• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The enemy variety is a bit of a bummer, especially with how they were handled in the last two games. I thought the way the first game did the enemies was perfect, with each district having it's own enemy type.

psn

Anyone did the mission where
you have to find a conduit inside of the toilets? I shot the 3 angels after and have to find him in 4 places, but I can't. I climbed up buildings, I ran on the ground, can't find him.

I wish there were more radiant missions on this. I didn't want to progress too much last night (which has basically ended up with me fully upgrading Neon and Smoke and being Level 4 good Karma after literally just getting Neon) and I'll always free Conduits or stop drug deals if I see them happening, I just wish there were more.

Pop

hMetvx8.jpg

4xixNdk.jpg

Enemies get a little harder further into the game you get. At first I was just bull rushing but now I gotta stay back a little.

Phreaker

Only got through the first couple hours last night. I can't get over how great the game looks - the graphics, lighting, performance capture, models, FINGERS. So nice not to see mutant hands, but something that looks natural. I'm really impressed.

lmbotiva

guys, do i need to register on the paper trail website in order to play the mission in game? i did the first part yesterday and said my account couldn't be found, play again, i don't know if this was because the servers are getting hammered or because i need to register, can anyone clarify this for me please

Jharp

how do you do the "good" version of some stuff? I did the first phone mission, where the helicopter comes after you, and shot cinder rockets at it. It was destroyed and I got bad karma for killing five civilians. What? What the hell am I supposed to do to a goddamn chopper?

Also, are the red icons on the map just points of interest? I thought they were side missions, but I watched a street musician play music for a while with nothing happening and no apparent interaction becoming available, and after getting the smoke nade, I lobbed one into a protest and subdued everyone but got bad karma for assaulting civilians (this one makes sense, unlike the chopper one), and no mission complete confirmation.

So I'm guessing red icons are just stuff in the world, and not side-mission stuff.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
how do you do the "good" version of some stuff? I did the first phone mission, where the helicopter comes after you, and shot cinder rockets at it. It was destroyed and I got bad karma for killing five civilians. What? What the hell am I supposed to do to a goddamn chopper?

Also, are the red icons on the map just points of interest? I thought they were side missions, but I watched a street musician play music for a while with nothing happening and no apparent interaction becoming available, and after getting the smoke nade, I lobbed one into a protest and subdued everyone but got bad karma for assaulting civilians (this one makes sense, unlike the chopper one), and no mission complete confirmation.

So I'm guessing red icons are just stuff in the world, and not side-mission stuff.
Red and blue icons are karma opportunities. You do what's expected and win karma for it (usually it's attack civilians doing something for evil karma and subdue or help for good karma). With collateral damage sometimes you just gotta eat that miss. It's not gonna affect you too much.

CryptiK

I'm actually disappointed about the whole DUP is the only gang/enemy especially with only concrete being their power. I also hope we get good DLC expanding on the ending and new powers.

EGM1966

Trying to climb the buildings without using the vents or one of the special powers is a pain in the ass

It feels to me like the traversal elements are more of a hangover from the first games here than a design focus - like Sucker Punch felt they should retain that element when they took the engine/mechanics from PS3 forward to PS4.

Not only does it feel weak and awkward most of the time but buildings and layouts don't align to climbing that well it feels to me - they've been designed around using powers to zip up them it feels like.

After initially traversing a bit out of habit I've now almost entirely dropped it apart from some small scale hops up onto lamp posts and the like for elevated firing positions.

It feels to me like the traversal elements are more of a hangover from the first games here than a design focus - like Sucker Punch felt they should retain that element when they took the engine/mechanics from PS3 forward to PS4.

Not only does it feel weak and awkward most of the time but buildings and layouts don't align to climbing that well it feels to me - they've been designed around using powers to zip up them it feels like.

After initially traversing a bit out of habit I've now almost entirely dropped it apart from some small scale hops up onto lamp posts and the like for elevated firing positions.
Exactly!!

Bought the collector's edition.

I always thought the infamous games were solid enough, but I was never compelled to play through them a second time.

This game is no different.

I won't quote your entire post, but I'm pretty sure you just spoiled the third power for me and potentially others (begins with a
V
). Might want to edit that out.

Just finished it. Wouldn't have guessed I was so close to the end. Games lately, even short ones, seem to overstay their welcome. I didn't want this game to end. But it did (kind of abruptly too). So I guess that's both a compliment and a complaint.

It does feel rushed. They focused on getting the graphics and the powers right with the time they had. Naturally, everything else suffers. But I can forgive its shortcomings because it was just a blast to play from beginning to end. And the visuals are the best I've seen.

I am glad I have a PS4 to play it.

Kuldar

guys, do i need to register on the paper trail website in order to play the mission in game? i did the first part yesterday and said my account couldn't be found, play again, i don't know if this was because the servers are getting hammered or because i need to register, can anyone clarify this for me please
Yes, you have to register on the paper trail website and link it with your PSN account.
The website is barely aviable, good luck.

coldone

haha this. Also getting shot from 30 different directions

You nailed it. It was the biggest un-expected change from previous infamous games. Infamous1/Infamous2 had better layout for fights. Previous games allowed to survey the layout and fight from distance. Now.. they are pushing more towards melee .

cackhyena

Only played an hour and a half so far, but I'm seriously scratching my head as to how they manage to make climbing buildings even less fun than previous games while also having such a well realized city, visually speaking, sound absolutely dead.

SSReborn

This game is really fun, but man I can't believe how much of a rehash it is

Movement feels near identical to previous games, the mission structure, regaining areas of the city. It's just the same thing. That's not to say the game isn't enjoyable, but it's disappointing the game really seems to lack ambition

The whole concept of a superhero game is so flexible, why do they need to focus on such a simple formula?

At least the story and characters are quite enjoyable this time

This is how I feel exactly otherwise it's a pretty awesome game. Just thought they would expand the structure of the game a bit more outside the main missions.

Vroadstar

Lolz, I'm pretty sure someone from the Philippines is working for Sucker Punch with this billboard.

You definitely don't want to do that in the morning : )

33we9JTl.jpg
[/IMG]

You nailed it. It was the biggest un-expected change from previous infamous games. Infamous1/Infamous2 had better layout for fights. Previous games allowed to survey the layout and fight from distance. Now.. they are pushing more towards melee .
I don't agree with this at all. I rarely use melee, even when enemies swarm I can escape so quickly to higher ground, and a better vantage point, that it never feels like I'm forced to fight up close. There are so many options to combat; the only drawback is when you're playing as a hero you have to be careful of AOE attacks. I've killed 3 civilians by mistake so far; feels bad : /

Loudninja

I don't agree with this at all. I rarely use melee, even when enemies swarm I can escape so quickly to higher ground, and a better vantage point, that it never feels like I'm forced to fight up close. There are so many options to combat; the only drawback is when you're playing as a hero you have to be careful of AOE attacks. I've killed 3 civilians by mistake so far; feels bad : /
Yeah that just not true, do use melee because it fun to me not because it my only option.

pompidu

This is how I feel exactly otherwise it's a pretty awesome game. Just thought they would expand the structure of the game a bit more outside the main missions.

I think the combination of a small team and Sony wanting to rush this game out asap makes for some rushed missions. This isnt rockstar with 500 employees and are given the liberty of 4 years to make the game, small team on a small time table.

melos

Came in to ask this and how to find the Cole's Legacy mission

Cole's legacy will come up as an exclamation mark on the map after you complete the first mission in Seattle.

To change jackets press the Option button and swipe left on the trackpad until you get to the section that details delsin. Press X and you can change there.

Cole's legacy will come up as an exclamation mark on the map after you complete the first mission in Seattle.

To change jackets press the Option button and swipe left on the trackpad until you get to the section that details delsin. Press X and you can change there.

Thanks!

Just beat it on 100% good play-through. I'd give it a solid 7/10. Good game. It's a ton of fun. In my opinion, it follows the classic inFamous formula which means after about 2 hours or so every mission is a variation of about 3 missions. The powers are really fun to play with and the voice acting and facial animations are very impressive, it's an inFamous game. If you've played the previous 2, you've played this. It's how much you enjoyed the other in the series that will let you decide if it's worth your time. Me personally? It was awesome and I'm glad I played it. I was also genuinely surprised by the 2 unrevealed powers and was glad I avoided the spoilers. Great 7/10 game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
got it this morning, played a couple of hours or so (save says 17% completed), its...alright? Its not really grabbing me to be honest, just like the sequel didnt (but I loved the first). Its very pretty, but thats about it so far. Movement feels a bit sluggish (as did the previous I guess, at least in my opinion), I still hate how sometimes you cant tell where shots are coming from when things get hectic and how incredibly acurate enemies are. I still hate how magnetic you are (no I dont want to jump on this rail I just want to jump ffs) even tho youre not even electric anymore :p I hate how frail you feel overall just like in Infamous 2, seems im spending more time running away than actually fighting. Maybe Im just shit which is very possible, but its not doing much for me so far.

I ended up dropping Infamous 2 back in the day and not finishing it, hopefully this one gets better (well, better for me of course). I realize I used the word hate a lot back there, but I am somewhat enjoying it, Im not disliking it or anything.

Also, I miss grinding on rails :(

Top Bottom