• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

GD71

Banned
Touchpad up then Hold + R2 is complex?! Is this your first time with a videogame?

And that's not really a spoiler if you're saying that's all the game is, when it clearly isn't and you're only at the first DUP encounter.

I know its not a spoiler. I spoilered it in humour.

Their use of the touch pad is unnecessary. Cumbersome would have been a better choice than complex. It took me a couple of deaths to get the up and hold correct. In the midst of a fire fight on the toughest difficulty I didn't initially grasp that slide up plus hold meant slide up and click rather than slide up and hold thumb in position. Followed by r2 spamming rather than an R2 press.

A simple and traditional tap x then stomp the sq melee button would have had the same affect.

The ds4 is littered with buttons. The touch pad being the one farthest from you fingers.

The use here is not as bad as thief where they force you to use it to select inventory items by sliding a finger around the pad to move a cursor. It's more cumbersome than the traditional dpad method. Unnecessarily so.

If Sucker Punch could only improve their secondary content, they would be legendary. It's cool that each district has all this extra stuff to do, but there is 0 substantial secondary missions whatsoever, which is disappointing for an open world game imo.

I agree. It would be nice if the sidequests had their own storyline and characters that weren't essential for the main storyline. Or even just use the main characters in their own sidequests - who wouldn't want to go on fetch quests with Fetch?

Mengetsu

Just got to the Chinatown area and my god the game is great! My only complaint is the sound in the game. I have my gold wireless Sony headphones with the SS settings downloaded to them and have the option in the game set to Gold Wireless but it sounds just so low...I popped battlefield 4 in to make sure the headphones didn't mess up but nope the sounds were so loud and crisp. I'm sad as to why it SS doesn't sound this way. Anyone else having this problem?

calder

Played about 4 hours tonight, loved it. Coming in as a big fan of inFamous 1 and 2 I more or less expected to, but it's nice to see that (so far) they seem to have refined a lot of stuff from the first games while improving the stuff that already worked well.

And the visuals, sweet baby jebus. It's a very rare game that makes my wife stop while walking by and say "wow, this looks a lot better than the old games". She was especially impressed with the lighting and colours, and then later the rain effects. Just a fantastic looking environment.

Nafai1123

Banned
Played for quite a few hours tonight. This fucking game is so pretty.

I'm very happy I still don't know what the remaining powers are, but there seem to be hints all over the world. It's fun wondering until the inevitable reveal.

Controls are great, shooting definitely has a punch to it, especially when you hit enemies. Traversal feels really good too and I love how there's persistence to the DUP damage you cause. Overall it's really delivering so far.

Dead

well not really...yet
I agree. It would be nice if the sidequests had their own storyline and characters that weren't essential for the main storyline. Or even just use the main characters in their own sidequests - who wouldn't want to go on fetch quests with Fetch?
People will hate me for this, but they need to follow Ubi-Softs example with Assassin's Creed. Those games have sidequests with side stories, side characters, and give you rewards like additional weapons/costumes/additional story.

That's the sort of stuff I want to see. It seems like Paper Trail may actually be the answer to this, but I guess we'll see.

GD71

Banned
If Sucker Punch could only improve their secondary content, they would be legendary. It's cool that each district has all this extra stuff to do, but there is 0 substantial secondary missions whatsoever, which is disappointing for an open world game imo.

Aside from that, its an easy 9/10

Eurogamer posted that there's regular updates coming to add significant side content.

There's an inFamous Second Son day-one patch available that adds a considerable amount of content: five hours of gameplay across 19 side-story missions.

Those missions form a Paper Trail story arc, which sounds like it's part Alternate Reality Game (ARG). It links with the game's Enjoy Your Power website.

Apparently there will be new content every week for six weeks, and it will flesh out the backstory of the game.

In addition, the 300MB update adds the pre-order Cole's Legacy Content Pack, and fixes and tweaks this and that.

One of the things that they couldn't do if they wanted to include the space needle was allow players to jump off of it. I guess that's why you can't climb it, and why you're automagically transported to the bottom after the mission.

Source : podcast beyond

Why though? What's so difficult about it? I wants to climb the needle :(

I feel like you'd be able to with the unlimited neon run you get for having good karma...

I tried with every power for like 10 minutes even though I could clearly tell I was hitting a invisible wall that stopped your powers from working :(

ButchCassidy386

Neo Member
I played for about 6 hours today and am already 40% through. I've still got two districts in the north island to completet. I still haven't got an my neon powers.

Really hoping I don't have it beat by Monday. The game is absolutely amazing.

Chabbles

Im really enjoying this game, around 45% complete as of now. Its been awhile since i put on a game and played 4 hours without a break and it only felt like 2.
The visuals are pretty good, but can definitely see the limitations of the hardware, or it could be in part due to the game being made in 2 years, from certain angles though it can look stunning.

I dont like the layer of static(ness) to the game when you dont make footprints in sand or puddles, and headlights on cars dont cast any shadows, and whats with that ugly ass mountain on the horizon ?, it looks like something out of a PS2 era game. Pretty easy to look past that though, My biggest complaint are the swarms of enemies with weapons and eagle eye vision, many unnecessary deaths suck the fun out of the gameplay. at times, all skill leaves the equation and its total bullet rape from enemy ai from every angle, no defense but flee, but some times you dont make it.. it would be cool if there were some armor or heath tree upgrades or something to make the deaths less seldom as you progress.

crazyprac

OK this weird. I redeemed my code for Coles jacket and mission but I don't see it in my char clothing select. I got the other preorder jackets though...

MavFan619

Banned
I am about to head back in after taking a break at the bar. The whole time all I can think while attempting to be social was Infamous.

My biggest complaint are the swarms of enemies with weapons and eagle eye vision, many unnecessary deaths suck the fun out of the gameplay. at times, all skill leaves the equation and its total bullet rape from enemy ai from every angle, no defense but flee, but some times you dont make it.. it would be cool if there were some armor or heath tree upgrades or something to make the deaths less seldom as you progress.

Every power has a traversal ability that should allow you to escape such a scene. Smoke is hard to run away with though as it's slow

TentPole

Why though? What's so difficult about it? I wants to climb the needle :(

I tried with every power for like 10 minutes even though I could clearly tell I was hitting a invisible wall that stopped your powers from working :(

It sounds like it was a regulation that they had to agree to to get the rights to include it in the game. Somebody is probably very nervous about anything that could be seen to be encouraging suicidal behavior in regards to the games depiction of the Space Needle.

OK this weird. I redeemed my code for Coles jacket and mission but I don't see it in my char clothing select. I got the other preorder jackets though...

I think you have to beat the Cole's Legacy content before the jacket unlocks. I have it as well, but I can't figure out how to start the mission.

ChrisW

So what's the deal with this paper trail? I've found
the person with the mask on and chased them around the map, but then it says it can't sync with part1, What do I need to do?

aparisi2274

Has anyone been able to link their game to the inFamous Paper Trail story? I am on the website and it says to look for the PSN logo, but its not there... Just wondering if its me or if everyone has the same issue...

It sounds like it was a regulation that they had to agree to to get the rights to include it in the game. Somebody is probably very nervous about anything that could be seen to be encouraging suicidal behavior in regards to the games depiction of the Space Needle.

Ah ok well if that's the case I guess it makes sense

Some of the buildings in downtown/uptown are fairly tall so it didn't seem like a technical issue

So what's the deal with this paper trail? I've found
the person with the mask on and chased them around the map, but then it says it can't sync with part1, What do I need to do?

Has anyone been able to link their game to the inFamous Paper Trail story? I am on the website and it says to look for the PSN logo, but its not there... Just wondering if its me or if everyone has the same issue...

we cant do anything with it yet..just that first part of the mission

aparisi2274

we cant do anything with it yet..just that first part of the mission

Yeah, but I can not even link the game with the website... I have no options to do so...

According to the site, it says this:

How do I link my PSN account?
Once you have registered with inFAMOUS Paper Trail, go to your profile page and click on the PSN icon to connect your Paper Trail account to your PSN account.

I see no PSN icon to click on...

Also, when I look at my profile page, I still have 2 locked items:

13323788374_23ff2cb512_z.jpg

So I am not sure if the 2nd to last one is one that I should have unlocked already, or if its not open yet for anyone...

Slime

Banned
Played it for a few hours and I'm having a lot of fun.

Shame about the side missions, though. They always seem to be shit in games like this.

Atlas157

I want to buy headphones so I can play this game (and future games too) and I only have a budget of around $100. Sony Pulse Elite or Sony Gold? I mostly care about the quality of the sound.

After 4 hours the combat controls have finally clicked. I can chain all of the attacks and moves and make everything look and feel bad ass. I get it now, sucker punch.the first two games didn't feel (or look) like this. There were elements but this is a more cohesive package.

Edit: they need to add some type of defensive maneuvers or powers like others have mentioned. Im playing in expert and my screen goes gray really quickly.

Paznos

Wow the graphics are amazing, about 90 mins in and got to Seattle! already having such a blast. I swear I've been taking so many screenshots its crazy.

So after one day with Infamous: SS

Completely cleared out two districts with relative ease
Got my ass handed to me by the D.U.P. in the Showdowns
Got to finally see the Orbital Drop (glorious)
Finished Part 1 of Cole's Legacy.

A slow burn I will be indeed going for but I'm sure tomorrow I'll progress even more.

Game of the Year for me as of now.

Played about 5 hours, got the
video powers
. Game is ehh. I like it more than the first two but that's not saying much. Couldn't finish either of those. I just don't think this series is very fun, just annoying fighting enemies more than anything. The traversal isn't as fluid and fun as games like Spiderman and Crackdown either. I don't think it's a bad game by any means, just doesn't really do anything for me sadly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, not sure I'm digging this as much as other people in here are. I was really looking forward to it, too. I played a few hours and the save file says 22%, but it still feels like a tutorial almost.

The game looks fantastic, but unfortunately this makes the parts that don't look so great stick out even more. Also, as someone who lives in Seattle, I was hoping they'd be a tad more faithful. They captured the feel quite well, but other than space needle and a few other monuments, this is totally their own creation. While this is partially an issue of my expectations, the city they created feels really small.

Worst of all, I'm not really enjoying the combat. I remember liking the first Infamous game, but I don't feel particularly powerful in this quite yet. Hopefully that will change as I get more powers, but the smoke ones aren't very exciting thus far. The basic R2 shot feels weak and limited in use.

Maybe I should finish up Dark Souls II before coming back so I can really focus on this. I really wanted to like it, but I'm not feeling the gameplay much at all.

Chabbles

Every power has a traversal ability that should allow you to escape such a scene. Smoke is hard to run away with though as it's slow

For the most part maybe. but i still think they could of toned down the ai accuracy ever so slightly and still keep a good challenge. I dont like getting killed by ai that dont really seem too smart, but just have aim bot accuracy. some deaths feel very cheap due to it imo.

Krammy

I wasn't sure if this should go in the B/S/T thread, but since I'll be giving it away for free, Amazon just sent me a second pre-order jacket code (iam8bit, EXIST, Penny Arcade, JOS). It's for North America, so if you're interested, PM me and I'll send it your way!

Got to play a bit of the game today and I'm loving it so far, it's just what I expected, so I'm looking forward to finding out what the remaining two powers are.

EDIT: Codes gone now!

Yeah, but I can not even link the game with the website... I have no options to do so...

According to the site, it says this:

I see no PSN icon to click on...

Also, when I look at my profile page, I still have 2 locked items:

13323788374_23ff2cb512_z.jpg

So I am not sure if the 2nd to last one is one that I should have unlocked already, or if its not open yet for anyone...

like i said, we cant do anything yet. There is no linking yet. The next part will become available when we are able to link, whenever sucker punch decides to update the website

I keep mixing up the Smoke Dash button with the Smoke Whip button at the worst possible times in combat. Then again I'm still getting the controls down pact.

Top Bottom