• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

ampere

I don't really like hearing that there are so many characters, and not enough time for them to be fleshed out. But god I love the freaking combat system o.o

batbeg

Bleh. Watched the video review, and only one of the complaints really struck me as one that may be a problem to me: that the slowdown can make parrying more difficult does sound annoying. If the 50+ sidequests are also as lame as they're made out to be, then boo. Aside from that though, I feel good to go. Still want some new reviews, but I'm already salivating :D

Dragon

Banned
batbeg said:
Bleh. Watched the video review, and only one of the complaints really struck me as one that may be a problem to me: that the slowdown can make parrying more difficult does sound annoying. If the 50+ sidequests are also as lame as they're made out to be, then boo. Aside from that though, I feel good to go. Still want some new reviews, but I'm already salivating :D

I just looked at this game for the first time.

They chain the fucking moon in this game. The fucking moon! I don't need to know anymore.

Day One.

If I can get through the 'sidequests' in Crisis Core I think I'll be alright in here.

I couldn't stand the slowdown in LO though so I'll struggle through that!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Why would you even try to use RDs when there's a bunch of enemies coming from all sides?

Honestly I watched the vid review, and it made me even more excited for it. I find it hilarious how he keeps spamming the same moves over and over and over and over. None of his combos go past the 10 hits mark... Well one did, and it was because the AI kept the combo alive lolz

jett

D-Member
Watching the IGN review...this game is average-looking at best. You have to wonder what's the deal with the Star Ocean 4 pics released. :p

jett said:
Watching the IGN review...this game is average-looking at best. You have to wonder what's the deal with the Star Ocean 4 pics released. :p

in motion SO4 looks great as well though...check the trailer...I think its fair to say it looks a good deal better than IU graphically....infact, despite the setting, the characters etc look very similar, I would almost say this game looks like a prototype before SO4 release

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I wonder if its a matter of teams that were assigned to each game or something? I'm not sure how tri-Ace is broken up internally (if at all).

Akai

nelsonroyale said:
in motion SO4 looks great as well though...check the trailer...I think its fair to say it looks a good deal better than IU graphically....infact, despite the setting, the characters etc look very similar, I would almost say this game looks like a prototype before SO4 release

Unfair comparison considering IU has a seamless overworld, and Star Ocean does not...Of course SO4 should look better...

Error

Did he really complain about navigating menus to equip characters in an RPG? I mean really, can't be worse and it doesn't look as bad as ME interface at least.

Also not a single mention of IC in the game, nothing not even in the written review. that's just weird.

HiResDes

Quazar said:
Can I just have 1 other review for tonight? FUCK.
Orange said:
Unlike many role players, Infinite Undiscovery focuses on real-time battles with on-screen enemies. The days of random battles and turn-based, ponderous strategising are on the wane. The game sports a rather preposterous tale of the Moon being tethered to the Earth by baddies, unleashing monsters on the world. It’s a concept that opens the way for a big party of disparate characters to fight many monsters and save the world as is the wont of all RPGs.

Using a system called Connect you can command other members of your party using the “face” buttons. In battles this means you can control which special attacks your party members use while you hack and slash away with your own character, the game’s main protagonist, Capell. Outside of battle your party members can perform tasks such as talking to animals to gain information and finding hidden treasures. There’s a fun cooking game within your inventory but don’t expect to be spending lots of time looking through menus: the game doesn’t pause when you’re in the inventory so you could be attacked by enemies on the field while changing your armour or cooking up a nice dessert.

The mix of fast action play and deep character customisation should attract both hardcore RPG heads and those new to the genre. Discover the undiscoverable this September.

8/10
LINK
Happy?... Probably not, right, lol.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yeah that IGN review seemed poorly written. I never like it when a reviewer states "poor character designs" as fact. Like, what the fuck do you know about character design, you know.

From the concept and screens, this is some of the better design work Ive seen in a long time.

Blackjack

Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah that IGN review seemed poorly written. I never like it when a reviewer states "poor character designs" as fact. Like, what the fuck do you know about character design, you know.

From the concpet and screens, this is some of the better design work Ive seen in a long time.
Well, what the fuck do you know about character design? It does work both ways, after all. :lol

Personally, I'm split between the two. Some characters (Aya, Michelle, Edward, etc) look really good. Others (the twins, that dagger using kid, etc) ...not so much.

Quazar

Blackjack said:
Well, what the fuck do you know about character design? It does work both ways, after all. :lol

Personally, I'm split between the two. Some characters (Aya, Michelle, Edward, etc) look really good. Others (the twins, that dagger using kid, etc) ...not so much.

His profile says:

Artist @ EA Salt Lake

Just saying...

Blackjack said:
Well, what the fuck do you know about character design?

dqkccx.png

WOW @ the IGN video review, it says it's worst than Star Ocean 3!! WORST!!! :lol :lol

It make sounds like way worse than the web review....,just in the first lines....

Error

Relaxed Muscle said:
WOW @ the IGN video review, it says it's worst than Star Ocean 3!! WORST!!! :lol :lol

It make sounds like way worse than the web review....,just in the first lines....
Hillary did mention Star Ocean 3 is one of his favorite RPGs of last gen, though.

Relaxed Muscle said:

But...does it have an ending that reveals that you were in the Matrix all along?

I am so waiting until this shows up used

Error said:
Hillary did mention Star Ocean 3 is one of his favorite RPGs of last gen, though.

Well I know it got a pretty good rate at IGN (not the same guy, anyway...), and figured it out that he liked it, but SO3 it's pretty below in my ranking, saying this game is worst, is pretty heavy to me.... :lol

Anyway, watching the video review, even the compliments, this games looks pretty fun to me, and not "mediocre" by any means...

purg3

slept with Malkin
Relaxed Muscle said:
Well I know it got a pretty good rate at IGN (not the same guy, anyway...), and figured it out that he liked it, but SO3 it's pretty below in my ranking, saying this game is worst, is pretty heavy to me.... :lol

Anyway, watching the video review, even the compliments, this games looks pretty fun to me, and not "mediocre" by any means...

That's what I was worried about since I thought SO3 was dogshit. Still picking up IU though, I think the short gameplay length will be beneficial.

DiddyBop

you guys really shoudlnt let one man's opinion change your buying habits. while the review confirms my thought that this game is not worth 60 bucks,i will for sure be picking it up later. i still wouldnt bought this game even if it got a 4/10 rating. i have faith in tri-ace.

2DMention

Banned
HEre's my dilema...

I need something to play for 2 weeks before DQIV comes out..

This game is said to be 20-30 hours.. PERFECT for that..

The only problem is...

I don't want to spend $60 on a 20 hour RPG.

Conclusion: I'll wait for a price drop.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
2DMention said:
HEre's my dilema...

The only problem is...

Or rent it, if possible. I could eat this fucker up within one rental cycle.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
2DMention said:
HEre's my dilema...

The only problem is...

Buy Braid or Bionic Commando? Theres some good cheap options out there (if you want a 360 RPG though ... mmm..)

Oh and :lol at the stuff above

2DMention

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Buy Braid or Bionic Commando? Theres some good cheap options out there (if you want a 360 RPG though ... mmm..)

Oh and :lol at the stuff above

Got BC, played it through already. Braid demo I liked, but I can't see myself dropping $15 on it.

Maybe CC will hold me for a couple of weeks.

Death_Born said:
But...does it have an ending that reveals that you were in the Matrix all along?

I am so waiting until this shows up used

you son of a bitch you just ruined a game for me that i swore i'd never finish!!

The IGN video review was brutal compared to the text, and the video shows how bad the frame rate can get, but I still am really excited for this game.

duckroll

I watched the video review, and I'm really not sure what the problems he's alledging come from, aside from the framerate issues and crappy side quests. He could be right that the action is simplistic and/or confusing, but he doesn't do a good job of painting that picture. He complains that the game is short and that there are too many characters and systems for such a short game, but at the same time he proclaims at the start that he's a big SO3 fan, while never mentioning VP2. I have to wonder if the reviewer enjoyed VP2, because that would put things in better perspective. I enjoyed VP2 way more than SO3, and in comparison to SO3, VP2 is definitely a shorter RPG with many more systems and characters. IU seems to follow a lot in the VP trend as opposed to SO, so I wonder if it was just a matter of what he was expecting from the game versus what the game actually was...

Raging Spaniard

2DMention said:
Got BC, played it through already. Braid demo I liked, but I can't see myself dropping $15 on it.

Maybe CC will hold me for a couple of weeks.

Man, youre on top of things, my backlock alone keeps me waay too busy to wonder what I'll play for the next two weeks.

I mean shit, freaking Breath of Fire FOUR is still on my list of games to finish, and I started 4 years ago

duckroll said:
I watched the video review, and I'm really not sure what the problems he's alledging come from, aside from the framerate issues and crappy side quests. He could be right that the action is simplistic and/or confusing, but he doesn't do a good job of painting that picture. He complains that the game is short and that there are too many characters and systems for such a short game, but at the same time he proclaims at the start that he's a big SO3 fan, while never mentioning VP2. I have to wonder if the reviewer enjoyed VP2, because that would put things in better perspective. I enjoyed VP2 way more than SO3, and in comparison to SO3, VP2 is definitely a shorter RPG with many more systems and characters. IU seems to follow a lot in the VP trend as opposed to SO, so I wonder if it was just a matter of what he was expecting from the game versus what the game actually was...

yeah, another thing about the length of the game....since when the fuck is being a 20-25 hour RPG such a bad thing?

I sure as hell don't have 50-60 hours in my schedule for every jRPG that comes out

*stares at Tales of Vesperia* =(

Llyranor

I'm hoping the game doesn't turn out repetitive. If the situation battles are well-designed to provide unique scenarios throughout the game, then we're set.

alanias

Just saw a TV commercial for this on Adult Swim. At least they are marketing it a little bit. I will wait for the 1up review before making a purchase decision. I usually trust their reviews a bit more.

Error

1up is going to give it a totally average score, I say you cancel your peorder now or whatever.

Teknoman

duckroll said:
Wrong thread? Here we talk about IU, not some game in another genre that has broken netcode and crash bugs. :p

*kicks rock* ; ; it'll be fixed...

Seriously though, I wish Gamestop would get in some strategy guides so I could at least flip through and check out a few of the minor enemies/weaponry. Still in my decision making phase for last 360 RPG purchase of 2008...unless Last Remnant comes out of no where and blows people away.

Top Bottom