• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I like how when people post positive scores, those get glossed over, but a negative review is enough to give the thread over 300 replies. Kind of ridiculous, but it's gaf, so I guess I should know better.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
WickedLaharl said:
any particular reason why you feel the need to troll people that like tales games?
I'm pretty sure he's just trolling Tales. Anyways, this is a thread about a Tri-Ace game. There IS a thread for discussion of that other RPG.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ill have to watch this video review. It seems kind of strange that this reviewer liked Lost Osyssey, which had you stopping to change skills and what not fairly often, then turns around nad shoots that down in this review.

Dr. Strangelove said:
I'm pretty sure he's just trolling Tales. Anyways, this is a thread about a Tri-Ace game. There IS a thread for discussion of that other RPG.

actually he's been doing both.

and i'm aware of what thread i'm in. however other people keep bringing up the game. not my fault.

this shitty trolling simply hurts threads for those that want to enjoy both games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WickedLaharl said:
any particular reason why you feel the need to troll people that like tales games?
I hold this truth to be self-evident.

I have not said anything about people who play Tales, wtf. I am not trolling Himu.

Stop whining, you sound like a Tales protagonist.

Y2Kev said:
Stop whining, you sound like a Tales protagonist.

stop being an ass and maybe i will.

and you telling me to stop whining when you venture into so many threads and tell others to stop whining is a laugh.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WickedLaharl said:
stop being an ass and maybe i will.
Fine, but first you have to go save my family being help captive by rogue cheagles and then you have to fix my airship which needs parts from across the Himalayas.

Burli

Pringo
Y2Kev said:
Fine, but first you have to go save my family being help captive by rogue cheagles and then you have to fix my airship which needs parts from across the Himalayas.

Beautiful

Y2Kev said:

I'm not trolling it's just a JOKE HURRRR

is what you want people to believe.

Error said:
I like how when people post positive scores, those get glossed over, but a negative review is enough to give the thread over 300 replies. Kind of ridiculous, but it's gaf, so I guess I should know better.

considering IGN's review is the only one I can read at the particular moment, then yeah, i happen to give a damn about that one more than the other. i actually agreed with Goldstein's review on Lost Odyssey, so this makes me a little nervous. Still, his review really wasn't as good...I mean, not even a mention to Situation Battles. So, I'll wait for more reviews, but since this is the only one at the moment ....

batbeg

Every time I'd seen a picture of Kiriya, I thought "Wow, that girl looks a lot like Freya." Then I finally watched the new trailer with the sound on...

azj9rd.png

That's a guy? Damn. Blew my mind anyway.

batbeg

Yeah, it's the one I was just talking about having rewatched :) I'm happy you posted it, though, as the first comment proves I'm not alone in my thoughts about Kiriya :lol

Himuro said:
It's been on my list. Still haven't gotten the chance to play it.

It's a lot of fun. The city of Radiata is one of my all-time favorite environments in a game, it feels really fleshed out with its distinct neighborhoods and districts, and is wonderful to explore. The game is gorgeous to look at as well.

Yaweee

chaostrophy said:
It's a lot of fun. The city of Radiata is one of my all-time favorite environments in a game, it feels really fleshed out with its distinct neighborhoods and districts, and is wonderful to explore. The game is gorgeous to look at as well.
The save point (non-plural) placement and non-skippable cutscenes pissed the hell out of me. I got one-shotted by a boss after a very long scene and got too pissed off to resume it.

It does handle the daily schedule theme fantastically. If you love Shenmue, you'll probably at least like Radiata.

Error

FateBreaker said:
considering IGN's review is the only one I can read at the particular moment, then yeah, i happen to give a damn about that one more than the other. i actually agreed with Goldstein's review on Lost Odyssey, so this makes me a little nervous. Still, his review really wasn't as good...I mean, not even a mention to Situation Battles. So, I'll wait for more reviews, but since this is the only one at the moment ....
I dunno man, Gamespot gave VP1 a 7.2 back then...

I would just wait before jumping on the gun. The dude clearly didn't like the game AT ALL. He didn't like any of the design choices in the game, clearly a game not for him. he also went in expecting seamless Star Ocean and got something else...

The fact that he complained about having too much to manage kinda just made me ignore the review, like I said if he played VP2 he would've totally hated it. considering the game has a SHITLOAD of subsystems and items to equip.

Aeana

The Famitsu Xbox reviewers are generally much more positive about the game. The cons are about what I expected, except for the part about lack of hints which could be a bit worrying.

Error

there's thread in gfaqs with someone posting impressions, looks pretty legit to me.

Anyway, hard mode is unlocked after finishing the game in NORMAL. The game warns you about content added depending on the difficulty level selected... so that explains why the dude in IGN was like "wtf!? only 20 hours long?!?!". seems playing on hard will let you experience stuff that is not in normal mode (I'm guessing the usual tri-Ace bonus dungeon is hard mode exclusive). I don't even understand why he didn't mention this...

the person seems to really like the game. although he/she complains about the lack of pausing to navigate menus in battles (I swear that's going to be this game's "MP death!? wtf?!!?!").

Error said:
there's thread in gfaqs with someone posting impressions, looks pretty legit to me.

Anyway, hard mode is unlocked after finishing the game in NORMAL. The game warns you about content added depending on the difficulty level selected... so that explains why the dude in IGN was like "wtf!? only 20 hours long?!?!". seems playing on hard will let you experience stuff that is not in normal mode (I'm guessing the usual tri-Ace bonus dungeon is hard mode exclusive). I don't even understand why he didn't mention this...

the person seems to really like the game. although he/she complains about the lack of pausing to navigate menus in battles (I swear that's going to be this game's "MP death!? wtf?!!?!").

Kind of dumb to make you play through the game twice to get any bonus content that appears simply because of HARD mode becoming available. Would have been better if it was selectable from the start like it was for VP 1

Error

I could see why they are forcing you to play through normal first, though. I don't think anyone would be able to finish VP1 on hard in a first playthrough... I know I didn't, I went with normal first. then tackled hard later. tri-Ace fans are used to replaying their games. hard mode is for tri-Ace fans.

KTallguy

Banned
Error said:
just saw the scan with the Famitsu Xbox score, so the 34/40 score is real.

edit: summary of the review. http://game14.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/gamerpg/1219846962/182

Pretty decent comments.

They like the "DANCING RHAPSODY" over there in Japan :lol

Hmmmm man maybe I will rent this ...

And yea, VP1's hard mode had PLENTY of content that wasn't in normal mode. I honestly don't get why Tri-Ace does this anymore. I was SUPER PISSED upon beating VP1 to that horrible scrolling text screen :lol

Of course I faqed it and got the good ending on hard, but I guess the initial shock still lingers.

Rpgmonkey

No hard from the start? :(

Would've been nice to give it a try.

I don't think I'll mind playing through this again though. I have an easier time going through more action-oriented games a few times than a couple of turnbased games.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Error said:
I don't think anyone would be able to finish VP1 on hard in a first playthrough...
If you're going to do it, go for it the first chance you get. Worry later. :D

But I suppose it's okay to play through twice if indeed there's still the bonus dungeons and stuff that is the trademark of tri-Ace games. Outside of the technical flaws, this is my biggest concern for IU at the moment.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Kyoufu said:
So.Much.Negativity.

Looks like IU won't be as good as we thought it would.

I think I'll buy it regardless. Even though it's short, I'll more than likely run through it at least twice, if only to experience the bonus content.

Although I don't think it's should be criticized because of it's length, as many have said, JRPGS are too long these days.

Error

I don't really understand why 25 hours long is bad, VP1 was a 25 hours game... 30 if you played on hard. No one complained.

duckroll

Error said:
I don't really understand why 25 hours long is bad, VP1 was a 25 hours game... 30 if you played on hard. No one complained.

I think the circumstances are a little different here. With VP2, it was coming out on the PS2 in a time when TotA, FFXII, etc were all hitting, so there wasn't any hype or any expectations on the reviewers' part on it. IU is the first S-E next-gen RPG being released, and it's pretty much the biggest RPG title next to ToV now. Lots more pressure and expectations so there's a different attitude I guess.

Error

You are probably right. the fact that he said "This lacks the awesome and mindblowing CGs you are used to see from Square Enix titles" makes me think he was expecting a 60 hours behemoth, full of CG cutscenes and the usual Square Enix flair.

VP2 only had 2 CG cutscenes, intro before the title screen and the opening movie when starting the game. Maybe it's the same with IU.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Remember the Seraphic Gate in VP1? Atleast back in the day you had to work for that bonus dungeon. I'd play through this game twice just to mess with the Bonus Dungeon.

Teknoman

Ermac said:
I think I'll buy it regardless. Even though it's short, I'll more than likely run through it at least twice, if only to experience the bonus content.

Although I don't think it's should be criticized because of it's length, as many have said, JRPGS are too long these days.

Hasnt 40-50 hrs been standard for RPGs since...PS1/Saturn/N64 era? Its not like its a recent trend. That being said, IU seems like the kind of RPG you'd end up replaying since you couldnt get everything done the first time through...or at least, longevity comes from the end game material.

Ermac

Teknoman said:
Hasnt 40-50 hrs been standard for RPGs since...PS1/Saturn/N64 era? Its not like its a recent trend. That being said, IU seems like the kind of RPG you'd end up replaying since you couldnt get everything done the first time through...or at least, longevity comes from the end game material.

True, but alot of RPGs this and last gen have been longer (for me at least). Off the top of my head, Persona 3, DQVIII, FFXII, and ToV.

DiddyBop

rpg length whores need to chill. a good 10-15 hours in lengthy rpgs are usually spent doing pointless fetch quests that add absolutely nothing to the sotry and are only there to add "value". a well paced 25 hour rpg is perfect.

Ermac

DiddyBop said:
rpg length whores need to chill. a good 10-15 hours in lengthy rpgs are usually spent doing pointless fetch quests that add absolutely nothing to the sotry and are only there to add "value". a well paced 25 hour rpg is perfect.

Agreed.

Teknoman

Ermac said:
True, but alot of RPGs this and last gen have been longer (for me at least). Off the top of my head, Persona 3, DQVIII, FFXII, and ToV.

Point taken. Havent played ToV yet, but P3, DQVIII, and FFXII did last quite awhile...

duckroll

WickedLaharl said:
what about the baiters? do they need to shut up as well?

There are no "baiters", many tri-Ace fans really just can't stand crappy Tales games. If you find that offensive, don't post in a tri-Ace thread. You'll get run out of it. That's the law of the land.

Top Bottom