• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Fuzzy said:
No data yet. We'll see if it shows up in the NPD thread next week.

Really hope it does well. This franchise totally deserves it. Definitely one of my fav new IPs this gen. I most definitely am hoping for an Infamous 3 or possibly Infamous game for the Vita?

I'm curious, has anyone here been making UGC levels?
I'm still doing my 2nd playthrough on Evil and I'm not going to turn on the UGC until i'm finished with it, but i'm eager to see what the community for this game is like.

Grinchy

Banned
plasticpassion said:
I kind of thought he was sexy. Just sayin
Maybe, but I don't think many dudebros want to play a game as a metrosexual. While the world was burning to the ground, your mission would be about staying out of the wind so your hair wouldn't get messy.

Mergesort

HawksWinStanley said:
Well I'll definitely be picking up inFamous 2 now.

Does your karma/decisions carry over to the second game? I played through the first game as a good guy and I think I want to try playing through the second game as a bastard.
I haven't noticed anything :s
Finished the first game more than 3 times...

mns-dna said:
I haven't noticed anything :s
Finished the first game more than 3 times...

Little stuff does. Your initial electricity gauge or w/e you want to call it is boosted and then dead drops and stuff like that conform to the file you load. If you were bad they talk about how you're ruthless and such.

Is it just me or does every conduit have cooler powers then Cole?

The electric conduits frOm the first along with nix can teleport and kuo and
the healed conduit
can both fly.

cackhyena

HYDE said:
I think that there is more mission variety= a plus in my book, but the bosses for me are suckier and not as plentiful= a minus in my book. I miss the sewers in the second, and I think I wouldn't have if they would have fleshed out the swamp areas better and made them darker like the concept art suggested.
Ew no.

btkadams

i just unlocked the second area and am loving it. does the game teeter off a bit like the first one? or if i love it now will i love it until the epic end? i'm just extremely stoked on it.

Mergesort

btkadams said:
i just unlocked the second area and am loving it. does the game teeter off a bit like the first one? or if i love it now will i love it until the epic end? i'm just extremely stoked on it.
Imo yes.

UNCyrus

HawksWinStanley said:
Well I'll definitely be picking up inFamous 2 now.

Does your karma/decisions carry over to the second game? I played through the first game as a good guy and I think I want to try playing through the second game as a bastard.

I noticed references to whether or not you tried to save Trish in the first game. But that's about it...

Mergesort

btkadams said:
yes to which part haha
What i mean is that you will still like it :)
I like the water in that area, helps alot! Just be careful not to get yourself killed in the water.
Edit: Also it was much easier finding shards in that area! Got most of them without looking on the radar.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
btkadams said:
The game gets way better in the second and third areas.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I just did the mission with the blast shard bomber, but I can't pick up the shard from his bomb after I've defeated him. Is it possible at all to get the shard?

Mergesort

Combichristoffersen said:
I just did the mission with the blast shard bomber, but I can't pick up the shard from his bomb after I've defeated him. Is it possible at all to get the shard?
Happened to me too, couldn't get it :/

-Winnie-

Combichristoffersen said:

I couldn't either, but it doesn't seem to count towards the blast shard trophy thankfully.

Massa

corkscrewblow said:
So I just downloaded this from a friend's PSN. Anyone know if it's shareable or have that 24 hour lock bs on it? If so, I'll just wait till he's completely done with it.

I don't know, but if you play offline and it doesn't ask for authentication then there's no lock out.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Hazelhurst said:
The Ice Launch combined with the thrusters is bliss. Ice Launch is seriously the best new power of Infamous 2.

This 1000x.

I can not get over how much love i have for ice launch. Platinum both 1 and 2.

Amory

Ice launch really is a great new power. Getting anywhere on the map, regardless of height, is easy and fun as hell now. This game is a serious GOTY contender for me after Cole gets all his powers back and you start to feel invincible like at the end of the first game. Beginning is a little slow for my liking though.

Question, I'm guessing the blast shards you collect by diffusing bombs and the ones you're sometimes given in main story missions don't count toward getting all of them, correct? Only the ones scattered around the map count?

Amory Blaine said:
Ice launch really is a great new power. Getting anywhere on the map, regardless of height, is easy and fun as hell now. This game is a serious GOTY contender for me after Cole gets all his powers back and you start to feel invincible like at the end of the first game. Beginning is a little slow for my liking though.

Question, I'm guessing the blast shards you collect by diffusing bombs and the ones you're sometimes given in main story missions don't count toward getting all of them, correct? Only the ones scattered around the map count?

They help you reach your max faster but they do NOT count towards the trophy.

Good news, the last power gained from side missions helps you find them.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Ice launch is great, but I think I'd put lightning tether just abocve it. Too bad you don't get lightning tether until you're almost at the end of the game.

I've only got the final mission left, and overall I've enjoyed the game, but I've experienced more bugs in I2 than in I1, and holy fuck is the camera in I2 completely fucking broken at times. Absolutely terribad. Also, I don't like how they took away like 95% of Zeke's personality and made him yet another boring, generic character in this game. And fuck the ice titans. And the crushers. And the devourers. And the ravagers. The graphics and combat are definitely superior to I1 though.

Dyno

Location spoilers:

While I was playing through Floodtown I was getting pretty sad. It's a great place to play but it also looked horrible. Like New Orleans it looks like it would be really tough trying to get by in a place like that, a place so damaged and lost.

But then oh man when I opened up the Gasworks - that place is great with all the big crazy things to climb. I like how the community surrounding the gas plant is built big and strong. It's done right for the workers at the plant. Plus that building that is filled with ice and is home to the ice gang looked pretty crazy. It made my jaw drop.

When it comes to open cities, Infamous destroys all competition. Everything has so much character and detail, plus things are laid out in a way that makes sense.

Amory

Seriously fuck Titans. Such a tedious goddamn enemy and they use far too many of them in side missions. Feels like I'm fighting one every 5 minutes.

newsguy

The Xtortionist said:
It was one hell of an appealing character design though

infamous-2-cole.jpg

What a boss.
WilliamLevy.jpg

So Cole was originally William Levy...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hungry Ghost said:
Is it just me or does every conduit have cooler powers then Cole?

The electric conduits frOm the first along with nix can teleport and kuo and
the healed conduit
can both fly.

I agree. Cole really needs some eclectic zero shift ZOE2 teleporting.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Tricky I Shadow said:
Oh absolutely! They had better make the evil ending the official one!

But why? It goes against the entirety of why Kessler even got involved with Cole.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Infinite Justice said:
Yep that was always the problem. Nothing is wrong with some changes but they went too far.
Am I the only one that doesn't care about continuity and immersion? I just want someone that doesn't look all like a cactus. Final Cole's hair is so weird.

Lingitiz

Y2Kev said:
Am I the only one that doesn't care about continuity and immersion? I just want someone that doesn't look all like a cactus. Final Cole's hair is so weird.
I really didn't care if they changed him at all. I was surprised that so many people were attached to the original Cole when that game had really bad cutscenes and facial animation. That said, I thought they found a solid middle ground for the new design though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Allonym said:
But why? It goes against the entirety of why Kessler even got involved with Cole.

Feel the same way, the good ending should be the official one.

Lingitiz said:
I really didn't care if they changed him at all. I was surprised that so many people were attached to the original Cole when that game had really bad cutscenes and facial animation. That said, I thought they found a solid middle ground for the new design though.

I think Cole's change in appearance felt more inconsistent with the first game than people liking Cole's original look. It would be weird if Nathan Drake shaved his head for Uncharted 3 after people are used to his appearance in the first and second uncharted games.

Lingitiz

neojubei said:
Feel the same way, the good ending should be the official one.

I think Cole's change in appearance felt more inconsistent with the first game than people liking Cole's original look. It would be weird if Nathan Drake shaved his head for Uncharted 3 after people are used to his appearance in the first and second uncharted games.
Yeah I'm all for consistency but its not the same thing as Uncharted where Drake is such a loved character by everyone. Cole was kinda dark and moody and again, the faces were so bad that I don't even really remember what it looked like. It would be more consistent though if they kept the same voice actor, but the new guy did a solid job.

Massa

My thoughts on inFamous 2:

+ I liked the story better than the first game, loved the ending.
+ Some of the characters are really well done (Cole, Zeke, Kuo), but Sucker Punch: the comic-book-evil-guy doesn't translate well to a voiced and animated character in a video game.
+ The new traversal powers are awesome to use without feeling like "auto-pilot" that plagues other super hero open world games. Flood town was brilliant.
+ The new combat powers are awesome but the game doesn't feel too easy. The enemy variety is vastly improved (not just dudes with guns), fighting the
ice guys with super powers
was very fun. Fighting the
ice
dudes that took forever to take down was not fun though, and getting knocked down is never fun.
+ The graphics are unbelievably good. Remarkable step up from the original.

- UGC feels like a waste of time. It basically takes the worst part of LBP community levels (their level design) and not the best (the cutesy stuff). People are horrible game designers.
- The side missions lack any background or story whatsoever. Having a random dude say something random ("the enemies are fighting over there, go get them" , "the bad guys stole my medical supplies, etc") is not an interesting way to start a mission. Since inFamous is inspired by comic books I was hoping the side missions would feel more like smaller stories inside New Marais. Instead of doing 4 random missions for 4 different doctors in an island (to unlock the clinics), why not have a character give you three different missions that form a small nice little story with a beginning, middle and end? A character that has a name and a back story and interacts with you.
- Getting knocked down in combat is never fun.

All in all I loved the game. The original was my goty 2009 and I liked this one even more. Gonna start my evil/hard run now, can't wait to cause some serious damage not minding who dies in my way.

Game Analyst said:
You think Infamous 1 is better than Uncharted 2 for the year of 2009?

Personally I enjoyed I1 more than U2, but I recognized the greater production value and polish of U2. If you prefer open world to tps then it really is no contest. I think in terms of gameplay they are equal.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Hero edition is $60 at gamestop. Is it worth it?

The game was worth $60. People seem pretty happy with the bag, and the DLC does add some gameplay variety. If you would be willing to pay close to retail for just the game $60 is probably worth it.

gdt

Almost done with the game, just gotta activate the RFI. Trying to get the last two side missions to activate, but finding baddies to beat to activate them sucks.

And I'm missing only 3 dead drops...FFFFUUUUUUUUUUU.

Overall, love the game. Probably a 9. Bigger, badder, etc etc. Great characters too.

In the end, this game was pretty fun, but I feel like there were some tweaks ostensibly for 'balance' that made it less fun (removal of the damage-reduction ability, no absorption while grinding, your regular pea shooter and stuff like the Ice Jump consuming power). And I thought it was weird (as I've articulated a few times) that there were other power upgrades that we seemingly lost out on. For example, there was no longer a set of upgrades associated with the good and evil missions. No more Karmic Overload meant that there was little incentive to manage Karma once you (very quickly) maxed it out. And no more total upgrades to a power (like the way the first game worked), which essentially discouraged experimentation because you'd know it was always more sensible just to save your XP for the next level of powers (unless you use the Mission Create glitch to buy them for free, of course).

If there's an inFamous 3, I certainly don't mind the power-buying system that inFamous 2 had; but I'd like it if each set of powers also had a set of Guardian/Champion/Hero and Thug/Outlaw/Infamous permanent upgrades associated with them which would apply to every power of that set. Stuff like increasing blast radius vs. increasing damage, or knockdown time, or automatically restraining enemies, or making enemies float when hit, or electrifying people/objects that are hit, instead of restricting these things to very specific single abilities. I think that'd be a nice middle ground between the greater power variety that Sucker Punch tried to provide in I2 and the sense of real progression and increasing power that we saw in I1.

badcrumble said:
In the end, this game was pretty fun, but I feel like there were some tweaks ostensibly for 'balance' that made it less fun (removal of the damage-reduction ability, no absorption while grinding, your regular pea shooter and stuff like the Ice Jump consuming power). And I thought it was weird (as I've articulated a few times) that there were other power upgrades that we seemingly lost out on. For example, there was no longer a set of upgrades associated with the good and evil missions. No more Karmic Overload meant that there was little incentive to manage Karma once you (very quickly) maxed it out. And no more total upgrades to a power (like the way the first game worked), which essentially discouraged experimentation because you'd know it was always more sensible just to save your XP for the next level of powers (unless you use the Mission Create glitch to buy them for free, of course).

If there's an inFamous 3, I certainly don't mind the power-buying system that inFamous 2 had; but I'd like it if each set of powers also had a set of Guardian/Champion/Hero and Thug/Outlaw/Infamous permanent upgrades associated with them which would apply to every power of that set. Stuff like increasing blast radius vs. increasing damage, or knockdown time, or automatically restraining enemies, or making enemies float when hit, or electrifying people/objects that are hit, instead of restricting these things to very specific single abilities. I think that'd be a nice middle ground between the greater power variety that Sucker Punch tried to provide in I2 and the sense of real progression and increasing power that we saw in I1.
Great post, I agree.

The lack of absorption while grinding really threw me off, I always felt like it should be happening but it never did. Now I know why it was always on my mind (I was subconsciously thinking of my time with the first InFamous).

One thing I thought Sucker Punch really nailed in the first game was the balance between Cole's powers and the enemies', and the way you had to stay on your toes and use the city's geometry to your advantage, and I feel like they lost it towards the end of inFamous 2.

You never became really powerful in the first game, not in the sense that you could go and Rambo into a den of bad guys with much luck, but if you were mindful of your surroundings and picked the best area to fight from you could always do pretty well for yourself. Some of the later missions were really brilliant, and I think it was the second-last one in particular that threw a practical army at you but space them out on various rooftops in such a way that you were pretty much a match for them by your lonesome. It's hard to describe, but I feel the balance was a lot better in the first game.

There were moments in inFamous 2 when I thought I was playing the best thing ever, and it never got stale because the way you play that game changes significantly with pretty much ever new power you get. I was amazed at how the gameplay opened up when I got the Ice Launch, and the first big bossfight was absolutely brilliant in a way that inFamous 1 could never have offered. And then when you get to Flood City things get even better because all of a sudden you need to start getting a whole lot more precise with your platforming because there's water everywhere. But then you realise you can even use that to your advantage, though, because blasting dudes off rooftops into water and shocking them is an easy one-hit-kill. Only stay frosty, son, because these effers can jump, too. I just adored the middle of inFamous 2.

But I feel like it just goes downhill really significantly when you unlock the final part of New Marais. It feels like every enemy gets a huge bump-up in health with every passing mission, so before long even the most basic enemies need five second long bursts to the face before they even slow down, and you can just wail on bigger enemies for minutes at a time. Ice Titans are the worst thing in the whole game because they barely even fight back. The one on the bow of the cargo ship just stood in place while I emptied my electricity stores into his face and then ran off to recharge over and over again. I love the huge battles in inFamous where you fight a dozen different enemy-types at once and each neeeds to be dealt with differently, but by the end of the game I just groaned every time the game threw another forty enemies at me because it just took so long.

It got to the point where, despite your amazing new powers, you actually feel less dangerous at the end of the game than you are at the start because enemies simply have more health. And rooftop-to-rooftop battles are pretty much gone in favour of bland one-level fights in warehouses and city streets. You can still find higher ground, but when all you're doing is firing dozens of rockets into the same Titan it's easier to get in close because they travel so slowly; it's not like he's going to do anything about it.

I was planning to start an evil playthrough right after I finished, but by the end of inFamous 2 I was just done. I hated the way the story ended, too, but that's neither here nor there :p

Top Bottom