• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Game suffers from the same shitty controls that previous two games did, which makes certain encounters so difficult.
Wow, I don't feel that at all. Delsin has so much more mobility than Cole it isn't funny, and the fact that I can be on the roof of a skyscraper in an instant when things get hairy really helps in combat. I haven't had any issues with the controls; feels spot on imo.

Loving the controls myself. Having no issues dashing around during combat, dashing into melee then out again to safety or using cars / vents to launch myself into the air for more range on my dashes, firing with accuracy throughout and blasting apart towers mid flight. Game is hella fun to move around in.

Typomancer

Neo Member
Alright, I caved in and got Infamous an hour ago. Love how fluid the purchasing and downloading is on the PS4. Never played through the first two games so I don’t really have any expectations other than what I’ve experienced from other superhero games.

It’s all ready. Starting the game now.

MilkBeard

I took a peak in the review thread and I'm glad to see generally favorable reviews. Seems like a good number of people are really digging the game. I haven't played an Infamous game before, so it seems like this is a good place to start. And the fact that it's based in Seattle means that I just HAVE to play it.

Anyway, I decided to wait to pick it up for now because I still have Metal Gear Solid V, Dark Souls II and Final Fantasy X to play right now. Getting the game would mean it would just sit for now anyway. But I'm definitely going to pick it up soon, maybe in a month or a few weeks from now. Even if it is just to see the next gen graphics and Seattle in a video game.

This is definitely going to take me much longer than 10-15 hours. Fortunately, I love just...moving around in the Infamous games. I can see that it's not the longest game (25% complete and I'm close to but haven't acquired the second power) but the series in general has always hit the spot for me. There's something liberating about the fluidity of traversal.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Ok, I played from around 8:30 pm to 12:50AM, and I'm having a blast with this game. I just got the second power (Neon), and it's frigging great. No surprise that as an inFAMOUS fan, I'm in love with the game. It's pretty much everything that I wanted an inFAMOUS game to be, but the hardware wasn't in line with the ambition. It's a tight, straight forward open world game with no fluff.

I love ACIV, but to be honest, I find the amount of things to collect in that game a bit absurd. I love to hunt for Animus shards and treasure chests, and what have you, but there are so frigging many of them that it's almost overwhelming, and feels like a chore. And I love that game!

I like that Second Son isn't as full of that kind of stuff, but I feel like there is still plenty to do to keep me busy. I haven't done a ton of side missions, but I've 100% cleared at least one district, and I'll more than likely 100% clear the rest of them. Moving around the city and getting into combat is simply a lot of fun. It's interesting to me that the game feels like inFAMOUS, and yet there are some fundamental changes to the way the game controls and how powers are mapped to the controller that make it feel very, very different.

The game isn't flawless, but it is, so far, the best of the series. Delsin is incredibly likable, and I think he's a fantastic protagonist. I think Troy Baker's natural charm has managed to seep it's way into Delsin's personality as much as the characterization from Sucker Punch. They've all done a great job bringing him to life, and making him a much more fun and empathetic character compared to Cole. Reggie is a jackass, but he feels human and believable.

The city is fantastic. It's big, very detailed, and just feels alive. I've already taken a shit load of screenshots, but I'm currently sifting through them and pulling the ones I really like before I upload them.

It's easy to get swept up in new game excitement, but ultimately, if you enjoyed the first two inFAMOUS games in any capacity, I would find it hard pressed for you not to enjoy Second Son. It's a bigger, better looking, better controlling, better written inFAMOUS.

What I'm really glad about is that all of the stuff that I saw in the trailers/reveal of the game is from pretty much the very beginning, meaning I have a whole game full of fun and surprises waiting for me when I play again after OT later today. I didn't mean to stay up this late playing, and it's been a long time since I played anything for longer than 2 hours these days, but I just could not put the controller down, and that classic inFAMOUS feeling of "just one more blast shard/upgrade/mission..." took hold of me again, and it felt great.

I'm doing a Good/Normal playthrough, and when I eventually beat it (probably in a few days, as I like taking my time with my games), I'll play an Evil/Hard game. Kudos to Sucker Punch for really delivering on the promise of the inFAMOUS franchise. I'd love for them to make another, and build on this awesome engine they've developed for SS. I'll eventually write a real review of the game, but these are my early impressions.

Gotta say smoke does not feel as useful as the other two powers I have right now. Not nearly as mobile. Neon hasn't been much help for me either as a bad guy, without the slow down it loses it's main advantage. If it was as easy to get out of situations with smoke it would be better but right now I barely use it anymore.

Mik317

Played about 3 hours...still only have one power lol.

Some thoughts

- Combat is ehhh...it seems like you will spend a ton of time running away to either, get health back or get more energy. Doesn't help that the game throws a bullet sponge at you right away. Luckily the movement options are pretty awesome so it isn't mindless combat...also it seems like the best strategy is to get your super move ASAP and use it. I am sure when you have more powers things will open up a bit. It isn't as frustrating as the previous games IMO, if only because you can get in and out of dodge fast.

- Delsin is hit or miss. I like snarky characters. I like Dante's cheesy one liners for example. When Delsin is that..he is cool. When he begins to sound like one of those overbearing activists, he becomes less so.. He's not wrong but it definitely is a bit annoying so far

- Game looks amazing...except why no puddle physics gaaaaiz /nitpick

- It is fun to just move around...which was the case in previous games but Delsin gets a lot of his powers early to make sure that it is fun and you are getting bombed constantly...yet.

Overall, I am enjoying it. It isn't the GOTF or anything but I am looking forward to see where the story goes and the new powers. Its not saying much as I found the previous games to be boring and never had much motivation to play them but this is better than those...take that as you will.

A_Gorilla

Banned
UPS delivered the game at around 3pm and have been playing since then. Game if a lot of fun!

Side note: Anyone able to find that damn secret agent yet on the Queen Anne area yet? I went into another area and stumbled into the mission by accident but I can't find the mission for Queen Anne yet.

Apeopleman

The I just got up to the
drug boat
mission, and so far;

Graphics are beautiful

Game is buttery smooth

Love the characters so far. They have depth.

9/10, would drop 90 USD on American Beanie collector's edition again

If you are reading this Sucker Punch, fantastic job

Man, the travel in this game is really good. With the vents on every rooftop, it's possible to cross most of the city without ever landing Arkham City style. The combat I am not enjoying as much. I felt like Infamous 2 was a bit of a step back from the original in this regard also, but all of the enemies just seem a little too slippery. Just got the second power and I must have chased that chick around that arena for 10 minutes. Or very possibly I am doing something wrong.

Either way, small price to pay for the fluid motion and the pretty.

Nick

I've played about ten hours now. I don't feel this is a particularly good game, but I'm soldering through it. It's damn pretty and that always keeps my attention on average games longer than usual. There really is no variety in this damn title, however. I'm probably 70% completed and I don't remember much other than run + gun + oh look, pretty colors.

Anyone notice the rocker is actually playing the guitar? Finger positions, chords, strumming, etc. is all done just right. Been chilling listening to the guitar riffs for atleast 5 minutes lol.

BjUV82pCAAA-EZW.jpg:orig

Love watching the effects in this game. Next gen I'm gonna love ya!

BjUMfcBCcAAJgmx.jpg:orig

murgo

This game is amazing. Sucker Punch are gods. I can't even imagine what their next game will look like.

Just running around the city and looking at sights and shops is so much fun.

Jesb

That 2nd boss fight really breaks the flow of the game. I enjoyed the game until I got there. I'm not looking forward to that on harder levels.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Good karma 100% clear (all districts, blast shards etc. done) normal run finished. Took me around 15 hours.
I had fun, but some of the things (sidequest variety) are still pretty bad.
All in all it was the best infamous game to day, a really solid super hero open world title with great graphics and fun gameplay.
Not really surprised at those 8/10 reviews though.

That 2nd boss fight really breaks the flow of the game. I enjoyed the game until I got there. I'm not looking forward to that on harder levels.

If it is the one i think was the 2nd boss if I remember right...i did have some trouble on my first playthrough on normal. On my expert playthrough doing evil, everything seemed so much easier...i actually didnt die at all on that boss or any other

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone notice the rocker is actually playing the guitar? Finger positions, chords, strumming, etc. is all done just right. Been chilling listening to the guitar riffs for atleast 5 minutes lol.

BjUV82pCAAA-EZW.jpg:orig

This makes me very happy. Is it crazy that even after all the crazy effect pics I like the accurate guitar playing most?

Well my first night is done. Time to pass out. But man what a start! Voice acting is phenomenal. Sound effects pack plenty of punch on my surround, make sure you actually set the sound in audio to Home Theatre in settings as that really opens up the surround effects and seemed to give more punch to my woofer.

I love the attention to detail like at the very beginning shaking your controller made the sound of shaking the spray can out of the controller. The dude playing guitar is actually playing they guitar and he plays variations of his riffs.

Just love flying through the air and blasting apart DUP towers and watching the crash down just as I land with the pieces. SO GOOD. Controls are excellent as well. Dashing around you have full control. Travel is just plain fun. All in all, 2 1/2 hours played and loving every second. Very well done so far

XAL

Good karma 100% clear (all districts, blast shards etc. done) normal run finished. Took me around 15 hours.
I had fun, but some of the things (sidequest variety) are still pretty bad.
All in all it was the best infamous game to day, a really solid super hero open world title with great graphics and fun gameplay.
Not really surprised at those 8/10 reviews though.

Bought the collector's edition.

I always thought the infamous games were solid enough, but I was never compelled to play through them a second time.

This game is no different.

The game is gorgeous (art and level design are on point), and the gameplay engaging enough to stick through the whole thing - but it does have its problems. The side mission content gets old quickly, felt like I was going through Assassin's Creed 1 side missions leading up to the assassination (repetitive filler to get the meat). The shard collecting was just ok, Saint's Row 4 and Crackdown did it much better, the feeling is only mildly comparable due to the fact that Neon/Video are the only abilities that give you that feeling of supreme mobility. Smoke is rather lumbering by comparison, and by the time you get
concrete
there is nothing left to do with it. Movement can be sticky and clunky at times and there are some glitches I've encountered as well (DUP scenery loading on top of other scenery, ie cars - as well as clipping through/into buildings only to slowly vibrate outwards).

I 100%'d in about 9 hours.

I would call this a definite rental for those on the fence.

7.5/10

My only wish is that there was more post-campaign content to be able to utilize the last power more. It also sucks that you can only get it from
fallen DUP dudes in south Seattle
I would have assumed you could just pull it from anywhere, given the prevalence of the material.

The first paper trail mission was...interesting enough for me to want to know more, but it looks like the sync with the website is broken for now.

ChrisW

This has been the hardest part in the game for me, until I eventually thought about what I was doing, glad there was checkpoints.

I enjoyed the first one too. I wish we were getting more backstory on the DUP in some cutscenes.

Just got the third power, not got all the abilities yet and was late so haven't had chance to experiment with it yet.

Been using Neon so my hi that it takes me a bit if time to adjust to using smoke again. Wish your health with neon didn't drain so fast though and the lack of slow down when evil makes head shots hard.

wapplew

Played 6 hours yesterday and I'm starting to know why infamous fans love infamous.
Control is very responsive, dash move is super fun.
But this game not quite like other press X for awesome games, I can see why some might not like it.
The game require you to put some effort to make things become super satisfying for yourself. Mixing your ability and pull off some crazy combo is what make the game special for me.

Also
How can you not love Unlimited neon dash!

Lucent

Anyone choose the evil option when your first asked? I know I did :p

lol no. Saving evil path for the 2nd playthrough. I feel that being evil will be easier since you don't have to worry about blowing up civilians and can just destroy everything without precision. Definitely gonna save that for expert mode.

genbatzu

S¡mon;105263315 said:
It needs to be a pre-ordered copy. Oh, and you can't be European because than you are excluded from the DLC.

how do you mean this?

i preordered inFamous:SS on us psn store, although I'm from EU and can use all DLCs (the jackets and Cole's Legacy)

~~Hasan~~

This is the first time since god knows when i play a game for so long in one shot. I think since finak fantasy x in ps2

This game is stunning. Every time i see the graphics i am in awe. Seriously its just that pretty.

The face animation and the skin of Del is just wow.
I played 3 hours non stop yeaterday and i am in love

kyser73

Played from about 2200 thru 0200, haven't got neon yet but am close to maxing evil smoke powers. Have cleared two districts (both at about 85% - can't be arsed to do the agent tracking missions) and completed the first part of Cole's Legacy.

Damn impressed with this - traversal is phenomenal, so much more intuitive & smooth than previous games, and I'm starting to work out how best to do environmental damage
like targeting the join between towers & walkway so the whole thing comes down in one go
. Loving the OD too - it's a good incentive to make sure any mini-rampages have a decent number of DUP.

Looks gorgeous too. Properly impressed with this.

This game is unplayable.

So I was playing the game earlier and then took a break, and hours later came back to the game. However, when I turn on my PS4 it told me an application (I presume it was Second Son) was updating and then I booted up SS once that finished.

But now when I load into the world, everything is too dark. Its as if the world was at night but without any lighting whatsoever I've tried adjusting the game's brightness, my TV, and setting PS4 to HDMI Limited, but none of these have helped. So I figured it must bee the update that I noticed earlier but I can't see to find the patch to delete it so I tried deleting the whole game, but the problem still persists.

Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any workarounds? Is this a bug?

Here are some screenshots I took via PS4.

iSSblackout_zps0fdc8b34.jpg

iSSblackred_zps03e9c67d.jpg

iSSred_zps174c5a63.jpg

wapplew

This game is unplayable.

So I was playing the game earlier and then took a break, and hours later came back to the game. However, when I turn on my PS4 it told me an application (I presume it was Second Son) was updating and then I booted up SS once that finished.

But now when I load into the world, everything is too dark. Its as if the world was at night but without any lighting whatsoever I've tried adjusting the game's brightness, my TV, and setting PS4 to HDMI Limited, but none of these have helped. So I figured it must bee the update that I noticed earlier but I can't see to find the patch to delete it so I tried deleting the whole game, but the problem still persists.

Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any workarounds? Is this a bug?

Here are some screenshots I took via PS4.

iSSblackout_zps0fdc8b34.jpg

iSSblackred_zps03e9c67d.jpg~original

iSSred_zps174c5a63.jpg

Look like you need a third sun.

Top Bottom