• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

alanias

Error said:
1up is going to give it a totally average score, I say you cancel your peorder now or whatever.

Not really worried about the score, mostly just want a review that's a little better written and more informative. Hilary's was kind of... lacking.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Error said:
Hillary did mention Star Ocean 3 is one of his favorite RPGs of last gen, though.

:lol Well that's that. SO3 was one of the biggest pile of shit jRPGs I played last gen, I quit that game in disgust after going through 15 hours of it.

Guess I'll be getting Infinite Undiscovery now.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
duckroll said:
I watched the video review, and I'm really not sure what the problems he's alledging come from, aside from the framerate issues and crappy side quests. He could be right that the action is simplistic and/or confusing, but he doesn't do a good job of painting that picture. He complains that the game is short and that there are too many characters and systems for such a short game, but at the same time he proclaims at the start that he's a big SO3 fan, while never mentioning VP2. I have to wonder if the reviewer enjoyed VP2, because that would put things in better perspective. I enjoyed VP2 way more than SO3, and in comparison to SO3, VP2 is definitely a shorter RPG with many more systems and characters. IU seems to follow a lot in the VP trend as opposed to SO, so I wonder if it was just a matter of what he was expecting from the game versus what the game actually was...
He would've totally hated VP2, his biggest complain was "equipping all this stuff is such a hassle!" and VP2's skill system consists of equipping/unequipping a bunch of items.

Also VP2 is a short game.

Aaron

alanias said:
Not really worried about the score, mostly just want a review that's a little better written and more informative. Hilary's was kind of... lacking.
... so you're going to 1up? :lol

I'm waiting for Gametrailers to weigh in myself. About the only pro site worth a glance.

Spruchy

You guys can bash on the ign review all you want but you do not need to have a distinct love for RPGs to know that:

Precise button pressing parries as an only means a defense + Massive frame dips all over the place = One huge motherfucking flaw.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The video does not really match up with the end score. He's really scathing, and there are some problems definitely visible-- namely the framerate, which seems kind of bad. And I could definitely see how managing 18 characters' equipment and connect abilities could get cumbersome.

But it definitely looks and sounds very ncie and I don't mind shorter games (I prefer them). Whether or not the game matches up to VP2 well (which shares a lot of these traits but also has one of the best combat systems ever) remains to be seen.

But save your money for Vesperia? Vomitttttt

Error

seems famitsu xbox gave it a 34/40.

edit: Famitsu Xbox gave 34/40 to Vesperia as well.

Captain N

One thing that really has me kind of excited about the game is the whole storyline. It sounds pretty neat with the whole being mistaken for a hero and then becoming one throughout the story...funny stuff.

w4yn3

Hellraizer said:
German 360 Mag "360-live" gave it an 8.8/10 stating that its "maybe the best jrpg for the 360 so far".

Love/hate affair indeed.
Don't forget to mention that, according to this mag, it contains japanese voices after all.

I just hope this mag is reliable.

Bleeders

It was a day one, think I might wait till next-year now, too much coming out and will go for TOV instead.

Though this doesn't look bad at all and I loved VP.

Why the hell every Xbox360 exclusive JRPG is doomed to fall into the "average"-category, at least review-wise? It's like a curse or something... Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, even Trusty Bell and now (if IGN-review is on the line with the upcoming reviews) Infinite Undiscovery too.

Maybe Tales Of Vesperia is set to break the "curse" but anyway, IU still looks pretty sweet to me.

PetriP-TNT said:
Why the hell every Xbox360 exclusive JRPG is doomed to fall into the "average"-category, at least review-wise? It's like a curse or something... Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, even Trusty Bell and now (if IGN-review is on the line with the upcoming reviews) Infinite Undiscovery too.

Maybe Tales Of Vesperia is set to break the "curse" but anyway, IU still looks pretty sweet to me.
Like I said, FFXIII will definitely break the curse, with IGN giving it the usual Final Fantasy 9.5 that they have done for FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII...

Don't forget to mention that, according to this mag, it contains japanese voices after all.

I just hope this mag is reliable.
We'll have to wait and see, I still kinda doubt it...

batbeg

Error said:
He would've totally hated VP2, his biggest complain was "equipping all this stuff is such a hassle!" and VP2's skill system consists of equipping/unequipping a bunch of items.

Also VP2 is a short game.

Is it really? If so, length really won't bother me, because VP2 took me 60 hours to beat without doing the endgame dungeon :lol

jett said:
Watching the IGN review...this game is average-looking at best. You have to wonder what's the deal with the Star Ocean 4 pics released. :p

considering you Game on an SD TV average or below average graphics should not bother you right?

batbeg said:
Is it really? If so, length really won't bother me, because VP2 took me 60 hours to beat without doing the endgame dungeon :lol

wtf how can u have beat it then if u didnt do the endgame dungeon

alanias said:
Well, what did you expect, an oscar-worthy review?

batbeg

Gizmo_Monkey said:
wtf how can u have beat it then if u didnt do the endgame dungeon

Easily. The endgame dungeon is a bonus dungeon, separate from the main game. I saved it in one file, went and beat the game, saved my end game in another file.

Edit: As duckroll said. Except I didn't think of it as a typo, I thought it was kind of obvious what I meant as it opens at the end of the game :lol

Aurora

I have to say, while I wasn't expecting a grand review, I expected a score higher than 7.1. And there was a lot to complain about too. Hmm.

duckroll

batbeg said:
Easily. The endgame dungeon is a bonus dungeon, separate from the main game. I saved it in one file, went and beat the game, saved my end game in another file.

Edit: As duckroll said. Except I didn't think of it as a typo, I thought it was kind of obvious what I meant as it opens at the end of the game :lol

Dude, usually when people say "endgame dungeon" they would be referring to the final dungeon at the endgame segment. :)

HiResDes

PetriP-TNT said:

I'm sorry but very little about Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata are average to me...I don't give a damn about what reviewers say, but most reviewers agreed that Eternal Sonata is a great game, even though I had a lot more fun playing Lost Odyssey...I just wish I could actually see my new armor when I equip it, but at least in Lost Odyssey you could actually visually tell when you switched weapons.

batbeg

intheinbetween said:
still no signs of life of the 1up, eurogamer, and gamespot reviews?

:(

I've had the gamestats page open for about a day and refresh it every now and again in hopes of a new review having been posted.

i've been thinking about the IGN review, and i'm still day one for IU, it didn't make me reconsider the purchase, but i really like to have more impressions because i can't hardly wait to play it, i don't care if it is 20 hours long, even more, i've been thinking that maybe i should do the first run on the normal level, and then jump to the hard one, i dunno if that would hurt the experience..

batbeg

I fucking love VP2. Best game of last generation for me, hands down. People can bitch about the story as if it'd relevant, but the gameplay was so damn amazing that I would've even put up with the worst of stories (which, though it was bad, it was not the worst I've endured by a long shot).

Holy shit I want to smack some monsters in the air. I was thinking about doing another VP2 playthrough but I don't know if I could do it by next Friday.

Error

Himu has sided with the enemy, you are no longer my friend. In fact, I'm sending you back those gundam dvds :(

sorry if this has been asked before, but what exactly happened with the publisher of UI?....first MS, but then ended up being SquareEnix?

Volcynika

AgentOtaku said:
sorry if this has been asked before, but what exactly happened with the publisher of UI?....first MS, but then ended up being SquareEnix?

I think MS handed it off to SE since they know RPGs more or w/e.

Volcynika said:
Ironically, the game wont have any localisation except the english one in any territory (at least in europe), when I look at what MS did with BD or LO it is a pity that they gave the publishing rights to SE...

Duderz

Banned
Himuro said:
VP2 owns. Doubt tri-ace will top it. i'm not a big fan of tri-ace unless the words VALKYRIE are in the title.

I was this way too, but then I played Radiata Stories. It had problems (lots of them, actually), but I loved that little game.

Hellraizer said:
Ironically, the game wont have any localisation except the english one in any territory (at least in europe), when I look at what MS did with BD or LO it is a pity that they gave the publishing rights to SE...

Indeed I am rather disappointed by that. It was interesting playing LO in languages besides English and Japanese.

Cianalas

Volcynika said:
I would think it would be more because the SE brand would go further in selling the game at retail than the MGS brand.

Teknoman

Duderz said:
I was this way too, but then I played Radiata Stories. It had problems (lots of them, actually), but I loved that little game.

Like what?

(serious question, because other than the whole 60fps field, 30fps battle, I didnt see anything wrong)

Top Bottom