange for a superhero/character action game to just ignore that link. Then again this was the team that flat out replaced their main character in earlier versions.

I completely agree with you about the silliness of losing your powers and having to regain them and whatnot, but I was just speaking specifically about Alpha Bolt and the grenades. Those two in particular were probably the typical player's two most-used abilities in Infamous, and they were so powerful and effective you never really had to use anything else.

I think the changes they made respective to those two encourage you to use the other powers more, and to move around the environment a bit more. It makes Cole feel a bit weaker but I think that could have been fixed by giving him some of the other Infamous 1 powers off the bat instead of de-powering him.

But the point about you feeling less powerful and not gaining great powers until too late, and issues like that, I totally agree with and it's an unfortunate aspect of the game. Infamous 3 can't start off with the whole Metroid de-power thing; not only is it just cliche at this point, but it's annoying from a gameplay standpoint, makes it less cohesive with the previous game, and always requires some stupid storyline reasoning behind it.

HunkyDory said:
Are you talking about your hard play through here, or just the game in general?

I think that the difficulty is one of the issues that SP nailed in comparison to the first game - although I can only speak for the normal difficulty. I never encountered any of the sniper spam or scary-accurate rocket fire from the first game with Infamous 2, which made for a MUCH less frustrating experience.

Well since I've only played Infamous 1 and 2 on Hard I don't know really know what the Normal difficulty is like, and I've still been encountering exactly that stuff. Due to the free PSN promotion I had very recently downloaded and played through much of Infamous 1 again so I recall exactly how it was there, and it's the same in 2.

I just don't think those enemies are designed well. I much prefer fighting the guys like the Reapers and Ravagers because at least they don't just sit there sniping at you from a crazy distance with a pistol or RPG, but actually move around the environment and attempt to engage you in other ways.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Just finished the good ending and man this game is awesome. Leaps and bounds over infamous 1 Sucker Punch really did great with this game. I love the cut scenes better than the ones in infamous one. The Zeke and Cole cut scene with the movie and beer, classic. Not many games would do that.

edit: the final dead drop, whoa.

FLEABttn

Banned
I just beat I2 today and I'm really kind of sour towards the whole experience. It just seems like for every improvement they made over Infamous 1, there was regression made elsewhere. Improved graphics, worse story. Improved close quarters combat, worse platforming. The story grew tiring and somewhat disjointed at the 30% to 50% mark, I thought Nix as a character was handled haphazardly, and (spoiler following about the last hour two of the game)
the ridiculous diabolus ex machina clusterfuck ending that is 1) John being the Beast, 2) the Beast's purpose in curing conduits of the plague, 3) that the RFI kills conduits, 4) that Kuo and Nix essentially switch positions at the end, and 5) that Zeke expects Cole to be selfless despite the shit Zeke did in the first game but tries to kill Cole if Cole wants to live. And that I'm stuck choosing the ending where I die because I wanted to be the hero but not a martyr and the only way to fix that is to dick punch 10,000 people to swing my karma to evil.

In short, I feel as if Infamous 2 was wholly unnecessary.

AppleBlade

Finished the game, here are my thoughts:

Graphics (A-) - Very nice! I liked the ample detail and color. The game made me pause at times to just admire the view. A couple of muddy textures here and there. Some of the more "epic" scenes were pretty breathtaking.

Music & Sound (B) - Above Average. I normally don't pay much attention to music in games. I did notice the music at a few points in the game for being particularly good. I also liked the music the ending credits rolled to. Sound effects were solid, I loved the sound of the dead drop birds plopping against the ground.

Gameplay (B-) Those ice guys were annoying to the point that they were not fun to play against. In general, combat was fun, and you had enough abilities at your disposal that there were always multiple ways to attack any situation. Traversing the city was fun and quick. The actual climbing and jumping was not as good as Assassin's Creed mechanics but it was leagues better than Saboteur which I played recently.

Value (A) - The campaign was long, and though I won't play it a second time I imagine most people will. The platinum feels attainable. I only just briefly explored the whole UGC experience, but it definitely looks like it'll provide a few hours of fun. I got this game from gamefly so I'll probably just send it back but if I had purchased this game I would definitely give it a shot.

Overall, it was a very good game. Not quite on par with the top tier experiences of this gen (i.e. Uncharted 2, Batman, Bioshock) but it was one level below.

obonicus

I liked the game, I just wish there were more than 4 bosses. At least the first three drop fast once you get the later powers. The titan was just boring to fight, especially the 7th time he pops up.

As to the ending
I think it the Beast switcheroo made sense if you consider Infamous's universe/ovearching plotline is 100% comic-book stupid.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished it for the second time last night on evil, hard mode. The evil ending felt like ten times as satisfying as the good one, the finale was also a lot better.

That being said, I'm surprised at how little Sucker Punch added to the formula. They made it prettier yes, but there were little to no actual gameplay-improvements. I was sure that after I1 they'd do away with the lame binary good/evil structure, but they changed nothing there. Now I'm supposed to pick sides between two equally terrible characters. On that subject, the interaction between Nix and Kuo was laughable. 'I've known you for 5 minutes and..' Every scene with the entire 'team' together was cringeworthy. I much preferred I1, when there was only Zeke to be annoyed about.

About the Beast,
maybe it was because I finished I1 when it came out, but I completely forgot who John was. I had to read up on wikipedia. They maybe should've included him in the recap vid in the beginning somehow. 'John, you're alive!' Who?

Also disappointed about the powers. I expected them to give that a lot of thought and come up with a set that builded on the foundations of 1, but boy they didn't go overboard there. There's the ice jump. I liked that.

On the combat angle, as is stated numerous times : the camera, in combination with the screen going black/white, can be a real annoyance. When you find a power source, it's mostly a relief that your vision is clear again and not that you have your health back.

Also surprised they removed much of the traversal of I1. I was disappointed they didn't give you a huge building to climb this time around. I liked the bayou and flood town sections because there you had a good mix of combat/platforming there, wasn't enough of that in the majority of the game.

What Infamous still does really well is side missions. They're most ofen fun and varied enough that you want to do them all.

All in all this was just 'more Infamous', only with little to no improvements and even some additions/changes that made me like it less in comparison to the first game. Really disappointed since I liked I1 so much, but also saw some room for improvement. This sequel didn't bank in on that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think I'm nearly done. I liked it, but I felt like there was too much combat. There's nowhere near enough "platforming."

The graphics are, looking back, really very impressive.

I mean, I1 was good enough that a "bigger badder" sequel is okay...but if they do another one, they should mix it up.

Zeliard

Creamium said:
On the combat angle, as is stated numerous times : the camera, in combination with the screen going black/white, can be a real annoyance. When you find a power source, it's mostly a relief that your vision is clear again and not that you have your health back.

Devs really need to cut this shit out, the red jelly/black-and-white/whatever that obfuscates what the player can see the further he's being damaged. Yeah, it's a good idea to excessively decrease visibility when the player is on the verge of dying. It makes you feel like you're actually dying!!@!! No, it doesn't. It's just annoying.

Just stop it. It's such a terrible mechanic. It's even worse in an open-world game like Infamous because it makes it harder to tell from which direction and from what distance you're being shot.

Top Bottom